Thank you Hash Hound!

Way kewl, that’s a great idea!!! Any ideas on killing water born critters?

sorry cant help you there other than maybe floating some mosquito dunks in there

another option for draining the res is instead of a shutoff valve use an elbow with a riser that doubles a water level indicator like what I use in a hempy hybrid

I add spoon of mosquito bits to the res at least every week, I’ll hit her even harder with bits going forward but wanna figure out how to nuke ‘em properly.

Wow- thats awesome, I can see the benefits! We have copper & pex plumbing stuff but don’t think I have anything to seal bucket. I’d feel better with a threaded fitting & grommet as opposed to just caulked in place. Hmm seen an infomercial but never tried it… wonder if lowes or home dePot carry flex seal?

what kind of fitting is that HH?

I add spoon of mosquito bits to the res at least every week.

Wow- thats awesome, I can see the benefits! We have copper & pex plumbing stuff but don’t think I have anything good to seal bucket. I’d feel better with a threaded fitting & grommet as opposed to just caulked in place. Hmm seen infomercial but never tried it… wonder if lowes or home dePot carry flex seal?

what kind of fitting is that HH?

that's a 1/2 in push in elbow with male end I had from old garden drip irrigation, the clear riser fits right inside.
I've used regular elbows with clear tubing also.
I don't get any leaks with the grommet. I think it's similar to what's on the store bought dwc buckets

no way, mine would prolly leak like a sieve!! gotta go shopping!

She’s just 2 weeks in flower so I won’t implement on this bucket til after she’s done but was planning on building more SIP buckets real soon anyway.

I’m taking the high road.… there’s LoJack and then there’s HiJack… thanks to you my new buckets will be fully compliant!

that's a 1/2 in push in elbow with male end I had from old garden drip irrigation, the clear riser fits right inside.
I've used regular elbows with clear tubing also.
I don't get any leaks with the grommet. I think it's similar to what's on the store bought dwc buckets

That's a great idea. It reminds me of the bottling bucket spigot on a home brew kit I have (before I started kegging).

Search Amazon for "bucket spigot". They're about $3 each (3 pack for $9). They come with grommets to seal well.

unknown critters in the res, what’s up with that??
Probably best to try to identify the little critters. I get springtails in my soil and reservoir. They help break down organic material but are harmless to the plants and dry roots.

You may be chasing an issue that doesn't need to be chased.

What would make a good enough connection through to the cloth pot?
When I did build one with a cloth pot (geopot 10gal square) using 4 inch perf pipe I laid down a layer of vermiculite (holds a lot of moisture) under the pot atop the SIP lid. With holes drilled around the wick foot on the SIP lid you might want to lay down some sort of cloth to prevent the vermiculite from falling through those O2 holes, but this thin layer helps the moisture spread evenly along the bottom even though it is not directly connected to the wick foot/reservoir. I hope I’ve explained that clearly enough. If not lemme know and I’ll try to illustrate.

The other consideration is to assure that the material in the wicking foot is extremely well packed. The issue is that lightly packed material will settle over time and you run the risk of it losing contact with the pot due to this settling. Go back a page and look at the soil/root ball shown by @farside05 and down where the wicking portion begins you can see that the material is starting to pull away from the above soil. In this case it may just be from the unique conditions of being removed from the bucket, however it does still illustrate the problem quite well. Pack those wicks tight!

Anyway, I thought I’d raise a few seedlings in the two different DIY mini SIPs I’ve described on here and share the process on this thread.

In my experience these are ideal methods; specifically, they’ll help you avoid the growth stall-out that usually takes place with SIP transplants coming from traditional containers.

So anyway, here’s a couple of of the pop bottle builds, I’ll do a couple nursery baggie SIPs in another post. One is made from a 2 litre bottle, the other a 1 litre bottle. Here’s the illustration I shared earlier that these are copies of.
15A1688C-4BC2-4F41-A532-C07DE0CACD36.png

These are hard to photograph… there will be more and hopefully I’ll get better at it. They are close copies of the illustration other than the wick material, which I omitted and the system works fine without it. These little guys have air gaps, holes in the planter floor to access this air and overflow holes that I made big enough to also use as fill ports. All of the moisture that enters the planter comes up through the normal drinking hole via capillary action.

I ‘ve got some Cherry Blossom 🌸 seeds (non-CBD) germing in these at the moment, planted in a mix of 30% peat, 30% my custom 420 worm castings, 40% perlite. We’ll be germing some proper Sativa seeds for the next seedling SIPs (baggies) in a day or so.
1FE95869-C748-4BF6-9C30-7C13FAD615D0.jpeg

3D19A6ED-1606-456B-9181-306D1630F2F6.jpeg

Anyway

tilted my 5 gallon SIP to dump as much res water as possible last nite, so while res was very low hit her with 5 ml each BTk and Spinosad then pushed that by spraying water down fill tube, followed by 6 ml of Neem Oil followed by more spray water. Defs recognize I might be killing beneficials bugs but can not let this grow get derailed.

cool thing is after dumping res last nite my dipstick came up bone dry this morning. I hit her with mosquito bit laced 1/2 gallon water and could smell Neem oil from res like perfume. Gonna run her on dry side for day or two then I will flood and collect an overflow water sample to see if critters / larvae are present.

this would have been much easier with a bottom drain rig like Hash Hound suggested!

When I did build one with a cloth pot (geopot 10gal square) using 4 inch perf pipe I laid down a layer of vermiculite (holds a lot of moisture) under the pot atop the SIP lid. With holes drilled around the wick foot on the SIP lid you might want to lay down some sort of cloth to prevent the vermiculite from falling through those O2 holes, but this thin layer helps the moisture spread evenly along the bottom even though it is not directly connected to the wick foot/reservoir. I hope I’ve explained that clearly enough. If not lemme know and I’ll try to illustrate.

The other consideration is to assure that the material in the wicking foot is extremely well packed. The issue is that lightly packed material will settle over time and you run the risk of it losing contact with the pot due to this settling. Go back a page and look at the soil/root ball shown by @farside05 and down where the wicking portion begins you can see that the material is starting to pull away from the above soil. In this case it may just be from the unique conditions of being removed from the bucket, however it does still illustrate the problem quite well. Pack those wicks tight!

Anyway, I thought I’d raise a few seedlings in the two different DIY mini SIPs I’ve described on here and share the process on this thread.

In my experience these are ideal methods; specifically, they’ll help you avoid the growth stall-out that usually takes place with SIP transplants coming from traditional containers.

So anyway, here’s a couple of of the pop bottle builds, I’ll do a couple nursery baggie SIPs in another post. One is made from a 2 litre bottle, the other a 1 litre bottle. Here’s the illustration I shared earlier that these are copies of.
15A1688C-4BC2-4F41-A532-C07DE0CACD36.png

These are hard to photograph… there will be more and hopefully I’ll get better at it. They are close copies of the illustration other than the wick material, which I omitted and the system works fine without it. These little guys have air gaps, holes in the planter floor to access this air and overflow holes that I made big enough to also use as fill ports. All of the moisture that enters the planter comes up through the normal drinking hole via capillary action.

I ‘ve got some Cherry Blossom 🌸 seeds (non-CBD) germing in these at the moment, planted in a mix of 30% peat, 30% my custom 420 worm castings, 40% perlite. We’ll be germing some proper Sativa seeds for the next seedling SIPs (baggies) in a day or so.
1FE95869-C748-4BF6-9C30-7C13FAD615D0.jpeg

3D19A6ED-1606-456B-9181-306D1630F2F6.jpeg

Anyway
Simple and cheap like me. Nice idea!

Looking for help making THC vape juice from buds, and people experienced using terpenes as flavour agents.....

Hey everybody... sorry to post off-topic, I won't keep posting on this, but I'm going to be making e-juice with buds and I'm looking for good reference material and want to talk about purchased terpenes and other flavour options with people who have some experience with them. I thought this might catch someone's attention here. We can take the conversation to whatever thread you see in my signature that says "current".

I don't have a press so I won't be making from fresh rosin, instead, I'll more likely be soaking buds in Vg/PG.... possibly using my 8-litre pressure cooker that I've hacked to make custom programmable. I want to know what all my options are and what final product will be like from some experienced growers/creators.

I quit smoking cigarettes years and years ago but still vape nic from time to time and enjoy it immensely. The amount of healing that's taken place in my lungs since quitting smoking has been amazing and I'm unwilling to compromise any of it by picking up a new combustion-based smoking habit with weed.

In the last 15+ yrs I've consumed weed no more than 10 times, call it a decent tolerance break after my 20s, when I was growing (and smoking) pretty decent volume. Now that I'm growing again, this time indoors and not expedition-style on mountain tops, I obviously want to consume the precious herb once more.

As I said, combustion isn't working for me and I want to develop a THC-packed e-juice using my homegrown buds. By the looks of things, this practice appears to significantly increase the number of times you can get blasted per gram of flower used compared to smoking and is an efficient method for getting fucked up. I believe that the flavour however does not transfer to the 'juice', and either terpenes or other flavours are necessary for a taste experience.

So, if anyone out there has experience making THC e-juice, or with the use of purchased terpenes, I'd really appreciate a head's up. Maybe you only have a good info source on this, I'd still love to hear about it. I'll be sure to keep my 420 peeps informed throughout my development period, as per usual, and report on my ultimate success or failure.

Looking for help making THC vape juice from buds, and people experienced using terpenes as flavour agents.....
He's not around these days but @BakedARea created a thread on that a while back. Might be worth a read:

Happy Saturday afternoon!...
I guess this is as good a place as any to post a few pics of my diy SIP's- kinda late in the thread for this, but I just made them a couple weeks ago-and already they're working very well..

I started with 2- 14.2 liter mop buckets for the first SIP- , a piece of tubing from a dollar store super soaker, and a Trader Joes Tzatziki Dip container..
I chose these because they're short and wide, since my growspace has limited headroom(48")
SIP 1.jpg

Drilled the bottom of the top bucket full of holes, and hot glued the tubing and dip container into place
SIP 2.JPG

All the bottom bucket got was an overflow tube installed in a spot that will give apx .75 inch of airspace
between soil and water when the res is full
SIP 3.JPG

Here's a look at the bottom of the top bucket- lotsa holes:
SIP 4.jpg

Here's the finished product:
SIP 5.jpg

In the box, ready to fill with Promix: (yes, that's a piece of pantyhose in the dip container:) )..this one cost me $20.00.
SIP-6.jpg

I ended up with 2 plants, so I needed another SIP for the auto -looked around the garage and found a dollar store strainer, and a dollar store 3.25 gallon bucket- this one will be different than the other SIP- I guess you could call it the air chamber type?
AHa sip-1.jpg

I cut the strainer down to fit upside down in the bottom of the bucket..
AHa sip-2.jpg

Installed the overflow tube so there will be apx. an inch of airspace between soil and water when the res is full (apx. .75 gal.)
Then the fill tube was installed- and everything was lightly hot glued in place..and that's it....( total cost- $2.16)
AHa sip-3.jpg

That's all the pics I got of that one, but here they both are today- Alaskan Thunderfuck on the left, Amnesia Haze auto on the right- the auto just went into the SIP 24 hours ago, and she's already made herself at home...she's going to end up outside when I run out of room in there..
Both plants are using Grow Dots for nutes- the Grow Dots folks say they will work fine in a SIP- we'll see...
2 SIPs 1-28-23.jpg

So there ya go- nothin fancy, but they're both working great so far!

Thanks, @Azimuth, for starting this thread, and making a SIP believer out of me... ❤️

Highya Carcass, Azimuth, guys,

Love the simplicity of the design. I'd like to see how she turns out! I'm guessing you wouldn't mind posting a pic here and there through her grow. Very good job! Yes, and she took to the system really well! Did you germinate her in a SIP cup? Happy Smokin'

Ha! Thank You, Shed!... Actually, that's a knee-high..I keep a box of them in the garage- I use them for lint filters on the washing machine drain hose-keeps the lint from plugging up the"iffy" pipes...
Well done Carcass, they look great!
Thanks, Stunger! That AHa took to it like a duck to water.. less than 24 hours after transplant, she was praying to the light..

I'm guessing you wouldn't mind posting a pic here and there through her grow.
Thanks, Bode -I'll do that!
Did you germinate her in a SIP cup? Happy Smokin'
I did! all her drinking (except the first one) was accomplished through 2 pieces of kite string- it was a little solo cup-in-a- solo cup type SIP...she had a substantial bunch o' roots out the bottom- had to cut the bottom off the cup to get her out...I'll tape that bottom back on, so it comes off easier next time..:idea:
Got Roots..jpg

Happy Saturday afternoon!...
I guess this is as good a place as any to post a few pics of my diy SIP's- kinda late in the thread for this, but I just made them a couple weeks ago-and already they're working very well..
Thanks for posting that up, @Carcass ! :love:

And it's never too late for a new SIP build. Especially one as well built and documented as yours. Well done. :thumb:

So there ya go- nothin fancy, but they're both working great so far!

Thanks, @Azimuth, for starting this thread, and making a SIP believer out of me... ❤️
Looking forward to your observations as you go through your first SIP grow. They are kind of fun to grow with.

By the looks of things, this practice appears to significantly increase the number of times you can get blasted per gram of flower used compared to smoking and is an efficient method for getting fucked up.
Preach!

Back
Top Bottom