wanted to comment on this ^ while it’s not a SIP or SWICK its 1 exception worth mentioning

420 member @DeeBoy is killing it with autos in smart pots of coco using Geoflora organic mixed into the media.

Since the GF nutes are embedded in the coco he’s just doing plain water PH‘ed to 5.8
I mix Geoflora into the coco.
Helps with microbial life too.
Great stuff.

#Vivosun #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

Coco is hydrophobic strangely enough.
If it dries at all it will repell water giving you a head ache .
It must stay wet with nutrients at all times.
5.8 ph nutrients at full strength usually is what I feed.
With calmag.
I feed every day.

#Vivosun #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:
Close to what has given me decent results. 6.5 in 5.8 out. Water every day until minimal run off from flower. More cautious in veg.

No organics and I’m coco peat rather than the lumpier coir.

I went over full strength but was plus Co2 and bundles of light and warmth so that was more “aggressive” nute levels deliberately.

I’m higher in for my SIP. Its the Dutch Pro root boost (everything has been same brand nutes apart from the Cal Mag) Honestly I’m having “I ❤️ Cal Mag” T- Shirts made. I bought another brand for that. Local and cheaper but think its just commodity.

I’m not sure ai want the root boost Ph boost but then I saw 4 day old root balls in a normal grow. I think I might take out for next time in the SIP.

I had Ph down delivered today though.

Anyone got an opinion?

My SIP is totally experimental.

Option A - remove the Root Boost and PH down to 6.2 in.

Option B - keep the root boost and add ph down.

I would like for the SIP to ideally get sub 6 in. 5.8. That’s just preference based on other chats.

Anyone got an opinion? Totally open to ideas.

Nick

wanted to comment on this ^ while it’s not a SIP or SWICK its 1 exception worth mentioning

420 member @DeeBoy is killing it with autos in smart pots of coco using Geoflora organic mixed into the media.

Since the GF nutes are embedded in the coco he’s just doing plain water PH‘ed to 5.8
That’s what I used to be doing. Now I’m using Grow Dots and Recharge along with supplements. I keep changing stuff…

Perhaps layering with perlite works ok on the smaller SIPs, but it’s specifically discouraged in the planting instructions for the Octopots. I would imagine that a layer of perlite could prevent the capillary action of the soil mixture from working properly. Just an observation.

5E9702CE-1385-4913-9E10-9BA4401997A9.jpeg
My guess is in a plastic pot it will have no problem wicking.. I mean perlite will wick as It can be used as a wicking method.. it's just with the added ventilation of a fabric pot things might indeed turn out different.

My guess is in a plastic pot it will have no problem wicking.. I mean perlite will wick as It can be used as a wicking method.. it's just with the added ventilation of a fabric pot things might indeed turn out different.
I have added covers to my cloth containers so that the tops dont dry out as bad, and a mulch layer would probably help just as well, but I am still getting plenty of wicking up into my 7 gallon cloth grow bags. SweetSue used to set her grow bags down onto a pile of perlite, sitting in a basin of water and it worked fine.

Hi guys. Sorry I been a no show for a while. I got some busted ribs, wrist and other injuries during a mugging/assault about a month or so ago. I’m struggling at best of times these days - and that’s without getting beat up by two f#%£ zipheads. I have some disabilities that have made career/work impossible and I finally had to apply for disability - like a year-plus ago, and still no support. Anyway, this assault incident really set off some emotional psychological stuff with me and I was just not feeling like I had a whole lot of positivity to share on here with you all. Problem is it just got harder everyday to come back and that’s what lengthened my absence. Sorta f’d up I know, but I love this place, so here I am. Just don’t make me laugh, it hurts like a MF!

Hi guys. Sorry I been a no show for a while. I got some busted ribs, wrist and other injuries during a mugging/assault about a month or so ago. I’m struggling at best of times these days - and that’s without getting beat up by two f#%£ zipheads. I have some disabilities that have made career/work impossible and I finally had to apply for disability - like a year-plus ago, and still no support. Anyway, this assault incident really set off some emotional psychological stuff with me and I was just not feeling like I had a whole lot of positivity to share on here with you all. Problem is it just got harder everyday to come back and that’s what lengthened my absence. Sorta f’d up I know, but I love this place, so here I am. Just don’t make me laugh, it hurts like a MF!
:thumb::welcome:😬
Welcome back and so sorry to hear about your misfortune! The world is a dangerous place right now, please be careful.

One of the basics of fluid engineering is that capillary action has difficulties moving between two otherwise good capillary mediums if clean layer of each is involved. It creates a structural barrier and will at very least slow the 🧢 action, but can stop it outright.

Welcome back RDog. We've missed your input these past many weeks. Hope you heal up quickly, both physically and emotionally.

If you haven't kept up, you've got a bit of reading to do. We're still moving pretty fast. :laughtwo:

Aww man that sucks! Was just thinking yesterday I’d not seen you around in forever when I was catching up on this thread.

Straight back into it with wisdom on capillary action!

Don’t read my thread I’m too funny it will hurt ya from laughing or bore you to death. Either way no good will come of it 🤣

Glad you’re on the mend.

Nick

I love to experiment-- the seed was started in a peat pellet and then moved to a nursery bag with about 1/8 gallon of peat-based potting mix with some OC+.... A few days ago I moved the bag into a SIP with 100% biochar charged with JLF for a few weeks, now with JLF in the res.... No idea how this goes, but that's kind of the point

IMG_20230108_120207.jpg

Welcome back. Some people just ain't right. Wishing you comfort, healing and :peacetwo:

One of the basics of fluid engineering is that capillary action has difficulties moving between two otherwise good capillary mediums if clean layer of each is involved. It creates a structural barrier and will at very least slow the 🧢 action, but can stop it outright.
mmm, okay I can see that some cancelling out, however in a closed tube that has a water tank on the bottom and airs out on the other side, I don't see it, this wicked through several layers of clean perlite from soil that wicks from the main bottom layer of hydroton.. However with a fabric pot, and layers of perlite I was also thinking about a slowdown in the process, and not as even spread as the system can damp off to the sides, and the bottom layers would be wettest quickly and always a bit less in the layer above.
But then I'm also thinking once roots have grown through the layers does it really matter?

Been out all morning and came home and checked on my SIP outdoors.

Still a bit worried about the soil touch being to wet but pretty happy with her. The low yellowing is from a previous overwatering also my Watering Manager didn’t realise at a week she shouldn’t be getting same nute levels as the clones I have elsewhere. She was always a beast from Day One. The other two died. She thrived. Topping her probably either this evening or tomorrow morning all being well. Nice lean into the sun for me.

Still feels a bit wet for me up top but the next 4 hours are peak sunlight where she is.

The Gorilla Glue in a 15G Airpot just out of shot that is a bit older is loving it out there too.

I love to experiment-- the seed was started in a peat pellet and then moved to a nursery bag with about 1/8 gallon of peat-based potting mix with some OC+.... A few days ago I moved the bag into a SIP with 100% biochar charged with JLF for a few weeks, now with JLF in the res.... No idea how this goes, but that's kind of the point
Wow, 100% biochar. :popcorn:

Been out all morning and came home and checked on my SIP outdoors.
Looks like they are lovin' lifecso far. :thumb:

Got me threads up and running but well it's pretty much what's I've posted here so far.
Thanks for the link, Fender. We'll have to check it out.

I posted earlier in this thread but I'll add another shot of my girls on their 9th day in SIP containers. They're in TLO soil under 2 Mars Hydro FC3000s. They were a little sluggish at first, but they've started to perk up. I'm expecting to flip them in a couple weeks. The strain is Power Plant ...
IMG-2738.jpg

Back
Top Bottom