New City Grower 1.0

Re: New City Grower

Question 4

Is it more beneficial to start a clone/seed in a small pot and transplant one/several times over the course of a grow or to start a plant directly in a large final container? Please explain the advantages of the method you choose.

To much debate on this...... Personally I start in a small pot transplant once there forever home. That works for me. Get a nice little root mass going so the roots will seek out all ways when potted up :)

Others like to start in one big pot and not to transplant at all. Less stress

Others may transplant 3/4 times reasons of keeping a healthy root system going.

For me it's one transplant

Question 4

Is it more beneficial to start a clone/seed in a small pot and transplant one/several times over the course of a grow or to start a plant directly in a large final container? Please explain the advantages of the method you choose.

I'm a man of the transplant. I will always stress the importance of this after I saw the benefits for myself.

Firstly transplanting frequently allows the root of the plant to form a thick layer of mass. As we all know roots grow (mostly) straight down and then start circling up and around the pot. If you increase in pot sizes every so often JUST before a plant gets root bound, a grower can create multiple layers of 'root mass' that continue to encircle itself. In my opinion this is the best and fastest way to promote healthy root development and growth. Of course a little Hiesenburg Tea never hurt at all either ;)

To much debate on this...... Personally I start in a small pot transplant once there forever home. That works for me. Get a nice little root mass going so the roots will seek out all ways when potted up :)

Others like to start in one big pot and not to transplant at all. Less stress

Others may transplant 3/4 times reasons of keeping a healthy root system going.

For me it's one transplant
Agreed!

I start with a root riot and transplant to my final pot. No plant likes transplanting, it stresses them out.

If seed...depends on whether an auto flower or not; auto's hate stress and kinda just call it quits sometimes when transplanted...actually, most times. The rest, small pots and pot up. Get root mass going fast and strong through all phases

Well now the factor of 'stress' also depends on what kind of medium the grower wishes to use.

I find in soil, tranplants are a high stress period for most plants so this infact would be viable Jam!

However being newly introduced to growing in 'grow cubes' I have been able to transplant my plants with ease and absolutely no signs of stress whatsoever. I even take the plant out of its pot for 30 seconds at a time weekly to check for 'rootbound-ness'.

if you want to take a 10inch clone or 1ft clone or even bigger then do some air layering, the clone dont stop growing while it roots, it keeps getting fed by the parent plant, once its rooted you cut the branch off the mother plant and plant it and it will continue to grow.

air layering clones the hardest of plants to clone, some strains are really hard to clone and some impossible, air layering takes the problem away

Mick45. For photoperiod cannabis plants I start with 5" pots and when the roots begin to circle the bottom of the pot transplant to 1 gallon pots, when the roots begin to circle the bottom of the pot I transplant to 5 gallon size pots. Auto flower cannabis plants should idealy not be transplanted.

I'm a man of the transplant. I will always stress the importance of this after I saw the benefits for myself.

Firstly transplanting frequently allows the root of the plant to form a thick layer of mass. As we all know roots grow (mostly) straight down and then start circling up and around the pot. If you increase in pot sizes every so often JUST before a plant gets root bound, a grower can create multiple layers of 'root mass' that continue to encircle itself. In my opinion this is the best and fastest way to promote healthy root development and growth. Of course a little Hiesenburg Tea never hurt at all either ;)

I like that explanation AG :thumb:

Yep, it's defo a personal preference thing. Theoretically though MORE is better........BUT NOT AUTOS as mentioned :)

letting the soil totally dry out before transplanting reduces the stress in soil grown plants, transplanting bubble clones or any other water clone method into soil can and will cause stress

Well now the factor of 'stress' also depends on what kind of medium the grower wishes to use.

I find in soil, tranplants are a high stress period for most plants so this infact would be viable Jam!

However being newly introduced to growing in 'grow cubes' I have been able to transplant my plants with ease and absolutely no signs of stress whatsoever. I even take the plant out of its pot for 30 seconds at a time weekly to check for 'rootbound-ness'.

I agree, but that wasn't how the question was offered..."small POT or final container"

OK we need a winner for question #4, I see our 3rd judge has showed up with only 15mins left in the show Wow Mr. Suavay! Dres What's Question #5?

Back
Top Bottom