Welcome To My New Journal - OMMSOG

Forgive my questions but, I see your're using hydroton. Is that just a top layer or is that through the whole airpot? If it's the whole airpot how to they retain water? Or do you water multiple times a day?
Again, sorry with all the questions

No problem my Friend:Namaste:

Hydroton for more air to the top roots....AirPot roots go the straight to the sides of the pots..........and makes for more even watering. Since one really packs the soil in the AirPots, they hold water just fine. I water every three days at the moment. :surf:

Kinda destroys the idea of never packing your soil.

Hey Woodsman :high-five: I like saying that again. Oh! noes....same name! Lets see Pipehead, Pipe Maker. OakStock? Woodstock? Hand Made. Endless possibilities. Now to see if they will change it. Give J a hug for me. Glad to see you old rascal. By the way, my nurse is still around. :thumb:

I'll give here that hug O, it was her Bday earlier by the way (4/2). Pipehead would be fitting and I kind of like it! I'll think about it.

That nurse must be worn out by now with you chasing here around all these years! Does she still have the large buds? Too bad you've had all those thievery problems and had to buy all the top secret anti personnel devises (from Acme of Roadrunner fame). It's most likely to dangerous for me to do anything covert. I'm thinking only one man could do it though....the Kid! Does the train still run to the Island?:lot-o-toke:

'YES' to lavendar :circle-of-love: doing a journal again. How else will we learn of all the amazing strains.

I'll give here that hug O, it was her Bday earlier by the way (4/2). Pipehead would be fitting and I kind of like it! I'll think about it.

That nurse must be worn out by now with you chasing here around all these years! Does she still have the large buds? Too bad you've had all those thievery problems and had to buy all the top secret anti personnel devises (from Acme of Roadrunner fame). It's most likely to dangerous for me to do anything covert. I'm thinking only one man could do it though....the Kid! Does the train still run to the Island?:lot-o-toke:

'YES' to lavendar :circle-of-love: doing a journal again. How else will we learn of all the amazing strains.

Better watch out for the O hug....it's irresistible :Namaste: Pipehead is perfect, since I thought of it! I better Google Acme...they probably have what I need. Yea the Kid has been working on it, to make it float better. Good to have you drop in Buddy..keep it up!
Let you in on a secret the Nurse has trainees!!!
:circle-of-love:

Nice.... girls have come a long way in short time since i have last been here....Nice bushy plants my friend. :goodjob:

Thanks! Day 10 of flower.......I'm stoked! :Namaste:

Better watch out for the O hug....it's irresistible :Namaste: Pipehead is perfect, since I thought of it! I better Google Acme...they probably have what I need. Yea the Kid has been working on it, to make it float better. Good to have you drop in Buddy..keep it up!
Let you in on a secret the Nurse has trainees!!!
:circle-of-love:

Trainees! :circle-of-love:

Girls are looking top notch OMM, I have a good feeling about this grow:high-five:

Been looking into airpots, and smartpots....
On the official site you linked to, there is a little American flag up at the top...When you click it, it takes you to a link that has 3 different places in the US that have all the pots, in gallons rather than litres, and in dollars rather than pounds....
Home
That was just one of them, but I think I'll be ordering from that one...
Thanks again for the link!!

Girls are looking top notch OMM, I have a good feeling about this grow:high-five:

Been looking into airpots, and smartpots....
On the official site you linked to, there is a little American flag up at the top...When you click it, it takes you to a link that has 3 different places in the US that have all the pots, in gallons rather than litres, and in dollars rather than pounds....
Home
That was just one of them, but I think I'll be ordering from that one...
Thanks again for the link!!

HI Quix Hey thanks, never saw the flag. DuH.
You'll love the AirPots.
Me and you both about this grow!:thumb:

BY the way gave you plus reps!

As usual with me, when I look into something new to try, confusion arises.

You have mentioned not packing the soil.

I asked this question in a post earlier today.

{I normally get a lot of water that runs through my regular pot if it drys out a bit. To stop that I plug the 2 holes in the buckets with tape and let the water sit for 20-30 min then remove the tape and very little water comes out.

How do you get the water to stay in the air pots with so many holes?

My next experiment is to make a sort of bag out of landscape fabric that fits in the current pots I use and water the same way. I read this stops the roots from circling like the air pots do. comments? }

and this is the answer I got.

{You have to pack the beejeezus out of the AirPots, for starters, and work it *into* the holes as much as possible. Once I decided to water, I'd start in the center with a sprinkling head until the surface was wetted well, then work my way out to the edges. Hope this helps

The landscape fabric bags work essentially the same, but I find are handier for using 'wicking' types of hydro - they're for sale as 'GrowBags' or some such, comercially. If you've a decent hand with a sewing machine though, I'd opt for making my own too!}

How do you water to avoid run off?

{I normally get a lot of water that runs through my regular pot if it drys out a bit. To stop that I plug the 2 holes in the buckets with tape and let the water sit for 20-30 min then remove the tape and very little water comes out.

My next experiment is to make a sort of bag out of landscape fabric that fits in the current pots I use and water the same way. I read this stops the roots from circling like the air pots do. comments? }

{You have to pack the beejeezus out of the AirPots, for starters, and work it *into* the holes as much as possible. Once I decided to water, I'd start in the center with a sprinkling head until the surface was wetted well, then work my way out to the edges. Hope this helps

The landscape fabric bags work essentially the same, but I find are handier for using 'wicking' types of hydro - they're for sale as 'GrowBags' or some such, comercially. If you've a decent hand with a sewing machine though, I'd opt for making my own too!}

Loosely packing the soil into an airpot will only let soil run through the myriad of holes in the side, and out the bottom. I would advise against this.

The point of an airpot is to air prune the roots as they grow. This causes the roots to split and grow back into the pot as two. This is a boon to the grower with little space to work with as you can DOUBLE even TRIPLE the root mass in the space provided. Growing in clay or plastic, this is not a good thing, but in airpots, this is the point of it all. You want them to prune, and grow back into the pot. Getting "rootbound", unlike in clay or plastic, is what you want. the structure is not as big and bulky as in clay because of the splitting that occurs when they air prune and grow back in. At the end of the flower, there will be a nice mass of root that will have supported large growth and heavy flowers.

As for the water runoff, I see this often when perusing this magazine, I can offer only one solution: set all your airpots in a flood tray of some sort. Water as normal, the runoff will get soaked up eventually via wicking from underneath. Anything left siphon off or otherwise remove after 30min. To prevent drying (as this is the enemy of tightly packed soil) go get a timer, and a res, and a pump and some supply lines ($30 bucks at most). Watering on a schedule is the only way to avoid the pot's drying. I'd say, start with 2x/day and see if it's staying too wet. Maybe one good soak per day will be enough. on this, play around a bit. One day of being waterlogged will not hurt your plants. Maybe once/day for 15 min to get a good soak all the way through, then cut it back to 5 min per day. you're going to have to play around with watering for your climate and for your size of pots, but it will be worth it in the long run to keep all that feed and water from just running right off.

Hi Hash Hound :thumb:

I'm a bit confused as to why you would not want a run off. This would lead you into root rot quickly, Not something you want to happen. It would kill your plants quickly.
The taping of your holes for a few minutes is fine and I think you do get good saturation that way, Don't for get to take the tape off.

In AirPots you want to pack the soil as tightly as you can. If you don't the AirPot will not function as they are supposed to. The roots in the AirPots will work they're way to the holes through the tightly packed soil. Once through the holes they are pruned by air. They die which is OK. That is why AirPots work so well.

Watering AirPots is a slow process. I add a little at a time so it soaks all the way through. When soaked, they have run off also through the grate in the bottom of the AirPot.

I guess putting cloth in a regular pot would slow down the run off and would still work and your roots would finally work it's way through the cloth.

I am lost as to why you want to stop run off, it's good for your plants to have run off. You can also find out if your plants are using what ever nutes you are using is being used by your plants.

Hope this helps you. I would watch the videos on the AirPot site to under stand them better. Good Luck my friend! :morenutes:

OMM

I get to check on my plants usually 2 days a week for watering. If the pot gets a little dry and I add a gallon or two, it seems like half runs out. If I block the holes and let it soak a little, very little runs out. On occasion I also run more water through after the soaking to rinse out the media a little.

I don't know why I always want to try change what is working, but I figure there is always room for improvement. Tough to try different methods when the current system is turning out plant like the Diesel

Diesel_9_wks_flwr_1.jpg

Loosely packing the soil into an airpot will only let soil run through the myriad of holes in the side, and out the bottom. I would advise against this.

The point of an airpot is to air prune the roots as they grow. This causes the roots to split and grow back into the pot as two. This is a boon to the grower with little space to work with as you can DOUBLE even TRIPLE the root mass in the space provided. Growing in clay or plastic, this is not a good thing, but in airpots, this is the point of it all. You want them to prune, and grow back into the pot. Getting "rootbound", unlike in clay or plastic, is what you want. the structure is not as big and bulky as in clay because of the splitting that occurs when they air prune and grow back in. At the end of the flower, there will be a nice mass of root that will have supported large growth and heavy flowers.

As for the water runoff, I see this often when perusing this magazine, I can offer only one solution: set all your airpots in a flood tray of some sort. Water as normal, the runoff will get soaked up eventually via wicking from underneath. Anything left siphon off or otherwise remove after 30min. To prevent drying (as this is the enemy of tightly packed soil) go get a timer, and a res, and a pump and some supply lines ($30 bucks at most). Watering on a schedule is the only way to avoid the pot's drying. I'd say, start with 2x/day and see if it's staying too wet. Maybe one good soak per day will be enough. on this, play around a bit. One day of being waterlogged will not hurt your plants. Maybe once/day for 15 min to get a good soak all the way through, then cut it back to 5 min per day. you're going to have to play around with watering for your climate and for your size of pots, but it will be worth it in the long run to keep all that feed and water from just running right off.

must have missed it on the previous page, here it is as a bump.

OMM

I get to check on my plants usually 2 days a week for watering. If the pot gets a little dry and I add a gallon or two, it seems like half runs out. If I block the holes and let it soak a little, very little runs out. On occasion I also run more water through after the soaking to rinse out the media a little.

I don't know why I always want to try change what is working, but I figure there is always room for improvement. Tough to try different methods when the current system is turning out plant like the Diesel

Diesel_9_wks_flwr_1.jpg

:circle-of-love::circle-of-love::circle-of-love: I agree Hash Hound......why change a thing. That Diesel is yummy!

Another thing you can do is get a large container of water and put the AirPot in it. When it stops floating and starts to submerge it is soaked. I believe OG13 came up with that idea. THsea does his air pots that way.

To darn heavy for this old man! :thumb:

Hi Hash Hound :thumb:

I'm a bit confused as to why you would not want a run off. This would lead you into root rot quickly, Not something you want to happen. It would kill your plants quickly.
The taping of your holes for a few minutes is fine and I think you do get good saturation that way, Don't for get to take the tape off.

In AirPots you want to pack the soil as tightly as you can. If you don't the AirPot will not function as they are supposed to. The roots in the AirPots will work they're way to the holes through the tightly packed soil. Once through the holes they are pruned by air. They die which is OK. That is why AirPots work so well.

Watering AirPots is a slow process. I add a little at a time so it soaks all the way through. When soaked, they have run off also through the grate in the bottom of the AirPot.

I guess putting cloth in a regular pot would slow down the run off and would still work and your roots would finally work it's way through the cloth.

I am lost as to why you want to stop run off, it's good for your plants to have run off. You can also find out if your plants are using what ever nutes you are using is being used by your plants.

Hope this helps you. I would watch the videos on the AirPot site to under stand them better. Good Luck my friend! :morenutes:

Nice post, OMM. I agree so far on the watering and the method - this is what I do with mine and coir as well... I would +rep you but I must have too recently. I like to measure my run-off too, some of my plants take quite a bit out before it almost immediately runs back out. Goes in at 750ppm, runs off at 500ppm, for example. Trips me out how quickly they remove what they need!!

Nice post, Jandre. +rep

I keep mine on little saucers or on a tray, and water every time until I have some runoff, and then I just leave a little in the saucer, or dump it if it's a less mature plant and I don't want it sitting in the water. I use mostly the Smart Pots, but have one small Air Pot, now too, with coco coir. I need to water them all once a day so far...

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry or just feel like it, I water from the bottom by filling the little saucers up about 3/4" or so, and let the plant suck it up from the bottom. This way is super quick, so it's great when I don't feel like messing around.

Hi OMM! I'm behind, so I'll need to go back some - wanted to say hi though!

Nice post, OMM. I agree so far on the watering and the method - this is what I do with mine and coir as well... I would +rep you but I must have too recently. I like to measure my run-off too, some of my plants take quite a bit out before it almost immediately runs back out. Goes in at 750ppm, runs off at 500ppm, for example. Trips me out how quickly they remove what they need!!

Nice post, Jandre. +rep

I keep mine on little saucers or on a tray, and water every time until I have some runoff, and then I just leave a little in the saucer, or dump it if it's a less mature plant and I don't want it sitting in the water. I use mostly the Smart Pots, but have one small Air Pot, now too, with coco coir. I need to water them all once a day so far...

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry or just feel like it, I water from the bottom by filling the little saucers up about 3/4" or so, and let the plant suck it up from the bottom. This way is super quick, so it's great when I don't feel like messing around.

Hi OMM! I'm behind, so I'll need to go back some - wanted to say hi though!

Thanks for the rep!

I agree that airpots take a li'l to water (slow and steady), that's why I suggested a pump and tubing, Drip stakes run at such a slow rate there will be very little runoff before it is soaked through. With this idea though you'd want to have them in flood trays and have some sort of drain so extra water would drain away from the pots and roots so it wouldn't promote root rot. This is because the pump wil eventually run longer than the pots can absorb, and there will be excess. When this happens, just dial back the length of the pump running a minute or two and voila! The goal is to water just enough so as not to over do it, but still have time to do other things in the garden, rather than standing there with a water bucket for 30min watering 5 or 6 plants!

Thanks for the rep!

I agree that airpots take a li'l to water (slow and steady), that's why I suggested a pump and tubing, Drip stakes run at such a slow rate there will be very little runoff before it is soaked through. With this idea though you'd want to have them in flood trays and have some sort of drain so extra water would drain away from the pots and roots so it wouldn't promote root rot. This is because the pump wil eventually run longer than the pots can absorb, and there will be excess. When this happens, just dial back the length of the pump running a minute or two and voila! The goal is to water just enough so as not to over do it, but still have time to do other things in the garden, rather than standing there with a water bucket for 30min watering 5 or 6 plants!

Hey Buddy, you just described me. I water slowly with RO water (50 cents a gal at safeway) and I don't mind standing there for a while. I like to look at my girls. Jandre.......before you say get a RO system, which I know you will. :ganjamon: I have an old house and it would be a major cost factor in side. Then I thought of an outside RO system and couldn't do that either. This was once a beach and you hit sea water at about 18". I would create a swamp in my back yard. I buy 30 to 50 gallons at a time...what a pain to move them.
I have a tray under my plants, like you said for run off. Even a large plastic dish is OK for overflow, since AirPots have an inch or more distance from the runoff it works out. I feel luck to be growing in Hawaii, but the costs are incredible, :morenutes: Make that it costs allot to grow inside!

Great looking plants OMM! What a beautiful harem of ladies you have there! :thumb:

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom