Modest First Time Grower In Charge Of Success

Oh Bee Kay Bee. Let's start with the death of Larry B 2. I know none of you will hold it against Betty, but the fact of the matter is, she fried LB2--yet along side sat LB1 who is thriving. Our designer strain is going to be super heat neglect tolerant. LOL! Don't make me rummage around for Larry's baby picture now.
larry_b22.JPG

Above you see Larry B 2 who expired after two days of being shut in a plastic cab inside of a closet. No fan, no air movement what so ever. I'll be showing you LB1 soon as I down load more pictures, but let me make some observations while I still remember them. :)

The LB generation came into my humble hands at about 12 inches high, right? If anyone cares to fumble back into time, we can get some of this ratio shit straightened out. I will be very happy to send a hermetically sealed pack of Super Veg Dirt and twelve pennies dated BEFORE 1982 for every correct statistic. One more pic, hold on. . . .
tiny_roots.JPG
I'm not very sure how clear it is, but see those little tiny roots? They were growing in the 90 degreeish crease at the bottom of the white bucket. So, back up to root systems, root rot, root bound and etc. Betty and I certainly had enough room for our Queens tootsies to spread out. Love you 2J's, just in case you didn't realize.

These autopsy photographs demonstrate the ratio of container::ratio of plant height wasn't to far off root volume::plant volume. Roots, the support system in good dirt. And so on. Peejay, step in any time.

Now I am asking about lighting. Is ratio as important as a quantifiable amount when we are dealing with miniaturization? We want the plants to be small and bushy, so do we sweat raising the lights for max benefit? Or do we put the top lights at 24 inches for flower and just be done with it? I mean, really, what is the diff between having a light 24 or 16 inches above an 8 inch plant going into flower? Be nice. :love: I know the real answer is eight inches.

Intensity? Lumens? Watts? what?

I am still a big fat quitter as far as cigarettes go. Yay for me. I say that with total modesty of course. Got more stuff to show ya, but need to B A C K A W AY...

I got my memory cards mixed up and just found this
sexless_staked1.JPG

The memory stamp on this pic is mid august, and this particular sexless seedling expired in the heat wave that killed LB2 couple of days ago. Turns out Sexless Seedling ended up being a boy and expired days after Betty sexed him, but wanted me to see the banana balls. hmmm...I suppose I can look back to see the time frame from veg to flower for this daggone boy, but that would mean I would have to turn my head sharply to find the calendar. I could end up paralyzed.

But, this is pretty interesting. You do see the stakes, right? I'll be shuffling around my memory cards to get everything really caught up to date, but this big fat seed seedling was staked down during veg. It died in the interest of science and the rootball was reasonable. Not bound, rotted or otherwise unacceptable. A great plant, if you like dead boy plants.

Betty started doing the stakes in an effort to make all the eventual buds face upwards. That whole training thing is supposed to begin in the veg stage rather than the flower stage, yay for her figgering that out! I keep looking fondly back at EquaBlueMan's pics of his girls going from veg to flower. Sigh...weren't they the prettiest things?

Well, I've got a choice to huff around to find the memory card I want or go to bed. I think I'll call it a night. Tomorrow I am due out to Betty's. She's learning about haircuts. She thought this evening that she mighta killed LB2 by way of too short a hair cut instead of lack of air. This confuses me a bit because I thought she never trimmed a single leaf off of LB2, that LB1 was the "hey, lets cut of fan leafs offa half just to see" experiment. Wait, sorry, forgot this piece of info. LB1 is looking peaked after being shorn sez Betty. Whatever, I need to say night-nighty.

Later, gators! Hoping yawl are feeling a nice change of season. Autumn is my fave time of year and we are running into that time, YUMMO!

I've got a new grow coming soon. i posted some pics and info about my setup in the grow room set up forums but no one has offered critique yet.

I'll be growing a mixture of everything i have (lemon kush, blue dream, some randome free seeds)

It'll be a week or two while i gather supplies. its gonna be a bit different though as all my CFLs are now just side lighting, as I'm bringing an LED and a HPS to the party.

so, since you asked for seed suggestions... Blue Dream.. they're really expensive seeds though. i have three. two of those plants will be breeding

I've got a new grow coming soon. i posted some pics and info about my setup in the grow room set up forums but no one has offered critique yet.

I'll be growing a mixture of everything i have (lemon kush, blue dream, some randome free seeds)

It'll be a week or two while i gather supplies. its gonna be a bit different though as all my CFLs are now just side lighting, as I'm bringing an LED and a HPS to the party.

so, since you asked for seed suggestions... Blue Dream.. they're really expensive seeds though. i have three. two of those plants will be breeding

Wow, BlueMan, this is why I adore you. Blue Dream is going on the top of my list because you're the first to suggest, the name has blue in it, it is expensive so Betty will be impressed. I'm only being a little snide about the expensive part. Spending money wisely sometimes means dropping an extra buck. I'm all OK with spending money well.

Send me a line towards your new grow room, would ya? My laziness doesn't see the link, and I'd love to be in on the ground floor. You know I'll be busting in every once in a while.

Good job on your "stop smoking of cigs". My pick would be White Widow X Big Bud & OG Kush. Just my 50cents divided by 2 makes my 2 bits. You may need to rein in Betty and start teaching her how to grow. lol. Good night.

60cal, I'm telling you and hoping Betty and I get straight on this. I do have a lesson planned for the future. Equa!! Hoooray for you, did I mention!!! The White Room, all about you, learning your stuff, being a special guest star, and did I hear right???? You are getting into the breeding mode??????????

OK, ok, if I get any more excited I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Contemplate, Decide, Visualize , Action, Apply this often, Repeat as needed for success. Loving your steps, and slips, which can often turn into controlled gliding, allowing you to catch the next updraft. TY :green_heart:

It's awful durn fun all along the way, Dude. CDVA, not necessarily in that order, right? Brings to mind one of my own particular philosophies. "If it dies, it wasn't meant to live."

Now, all of you or any one of you can start laughing to bust a gut, but I've been sticking little teeny clipboards to Betty's forehead in the form of masking tape.. That is, naming genetics and so on. Check this out, we actually have LC1 and LC2! Yup, and ain't it cool that they can be Elsie, sorta?

Seed is doing well. 4 more bagseed have sprouted. I just now realized I forgot to do the picture thing in order to keep me in order.

I am sorry to report another Queen passing on. Yes, LB1 submitted to Death By Haircut. She gave off one last, small sputter of second bloom that I will be curing until January. If the gods shine, though, I'll still be able to get my Larry Mother by way of the LC's.

Modest first time Grower...didn't I say this would bite my butt?

Well, wee doggies! I'm not sure if I told yawl that Betty said it was all my fault that she actually felt like she was hurting a plant. She was connecting with LB1 which I will take credit for, but no way I am going to agree that I was party to 'hurting' a plant. Clippers are my second favorite tool. And Betty wasn't spouting off: she was just letting me know that she felt a plant point of view.Yay for Betty, she's a durn fine girl.

If I haven't said this before, I'm gonna say it now. When I come back, I'm going to be a tree.

This is me tickled beyond belief that my Betts is feeling her energy tangled up with Larry. She told me a couple hours ago that she snuck her fingers down into the dirt and moved one of the LC's off to the side so that she'll have a place to pin LC down. Oh, and groove on this: Betty agrees that the little seedlings should be planted in dirt that sticks around their whole life.

I feel shamelessly happy that I am furthering the cause.

over 400% of what you say is totally unintelligible and harder to follow than a game of chess in a time dilation field. but we wouldn't want it any other way lol :)

Got some pics! Have to upload them and all, but you'll be pleased to know that I realized that BEFORE I started typing this. Not getting ready to swear anytime soon.

I'm still so very excited that the Larry Line is intact and Betty is, to coin a phrase, "getting to know her." That phrase is 2J's and it's all about understanding this particular plant. Which I've been pretending to be able to do between the occasional panic attacks.

Going to leisurely upload some pics.

:peace:

Finally got some air movement in the cab. I do not understand why Betty pinned back her ears about fans, but she's been being exceedingly stubborn about the idea. Way back when I was telling her excitedly about recycling the air per minute fun stuff, she closed down. "That's just for big growers." Don't know if I told yawl, but I actually had to sneak behind her back to run fans in the beginning. Weird.

But she's getting it now. :) At least, I'm working her up to it.
seed_with_personal_fan.JPG
This is a little battery operated thing I got at Walmart marked down to four bucks. Another 98 cents got me two cheap D batteries to run it. The plan is to get another one for the top shelf, the grow shelf, because she noticed some mold. I'm going to look into how much rechargeable ones are. Told Betts "Strong stems support ginormous buds."

Super Veg Dirt on its way to Betty's!
superdirt_.JPG

I plan to tote more over her way, but I need dirt to replace the super dirt. Can't be leaving a buncha holes in the garden.

Wanted to show you guys what Betty is doing for training.
seed_staked.JPG
seed_overboard.JPG

She got really freaked out about trimming leaves after the whole death by haircut thing. Now she just wants to move the fan leaves aside so the buds can get more light and grow straight up. Since she did this to Seed, she read up on mainlining, so the next plant will be having two stems to pin down. I'll show yawl when the time comes, no way am I gonna explain it properly because, um, I don't understand it properly. ;) Her goal for the next plant is to have 8 big fat buds. If we get that, then our yield will be about 2 little jars per plant.

Here's something exciting: She's talking about HPS lighting! Whoa! She's a little unsure about it because her cab is plastic, but the really good news is her life outside the cab is becoming super less stressful, so she'll be able to chill out and maybe put the other cab back into use. What was it about HPS lighting? Driveway lights? I'm going to have to skim back and figure out what I learned about this lighting that I have since forgotten. LOL!

OK, guys, gather round and tickle this little rosy cheeked cutie.
LC1_.JPG

Yup, little LC1. LC for short because LC2 is dearly departed. All that's left of Larry. Disregard the 9/4 date--meaningless. Betty a little worried about her, another reason why she wants to get that other fan. Betty has had the fan on Seed only for a couple of days, but she's noticed a big difference already in strength.

I never did tell you guys that the new leaves the Twins got after reverting back to veg had 3 fingers, every last stinking leaf! And now, looking at LC, I think this aberration is going to continue. Except instead of big three fingered leaves, LC is sporting big one fingered leaves. Does this mean if we clone LC we're going to get LD with zero leaves? I'm gonna visit Betty in a couple of hours and intend to take a REALLY close gander at LC's leaves.

:love: hearts and flowers to all of ya. May be back later tonight.

Fans are a necessity for all levels of growers when you grow inside. Place the fan(s) so they do not directly hit the plants. This will cause photosynthesis problems, the leaves move to much to do their thing right. This will also cause the plants to dry out faster, as the fast air sucks the water out of the soil . You want a slight shake of the leaves, this exposes the most surface area to your light sources .
Fans will help keep temps down, mold in check, and the air fresh, she needs to breathe too, so give her air.

P.S. you are doing great! All into bonsai already. Its a great way to grow this plant indoors. Many people find that manipulation of some type is required for indoor growing. You went for one of the more difficult ways, mainlining, or fluxing as its called at 420 mag. There are some great growers here using that style to great effect. Good luck and happy gardening.

over 400% of what you say is totally unintelligible and harder to follow than a game of chess in a time dilation field. but we wouldn't want it any other way lol :)

Which part didn't you understand? LOL! I just read what I wrote about four times and I understand about a third of it.

Fans are a necessity for all levels of growers when you grow inside. Place the fan(s) so they do not directly hit the plants. This will cause photosynthesis problems, the leaves move to much to do their thing right. This will also cause the plants to dry out faster, as the fast air sucks the water out of the soil . You want a slight shake of the leaves, this exposes the most surface area to your light sources .
Fans will help keep temps down, mold in check, and the air fresh, she needs to breathe too, so give her air.

P.S. you are doing great! All into bonsai already. Its a great way to grow this plant indoors. Many people find that manipulation of some type is required for indoor growing. You went for one of the more difficult ways, mainlining, or fluxing as its called at 420 mag. There are some great growers here using that style to great effect. Good luck and happy gardening.

The day to day care is all in Betty's hands now. She's lost a few plants and learned it wasn't the end of the world. She also just plain learned. That excited gobbledy gook the my Equiman commented on was my knowing I made a convert. Betty is handling the plants with confidence and a sense of the plant's identity. A new slant on the definition of life, a feeling I hope grows and brings her closer to The Circle of Life.

Yay for Betty!:cheer:

OK, I'm about to go back in time, just for a little bit, because this whole thing is supposed to be a learning experience. This is all about Death By Haircut, and I really wish I was the one who had been holding the clippers, because there is a lesson here, but I don't want to sound like I am dissing Betty.
lb1_before_haircut.JPG

When Betty got the Twins, she did her own experiments. Both plants got pegged down according, but only one plant got their fan leaves trimmed. LB1 was the one trimmed. Take a good look at the leaves, would ya? I'm talking about the number of fingers on them. Does anyone see a leaf with more than three fingers? Pretend like this is a Where's Waldo.

new_flower_cab.JPG

Here is Betty's cab. It's like a Rubber Maid type of thing. Been meaning to show you. The middle section is gonna be flowering, too.

Back
Top Bottom