I posted earlier in this thread but I'll add another shot of my girls on their 9th day in SIP containers. They're in TLO soil under 2 Mars Hydro FC3000s. They were a little sluggish at first, but they've started to perk up. I'm expecting to flip them in a couple weeks. The strain is Power Plant ...
IMG-2738.jpg
9th Day!!!

Where were they before?! Look mega.

(Lovely clean setup you have there too!)

9th Day!!!

Where were they before?! Look mega.

(Lovely clean setup you have there too!)
Thanks! I have pics in my journal if you want to have a look. The link is in my signature.

I love to experiment-- the seed was started in a peat pellet and then moved to a nursery bag with about 1/8 gallon of peat-based potting mix with some OC+.... A few days ago I moved the bag into a SIP with 100% biochar charged with JLF for a few weeks, now with JLF in the res.... No idea how this goes, but that's kind of the point

IMG_20230108_120207.jpg
Roots hit the res, plant still looks happy
IMG_20230111_140538.jpg

Roots from a GroBucket SIP. They stop near the top of the inner dome. There's soil around the outside that they could easily continue down further. They seem to not go any lower because it's just too wet in the wicking area.

:thumb:

Those are going to be pretty big plants in 'a couple weeks.'
My ceiling is 8' 8". The girls are 16" above the soil & 28" above the floor. I've been told they can triple in size during stretch, so assuming that happens, they'll be 48" tall & 60" from the floor. The light hanging hardware would leave the business end of my lights 13" below the ceiling leaving me right at 30" from the canopy. I'm baked as usual, so my arithmetic could be off. I read a journal, or part of one where someone using the same lights I'm using kept them 30" above the canopy at 100%. I know a couple of you following this journal have a good grasp on lighting. I don't feel comfortable naming names, but their initials are @InTheShed & @StoneOtter . What do y'all think about the @Mars Hydro FC3000 30" above the canopy at 100% throughout the grow?

I know a couple of you following this journal have a good grasp on lighting. I don't feel comfortable naming names, but their initials are @InTheShed & @StoneOtter .
LOL!
What do y'all think about the @Mars Hydro FC3000 30" above the canopy at 100% throughout the grow?
I usually grow almost entirely outside, but since my winter grow has been indoors (because of the CA weather) I can offer these pieces of advice:
-Keep lowering the light 2"/day and watch the top of the canopy for any signs of light stress (bleaching, curled edges). As soon as you see it back the light up 2" again. Keep it that distance as the plant grows while still checking the upper leaves.

Additionally, you could:
-Get a lux meter or download the Photone app, calibrate it, and see what numbers you have across the top. There are a number of websites that recommend lux numbers for different stages, but no matter what you'll still be reading the leaves.

LOL!

I usually grow almost entirely outside, but since my winter grow has been indoors (because of the CA weather) I can offer these pieces of advice:
-Keep lowering the light 2"/day and watch the top of the canopy for any signs of light stress (bleaching, curled edges). As soon as you see it back the light up 2" again. Keep it that distance as the plant grows while still checking the upper leaves.

Additionally, you could:
-Get a lux meter or download the Photone app, calibrate it, and see what numbers you have across the top. There are a number of websites that recommend lux numbers for different stages, but no matter what you'll still be reading the leaves.
Right now they're28" above the canopy & my eye may have spied a little but of curling this afternoon. If they're still curling tomorrow but no worse, should I raise them a couple inches? Exactly how many clicks of the yo-yo would that be?

My ceiling is 8' 8". The girls are 16" above the soil & 28" above the floor. I've been told they can triple in size during stretch, so assuming that happens, they'll be 48" tall & 60" from the floor. The light hanging hardware would leave the business end of my lights 13" below the ceiling leaving me right at 30" from the canopy. I'm baked as usual, so my arithmetic could be off. I read a journal, or part of one where someone using the same lights I'm using kept them 30" above the canopy at 100%. I know a couple of you following this journal have a good grasp on lighting. I don't feel comfortable naming names, but their initials are @InTheShed & @StoneOtter . What do y'all think about the @Mars Hydro FC3000 30" above the canopy at 100% throughout the grow?
What does @Mars Hydro think about the FC3000s 30" above the canopy at 100%?

Right now they're28" above the canopy & my eye may have spied a little but of curling this afternoon. If they're still curling tomorrow but no worse, should I raise them a couple inches? Exactly how many clicks of the yo-yo would that be?

Not knowing what type of hanger you have it'd be really tough to tell you how many clicks it needs to be. @InTheShed mentioned if you see curling to raise it 2", so here's what I do:

Grab the rope that you need to pull, but grab it as close to the plastic housing with the gear as you can. Start pulling down and note the distance your thumb and finger are from the plastic housing. Eyeball it, it doesn't need to be exact, and just pull down until there's 2" between where you grabbed it and started pulling and the plastic housing. Repeat for all 4 corners and just check for general level, and you're done!

Easy peasy.

My ceiling is 8' 8". The girls are 16" above the soil & 28" above the floor. I've been told they can triple in size during stretch, so assuming that happens, they'll be 48" tall & 60" from the floor. The light hanging hardware would leave the business end of my lights 13" below the ceiling leaving me right at 30" from the canopy. I'm baked as usual, so my arithmetic could be off. I read a journal, or part of one where someone using the same lights I'm using kept them 30" above the canopy at 100%.
But that's now, right? They will accelerate in growth over that period, so rather than time, maybe work backwards and flip when they reach a certain height. Which I'd bet will be well less than two more weeks unless you plan to train them so they stay lower.

Day 22, I feel she's already so much bigger than yesterday.. I've just measured a finger 10.4 mm so I'll know tomorrow how much she moves over a day and night cycle.
I could measure the internodes but the upward movement is very slow as she doesn't need to reach for light, just deploying big solar panels.
Azi what do your plants feel like? as this one does feel a lot like DWC, they are a bit wet noodly.. too much juice. If you bend it has less bounce back.
IMG_0851.JPG

Not knowing what type of hanger you have it'd be really tough to tell you how many clicks it needs to be. @InTheShed mentioned if you see curling to raise it 2", so here's what I do:

Grab the rope that you need to pull, but grab it as close to the plastic housing with the gear as you can. Start pulling down and note the distance your thumb and finger are from the plastic housing. Eyeball it, it doesn't need to be exact, and just pull down until there's 2" between where you grabbed it and started pulling and the plastic housing. Repeat for all 4 corners and just check for general level, and you're done!

Easy peasy.
Thanks man, but I was just being a smart ass…

Hey Rob, those plants seem mature and should handle that. 300 watts is powerful so keep your eye on them for cupping and burning. A meter and chart takes the guessing out of it. I downloaded an app called Photone, it's free, and for 5.00 unlocked the full spectrum led section and it is close enough to my PAR meter that is on the fritz now.

But that's now, right? They will accelerate in growth over that period, so rather than time, maybe work backwards and flip when they reach a certain height. Which I'd bet will be well less than two more weeks unless you plan to train them so they stay lower.
Yeah, I’m told they can triple in height during stretch so I’m just making sure I have room overhead. Approximately 30” is what I’ll have to work with…

Back
Top Bottom