Are you suggesting mixing less calcium into the soil and supplementing when watering, to help make it more instantly available? I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly.
What I got from that was that in a smaller pot you’ll probably need more readily available nutrients to supplement what’s in the soil, which I’m inclined to agree with but also could be completely wrong..

Are you suggesting mixing less calcium into the soil and supplementing when watering, to help make it more instantly available? I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly.
I think what Keff means is that if you bring your calcium in via water instead of in the pot as an amendment, then the space saved in the pot by not adding calcium can be used by adding more food.

It's interesting to get different heads in the game! Talking about dolo water. My impression was that this was something especially to keep soil ph in a range that sativa plants like it most. Up a little compared to indica plants.
To me it's poor man's CalMag. I prefer the Ca to be in the soil but no matter how you supply it, as long as it's there.

Application matters! Like that fat disappearing injection for diabetes. Just if you have diabetes blindness can occur! 🤦‍♂️ Multi use is awesome to me!
It is.

Lol heres a kicker for you. If your body calcium is low and mag gets high, nitrogen gets locked, just like in soil.

Protein is nitrogen, so low calcium in a human leads to high carbs on the carbs/proteins ratio, weight goes on, and mathematically speaking you can't outrun type 2 diabetes.

Humans need calmag too or we get a nitro def. Take vitamin D and eat calcium rich foods and nitro will unlock, proteins become available again, and you will lose weight😊.

Hope you don’t mind if I share this here as well. Would like feedback on why or why not this seems to work so well for me…
Perfect timing to add a note about flowering. In this case it’s outdoor mama but the same generally applies for indoor. So we’re in week 10 going into week 11 so it’s tea/garden gravy weekend for her in my case. Two points of observation are that she slowed down growing in height and she has the beginnings of pistils seen in the attached photo. To me this is a critical moment before blast off. Therefore, this weeks feeding will consist of the same gravy ratios I’ve mentioned before, but also 4tbsp of molasses diluted in 5ga buckets as well. I will saturate her this evening with about 2 ga of the diluted molasses and tomorrow I will blast her with 2 more ga of the gravy. Then for next top dressing she will get 1 ga of the diluted molasses and go back to her regular schedule. I don’t know exactly why this works so well but hopefully she doesn’t make a fool of me. Fasten your seat belts :)

IMG_1910.jpeg

I should add that this could be wk 30 or wk 9 which is why it’s important to observe vs just following a calendar. If I started veg indoors for 16 weeks and brought out in may then I wouldn’t see this till about week 26 as an example.

If age doesn't matter then I would huess it's yied to day length. The days are still long but they are getting shorter. I always put my plants out on the 1st day of Summer. They usually explode in July and then on Aug 7th in my region flower and stretch start.

Could what you are seeing be tied to light cycles?

If age doesn't matter then I would huess it's yied to day length. The days are still long but they are getting shorter. I always put my plants out on the 1st day of Summer. They usually explode in July and then on Aug 7th in my region flower and stretch start.

Could what you are seeing be tied to light cycles?
Most definitely light cycles for mine because I’ve never grown an auto. My indoor veg or clone etc cycle is 100% 16/8 because I believe everything needs at least 8 hours rest. Outdoors I see the same flower starts as you, July or aug. my indica dominant are usually done by mid to late Oct and my Sativa dominants are usually not done till Nov or later so they tend to end up back indoors - at least to the degree possible with spaces I have…

But my question was more around what is the science behind why or why not my extra feeding at this stage works for me…

But my question was more around what is the science behind why or why not my extra feeding at this stage works for me…
Ok I see what you mean now. Well the days are long and hot and the soil biology is at it's peak with all that warmth and the warm nights, so right now is definitely a good time to add extra food. It will go to good use. Everything in my garden explodes right around now, so if you give it extra food you will be rewarded.

In that same vein I’ve seen several mentions about controlling ppm while feeding and so on which I’ve never done personally, I just follow my schedule and add a little extra at various stages and so on without any apparent ill effects. I always just chalked it up to having good soil, compost etc and plants taking what they need at any given moment. As I learn more about the science of it I’m watching more closely and journaling again.

In that same vein I’ve seen several mentions about controlling ppm while feeding and so on which I’ve never done personally, I just follow my schedule and add a little extra at various stages and so on without any apparent ill effects. I always just chalked it up to having good soil, compost etc and plants taking what they need at any given moment. As I learn more about the science of it I’m watching more closely and journaling again.
Calcium is the big one to watch your ppm's with. It's an electrolyte so it contains a charge. Too much at once will fry your plant.

I don't really feed much in the way of liquids. I use 1 or 2 teas from seed to harvest and I use hydrolysed fish ferts for the myco, but otherwise I like top dressings. Mineral dusts and EWC mostly.

When I'm in tiny pots like the ones I'm flowering in now I use dolomite water as a CalMag, but 75-85ppm is the max I mix it at. I like it best at about 50ppm.

At the end of all this my hope is that everyone following along can say holy worm copulation Batman, this guy can grow great meds! By the same token, I hope anyone following along also chimes in with oh, that’s good but if you tried doing x here and y there I bet you’d see even better results! Hence why fish ferts and dolo water are in the queue for next round.

At the end of all this my hope is that everyone following along can say holy worm copulation Batman, this guy can grow great meds! By the same token, I hope anyone following along also chimes in with oh, that’s good but if you tried doing x here and y there I bet you’d see even better results! Hence why fish ferts and dolo water are in the queue for next round.
really it's all about balance. Azi is deep into finding full nutritional balance from his own property. He still uses some commercial product, but he is slowly replacing them with home remedies.
I prefer the convenience of purchase.

You can make almost anything work if you cover all your bases. I highly recommend you trying things out.

Sometimes you stumble onto a piece that you didn't even know was missing.

And just because someone says yea or ney to something doesn't mean you shouldn't go see for yourself.

A lot of good things get scorned because it's an organic plus but a synthetic guy tries and fails, and vica versa, and it was actually just used wrong, so if anything looks like it might work for you then definitely try it.

really it's all about balance. Azi is deep into finding full nutritional balance from his own property. He still uses some commercial product, but he is slowly replacing them with home remedies.

You can make almost anything work if you cover all your bases. I highly recommend you trying things out.

And just because someone says yea or ney to something doesn't mean you shouldn't go see for yourself.

A lot of good things get scorned because it's an organic plus but a synthetic guy tries and fails, and vica versa, and it was actually just used wrong, so if anything looks like it might work for you then definitely try it.

Just keep enough calcium available in your system to provide tilth and run the CEC, and balance your carbs and proteins in anything you compost or cook, including your worm farm, and the rest is really easy and problem free.

Just keep enough calcium available in your system to provide tilth and run the CEC, and balance your carbs and proteins in anything you compost or cook, including your worm farm, and the rest is really easy and problem free.
Nail on the head right here. This is why I try to never introduce anything new Willy nilly. Next run I will have a clone that I do normal and add fish ferts based upon recommendations of those that use it. There will be another clone that gets both fish ferts, and dolo water in addition to normal. Normal for those may be modified based on input as well but will try to keep all variables in check as much as possible. Also worth mentioning that while clones may be best for testing and comparison, not all clones will ever be equal though they tend to normalize over time.

Back
Top Bottom