Laquer Head's Indoor Organic Obsession: 2018

Backyard Composting 101!

Went out to a little local orchard today and scraped up just about all the leaves we could! Didnt seem like a whole lot until we started filling our garbage bags..

These leaves will go into my "premium" compost bin (for the herb, not the outdoor garden - though I built them fairly similar)! Along with the small batch of comfrey from this year (didnt have time to produce an abundance). Was doing some research and they say about 80% of a trees nutrients and minerals are stored in its leaves...so this compost when finished should be kick ass! Mainly for the fact we've hunted down particular trees the last 2 weekends and am trying to use only leaves from said trees (ash and fruit trees)! Supposed to be the best decomposers, as well as having an extreme amount of calcium!

I intended on making black leaf mold, but have since went another direction....i'd rather have compost. For topdressings, soil mix, and more importantly worm food/bedding! Surely it'll be better than Bu's blend?!

If I remember to take the time I'll put together a little pictorial on how I layer the compost!

I have no experience doing any of this, just lotsss and lots of research time involved. If anybody has any suggestions I'd be more than happy to hear you out!

1027181336.jpg

1027181337~2.jpg

Notice the many small leaf piles!

It's cool you have a good supply of material to compost.
For sure! It took a little sourcing but with our little "farm" house we can produce most of what we need here...only our first year so we're definitely just getting started! I'd like to have our own fruit trees to supply leaves!

Hopefully we can own the place when the lady passes away..if not this work will have to be done all over again :rolleyes:
That looks like a lovely way to spend an afternoon:D

I don’t have trimming problems with sugar leaves... I leaves them on ;)
:rollit:
It was :thumb: unfortunately I didnt get around to shredding the leaves for the compost bin, so all that work will be done tomorrow! Along with the trimming of the pineapple express :slide:..gonna be a busy one!

I might just leaf a few on myself LOL. Gonna try dry trimming this time around and see what we think!

Chopped the Pineapple Express this morning..its now on the clothesline drip drying before we cut the buds off into paper bags! Will get a wet weight then, if I think about it!

Lol no doubt...its only fun the first 30 min!

Depends on the terpine profile o_O

GL with the little pups LH. Organic soil looking good.

50 days in flower.... you sure you dont wanna let em go a little tiny bit longer??? They look like they could get some nice color. Those flowers look pretty mighty fine right now tho!

Get the loppers out... but don't let the ladies see em! :p

Cool on the leaf collecting. You're gonna have some really really good compost. If you still have comfrey (we have 1 more harvest and it's any day now) left - top your leaves in your bin with comfrey (its a green manure) and watch how fast the leaves compost. The comfrey will actually heat up the pile just like brown manures do. You can throw a few cups of rock dust in there. Rock dust helps the worms make short work of the rest of the pile.

Winter over and you got the gold, black gold, there's gold in dem der piles.... load up the truck cause we movin to the hills. :cool:

Edit: I was typing this and you were chopping that ^^^ Congrats on the harvest!

Looks mighty fine.... make a deal on paper with the old lady. Give her something she wants. Tell her your plan about having an orchard and farmette...She prolly dig it!

50 days in flower.... you sure you dont wanna let em go a little tiny bit longer??? They look like they could get some nice color. Those flowers look pretty mighty fine right now tho!

Cool on the leaf collecting. You're gonna have some really really good compost. If you still have comfrey (we have 1 more harvest and it's any day now) left - top your leaves in your bin with comfrey (its a green manure) and watch how fast the leaves compost. The comfrey will actually heat up the pile just like brown manures do. You can throw a few cups of rock dust in there. Rock dust helps the worms make short work of the rest of the pile.

Winter over and you got the gold, black gold, there's gold in dem der piles.... load up the truck cause we movin to the hills. :cool:

Looks mighty fine.... make a deal on paper with the old lady. Give her something she wants. Tell her your plan about having an orchard and farmette...She prolly dig it!
Haha, the farm is what she wants...I found a goodn'! Lol..

Exactly my plan with the remaining comfrey! Its gonna be awesome :thumb:..didnt think of rock dust but will be sure to add it, I have loads of it (the good stuff too)! Planned on throwing in gro-kashi and neem as well!

And on the short flower time, breeder says 53-62...im on 53 but with the help of this MBP I figured she was at least a week ahead. Ambers started showing by day 45!! At about 10-15% now if I had to guess, maybe more in places..

24k gold still has another week or two though! Though its throwing out quite a bit of amber also...always so hard to tell!

Congrats on the harvest. Real fine worI feel ya brother. I get like no spectators lol. But I still use my journal here for date references. If you aint gonna journal pleez pit pics on mine for me I enjoy them.
I suppose the date references are pretty handy! I kinda stopped using my white board..and I will!

Thinking I'm going to give up the journaling....theres literally 2 or 3 that actually follows along so I feel the time I put in isn't really worth it. I'll just hang out in your guys' journals!!!!!
That’s a shame LH! But I suppose I can understand. I still think it’s the best way to have grow support tho’. You know, when things grow awry and you want/need advice. Things seem to be going prettt well for you though. Getting your soil and other things well dialed. I’ll keep visiting as long as you have a journal! But if you do decide to break from it, my journals will always be happy to have your garden drop in for a visit!;)
:Namaste:

Oh and congrats on the harvest! Looks great all lined up on the line! Did you leave leaves? :D

That’s a shame LH! But I suppose I can understand. I still think it’s the best way to have grow support tho’. You know, when things grow awry and you want/need advice. Things seem to be going prettt well for you though. Getting your soil and other things well dialed. I’ll keep visiting as long as you have a journal! But if you do decide to break from it, my journals will always be happy to have your garden drop in for a visit!;)
:Namaste:

Oh and congrats on the harvest! Looks great all lined up on the line! Did you leave leaves? :D
It is a shame lol..I do like the support, but usually only find it when I post in high traffic threads!

Thanks, thinking the one pic might be a contender next month! Messed up the wet weight when I was 75% through it so said F it..just weigh it when it dries

I left them on 2 branches worth of buds, I think LOL..be a nice experiment to see which we prefer!

A good compost pile can put out some serious heat. There is a grower in Milwaukee, that grows in a green house year around and he heats his greenhouses with composting piles. No electrical heat at all.....just the power of compost heat. Google him..I think his name is Will Allen. Pretty interesting stuff.

We all journal for different reasons brother. I enjoy visiting yours and hope you continue to post your updates. I have seen a lot of improvement in your growing over the last year as well as your role as one of the LOS people on here.

Do you mind me asking what you are hoping from from the journal? Are you looking to attract more traffic? Just curious.

Congrats on that harvest.....some gorgeous colas there!

It has occurred to me that the most active threads pop up on my watched threads like clock work but those that post once a day or every few days don't pop up right away. It may take people a little longer to see these posts. I'm always noticing posts down my list of watched threads that I didn't see a few minutes earlier. Maybe bumping your thread more often will keep you more visible.

I'll look him up!

Im glad you all enjoy it! I would like to have more traffic to feel as though I may be helping some peeps get a good start, or attracting them to LOS, and turn as many people away from nasty nutes as possible! A more sustainable approach! But everyone that follows is already on board with that lol..for the most part anyway! And to have a bit more knowledge from other sources getting spread around, I love learning!!!

I also understand alot of people that come to this website already have a niche, or method/mindset that works for them..and thats cool!

Ive also asked many questions that werent really ever answered (sounds selfish, maybe it is)..at a time where I had to act somewhat quickly - so I posted on other threads with great results! So maybe I dont need one? As Dusty said though, it is a good calendar of events!!

I'm also not the best host in the world lol, so maybe I dont need the traffic.

I have learned a ton from everyone here so dont get me wrong! I appreciate that :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom