Ganesha's Evolution

Yeah now when the light came on she was pretty droopy and dry, I watered, now the leaf stems are up but the leaves are very droopy with the water shock.
I'm feeling I'm missing the right time by about half a day or night.

And the nugs are bugging me again.. she's not going to go major big bud. Either the batch I got is displaying other phenos or she's very sensitive to that pellet feed & N... the budding sites are supposed to be coin wide.. In all previous grows of channel + except for the last two I got coin wide buds sites.. but now they are more like little pricks agains. Now that last batch was very good, strong & tasty even if they were being hard little nuggings.

Light on
IMG_3249.JPG

hour after watering
IMG_3251.JPG

And here you can see the tippy tops are already starting to point straight up again.. and soon much of the rest of the plant will follow.
IMG_3252.JPG

I don't think it's light avoidance I raised the light, they're getting lower ppfd than I'd like although I got the next three weeks to go full on. And it's not that hot in the tent? it's 27°c between the canopy the air is very dry though despite it kinda raining now.

Very basic, other than canna I grow my herbs for in the kitchen.. Cilantro, basil, sage, rosemary, thyme that kinda stuff I do clear a big garden each year but that's the opposite of growing.
Okay good to know.

So it can often be difficult to determine the difference between an overwatered plant and an underwatered plant if you are not used to reading plants. I am a devout gardener lol.

In hot humid weather, the plant will need less watering due to the moisture in the air.
In hot dry weather, the plant will need more water due to a lack of that moisture.

I don’t overthink roots. The plants foliage is what I focus on. If my foliage is healthy, I know my roots are good. Your foliage is like your human outside. If you’re feeling super healthy, you eat well, you poop well, and you are kicking life goals, you don’t need to worry about your insides. However, if you are feeling unwell, you look unwell, you have symptoms of an unwell person, then you examine your insides ie blood tests and other investigations.

I think roots are the same. I don’t understand why growers become so root obsessed when their foliage is the thing that tells the story. Well I think it is.

Your plant is designed to survive against adversity. I have seen many a grower ruin a good plant by overdoing nutes/water/lights when all they really needed was to give the plant a couple of days to right itself.

Okay good to know.

So it can often be difficult to determine the difference between an overwatered plant and an underwatered plant if you are not used to reading plants. I am a devout gardener lol.

In hot humid weather, the plant will need less watering due to the moisture in the air.
In hot dry weather, the plant will need more water due to a lack of that moisture.

I don’t overthink roots. The plants foliage is what I focus on. If my foliage is healthy, I know my roots are good. Your foliage is like your human outside. If you’re feeling super healthy, you eat well, you poop well, and you are kicking life goals, you don’t need to worry about your insides. However, if you are feeling unwell, you look unwell, you have symptoms of an unwell person, then you examine your insides ie blood tests and other investigations.

I think roots are the same. I don’t understand why growers become so root obsessed when their foliage is the thing that tells the story. Well I think it is.

Your plant is designed to survive against adversity. I have seen many a grower ruin a good plant by overdoing nutes/water/lights when all they really needed was to give the plant a couple of days to right itself.
Agreed, that’s why I lay off of nutes and everything but water for a couple weeks and start by just adding EWC after that to be safe. Soil takes a little while to see impact of adjustments. Take it easy and monitor new growth closely is my mantra.

I completely disagree with Azi. I can see nothing that suggests a weak root system.
I'm not saying his plant has a weak root system. I was saying that his description of the plant getting wilty with dry soil a short distance down, all the while the pot still feels heavy, is a common sign of overwatering and can lead to root rot if not corrected.

Yeah now when the light came on she was pretty droopy and dry, I watered, now the leaf stems are up but the leaves are very droopy with the water shock.
They do droop a bit when the lights are out and they are resting so probably best not to judge that issue until they wake up.

If the leaves remain droopy a while after you water they are likely overwet. The big bloated leaves pointing down to the source of their issue (the roots) that need more oxygen to breathe, and with too much water too often the air pores in the soil fill up with water, slowly suffocating the plant. After a few days some of the water is used up allowing for more air to the roots.

Then the top of the pot dries and, if the lower roots aren't working properly because too wet too often, then the plant is getting everything from those upper roots which are now dry and making the plant droopy.

That's why I said I'd probably try to just mist the top soil layer but not enough to add to the lower water bank and see if you could dry out the bottom third of the soil.

I'm not saying his plant has a weak root system. I was saying that his description of the plant getting wilty with dry soil a short distance down, all the while the pot still feels heavy, is a common sign of overwatering and can lead to root rot if not corrected.

They do droop a bit when the lights are out and they are resting so probably best not to judge that issue until they wake up.

If the leaves remain droopy a while after you water they are likely overwet. The big bloated leaves pointing down to the source of their issue (the roots) that need more oxygen to breathe, and with too much water too often the air pores in the soil fill up with water, slowly suffocating the plant. After a few days some of the water is used up allowing for more air to the roots.

Then the top of the pot dries and, if the lower roots aren't working properly because too wet too often, then the plant is getting everything from those upper roots which are now dry and making the plant droopy.

That's why I said I'd probably try to just mist the top soil layer but not enough to add to the lower water bank and see if you could dry out the bottom third of the soil.
For me, if I were to see a problem with lack of O2 to roots the first thing I’d do is add a handful of worms so as not to do any more harm. But I use worms in everything with organic soil…
And I don’t think I’ve mentioned it elsewhere yet, but worms are also a great indicator of moisture, if they’re hovering towards top few inches, especially on a hot day, that’s a good indication it’s too wet below.

You think she's over wet??

Leaves are already straighten all out from the curl which to me is cold shock from the 5 liter of water that went down the gullet and tomorrow she's probably going to be a good nun and praise the sky.

I've rooted around in the soil, and looks like I've got about an inch of soil left on the sides.. I can't dig down anywhere else as it's all dense rootmass no soil left.. I'll try to do go down to see if she's wet at the bottom.. but I don't think so.
I think that she probably needs more and that rootmass already absorbed most of it. I think there's not enough pressure to get those big boys up. But I'll go rooting some more.
IMG_3249.JPG

Hmmm I can back off the heat and light a bit, and try to come in with a just water to give her a bit of a breather from light and plant food.

If she's too wet I'd expect brown tips and yellow blotches..

If you have a wooden BBQ skewer you can get a good sense of moisture at depth. Put it in, leave it for a half hour and then pull it out. The color will darken if there's still moisture down there. If not, it's dry and you're good to go. Then maybe you're root bound or some other issue.

But let's check moisture first.

I wouldn’t go rooting around myself, looks plenty happy to me so far. For me, when in doubt limit to worms and EWC.

I wouldn’t go rooting around myself, looks plenty happy to me so far. For me, when in doubt limit to worms and EWC.
I mean okay? We just had rain and thunderstorm, I could get the flashlight and go root for some worms.. know there's some big fuckers in the garden. But yeah there's not much living in this soil except for microbes and a plant! I just also put a fresh butterfly so no flying bits come in there.

By which I mean to say I've got none of that on hand.. although I probably could get some worms.. how many does a pot need. If I go tomorrow morning and lift up some stuff in the garden.

How about a moisture meter probe?
I did power off the exhaust so RH can rise a bit. I'm at 50 now.

IMG_3258.JPG

I did pierce this one straight through the heart of the pot and left it there. And it's already down again.. when I just watered it got up to 4 or just starting green moist.. and we're just a couple hours later.
I need to water faster and more if anything?
Could it be the hydroton? as there is a fair amount of that in there as I only had little perlite which I used for the layering so I chucked some of that through the soil for structure. That it keeps heavy but isn't counting straight to the absorption for the plant only in a delayed reaction?

IMG_3259.JPG

I mean okay? We just had rain and thunderstorm, I could get the flashlight and go root for some worms.. know there's some big fuckers in the garden. But yeah there's not much living in this soil except for microbes and a plant! I just also put a fresh butterfly so no flying bits come in there.
I will only say this, never hurt me to add some worms, and since the dawn of me adding worms to my pots it was by far the biggest improvement for me I’ve ever seen.

I will only say this, never hurt me to add some worms, and since the dawn of me adding worms to my pots it was by far the biggest improvement for me I’ve ever seen.
Yeah I just added to the post "By which I mean to say I've got none of that on hand.. although I probably could get some worms.. how many does a pot need. If I go tomorrow morning and lift up some stuff in the garden."

Yeah I just added to the post "By which I mean to say I've got none of that on hand.. although I probably could get some worms.. how many does a pot need. If I go tomorrow morning and lift up some stuff in the garden."
In general I start with a handful and don’t separate because they like to be in groups. Never counted but I’d guess between 20-40 somewhere per handful. If you’re lucky enough to have them around just drop a piece of cardboard or tarp on a thoroughly soaked ground area and collect early in morning after they’ve surfaced.

Back
Top Bottom