AIO vs DIY Monotub: Purple Mystic Takes On Blue Meanie Cubes

This time around, I will be inoculating a 5 Lb All-In-One with 10cc of liquid culture grown from Purple Mystic spores from @Spore Genetics .

In a week or so later I'll be inoculating a 3 Lb gro-bag of millet with 10cc of liquid culture grown from Blue Meanie Cubes spores, also from @Spore Genetics. The colonized grain will be mixed into 5 Lb of substrate in a Sterilite 1644 tub. I'll be modifying a 2nd 1644, for a lid, by drilling 1.75" holes and covering them with self-adhesive 0.2u filter disks to provide lots of free air exchange.

So today, to get things going, I got the Purple Mystic liquid culture out of the refrigerator. After several hours letting it reach room temperature, I put the jar on the mag stirrer to mix some air into to solution. Tomorrow I'll fill a couple syringes. These cultures are 8 months old now so I will soon find out if they are still good.

PMLC_20240828_2208r.jpg

Hi there! I just left a message on your previous thread to tag us, and saw this thread right after that. LOL
I'll ride along again. Love your journaling. 💞

Your culture has an orange color to it. Is that normal or is it just that strain that does it?
It's the Liquid Culture pre-mix I used, @Lady Cannafan
YuantideLC.jpg
Got it off Amazon.

It's got Dextrose, Yeast Extract, Soy Peptone, and Malt Extract for good nutrition. A lot of people just use Karo because it comes out clear, making it easier to observe what's growing within.

I reasoned the culture would live longer in the refrigerator with better food. We're about to see if it was worth the expense.

Attachments

• Spring 2022 Psilocybin Cup MASS REPORTv2.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 11
thanls for the tag imma gonna follow along & i'm planning on trying these kits & spores from our sponcers later this winter
Welcome, @con !

Cleaned up the work area and the SAB and then sprayed it down with 70% Isopropyl and wiped it off with paper towel, geared up with nitrile gloves, n-95 mask, turned all fans off and closed the window. Moved syringes, needles, alcohol wipes and LC jar into the SAB. Toke some DoSiDos. Filled (3) 10cc syringes with chunky masses of goodness. Poked self with needle of one AFTER filling syringe- GRRR! Contaminated each other so I tossed that otherwise good syringe/needle and filled another. I hope I don't turn into swamp thing with cubes growing out my ears.

Here's some pics of todays endeavors and the resultant squirt-guns.

PMlcb4_20240829_1335r.jpg
PMlc&s20240829_145140r.jpg
PMs20240829_1531r.jpg

and welcome, @Bill284!

Cleaned up the work area and the SAB and then sprayed it down with 70% Isopropyl and wiped it off with paper towel, geared up with nitrile gloves, n-95 mask, turned all fans off and closed the window. Moved syringes, needles, alcohol wipes and LC jar into the SAB. Toke some DoSiDos. Filled (3) 10cc syringes with chunky masses of goodness. Poked self with needle of one AFTER filling syringe- GRRR! Contaminated each other so I tossed that otherwise good syringe/needle and filled another. I hope I don't turn into swamp thing with cubes growing out my ears.

Here's some pics of todays endeavors and the resultant squirt-guns.

PMlcb4_20240829_1335r.jpg
PMlc&s20240829_145140r.jpg
PMs20240829_1531r.jpg

and welcome, @Bill284!
OUCH! My very first inoculation when I began this growing, I poked myself with that damn needle. Bled all over the place. Had to clean up and start all over.
Nice prepping!

I barely felt it when it happened, Lady C. I looked and didn't see blood so I kept going. When I finally removed the glove, it looked like maybe a small drop of blood at most, but it's getting red like it's infected. Dunked the poked finger in 99% Isopropyl, then hosed the puncture with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Them needles are sharp!

The redness is fading so no worries. Hydrogen Peroxide to the rescue!

On to the next step, inoculating the media. Same as yesterday, mask, gloves, clean up the work area, spray 70% and wipe down everything. Examine AIO for damage and/or punctures, wipe it down. Spritz syringe & wipe it down. This time, I weighed the bag before inoculation. Starting weight: 5Lb or 80oz or 2268g.

I found a method to avoid poking oneself while removing the cap on the needle. Main trick is to always point it away from you.

Proceeded with inoculation, injecting 10cc of dense, thick mycelium in a circular pattern. Stuck a piece of duck tape over the SHIP after pulling the needle out, just to be sure it's sealed. Away we go! 🍄 :cheer:🍄

PM_20240830_0940r.jpg
PM20240830_0940r.jpg
PMnoc20240830_2225r.jpg

In a few days I should see some condensation around the inoculation point as the culture starts to transpire. Time for another toke of DoSiDos... maybe several. It's gonna be a minute.

Back
Top Bottom