Howdy SIPpers,

Has anyone found a 10 gal food grade HDPE drum for a decent price? I see one on Bezos for $50. The food grade HDPE buckets look too tall for SIP, and I'm not inclined to go the tote route.

Outdoor greenhouse grow in Hawaii. Wheelbarrow transfer from veg house to flower house.

1000005058.jpg
Very nice and the plant looks crazy healthy! How many gallons is the bin? I don't know if that's a Rubbermaid or another brand, but I just discovered a 14 gal. bin that looks like that one, made by Good Natured out of #2 HDPE bioplastic, BPA free. $40 on Amazon, or 4 for $110 ($27). (It would make a killer worm bin as well!)

I dunno, but maybe I'm converting my grow to SIP faster than I thought!

Good Natured data sheet:
https://goodnaturedproducts.com/6d46bccb-dc3d-43f7-91e1-adecc080782b

Very nice and the plant looks crazy healthy! How many gallons is the bin? I don't know if that's a Rubbermaid or another brand, but I just discovered a 14 gal. bin that looks like that one, made by Good Natured out of #2 HDPE bioplastic, BPA free. $40 on Amazon, or 4 for $110 ($27). (It would make a killer worm bin as well!)

I dunno, but maybe I'm converting my grow to SIP faster than I thought!

Good Natured data sheet:
https://goodnaturedproducts.com/6d46bccb-dc3d-43f7-91e1-adecc080782b
Those are bins for a municipal recycling program. We use them here in Ontario.

I'm looking for some input on converting my Hawaii outdoor grow to SIPs.
Do it!

:laughtwo:

My advice is to not fill the reservoir at the beginning until they "catch", which is obvious with a sudden increase in growth. The plants need to develop different roots from those used in a wet/dry grow and that typically takes a couple of weeks which I like to get over with early in veg.

Starting the cuttings or seedlings in small SIPs can ease the transition at up pot. On page two of this thread I have a design post where I shared how I build mine, including my 9 oz starter pots.

OK. thanks for your input on my thread, too!

So, I'm looking at one 5 gal SIP to test this out. If it works out, I'll be doing all my plants-to-be-flowered in SIPs.

Two things headed me in this direction—one was seeing @CBDMed 's results, and two my desire to grow in HDPE food grade plastic instead of #5 plastic or semi-unknown black plastic 10 gal.

At first I was worried about pot size for the SIP, but it appears I will easily be able to get an 8 oz yield in a 5 gal. bucket, which should match my max capacity for my new bud dryer that I'm building.

When I think of growing in a 5 gal SIP, with 4 gal of my super soil mix, I sort of cringe because I just recently arrived at 10 gal as my optimum pot size for plant health and a good harvest.

I take it that the water and nutes that wind up in the res are the key—the plant always has enough of both. If I'm fertigating in mid-to-late veg now, in 10 gal pots, when do you think I'll need to start fertigating in the 5 gal SIP?

My advice is to not fill the reservoir at the beginning until they "catch", which is obvious with a sudden increase in growth. The plants need to develop different roots from those used in a wet/dry grow and that typically takes a couple of weeks which I like to get over with early in veg.
I would do what CbdMed does, which is water just in a radius around the seedling, until they reach the rim as he says, and then he starts filling the res. (I think that's what he said.)

Starting the cuttings or seedlings in small SIPs can ease the transition at up pot. On page two of this thread I have a design post where I shared how I build mine, including my 9 oz starter pots.
You sorta lost me there. At first I will be using clones, and they root up in 4" circular pots in a coir-and-perlite mix w/ light nutes. I leave them in the dome until the roots are coming out the bottom of the pot. I would think they'd be fine to plant directly in the SIP, no?

:thanks:

I would do what CbdMed does, which is water just in a radius around the seedling, until they reach the rim as he says, and then he starts filling the res. (I think that's what he said.)
Yes.
You sorta lost me there. At first I will be using clones, and they root up in 4" circular pots in a coir-and-perlite mix w/ light nutes. I leave them in the dome until the roots are coming out the bottom of the pot. I would think they'd be fine to plant directly in the SIP, no?

Sorry, I also do not get it. I specifically fill the res to aid the plant in developing "res-roots". If that is wrong, it would be good to know. Thanks.
🙏

I take it that the water and nutes that wind up in the res are the key—the plant always has enough of both. If I'm fertigating in mid-to-late veg now, in 10 gal pots, when do you think I'll need to start fertigating in the 5 gal SIP?
Earlier since your plants will be larger and more aggressive so will go through more inputs earlier.

Converting the roots of a normal potted plant over to SIP roots usually takes 10-15 days and I like to get that over with early so I start the clones/seedlings in a 9oz SIP for those early days. The smaller soil mass can help them develop faster than if they were swimming in a 5 gallon pot.

I've started directly in the final pot but mine seem to grow better with an intermediate or two up pot first.

If you start your clones in a "normal" pot then the two week stall would start only when planted into the SIP. So, as I said, I'd rather get that phase out of the way in the first few weeks rather than start it at pot up in the final pot/SIP so I use really small SIPs to start.

OK. thanks for your input on my thread, too!

So, I'm looking at one 5 gal SIP to test this out. If it works out, I'll be doing all my plants-to-be-flowered in SIPs.

Two things headed me in this direction—one was seeing @CBDMed 's results, and two my desire to grow in HDPE food grade plastic instead of #5 plastic or semi-unknown black plastic 10 gal.

At first I was worried about pot size for the SIP, but it appears I will easily be able to get an 8 oz yield in a 5 gal. bucket, which should match my max capacity for my new bud dryer that I'm building.

When I think of growing in a 5 gal SIP, with 4 gal of my super soil mix, I sort of cringe because I just recently arrived at 10 gal as my optimum pot size for plant health and a good harvest.

If you want to Sip your clones, aero-cloners work amazingly well.

The process is entirely water based so the clones only grow water roots. There is no conversion time involved.

There is a link in my signature.

It was done for swicking, but same rules apply pretty much. The clone takes immediately.

The key is to have the soil quite moist at potting and let it dry down to sipping levels, and that hardens them off as they root in.

I set my cloth pots onto a swick a week before planting to fully hydrate them, so I would imagine if you filled your reservoir until your soil was fully hydrated and then planted and dried down to growing moisture levels it would work the same.

Have a look, it's mind boggling how fast they grow.

That was done with LOS not synthetics, but you can figure that part out easily enough I'm sure.

Using Azi's water and perlite method of cloning would likely work the same as aero cloning.

If you want to Sip your clones, aero-cloners work amazingly well.
thanks.

Azi said, "Converting the roots of a normal potted plant over to SIP roots usually takes 10-15 days"

I don't mind waiting 10 days. My grow is very laid back. Things here in Hawaii grow like mad anyway... it will be an interesting experiment!

How does this Turface work with SIPs ?

Do nutes get added to reservoir, mixed in or top watered ?

May give it a try. I like it can be reused, but these questions came to mind. TIA
WooHoo! ❤️

Turface in SIPs has been done with Excellent results! But you may need to construct the buckets slightly different to contain the Turface and keep it out of the res.

But if you are starting from scratch, there are alot of variations you could choose to simplify the system and operations, while maintaining Hydro fast growth!

You should check out my Journal, link in my Signature!

I grow with Turface and would be Happy to answer questions about Turface growing there!

To keep this thread going and bit for sharing / showing off 😎 :morenutes:

I'll guess another 2-3 weeks for the girls in the back....in front seems a lil behind....happy growing! :cheer:

Back
Top Bottom