OG Kush Round 2- In Soil - 1000Watt HPS - GH utes - CO2- Flipped Now- Going For 1LB!?

Re: OG Kush Round 2- In Soil - 1000Watt HPS - GH utes - CO2- Flipped Now- Going For 1

I'm using Advanced N.'s 2 Part Sensi Grow a and b. I am having an issue with the water around here being SUPER high on the PH scale. Almost 9! I use approx 20ml's of PH Down for 3 gallons of R.O. and lower it to 6.0 (cant get it to go lower) before I add the PH Perfect (not sure about that shit). I did find a water machine in town that they service quite often and it's more like 7.2. Do I have much to worry about using that water or that much ph down? or is it then about the same as water that started at 6.0?
Thanks

Wow 9.0!!?
I'm a little confused by what you said though..
Your tap water is 9.0? or the RO water?
Are you aging your tap water for a few days?
I'm guessing that you've already ruled out that your meter's are NOT out of sync.
But I think adding that much ph down to 3 gallons seems like too much..
especially if you can't get it any lower than 6.0.

my tap water comes out of the tap at 8.2.
When I age it for a few days it drops to about 7.2
Then I'm only adding about 1-2 mls of down to get it around 6.5(in bloom) 6.2 veg but whos getting that anal. pffffffft.

Re: OG Kush Round 2- In Soil - 1000Watt HPS - GH utes - CO2- Flipped Now- Going For 1

I'm using Advanced N.'s 2 Part Sensi Grow a and b. I am having an issue with the water around here being SUPER high on the PH scale. Almost 9! I use approx 20ml's of PH Down for 3 gallons of R.O. and lower it to 6.0 (cant get it to go lower) before I add the PH Perfect (not sure about that shit). I did find a water machine in town that they service quite often and it's more like 7.2. Do I have much to worry about using that water or that much ph down? or is it then about the same as water that started at 6.0?
Thanks

Try placing airstone in water for 24hours prior to using to bubble out chlorine. check ph then. Make sure u use th appropriate ph- for veg and for flower. Veg nitric acid, flower phosphoric acid. PH- can be toxic to very young plants and cuttings but older plants will handle it fine.

excellent looking harvest bro. ive decided against the tomato cages, not because u didnt have good results. just wont fit my style. great use of them for bud hangers btw. good luck with moving to hydro!

The 9.0 was coming out of the RO. I'm thinking that your right vick, time to tune up the ol hanna meter and check it again.

Thanks vick
and cultivator I'll try aerating the water for 24 hours and testing it again, thanks. I'll let yall know what I figure out. So glad you two got me on track.

Thats what I was thinking and there is a machine in town that sells water for .25 per gallon. Thee water is closer to 7 and that had me ASSume ing the meter was right on. So its time to calibrate, printed up the instructions and realized I only have the 7 and not also the 4 that its recommending, so after we go to town on Tuesday Ill be able to calibrate it right. So glad that I learned that it has to be calibrated, feel like an idiot that for the last 2 years I have been using this hanna meter and didnt even know enough to maintain it. F it I'm honest, I dont know everything :)

Try placing airstone in water for 24hours prior to using to bubble out chlorine. check ph then. Make sure u use th appropriate ph- for veg and for flower. Veg nitric acid, flower phosphoric acid. PH- can be toxic to very young plants and cuttings but older plants will handle it fine.

Agreed, I do that exact thing. Have two 5 gallon buckets both with airstones in them. I let my water sit for at least 2 days before using..
works awesome for bringing PH back and ridding chlorine

excellent looking harvest bro. ive decided against the tomato cages, not because u didnt have good results. just wont fit my style. great use of them for bud hangers btw. good luck with moving to hydro!

Thanks Ricky!!
Yeah they're pretty grow specific little thingies..
I'm gunna take a few tonight and bend some around and see what I can come up with and try to make a square one..
I'll post up here a photo of my monstrosity..

Thats what I was thinking and there is a machine in town that sells water for .25 per gallon. Thee water is closer to 7 and that had me ASSume ing the meter was right on. So its time to calibrate, printed up the instructions and realized I only have the 7 and not also the 4 that its recommending, so after we go to town on Tuesday Ill be able to calibrate it right. So glad that I learned that it has to be calibrated, feel like an idiot that for the last 2 years I have been using this hanna meter and didnt even know enough to maintain it. F it I'm honest, I dont know everything :)

One thing to keep in mind, too... RO water that is very close to 0ppm is difficult to get a reliable PH reading on (it's very PH unstable due to lack of ions in the water). Inexpensive PH meters seem to struggle with low PPM water especially. One little trick if this is complicating things for you: dump a single bottle of drinking water in with your RO water. It contains good minerals typically anyway, and it will really help get a more stable PH reading prior to adding nutrients, etc, as the minerals in it really stabilize things PH wise in your reservoir. Alternatively, add a little tap water to the tank that isn't filtered (you may still want to let any chlorine age out of it for a day, etc.)

I calibrate my PH meter about once a week, and it often is off by as much as .2 by the end of that week. They can get pretty far out of calibration pretty quickly sometimes. It's good to calibrate using both 4.0 and 7.0 as you mention. There is also a 10.0 calibration solution, but I don't bother with that one anymore (never seemed necessary after doing the 4.0 and 7.0).

I used a totally un calibrated meter for my whole first grow. Just like you, I didn't know they needed to be calibrated. When I finally checked it near the end of my grow, it was out 2 points.
Now I'm pretty anal about checking my meter. I calibrate it weekly.
Don't feel like an idiot. We all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. And be confident that you can ask us anything here.
We're not going to judge.
We were all there once too you know!

I guess this journal will be coming to an end here pretty soon. I'll post up weights and smoke report after the 2 week, maybe 3 week cure. But first just a quick update on the next generation of lovely OG babies..
I completely bleached and scrubbed the whole tent. Then dropped a Dokter Doom fogger bomb. Let it air out all day, then moved the giggly teenagers into their new clean dorm room for the next few months..
I will be starting a new journal for this grow, and will link up for any of you that might want to jump on board. Everything's looking really healthy so far, and it looks like they're really starting to stretch their legs now. Thinking I'm going to leave the 5 in the configuration they're in now, then train the outer girls to hold hands like "ring around the rosie" round their big sister in the middle. Should fill in the tent quite nicely. Or I could cram one more plant in there to have three rows of 2. (thinking that might be a bit too cramped though.) I might still build some custom cages out of the ones I used in the last grow. And make larger square ones, so I can scrogg the tops of each plant.
Thanks to all of you that have contributed to my grows, and have helped me learn so much along the way!! I consider all of you my friends now.

Xlr8, Bassman59, Cultivator, OldMedMan, Jandre2k3, Buckshot, UrbanGrower, WhizHigh, donpaul.p, fishcake, JamesTheGreen, miwa, Mutt, Mr. Krip, Propa Gator, Icemud, GiGaBaNE, Norcaliwood, Popcorn, Mrgivemethat, jon705, Jimmycricket, Arizonameds, Aardvark, Delocated420...
I'm sorry if I left anyone out..

And most of all, thanks to 420magazine for making this such a positive and joyous growing experience for me!

:high-five:

OG_3_1.jpg

Congrats on a great grow Vick! :yahoo:

You really nailed it, brother. Helluva job. The next generation looks very promising, indeed! Can't wait to follow the next one my friend. :)

Congrats on a great grow Vick! :yahoo:

You really nailed it, brother. Helluva job. The next generation looks very promising, indeed! Can't wait to follow the next one my friend. :)

Thanks my man!!:)
Pretty excited about this next grow!

Not much could go wrong with you around..
you're advice is textbook bro!

Thanks vick, means alot to me. I used to feel bad and lie about it when I didnt know something lol. Not anymore I learned a long time ago about karma and try my best to be as honest as possible even if it makes for an uncomfortable situation.

Yeah I was also thinking 9 had to be wrong so I broke out the PH Calibration (7) fluid to just see how off I was and the stinking thing said 10.4 damn, wonder how long its been off. I am ASSuMe ing 2 weeks less than the total amount of time I've owned it lol.
So glad that 420mag and its great members are here and that were able to share our experiences. Probably 500 years worth of growing experience here. My favorite place to hang on the net for sure.

I'd like to get a PH Wand and a seperate wall mounted unit that will constantly monitor the res. 24/7. Any suggestions?
Thanks
I'm using the HI 981129 Combo by Hanna Instruments. Had two of their separate handhelds a few years ago (the orange ones) and they went bad, not remembering forsure what happened but they sent me this black one 3 or 5 years ago, I have never calibrated it and God it shows. Tomorrow I'll pick up the 4.0 buffering calibration fluid (already have the 7) and finally show it some love. So glad I picked up on the fact that it needs to be calibrated because Im going to be doing my first RDWC in a month or so. Can you imagine?

Hey Vick quick question I was trying to go back a few pages to find the convo but I couldnt. When did you start Kool Bloom dry, the 1st or 2nd week of flower? Or should i wait until it start producing pre flowering
I have used GH since I started experimenting with hydro, Now using BPN, but I started it 1 day after flushing with water when I was using GH. Make sure you get it ALL disolved in solution BEFORE adding...I usually mixed a half gallon of Kool Bloom and some micro and let it sit, shaking it vigorously for a while, let it sit, repeat. Then I added the other half gallon if water to it and shook it up again before adding it. If I was doing a 5 gallon res, I would pour 4 gallons of PHd water into the res and add the last one with the nutes after it was all mixed well. :cheesygrinsmiley::tokin:

I have used GH since I started experimenting with hydro, Now using BPN, but I started it 1 day after flushing with water when I was using GH. Make sure you get it ALL disolved in solution BEFORE adding...I usually mixed a half gallon of Kool Bloom and some micro and let it sit, shaling it vigorously for a while, let it sit, repeat. Then I added the other half gallon if water to it and shook it up again before adding it. If I was doing a 5 gallon res, I would pour 4 gallons of PHd water into the res and add the last one with the nutes after it was all mixed well. :cheesygrinsmiley::tokin:

Thanks Ill just put it all in a blender lol. So you flush before you start flowering? Im in soil so this may not apply to that. But im using floranova 2 part.

Thanks Ill just put it all in a blender lol. So you flush before you start flowering? Im in soil so this may not apply to that. But im using floranova 2 part.
Funny about the blender....a paint mixer in a 5 gal would work too:cheesygrinsmiley:I have heard of just PH'd water for the first feeding of nutes when it's a soil grow...I'll stay subbed and watch what your flowering girl does:cheesygrinsmiley::tokin:

Hey Vick quick question I was trying to go back a few pages to find the convo but I couldnt. When did you start Kool Bloom dry, the 1st or 2nd week of flower? Or should i wait until it start producing pre flowering

Hi whiz, sorry it took so long to get back to this..
Kool bloom dry is for the last few weeks of flowering, not first.
I use liquid Koolbloom and Floralicious plus with first nute feeding after flip.
Soil or not, I'd always recommend flushing before flip. Just to rid any salt buildup.
I usually flush with 15ml of molasses per gallon of PH'd water.

hope this helps..

Back
Top Bottom