Modest First Time Grower In Charge Of Success

Subscribed erieflwr, I read some of your post over at PeeJay's journal and wanted to see your grow. I'll be back in awhile, I have to go to the start and read my way back.

Happy 4th to one and all. Where I am sitting, it is a perfect day. 68 degrees, 8 mile winds, 49% humidity, nary a cloud in the sky. Wish I could bring the girls outside for this loveliness, but prolly not that good of an idea. :) Rule of thumb: If it feels good to us humans, it's prolly good for the girls.

Now, I just got back from Equa Blue's room and by golly, miss molly! He's doing so well, and it is a really nice thing for me to compare my particular girls to. Equa started 12/12 just a few days after I did. His photos are a nice underscore for me to ponder.

This is what I was pondering a couple of nights ago.
cab22.JPG
cab_black_and_white.jpg
I'm not being particularly artistic with the black and white photo, but removing the color accentuates the light. Yes, I am on the brink of a Captain Obvious moment. Why haven't I painted the cab's ceiling white?

The short answer, of course, Betty and I started out with lights up there and have been planing to replace them, so I haven't really considered the ceiling as anything except "Lights Coming Soon." Betty's life out of the closet is in a little muddle, so I've known for some time that "Soon" wasn't happening until "Later". When I thought about Equa using a piece of typing paper, I was toying with some on my ceiling. Or contact paper, or, yes, maybe some paint. But I had no sense of urgency about it.

But thanks to Equa's update and a few cups of coffee, I feel the urgency. Because here is another thing: I broke down and watered Larry B2 last night, simply because I wanted to test the PH. You may recall that I planned to err on underwatering, but I just couldn't stand it any more. Used just enough dehumidified water (you know what I mean) to get a sample 'out'. Still wayyyy 4. Turned the 'in' water blue, and the out water got closer to 5. I'm not freaking out, really, but it's a puzzle. Can I amend the soil in a timely way? Is changing the Ph in really making a difference to the root ball?

In the middle of my puzzle, I forgot what time it was and lights went out. I carefully bumbled my way out, but made sure I was at the door for first light. I'd left B1 on the floor, my toys weren't put away...and B2 was a inch taller! I looked at the ceiling and thought, "No room for lights again."

BLAMMO! Somewhere between that thought and sitting down here, Captain Obvious slapped me upside the head. The only thing that is stopping me from painting the cab RIGHT NOW is because I don't have any. I avoid shopping on holidays on principal.

Before I leave off, I have something else to show you. I saw moisture after 24 hours in the jar. This is Pauline.
moisture1.JPG

Thought this wouldn't hurt. ;)
solution.JPG

Today I invested in a dozen humidipacks. They'll be coming in a few days. I can't wait to take em for a test drive.
:love:
Marion

moisture in the jar... scary scary lol

my biggest fear in all of this is being raped by mould right at the final whistle. that would crush me. take them back out and hang them up for a while longer i reckon.

humidipaks won't so much take the moisture out as keep it in; that is to say, the 63% ones won't stop humidity going above 63%, their purpose is to stop it going below. If you've got liquid water in the jar we're talking well above 63% humidity.

Also, re: the paper thing? i decided against cos it had a whiff of fire hazard about it. If the grow room goes up in flames that puts the stairs out of order. and i don't like jumping out of windows lol

You are a smart guy not doing something crazy with your room. And WOULDN'T it just suck to get mold as the final middle finger? I put Pauline in a new jar, JUST because. That whole harvest now fits in the small sized jar. Since it underwent the fan treatment, the buds got noticeably drier, which is why I can't wait to get the hudipaks. With any kind of luck, I can take my time to start curing and Betty won't freak out if she can open the lid and feel a nice 62% bud between her fingers.

Boys and girls, one and all. Gramma discovered the flower cab and searched her heart. I moved the Larry Clone twins to Betty's yesterday at Gram's request to remove something that she as a home owner could be embarrassed by. She knows that Larry can help her daughter and she wishes...well not beating a dead horse here, but I am hoping I can keep this thread going if Gram has a change of heart.

Betty will kill the twins sure as fast if I can't come up with a way to prevent that.

Feel like a jerk being this emotionally attached to a flipping plant. Gram asked me if Larry helped Mama, and I had to say i didn't know. Store bought is to expensive to cook with. Maybe I'll just track down What's His Name's Young Punk friend who makes the brownies.

Maybe I can bring the girls back. I'm sure there is a limit on how long I can keep this going. But can I keep my identity here?

HAPPY trails.
Marion

i personally think you put them in the jar too early; but we'll see how it comes out in the wash as they say :p

I think you are right. The humidipacks are coming soon, though, dude. I think I dried them out too much in a fit of panic. Let's see if the packs balance out some of the crap

:sorry:

And you were having so much fun, too! Of course you can still hang out... Keep us updated with how Betty does. She's ex-military. Maybe if you take to wearing stars on your shoulders she will follow your orders?

:sorry:

And you were having so much fun, too! Of course you can still hang out... Keep us updated with how Betty does. She's ex-military. Maybe if you take to wearing stars on your shoulders she will follow your orders?

Yeah, right! Her life out of the cab is beginning to get a lot more calm, so maybe there is a chance in heck....

But, where there is life, there is hope!
flash1.JPG

I do like hanging out with yawl, and Gram may have a change of heart. Or, better yet, these United States may just come to it's senses and now I'm an nearly modest kinda sorta expert, in a way, primed and ready to grow some primo stuff!

LOL! I can always come here and grouse every once in a while. EquaBlue Man, I don't recall if I ever answered directly, but when you said you personally thought I harvested too early, I was nodding my head so much one of my ears fell off! It was my little ploy to get Betty offa my case. With visions of many future harvests in my dreams, I thought I'd sacrifice a little.

So far the twins are none the worse for wear. I did pluck off a couple of those last mitten leaves.

Plan to do a little cruisnin in the journals in a bit...I've been in mourning--I kid you not! Cried real tears, cross my heart.

So, I'll be tottling in every once in a while and throwing my .072 Euro around, don't yawl worry. When I took the girls over to Betty's I took only the plants. Today I took the lights, my favorite toy, the fert. I've never had kids, but I imagined it was like packing for Summer Camp, or sending them off to University.

Cheers, yawl!
Marion

yours is one of the most interesting journals I've read on here and I'm subscribed to about 40 grows.

even after your grow, it would be most salubrious if you stuck around :)

you'd better do another grow woman lol

Every one better hold on to their hats....I am coming up with something spectacular....terrariums, bonsai, dirt, miniaturization...Equa, may I use your nifty word salubrious???...damn straight, dude, I'm going to figure out something, someway...

There's an old movie called "The Graduate." Trying really hard here not to get off subject, but there is a line from that movie where Dustin Hoffman is given advise. "One word: Plastics."

Poked around a bit on growing weed in terrariums and the info is mostly 4 or 5 years old. A quick poke, mind you, and none of the information was posted by anyone NEARLY as confident or as humble as I am. All along the lines of "wonder if I can..."

It won't surprise anyone of you that when I said I'd learn Bonsai, I thought I was making it up as a joke. Bonsai, giggle, giggle. But fer goodness sake, bonsai IS a practice among us. Blow me down with a feather.

My spirits have been uplifted a thousand fold. Betty has a 100 gallon aquarium--not sure how many liters or kiloliters that is, my European friends, but I was thinking I could work up to that from Mayonnaise jars.

Here's the thing...well, two things. First, I thought it was about time to invest in some genetics. I wouldn't mind at this stage to invest in cash for germination, veg, flower and harvest appoximates instead of fighting with Betty to wait--wait--slow down.

The other thing is I can't quite reconcile a way for me to disobey Gramma...directly. Funny, I break certain laws but I can't--well, I don't want to burst into tears again. MAN sorry, every so often it just hits me that my twins are at Summer Camp.

The terrarium thing has been itching in the back of my brain for a while. Actually, PeeJay, it's been itching since I started hanging out at your place. Had to do with when I thought you should stake up your Alpha and Beta. Went romping off in a different direction when I realized your camouflage plant wasn't keeping up, marched on towards transpiration--I never did send you the sketches I planned to make of a really cute glass topped table with planter on top and a second hidey hole underneath. The plant on top, of course, was an asparagus fern.

Good golly, it was time for bed an hour ago, but I am feeling so good that I don't mind sitting up way past bedtime and bleating out happy plans for happy days.

One word:Autofloweringterrariums

i must say, i remember The Graduate for very different reasons lol

also, you just reminded me how much i miss my red eared turtles; itchy and scratchy. :(

i must say, i remember The Graduate for very different reasons lol

also, you just reminded me how much i miss my red eared turtles; itchy and scratchy. :(

I never did look up the given names of your current Ladies. Were Itchy and Scratchy early learning attempts in our particular field of endeavor, or were they really Sliders? Either way, bet there is a way to keep them in your pantry with your cup cakes.

I tried really hard to 'answer with quote'​
in a multiple kind of way...like a short-winded kind of way, but hey, that's not really my style any way.
BUT​
i've got an editorial coming and deadlines and all. Do you hear what I'm saying, or as the young punks would say now "Do you smell what I am growing?"

So, with a nod to the rest of ya, and wink towards the future flea market sales, I'm about to gallop on into thought. Well, not gallop, sorry. My brain is more like a startled rabbit or a confused Kangaroo.

OK, so. I warned you all. An editorial. On topic enough, I hope, to let me carry on. ;)

First things first: I got the B62's today. A photograph will follow, because I have reverted to being unprepared. I have decided that this is not a character flaw, but just another way to explore alternatives. PeeJay, if you would, I got these things today in a plastic package with only one instruction. ***keep bag away from children*** I know, I know I coulda read up a little more on the web site, but my thought is I can open this plastic bag, remove the one I need, then put the other 11 in a sealed baggie to keep them from becoming over-exerted. I invested good money, 12 for $12, thinking they would all be in use by Autumn. Blast! I can't help myself...

OK, it is 8:17pm my time on July 10th. I opened my new investment, stuck one of them in what's left of Pauline, another in the store-bought stuff, and the remaining 10--lemme count, yes 10 in a ziplock baggie. I bow here, to Science.

Dang, off track a bit. If any of you know the quick answer to what to do with unused B62's, just, please, give me the quick answer of, "You are absolutely correct, as always, Marion" or the other correct, quick answer. Just don't quote my wrong answer. It's so embarrassing.

Ah, I just remembered. Remember I gave harvested and jarred Larry to Betty to hold because I might have to be gone for a long, 48 hour stretch? Please see 2J's gadget for leaving your girls for a stretch. I won't hope to post it here.

Two things about that. One: Betty let one of What's His Name's Punk Friend have a bit of a puff, and Young Punk had an extremely pleasant experience. Two: the jar containing that very first harvest has disappeared. Sigh. SOMEbody thought it was good. Woulda been better, dontcha think, if I woulda got the B62's in. Saved a buck against theft, eh? The clones, if you will recall, are Larry clones. Pauline in the jar beside me with her B62 is the last of her kind. The Pauline Clones succumbed to, uh, death.

OK, the editorial part. If this is inappropriate for a journal, well, I apologize.

I knew that my title would, in some way, trip me up. If only for myself, because shouting that I am modest is my way of acknowledging my failings. I am 52 years old and thought by now all this crap would be a moot point. This is gonna sound way off course, but I just realized a few hours ago that the allergy medication I've been taking is poison for me. We, here, want to be able to eat the dirt in which we grow our medication. I am misquoting a dirt geek on purpose, but ahhh, it's all an editorial after all. Regularly, on the clock, I have legally poisoned myself, over the counter, with crap.

Editorial done, sorry about all that, but needed a way to justify why I don't mind biting my fingernails after gardening but don't want to be eating crap.

Long day, sorry. Woke up ready to fight kittens.
Marion

Back
Top Bottom