Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Got the USB scope and have played with it a little.

The software's clunky and they hid the zoom function under a tab called "face tracking" for some dumb reason, but once I figured things out, it seems to work well and is much easier to focus than my Eyeclops scope.

Also, Mrs. Sun's sisters are here and I'm trying to be sociable ;). Actually, as hard as it is for this curmudgeon to admit, it's been rather a pleasure to have them ;).
Got my VMS-004 with a midget disc. Stuck it in my Mac and had to dig it out with a knife. I need 'clunky software'.

You young men can have fun in a house with three women in it! And they're sisters?
When do we get what's left back? ;)

Hey SS:

The HSS looks too spindly for my preference...I grew some super lemon haze like that last year and had to throw 'em out. I found out my light technique was all wrong using a 250 watt hps. they just stretched and barely flowered. Newbie learning curve.

But, no offense, both sets have fairly dainty buds at this point. I hope they bulk up soon. CFL's seem to do better from what I've observed elsewhere. Then again, I'm very impatient.

Thanks again for the primo job, dude!

but might they continue to grow for a longer period under LED's, so that although it is a slower growth rate so far, as compared to HID, perhaps at whatever point the trichomes reach the same point ( 50/50 or whatever), that the HID's do, that the final product may be comparable, or different in some respects but still considered an option? I hope so...HID's are a pain in the ass (don't get me wrong I LOVE 'em...but c'mon they're a pain in the ass).

From all the LED grows I have followed I have noticed that LEDs tend to take a little longer to finish.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I'll be alert for the color change and stalled growth.

My WW stalled before she swelled. It was like 10 days of suspended animation, then she moved to the next stage.:bongrip:

How have i not seen this grow until now?! Must of been blind or something. In any case, its amazing. Truly amazing. Thankyou for doing this! The plants look great, the girls are liking the LEDs. This grow is inspirational, why can't i find a room to grow in so i don't just sit here watching these amazing grows... damn you wasted enthusiasm!

took me a good hour and a couple of tokes before i got here, page 88. Well, im on board now, and i can't wait to see how this goes!! props and rep man!:goodjob::welldone::yahoo::ganjamon:

The human eye is easily fooled by light. I believe that the area that appears to be underlit is merely not in the sweetspot but still gets enough light to support good growth. Of course at some distance from the sweet spot the drop is sufficient to impede growth. A meter designed to read numerous specific wavelengths would be necessary to determine where the critical drop off occurs. the human eye won't get you there.

I agree, my 70% eyeball estimation of coverage is rought, subjective and simplistic, but it's all I got as far as describing the sweet spot.

It's not like the remaining 30% is totally in the dark, so what you're saying makes sense.

I believe that new theroies will be discovered, pertaining to the way plants grow and mature, while doing these kind of tests !! What were they trying to grow on the space station with the original leds ?? I bet it was'nt lettuce ?? Ha !! Can ya imagine being on the space station and doing a big bowl and just tripping on space !! Better yet, can you imagine the blast off !!?? We've already learned that plants take up water at a slower rate with leds, and other discoveries will come, what, well, we don't know yet !! It's easy to see that a plant vegged under led, looks different, now why is that ?? We just don't know yet !! Even if we find that we can't grow with leds, they are the future of lighting !! Can you imagine a baseball stadium lit up with leds ?? Well another month and we'll know for sure if these lights make the grade. like you originally saaid, if either light don't produce what your 250 did, then it's not exceptable !! Ha !! Grow on SS !!

I have a friend who lives in a remote part of Alaska and is completely off the grid. Well, there is no grid.

He uses solar panels and LED's to light his house, so yeah, I can imagine a baseball stadium lit up with LED's.

I share your excitement over what the future holds ;).

Hey SS:

The HSS looks too spindly for my preference...I grew some super lemon haze like that last year and had to throw 'em out. I found out my light technique was all wrong using a 250 watt hps. they just stretched and barely flowered. Newbie learning curve.

But, no offense, both sets have fairly dainty buds at this point. I hope they bulk up soon. CFL's seem to do better from what I've observed elsewhere. Then again, I'm very impatient.

Thanks again for the primo job, dude!

If I grow the SLH or similar strains, I'd be using at least a 400w HID, along with LST and/or abbreviated veg time to control height, so hopefully it would work OK.

No offense taken whatsoever bro.

I'm just grateful that this grow has gone well enough to allow us to judge the performance of the lights as opposed to mine ;).

BTW, I didn't have a long enough stake to brace up HSS 2, and briefly considered requesting your mother-in-law for the job, but it must have been your lucky day because I came up with the idea to tape two stakes together ;).

thanks brother!

SS, I must admit that the hgl is starting to widen the gap, and looks like a run-a-way win. Is it still covering the 4 plants, or do you move the plants so each get their fair share of light ?? And i'd love to see a pic. of the two culled plants , today ??

As far as the two culls go, we're still thinking about what to do with them as far as reporting on them.

I can tell you that useful comparisons between them and the plants in this grow will be limited due to different grow styles, environment, lighting, etc., so from that perspective, there won't be much to gain from showing how they're doing.

Personally speaking, I would love to share that side grow with everyone, so once we figure out how we want to do that, you'll see how they've done, but it's probably not going to happen until this grow is in the bag.

thanks bro ;)

Assuming the plants we grow aren't totally screwed up in a genetic sense....IE they could grow in the wild if some seeds were thrown out there....I conclude that it's illuminated foliage that produces bud, not illuminated budsites.

But, keep in mind that's mere speculation and deductive reasoning based on how fruits and flowers grow. They're almost always in the shade.

The phenotype of my current strain that had such gigantic and dense foliage also has the largest, most dense buds.....and much of them are shaded due to the huge fanleaves.

Sativa's on the other hand, tend to have fewer leaves and more light getting through, but they also have smaller buds.

So, my semi-educated position----which is open to correction---is that leaves produce bud. Well lighted, healthy leaves produce better bud.

Basic botany teaches that there is a "circulatory" system in plants....the Xylem and the Phloem. One moves things from the roots to the apical meristem, with all the leaves, shoots and branches in between......the other moves in the opposite direction.

Some nutrients are mobile: Nitrogen, Potassium, magnesium, phosphorus to name a few of the big ones. These can be moved to where they're needed by the plant.

Others can only move from the roots up...they can't translocate. Among those are zinc, boron, sulfur and others.

Leaves make carbohydrates from all those elements, Co2 water. Roots also make stuff and supply raw materials to the leaves. Buds can only happen if the plant has a healthy carbohydrate factory (leaves) and good roots.

So, the fan leaves that are just below each bud certainly do produce nutrition for that bud, but they can also produce for the rest of the plant, because the plant has the ability to move nutrients to where they are needed most.

I don't want to make a direct comment about SS's LED grow.....but if you look at the leaves and the buds, you'll notice something. (hint hint)

In other words, if the leaves don't get enough light....the buds will be smaller.

I hope that wasn't totally useless commentary.

Useless commentary is the last thing I was thinking after reading your input on this, and my instincts are siding with you on this.

My limited experience with vegetable gardening seems to support what you're saying also as far as shading and fruit development.

thanks doc!

As far as the two culls go, we're still thinking about what to do with them as far as reporting on them.

I can tell you that useful comparisons between them and the plants in this grow will be limited due to different grow styles, environment, lighting, etc., so from that perspective, there won't be much to gain from showing how they're doing.

Personally speaking, I would love to share that side grow with everyone, so once we figure out how we want to do that, you'll see how they've done, but it's probably not going to happen until this grow is in the bag.

thanks bro ;)

Wise move Brother.:ganjamon:

No fixed date Superweed, just going to harvest each plant individually when trichomes are 50/50 cloudy/amber.

Barney's Farm says 65 days max, but that's just a number.

thanks bro ;)

Oh that's sure, never fix date, you decide depending your preferences.Anyway i had the answer i wanted:thumb:
:peace:

Grats on that Sun. I'm also a diabetic and I have broken my neck and back in a fall. I feel your pain. Thanks for all the hard work! :peace:

:thanks: Moustache and :welcome: ;)

I've been wondering that for a while now.

Me too, but raising the HGL light made me think about it a lot more. I was worried about raising it and losing intensity, but lower intensity over more area seemed to increase growth, not compromise it.

thanks Bolivar!

From all the LED grows I have followed I have noticed that LEDs tend to take a little longer to finish.

Thanks for sharing that observation slimm. Flowering thus far has been slow but steady, so perhaps things are on-schedule for a relatively low-wattage LED grow.

I appreciate your comments and participation ;)

My WW stalled before she swelled. It was like 10 days of suspended animation, then she moved to the next stage.:bongrip:

That's really strange, but then we're dealing with something quite different than what most of us are used to.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because 10 days of stalled growth would be discouraging.

thank you!

How have i not seen this grow until now?! Must of been blind or something. In any case, its amazing. Truly amazing. Thankyou for doing this! The plants look great, the girls are liking the LEDs. This grow is inspirational, why can't i find a room to grow in so i don't just sit here watching these amazing grows... damn you wasted enthusiasm!

took me a good hour and a couple of tokes before i got here, page 88. Well, im on board now, and i can't wait to see how this goes!! props and rep man!:goodjob::welldone::yahoo::ganjamon:

:welcome: flank!

thank you for reading through!!! and glad you're on-board!!!

hope you find a space where you can grow and expend some of that enthusiasm ;)

:thumb:

I mostly agree with Doc on this. That is one of the reasons I avoid trimming fan leaves if at all possible. Some provide energy stores for roots while others provide energy stores for buds. There is another factor to consider as well. When you trim a plant it responds by distributing jasmonic acid. JA inhibits growth and stimulates the plant's immune response. The plant assumes it is under herbivorous attack and cranks up its defenses. I would say a few leaves cut here or there is not an issue but if you remove a lot of foliage you may be inviting too much of this response.

That said, many parts of the flowers are green which indicates to me that they also contribute to harvesting energy from the sun. My modification to Doc's theory is that ideally both buds and fans need to be illuminated, but if you have to choose, the upper fan leaves should take priority. I would tuck them. The lower fan leaves provide more of their energy to the roots so leave them as well since root may need them. Buds rely less on these leaves.

I had the same problem on my HGL LED grow. I never conclusively determined the cause. I had thought it may have been a ph issue causing some burning.

That's what I strive to do, illuminate both the buds and fans, but of course, it's hard to do both.

I've been tempted on previous grows to remove the upper fan leaves, which are blocking the most light, but I held off because seeing those perky upper fan leaves reach for the sky in sheer metabolic splendor would just not allow me to snip them, shaded buds or not.

Tucking would seem a good compromise, and I've done that on other grows.

Someone should do a comparison on this ;).

thanks again slimm, good stuff bro!

I almost put it under the other type of light to finish it.

Got my VMS-004 with a midget disc. Stuck it in my Mac and had to dig it out with a knife. I need 'clunky software'.

You young men can have fun in a house with three women in it! And they're sisters?
When do we get what's left back? ;)

if you can't install with the midget disk, you can download the driver and software here:

/files/veho Product Drivers, Manuals & Troubleshooting/VMS-004 400x USB Microscope/ - -

young men? you talkin' to me? lol

they haven't chewed me up too bad, yet

the way to a man's heart is food, but the way to a woman's heart is cooking it ;)

When it's over will be driven by the color of the trichs.

If they take significantly longer to finish than they would with other types of lights, that will be useful info also.

I'm looking forward to the next grow, but my priority is to finish this one properly, so that we can draw our conclusions from the most complete data this grow can generate.

If your frame of reference is your 1000w HID grows, I'd suggest re-calibration, because these lights aren't going to match that, nor should they be expected to.

I can appreciate where you're coming from though, and I'm lookin' forward to looser reins ;).

Back
Top Bottom