The unfortunate thing about knowledge and intelligence is when no one else is interested in the same thing 😂

Meristematic tissue/cells are undifferentiated (unprogrammed for @Gee64 🤣) they need a hormone/signal to begin differentiating. However, these cells are at the tips of your roots and shoots, that’s where they reside and get their signals sent to. There’s also cells in the internodes, and between the phloem and xylem.. You can see where they’re hanging out and why.

So with that, when we top, we most definitely are legitimately obliterating the cells and tissue from the plant. This means that when the plant “hormone shifts” it’s doing much more than just shifting. It’s either losing those apical meristem cells altogether, and the nodal meristem cells take over hence the lateral growth, or it’s regenerating new meristem cells. In the time it takes the plant to shift after topping I’m not willing to believe it’s a simple hormone shift. I think we have obliterated the apical meristem cells for the plants entire life.

I don’t like this at all, and it’s very counterintuitive to the natural organic path I’m trying to put it on. This seems like it’s automatically preventing our plants from reaching their genetic potential. Regardless of what our eyes see or what the yield is, removing these cells most certainly must have inflicted some level of trauma and damage to the plants potential.
Oh no too late. I just topped for the first time all my plants

Oh no too late. I just topped for the first time all my plants

Topping has its benefits if you have height/space limits, are working with a lower powered light fixture or require aesthetics in your grow. Beyond that, there is no good reason to do it. Letting the plant grow in its natural state is best if your environment can handle it. My plants grow much larger, much faster, and are far more healthy since switching over.

You’ll be fine though.. just will need extra recovery time

Topping has its benefits if you have height limits, or are working with a lower powered light fixture. Beyond that, there is no good reason to do it. Letting the plant grow in its natural state is best if your environment can handle it. My plants grow much larger, much faster, and are far more healthy since switching over.
I did LST and topping over the last few days. I have 8 ft ceiling but with the pot and the lights they probably only have about 7 ft. Max

Topping has its benefits if you have height limits, or are working with a lower powered light fixture. Beyond that, there is no good reason to do it. Letting the plant grow in its natural state is best if your environment can handle it. My plants grow much larger, much faster, and are far more healthy since switching over.

You’ll be fine though.. just will need extra recovery time
I agree. Growing from seed I top and train in case I want to motherplant it. From clone I let them grow naturally.

I did LST and topping over the last few days. I have 8 ft ceiling but with the pot and the lights they probably only have about 7 ft. Max

if you’re trying to get more than one plant per one square meter then topping also works well. At the end of the day it’s really what works best for you. If you can get away without topping then give it a shot.

I agree. Growing from seed I top and train in case I want to motherplant it. From clone I let them grow naturally.

Exactly.. somewhere along the way topping got contorted into being a way to yield more when in reality it’s just about controlling the plant for your space so you have better light coverage. The topping itself doesn’t increase yields, it’s the increase in light that does it.

if you’re trying to get more than one plant per one square meter then topping also works well. At the end of the day it’s really what works best for you. If you can get away without topping then give it a shot.
I also topped because I was under the impression I would have more cola's at a similar height and was thinking about an even canopy. I have extra time because I don't plan on flipping until the end of March right after I take some clones.

I also topped because I was under the impression I would have more cola's at a similar height and was thinking about an even canopy. I have extra time because I don't plan on flipping until the end of March right after I take some clones.
John, @Keffka has a journal going right now, the link is in his signature, and he is going to do some supercropping for us to see in the next week or two.

I don't know if you have done supercropping before or not, but if you haven't found his journal yet you should, and come watch.

If you grow organically he has lots of good info in there.

20230224_175951.jpg

Well look at that! 13 days of 12/12 light and then to 18/6, and on day 25 we have a girl!

Best part... Its the giant seedling.

I picked the wrong days to leave apparently as the pistils are at least a couple days old now.

Hopefully @Azimuth can catch an exact day.

I'm going to say yesterday, so day 24, but I think it was likely earlier that the pistils popped.

Either way, it works👍

20230224_180543.jpg

20230224_180554.jpg

1 of the 6 swicky soil clones has rooted at Day 21, but the other 5 haven't yet. The soil is still too wet but....

20230224_173522.jpg

The bubble clone I dropped into the 10gal 12 days ago is growing like mad! None, as in zero, hardening off time, no leaf stress, quite simply my best clone uppot ever... and trust me when I say I have cut a few clones or a thousand or 2. This is the way👍Bubblecloner to a swick/sip 10gal. F#@k Yeah! I wanted a clone cut straight into a 10gal, so I will have to keep pondering that one, but I tell you folks, this is impressive and I don't impress easily, not to this degree. Its 13" tall. It was 7.5" when I planted it.

20230224_173537.jpg

And then these 2. They transplanted and went wilty for the 1st few hours.

Now at day 5 in soil they are already growing and again...zero leaf stress.

Too bad I put them in 1.66gals but if they root quick I'm going to flower them in those pots just to see.

20230224_181446.jpg

Not only have the 2 new clones grown but they are maturing too. Again...Wow! I hate bubble cloning but maybe I don't now😊.

I think making large mother plants and cutting large clones into the bubble cloner and into final sized swicky/sippy is the way to go. They show a bit of nitro toxicity but its corrected itself already so the soil's calcium has mag under control.

What a great start.

I think I will keep the big swicky 10gal plant as a mother plant and let it get really big tops to see how big we can go with clones.

20230224_173532.jpg

No sex showing on The Mutant yet but it's growing very well.

If its a girl I will cut a clone to preserve the mutation, or at least try, and then flower it out in another 4 weeks as an untopped bush just to see what/how it shapes itself naturally. Hopefully when the nodes start to stagger it stays a tripod.

UPDATE: I went back to the tent to double check the 12/12 gang a little closer and I'm pretty sure I see a 2nd Gal.

Tomorrow will be able to tell for sure.

Just in time too.

25 days in solos with ewc and fish ferts is pushing it. 1 is starting to cannibalize its bottom leaves so tomorrow I will fish fert them again. The mutant, which is a member of the 12/12 gang, is twice the size of the ones still in solos.

Well look at that! 13 days of 12/12 light and then to 18/6, and on day 25 we have a girl!

I picked the wrong days to leave apparently as the pistils are at least a couple days old now.

I'm going to say yesterday, so day 24, but I think it was likely earlier that the pistils popped.

Either way, it works👍
Gee, this went a bit over my head but I think that what you have just proven, is that you can send a photoperiod plant into early transition to check sex, and then allow the plant to continue to veg until flip? Is that correct?

I think making large mother plants and cutting large clones into the bubble cloner and into final sized swicky/sippy is the way to go. They show a bit of nitro toxicity but its corrected itself already so the soil's calcium has mag under control.
I have had success rooting cuttings in soil on ordinary wick, without any swick. I will experiment some more when I am able to grow photoperiod plants again. Very exiting, I love your "lab" :)

Apparently yes👍❤️😊
:high-five::yahoo: This is going to revolutionize the potential for me to flower out some regs in a photoperiod grow. Awesomeness! Please will you give me the idiots guide I.e. a step by step instruction to follow?

I have had success rooting cuttings in soil on ordinary wick, without any swick. I will experiment some more when I am able to grow photoperiod plants again. Very exiting, I love your "lab" :)
Lol my wife calls it the Torture Chamber🤣🤣🤣
:high-five::yahoo: This is going to revolutionize the potential for me to flower out some regs in a photoperiod grow. Awesomeness! Please will you give me the idiots guide I.e. a step by step instruction to follow?
Certainly, of all the South Africans you are my favorite! My lab is your lab🤣🤣

Either way, it works👍
Awesome! My seedling just finished day 10 under 12/12 yesterday so it will get moved back to veg at lights on today. Hopefully I'll get a similar result. Also, it will be interesting if male parts show early as well. I've noticed many of my males haven't shown anything obvious while still in veg.

1 of the 6 swicky soil clones has rooted at Day 21, but the other 5 haven't yet. The soil is still too wet but....
Sounds like a similar experience to my try in SIPs.

The bubble clone I dropped into the 10gal 12 days ago is growing like mad! None, as in zero, hardening off time, no leaf stress, quite simply my best clone uppot ever... and trust me when I say I have cut a few clones or a thousand or 2. This is the way👍Bubblecloner to a swick/sip 10gal. F#@k Yeah! I wanted a clone cut straight into a 10gal, so I will have to keep pondering that one, but I tell you folks, this is impressive and I don't impress easily, not to this degree. Its 13" tall. It was 7.5" when I planted it.
I'm just trying to dial in my bubble mist cloner now, but I've speculated that that might just be the ideal match since plants are supposed to root readily in those things but then you have water roots that have to transition back to soil roots taking time. BUT, if you couple a bubble cloner with a wetter soil environment like in your swicks, that should make for a pretty good match as you've just proved!

Again...Wow! I hate bubble cloning but maybe I don't now😊.
Why you no like?

Why you no like?
Its boring as you just cut and forget, and when its done you need to clean and sterilize everything.

When I clone into cups the strain, date, etc gets written on the cup but in a cloner you need to remember which cuts are what strains.

Also I don't do it in a tent as the lights are to strong so I have to set up in a closet and hang an 18" sunblaster T5 then take it all back down again.

I find it doesn't have a great success rate unless you are cutting clones with thick stalks, but if this is a regular occurrence I'm willing to quit whining about bubble cloning🤣.

I guess I need to grow my mother plants bigger.

Back
Top Bottom