Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

According to @Gee64, we are compromised by the very nature of how we grow. Even a maniac purist like him will use it when required.
Calcium is the main player in the cation exchange. 75-80% of your colloids should be carrying calcium ions. The remaining 20-ish% is made up mainly of your magnesium and potassium. Sodium and aluminum to a far smaller percentage.

So if calcium is out of range your ratio's are out of whack. Everywhere. You get lockout and that causes deficiencies.

There is nothing wrong with using CalMag. If you need it, you need it. I like to have everything in the pot and in the top dressings/EWC because if I get through without needing CalMag then my soil and top dressings are balanced. If I need Calmag, I screwed up my mix.

If one of you folks needs it, it doesn't mean you screwed up your mix, it just means your mix is designed to work with CalMag is all.

There's a perfectly good reason Calmag is the most popular bottle, because it works.

Once calcium is correct, magnesium stops locking out nitrogen, so fixing a calcium deficiency automatically correct both magnesium and nitrogen lock-out.

Also, if calcium isn't correct on your colloids, neither is hydrogen, which is a filler of empty spaces on the colloids.

Hydrogen can flip from positive to negative and vica-versa, so when the colloids are almost full and hydrogen adjusts its charges to balance out the charge in the colloids, the amount of hydrogen on the colloid is directly linked to PH, so wrong calcium can upset the other cations, causing too much or too little hydrogen on the colloids.

End result... Unbalanced calcium causes an incorrect charge, and cations become static-electrically stuck to each other and to the colloid, and PH is effected by unnatural amounts of hydrogen on the colloids. Colloids ARE your CEC vehicles.

So low calcium = low calcium + locked magnesium + locked nitrogen.

The locking of magnesium to nitrogen also crusts the soil and chokes air out, thus reducing nitrogen and oxygen. A plant won't recognize food as food unless it has an oxygen molecule attached, so low oxygen causes full starvation.

Think overwatering really badly. Too much water means too little air. Low calcium will mimic over watering to a large degree.

If you have a nitrogen deficiency and you add a nitrogen source and it doesn't work, its because your low on calcium and mag has nitro locked.

So if your experiencing a nitro deficiency, always try calmag 1st. Otherwise if you try a nitro additive and lock up even more nitrogen, then fix calcium, mag gets put in check, releasing all the nitro plus the extra you just added, all at once.

You get The Claw real quick, and burnt tips. In late flower this nitro rush can make for less tight buds.

Calcium neutralizes magnesium on contact. So if you have a nitro deficiency and use Calmag, you should see better color within 48 hours if low calcium was your problem. If you get no results, then you were actually low on nitro.

It's hard to get a nitro deficiency in organics as the air is 78% nitrogen, and the microbes convert it to a plant useable nitrogen, so if you are nitro deficient, it's likely a calcium thing. Or over-watering.

Check those 2 things before you start dumping nitro in.

Low calcium can also cause magnesium deficiencies by locking it to nitrogen and the colloids, plus magnesium needs to be properly ratioed to calcium, so if you have a mag deficiency, you should check calcium 1st.

A cheepo analog refractometer, as in non-digital, is all you need, to check calcium in a plant.

Neighbors don’t seem to object to the 1/2 gallon girls rainy day spot. Lol. Also grass cutting day spot. Love this shelf/ledge. It is the back wall for an outdoor grill setup. Makes a perfect spot for small plants outside on rainy days.

IMG_3267.jpeg

IMG_3269.jpeg
Personal note: I almost wish we weren’t selling this place after the move. It would be nice to leave a tent or two setup down here and come down for the winters and a grow while it snows in PA.

Calcium is the main player in the cation exchange. 75-80% of your colloids should be carrying calcium ions. The remaining 20-ish% is made up mainly of your magnesium and potassium. Sodium and aluminum to a far smaller percentage.

So if calcium is out of range your ratio's are out of whack. Everywhere. You get lockout and that causes deficiencies.

There is nothing wrong with using CalMag. If you need it, you need it. I like to have everything in the pot and in the top dressings/EWC because if I get through without needing CalMag then my soil and top dressings are balanced. If I need Calmag, I screwed up my mix.

If one of you folks needs it, it doesn't mean you screwed up your mix, it just means your mix is designed to work with CalMag is all.

There's a perfectly good reason Calmag is the most popular bottle, because it works.

Once calcium is correct, magnesium stops locking out nitrogen, so fixing a calcium deficiency automatically correct both magnesium and nitrogen lock-out.

Also, if calcium isn't correct on your colloids, neither is hydrogen, which is a filler of empty spaces on the colloids.

Hydrogen can flip from positive to negative and vica-versa, so when the colloids are almost full and hydrogen adjusts its charges to balance out the charge in the colloids, the amount of hydrogen on the colloid is directly linked to PH, so wrong calcium can upset the other cations, causing too much or too little hydrogen on the colloids.

End result... Unbalanced calcium causes an incorrect charge, and cations become static-electrically stuck to each other and to the colloid, and PH is effected by unnatural amounts of hydrogen on the colloids. Colloids ARE your CEC vehicles.

The locking of magnesium to nitrogen also crusts the soil and chokes air out, thus reducing nitrogen and oxygen. A plant won't recognize food as food unless it has an oxygen molecule attached, so low oxygen causes full starvation.

Think overwatering really badly. Too much water means too little air. Low calcium will mimic over watering to a large degree.

If you have a nitrogen deficiency and you add a nitrogen source and it doesn't work, its because your low on calcium and mag has nitro locked.

So if your experiencing a nitro deficiency, always try calmag 1st. Otherwise if you try a nitro additive and lock up even more nitrogen, then fix calcium, mag gets put in check, releasing all the nitro plus the extra you just added, all at once.

You get The Claw real quick, and burnt tips. If late flower this nitro rush can make for less tight buds.

Calcium neutralizes magnesium on contact. So if you have a nitro deficiency and use Calmag, you should see better color within 48 hours if low calcium was your problem. If you get no results, then you were actually low on nitro.

It's hard to get a nitro deficiency in organics as the air is 78% nitrogen, and the microbes convert it to a plant useable nitrogen, so if you are nitro deficient, it's likely a calcium thing. Or over-watering.

Low calcium can also cause magnesium deficiencies by locking it to nitrogen and the colloids, plus magnesium needs to be properly ratioed to calcium, so if you have a mag deficiency, you should check calcium 1st.

A cheepo analog refractometer, as in non-digital, is all you need, to check calcium in a plant.
Thanks @Gee64! What a detailed response. Some folks may even understand it all. Lol! I get about 60% of this. Need to get up to speed on cations and such for the rest. But one thing this explains - my Strawberry Gorilla buds are super duper tight and dense. Yet that plant displays everything you just discussed. But how do I have dense buds? Well apparently because that all took place early, before flower, and was corrected. Late, but arrested, or she’s have never made it. So I can attest to what you say. Right now. Lol. Gracias senor.

You get The Claw real quick, and burnt tips. In late flower this nitro rush can make for less tight buds.

Would you happen to have a theory on why LED requires more calmag vs outdoors? Or is my perception of that completely erroneous?

Thanks @Gee64! What a detailed response. Some folks may even understand it all. Lol! I get about 60% of this. Need to get up to speed on cations and such for the rest. But one thing this explains - my Strawberry Gorilla buds are super duper tight and dense. Yet that plant displays everything you just discussed. But how do I have dense buds? Well apparently because that all took place early, before flower, and was corrected. Late, but arrested, or she’s have never made it. So I can attest to what you say. Right now. Lol. Gracias senor.
All you really need to understand is that soil runs on electricity at a micro voltage level. Calcium sets the correct charge to make it all work.

If it gets low, magnesium's job is to lock the soil and kill the plant to leave the nutrients in the soil until calcium gets corrected. The plant gets weak and bugs move in.

Magnesium does that by choking oxygen off.

Natures way.....

Strawberry Gorilla

Tester bud cuz I’m stupid like that. But what’s significant about it is this: you are looking at the very lowest, smallest bud on the entire plant. I have only produced a couple plants that were 100% flarf free. I can add this one to the list. Yay! And look what a simple trim she’ll be!

IMG_3270.jpeg

IMG_3271.jpeg

Hey @Gee64, here’s an LOL for you: remember we said our timers were set to GPS or whatever so they changed by an hour with DST? Well guess what? I was wrong. Duh moment. I’ve been wondering why I’m getting up now at 4:45 am with the plants (for 5 am wake-up), when I used to get up at 5:45. Duh. It’s cuz my timer is NOT like yours. Mines a plain old digital timer. Lol. Dumb DST.

Hey @Gee64, here’s an LOL for you: remember we said our timers were set to GPS or whatever so they changed by an hour with DST? Well guess what? I was wrong. Duh moment. I’ve been wondering why I’m getting up now at 4:45 am with the plants (for 5 am wake-up), when I used to get up at 5:45. Duh. It’s cuz my timer is NOT like yours. Mines a plain old digital timer. Lol. Dumb DST.
lol You think it screws us old guys up? My dog goes nuts for an hour every day now waiting for her meals. 🤣

Gee is too nice so I’ll do it lol

What he didn’t say is that plants grown with calmag can be tasted. It is very clear in both the taste, and the harshness of the smoke when a plant has been grown with calmag. It’s very similar to the taste and harshness of a plant rescued with BSM, ask me how I know 🤣

You can sidestep your need for calmag naturally. Aerating dolomite lime in your feed water for instance. Top dressing EWC and fish bone meal weekly or biweekly. There’s a variety of ways to avoid the bottle. The best way is to build your mix properly the first time. Preparation is always better than reaction.

Learn to add in calcium as you go to avoid the need for calmag while you’re dialing in mixes. This way you can avoid the harshness and impact that calmag has on your final product.

Calmag is and should be viewed as a rescue tool in organics. Needing to use it means something is unbalanced in your mix. It sits on the same shelf as blackstrap molasses in my room.

Funnily enough, I’d also recommend CalMag even after my shit talking 🤣 This plant is beyond being helped and is in full blown intervention rescue me mode
Dunno - its my solution for most stuff. Just to help our Bulgarian brother out!

But yeah I’d start there and work up.

Its 3:30am and Im a little tired so maybe I missed something!

Soz, if I did!

Dunno - its my solution for most stuff. Just to help our Bulgarian brother out!

But yeah I’d start there and work up.

Its 3:30am and Im a little tired so maybe I missed something!

So, if I did!

It all depends on where he’s at in the grow. If he’s full on blooming then just some calmag and hope. If he’s still vegging then there’s a few things he needs to do. Regardless of which phase he’s in, Calmag is where he should start since that’s the easiest and quickest

Back
Top Bottom