Mars Hydro FC-3000 Shines Down On Babygirl’s Sour Livers In DWC: Sponsored Grow

I’m going back to the low pH - setting the mix at 5.0
Plants in DWC can take up nutrients very fast snd uptake of some micronutrients is enhanced at pH below 5.5
You could be looking at an excess which is antagonizing uptake of others.
I’m thinking maybe Manganese or Zinc.

7A9D2BC1-0E22-444C-B4A1-861647256D98.png
Lol - I hate that chart … it is beyond my comprehension.

Basically what you’re saying though is by setting my pH to below 5.5, that I could be inhibiting the uptake of other nutrients?

Quick update … wont bore ya’ll with the numbers but basically ppms up, ph up, water down 2 more quarts. But what the hell is THIS?!

E9F4ACF3-3BEF-4E71-8CDC-652CEC52E7C9.jpeg
Leaf tip discoloration looks exactly same as I had on my last round. Calcium, magnesium & potassium most likely being locked out.

No freaking way! really??? I’ve already upped her calcium some / if I up it much more those ppms are gonna hit 1300 or so!
Upping Ca&Mg ratios prob wont fix it if it is a lockout.
I’d first adjust VPD to a lower value (prob lower your temps or raise RH) for less transpiration = less need/consume of calcium and see if that get things back on track.

And then I’d adjust and keep pH between 5.8-6.1 - as the flowering starts it is recommended to maintain about 6 ph for optimal Calcium, magnesium & potassium absorption. Some of the micros which goes with the lower ph aren’t needed much as during the veg phase.

And as Felipe mentioned that when you go lower than 5.5 pH - the micro nutrient absorbtion almost tenfolds, or even more, the lower you go.

There could be an excess or toxicity of some micro nutrient. See below an example of excessive manganese could display same kind of symptoms while locking out other elements (see Felipes mulder’s chart)
1640085685607.jpeg

I’d first adjust VPD to a lower value (prob lower your temps or raise RH) for less transpiration = less need/consume of calcium and see if that get things back on track.
My standard tent temps are 68-72 (ish) for about 99% of the time - not sure if I should try for much lower. As for raising the RH, thats an on-going battle for me; the absolute highest I can get it (WITH a humidifier) as around 48-50%. Despite living on the water, our house is unbelievably dry - 37% in the house this morning.

And then I’d adjust and keep pH between 5.8-6.1 - as the flowering starts it is recommended to maintain about 6 ph for optimal Calcium, magnesium & potassium absorption. Some of the micros which goes with the lower ph aren’t needed much as during the veg phase.

And as Felipe mentioned that when you go lower than 5.5 pH - the micro nutrient absorbtion almost tenfolds, or even more, the lower you go.
Yeah, I’ll start aiming for that henceforth :)

There could be an excess or toxicity of some micro nutrient. See below an example of excessive manganese could display same kind of symptoms while locking out other elements (see Felipes mulder’s chart)
That Mulder’s chart may as well be written in Greek or Latin; I dont understand it in the LEAST!

Does your flowering nute have more Ca in it than your veg?
Hey @InTheShed ! I just looked at the bottle of Botanicare Bloom nutes (which I havent started using yet), and it only has 1% calcium … the Botanicare Grow I’ve been using thus far has 3% calcium - so no, it has less.

Here’s the labels from the bottles:
GrowBloom
Nitrogen: 3%
Phosphate: 1%
Soluble Potash: 2%
Calcium: 3%
Magnesium: .5%
Manganese: .05%
Nitrogen: 2%
Phosphate: 3%
Soluble Potash: 5%
Calcium: 1%

@FelipeBlu gave me a mix formula (which I need to go back and find) to use once she starts flowering.

Hey @InTheShed ! I just looked at the bottle of Botanicare Bloom nutes (which I havent started using yet), and it only has 1% calcium … the Botanicare Grow I’ve been using thus far has 3% calcium - so no, it has less.

Here’s the labels from the bottles:
GrowBloom
Nitrogen: 3%
Phosphate: 1%
Soluble Potash: 2%
Calcium: 3%
Manganese: .05%
Nitrogen: 2%
Phosphate: 3%
Soluble Potash: 5%
Calcium: 1%

@FelipeBlu gave me a mix formula (which I need to go back and find) to use once she starts flowering.
Thanks, and any formula given by Felipe is one you should go with!

In terms of the Ca in your bloom nutes, if the issue is pH and lockout (I guess I know more about hydro than I thought ;) and now I've learned more!) then the amount doesn't matter here. As Verbalist mentioned, adding more isn't the answer.

Once you get your pH sorted and Felipe's mix, I'd recommend a Vick's Vaporizer for your house. It will raise the humidity and make both your plants and your family more comfortable. They're cheap and effective.

Thanks, and any formula given by Felipe is one you should go with!

In terms of the Ca in your bloom nutes, if the issue is pH and lockout (I guess I know more about hydro than I thought ;) and now I've learned more!) then the amount doesn't matte here. As Verbalist mentioned, adding more isn't the answer.

Once you get your pH sorted and Felipe's mix, I'd recommend a Vick's Vaporizer for your house. It will raise the humidity and make both your plants and your family more comfortable. They're cheap and effective.
Again, I have a hard time believing is a lockout issue because I’ve done nothing different over the last 4-5 weeks regarding her pH - I’ve always kept it in the same range. That being said, I will be going with @FelipeBlu ’s mix formula and moving the pH up to 5.5 for start instead of 5.0.

Also, yup - I already have the Vicks vaporizer in the tent ( have for weeks now) - and can NOT for the life of me get that RH above 50-52% to save my life - and thats on an optimal day. And for a good 80% of the time, the best I can manage is 42-47%.

Again, I have a hard time believing is a lockout issue because I’ve done nothing different over the last 4-5 weeks regarding her pH - I’ve always kept it in the same range. That being said, I will be going with @FelipeBlu ’s mix formula and moving the pH up to 5.5 for start instead of 5.0.

Also, yup - I already have the Vicks vaporizer in the tent ( have for weeks now) - and can NOT for the life of me get that RH above 50-52% to save my life - and thats on an optimal day. And for a good 80% of the time, the best I can manage is 42-47%.
Can you slow down your exhaust fan? I had to plug up part of my exhaust fan to keep some of the temperature and humidity in the tent, until I got a Mars Hydro variable speed exhaust. Now, I keep it on the lowest setting and it allows a bit more heat and humidity to stay in the tent.

Your plant has changed recently so it's taking up nutes in different amounts as its needs change.
Ok, that makes sense :)

Also, I don't understand how a VV in the tent doesn't raise the RH! It putting out pure steam at 212°. Try putting it in the tent room and close the door and see it that helps.
Let me put it this way: I have a BIG (like 2.5 foot tall x 14” square) 3.5 gallon humidifier in my bedroom … running that 24/7 gets the humidity in the bedroom to about 50%.

I’m telling ya man, this house is FRICKING DRY. And it was WORSE before we did the major kitchen remodel this year (open floor plan house) and sealed up a LOT of gaps, cracks, and leaks in the house.

EDIT: and you dont even want to know how bad it gets when we have a fire in the fireplace.

Can you slow down your exhaust fan? I had to plug up part of my exhaust fan to keep some of the temperature and humidity in the tent, until I got a Mars Hydro variable speed exhaust. Now, I keep it on the lowest setting and it allows a bit more heat and humidity to stay in the tent.
Sorry - don’t have variable speed exhaust, but it does go off during lights out.

I did turn off the two 6” fans in the tent though too, so we’ll see what THAT does.

Sorry - don’t have variable speed exhaust, but it does go off during lights out.
You can buy a fan dimmer fairly cheap off Bezos. Handy little things to have when fine tuning your environment.
Screenshot_20211221-113141_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Have you tried hanging a wet towel in the tent - with the bottom in a bucket of water?
No, that I haven’t tried … what size towel?

You can buy a fan dimmer fairly cheap off Bezos. Handy little things to have when fine tuning your environment.
Screenshot_20211221-113141_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I’ll get one of those!

No, that I haven’t tried … what size towel?
I used a bath towel that pretty much stretched from the top to the bucket. It was heavy so make sure it’s well hung.

I used a bath towel that pretty much stretched from the top to the bucket. It was heavy so make sure it’s well hung.
Copy that

Yup, the wet towel trick works wonders, especially if you point a small fan at it.
Just try to swap the towel out daily to avoid mildew on it.
Excellent tip! The mildew is for real. I changed the towel daily.

Here's a chart helping to explain why 5.0 may be low to start ph.
1640118288886.png
If you're in hydro it looks like it was ok to do as Ca will uptake from 5.0 to 5.8. @InTheShed is the red line on the left phosphorus? Maybe that's the missing nute? It does look Calcium but the chart says look elsewhere. Don't think it's Mag.

Back
Top Bottom