Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

WOW! As usual your plants are all looking Awesome! What king of stretch did the Cherry pie do? I'm kinda curious as to when to stop tucking my Cherry pie scrog? I'd kind of like to just let it grow at this point...

:passitleft:
I guessing your Cherry Pie is probably an Auto?

I guessing your Cherry Pie is probably an Auto?
Hey @Vegan4life - I’ll take both your posts here - yes, mine is an auto. As far as your scrog goes, dude, I’m in no position to advise you. You know more about growing than me by ten miles. All I can offer you is that just based on my plant and your plants/scrog, and since you have photos, I’m not so sure any comparisons are really apropos in this case. Your leaves look different, and again, photo vs auto. But her stretch went on for a while. I didn’t count the days (probably should have), but it was two weeks easy. I had to keep tucking and spreading while she was scrogged. She went to the big tent and was freed about right when the stretch ended, and she was instantly way happier. My super thick stems didn’t lend too well to the scrog, I felt I was fighting the plant the whole time. I haven’t really seen your stems too much, what are they like? If you haven’t had a problem tucking they’re likely more manageable? If your scrog were my grow, I would probably stop tucking nowish and let the colas get a little bit of stem above the canopy with the remainder of your stretch. But that’s just me.

Bud Development and Light Level

Here’s a pretty good example of how light levels affect bud development.

This is a cola from the very top. As good as it gets on this plant. Maximum bud development. These colas are at approximately 1150 ppfd.

This is a second level cola. This level is at about 700-800 ppfd.

And this is a cola from the lowest level. These are at more like 500 ppfd.

Can you see the difference? When I look at lights to buy, one of the main things I check on the ppfd charts is the dropoff on the edges at various heights. If those drop offs are generally going to put the edges in the 300s, that’s not my light. This is why. You won’t train every plant you grow to a flat canopy. It is inevitable that you will have a plant much like this. (Any untrained plant will present approximately in this vein, with different levels of buds depending on your removal). This is also why many of us *generally* take a canopy approach. Untrained plants work better for light outdoors. Flatter canopy plants work better in a tent. But it gets way boring to me to train the same way all the time. I get bored making canopies. Plus, I’m not convinced a canopy always beats a different type of training for yield every time. Look at the yields @CaptainLucky gets from non canopied tent plants, and many others. Sometimes fewer and larger colas rule the day.

That’s my rambling all over the map post for today.

Hey @Gee64, I have a rookie watering question for you. I also use those green cheapies to measure my water level in the pots. Those things are trash for light or ph (generally they do all three), but excellent at gauging water depth level, I don’t care what the haters say. Anyway, I watered two days ago, today would be three days. I’ve generally been going two days, trying to keep her moist. But it feels like a while since the very bottom has been dry. Right now, I’m dry down to halfway. I don’t have to water. Should I? What point do you use to decide? 1/2 way? 3/4? Thanks.

Hey @Gee64, I have a rookie watering question for you. I also use those green cheapies to measure my water level in the pots. Those things are trash for light or ph (generally they do all three), but excellent at gauging water depth level, I don’t care what the haters say. Anyway, I watered two days ago, today would be three days. I’ve generally been going two days, trying to keep her moist. But it feels like a while since the very bottom has been dry. Right now, I’m dry down to halfway. I don’t have to water. Should I? What point do you use to decide? 1/2 way? 3/4? Thanks.
Also, would you mind posting a picture of what you use to top mist?

Also, would you mind posting a picture of what you use to top mist?
If you need to top mist to spread the water evenly it sounds like you've created a hydrophobic medium that's been dried out to much between waterings?

Cheers!

lol the age old question🤣. There really is no right answer here. Some strains like the soil quite dry, others a bit soggy, and the rest somewhere in between. I got tired of trying to figure it out and just started keeping everything evenly moist all the time, and I'm in cloth pots, so it's harder to overwater.

I do use the cheapo sticks just to see what's going on, and to check on my dripper timing, but to be honest, I really don't pay a lot of attention to the pots anymore other than a spot check every so often.

What I do pay attention to is RH. When my RH climbs, I probably need to turn the drippers down, and more often, when it drops too low, I need to up the dripper times.

I try to build all my roots before flip so I don't have to do the wet/dry thing. The leaves will tell you if the plant needs water. Right now my drippers come on for 4 minutes at 0600, 0900, 1100, 1300, and 1600. The lights come on at 0600 for 12 hours.

That being said, when the top of my pots show dry, quite often the bottoms are good or even wet still.

Other than the surface, I try to not let anything actually dry out.

I have noticed that just before the drippers come on the meter shows the very low side of green and sometimes even into the dry zone a smidge , at about half way down they go optimally green again.

Every couple weeks I turn autowatering off and let them dry a bit deeper, just to see if the soil is going crusty.

Thats for 10gal cloth pots.

20231120_064916.jpg

I use these to spray. The nozzle is adjustable from dribble to mist to spray to a straight out jetstream. 1.5 litres I think is the capacity.

If you need to top mist to spread the water evenly it sounds like you've created a hydrophobic medium that's been dried out to much between waterings?

Cheers!
Top misting is to keep your mulch damp, it pulls roots up into the mulch. When you add top dressing it's obviously above the root zone so you need to coax them up.

It also serves purpose when you start a seed in a 10 gallon pot. You don't want the whole pot drenched so you water around the seedling to get the tap going down, and mist the rest of the pot surface to slowly dampen but not saturate it.

Cheers!
Thanks @Wastei - nah, not possible. My soil top is nice and loose despite multiple EWC top dresses and the Geo. It gets a bit crusty for like a day, that’s it. Just a simple hand thing across the top loosens it up. I’m concerned about the opposite.

Top misting is to keep your mulch damp, it pulls roots up into the mulch. When you add top dressing it's obviously above the root zone so you need to coax them up.

It also serves purpose when you start a seed in a 10 gallon pot. You don't want the whole pot drenched so you water around the seedling to get the tap going down, and mist the rest of the pot surface to slowly dampen but not saturate it.
Thanks for both responses. I’m good all around it sounds like. My plant looks great and she’s praying perfectly. I’m gonna wait until tomorrow.

Thanks @Wastei - nah, not possible. My soil top is nice and loose despite multiple EWC top dresses and the Geo. It gets a bit crusty for like a day, that’s it. Just a simple hand thing across the top loosens it up. I’m concerned about the opposite.
I don’t need to mist, just wondering about it. I don’t use mulch and my roots are filled in this pot, to right below visible up top. I have no need to draw them up.

lol the age old question🤣. There really is no right answer here. Some strains like the soil quite dry, others a bit soggy, and the rest somewhere in between. I got tired of trying to figure it out and just started keeping everything evenly moist all the time, and I'm in cloth pots, so it's harder to overwater.

I do use the cheapo sticks just to see what's going on, and to check on my dripper timing, but to be honest, I really don't pay a lot of attention to the pots anymore other than a spot check every so often.

What I do pay attention to is RH. When my RH climbs, I probably need to turn the drippers down, and more often, when it drops too low, I need to up the dripper times.

I try to build all my roots before flip so I don't have to do the wet/dry thing. The leaves will tell you if the plant needs water. Right now my drippers come on for 4 minutes at 0600, 0900, 1100, 1300, and 1600. The lights come on at 0600 for 12 hours.

That being said, when the top of my pots show dry, quite often the bottoms are good or even wet still.

Other than the surface, I try to not let anything actually dry out.

I have noticed that just before the drippers come on the meter shows the very low side of green and sometimes even into the dry zone a smidge , at about half way down they go optimally green again.

Every couple weeks I turn autowatering off and let them dry a bit deeper, just to see if the soil is going crusty.

Thats for 10gal cloth pots.

20231120_064916.jpg

I use these to spray. The nozzle is adjustable from dribble to mist to spray to a straight out jetstream. 1.5 litres I think is the capacity.
Cool little stones pile you got there!

Bud Development and Light Level

Here’s a pretty good example of how light levels affect bud development.

This is a cola from the very top. As good as it gets on this plant. Maximum bud development. These colas are at approximately 1150 ppfd.

This is a second level cola. This level is at about 700-800 ppfd.

And this is a cola from the lowest level. These are at more like 500 ppfd.

Can you see the difference? When I look at lights to buy, one of the main things I check on the ppfd charts is the dropoff on the edges at various heights. If those drop offs are generally going to put the edges in the 300s, that’s not my light. This is why. You won’t train every plant you grow to a flat canopy. It is inevitable that you will have a plant much like this. (Any untrained plant will present approximately in this vein, with different levels of buds depending on your removal). This is also why many of us *generally* take a canopy approach. Untrained plants work better for light outdoors. Flatter canopy plants work better in a tent. But it gets way boring to me to train the same way all the time. I get bored making canopies. Plus, I’m not convinced a canopy always beats a different type of training for yield every time. Look at the yields @CaptainLucky gets from non canopied tent plants, and many others. Sometimes fewer and larger colas rule the day.

That’s my rambling all over the map post for today.
It requires a long veg time to achieve that but if you’re only growing a couple of plants it’s worth the extra time. Imho CL🍀 :thanks:

Hey @Vegan4life - I’ll take both your posts here - yes, mine is an auto. As far as your scrog goes, dude, I’m in no position to advise you. You know more about growing than me by ten miles. All I can offer you is that just based on my plant and your plants/scrog, and since you have photos, I’m not so sure any comparisons are really apropos in this case. Your leaves look different, and again, photo vs auto. But her stretch went on for a while. I didn’t count the days (probably should have), but it was two weeks easy. I had to keep tucking and spreading while she was scrogged. She went to the big tent and was freed about right when the stretch ended, and she was instantly way happier. My super thick stems didn’t lend too well to the scrog, I felt I was fighting the plant the whole time. I haven’t really seen your stems too much, what are they like? If you haven’t had a problem tucking they’re likely more manageable? If your scrog were my grow, I would probably stop tucking nowish and let the colas get a little bit of stem above the canopy with the remainder of your stretch. But that’s just me.
Thanks for the reply. After I posted my post above, I realized that you were growing Auto's. My main stems are very stiff so I have done some supercropping, by pinching the stems and bending them over. Most of my other tops are very flexible. I'll be watching closely over the next two weeks and continue to tuck...

Thanks for the reply. After I posted my post above, I realized that you were growing Auto's. My main stems are very stiff so I have done some supercropping, by pinching the stems and bending them over. Most of my other tops are very flexible. I'll be watching closely over the next two weeks and continue to tuck...

Thanks - all that said, I have found that once in a while, autos and photos of the same strain do indeed mimic one another pretty closely. But it’s rare. Me and @KeithLemon had two Apple Fritters which compared fairly closely. (‘cept for size)!

I find it something of a fun game. The challenge is to tuck so they’re fine but also so they don’t cause a moisture spot or anything. There are multiple ways to skin that cat.

Strawberry Gorilla

This is pretty amazing. A couple ultra closeups to show you the frost/trichome development. Of course I am wondering if my mini drought is having any effect - today is day four of zero water - and I have no idea. But I do not believe she was this frosty four days ago. This is silly. And I love the second picture, you guys may see it again some month.

IMG_3342.jpeg

IMG_3343.jpeg

Strawberry Gorilla

This is pretty amazing. A couple ultra closeups to show you the frost/trichome development. Of course I am wondering if my mini drought is having any effect - today is day four of zero water - and I have no idea. But I do not believe she was this frosty four days ago. This is silly. And I love the second picture, you guys may see it again some month
what i noticed with my drought in soil though was elongation of the trichs didn't notice any change in the heads of the trichs

Can you see the difference?
I'm all for repping our great sponsored light companies, but you're failing to account for the fact that the plant will always send more auxins (growth hormones) to the top-most flowers and make them bigger. Even outside plants will have smaller buds as they go down the stem, which is why I try to strip of a lot of the lower flowers after stretch.

Back
Top Bottom