Is this leaf septoria? If so, what should I do?

And am I supposed to wet trim before washing or just remove the big stuff?
I hate trimming. Hate it, just hate it. So, I trim before the wash to get it over with. Some plants take 2 or 3 days to trim but once it is finished the relief is great.

I was also wondering if I shouldn't add a capful of bleach for the mold.
If you are worried about mold then consider doing the first wash using Hydrogen Peroxide and water. Then go to the standard washing using the Baking Soda and Lemon Juice mix followed with the two rinses.

The smell and taste of bleach might never get removed from the buds and that would be a huge disappointment so probably best to not even think of it;).

I hate trimming. Hate it, just hate it. So, I trim before the wash to get it over with. Some plants take 2 or 3 days to trim but once it is finished the relief is great.
I have helped someone with this part of the process before so I know it sucks. That is why I got a bowl trimmer. I will gladly pay someone to help. 3 of my plants are between 6 to 7 feet tall and they were fimmed so they have multiple colas. 1 of them started life as an indoor plant so it was trained to grow wide instead of tall. That one is now 5 feet tall. the canopy is as wide as the plant is tall. So much work ahead of me!

The washed bud has almost no flavor and lost a lot of its potency. I know a lot of people swear by the method so there must be some devil in the details I missed. Never had the need or desire to attempt it again.
If the water is hot or even too warm the washed buds do seem to loose taste and terpene smell.

I have stopped waiting till the bitter end and now harvest at 8 to 9 weeks after the start of actual bud development. The smell, taste and effect/high/buzz seems to be a whole lot better. World of difference. For those who want a "couch-lock" effect I tell them to take an extra hit or two and lay back and watch the ceiling.

I used @Sativa1970 method of flash drying. My dad tried it as soon as it came out the oven and more the next day. He said it wasn't harsh. He said the first day, straight out the oven had a green, homegrown taste but it was good the second day. No green taste and wasn't ha
I never tested my water but I drink it straight from the tap all the time and I am okay. Our well is only 4 or 5 years old. I know we have a lot of minerals in our water because of the amount of scrubbing I have to do to keep my shower walls from turning green from the calcium deposits......and I guess it makes a certain smell when mixed with hair bleach because my hairstylist always comments on it when I get my hair done. Would the mineral deposits be of concern?
Making hash. I don't like using water at all. Even distilled water leaves a taste I don't enjoy. I use a deep freezer with bubble bags over Pyrex dishes. Using rubber bands to hold above, change to break off trichomes. Pull out every so often and shake shake shake. Takes longer but what I'm getting is a lot better tasting.

RO is Reverse Osmosis water. Almost distilled water. Just a blank canvas so you are not adding more impurities. Decent tap water should work just fine. You want to defoliate before you harvest. Easier to get that harsh "home grown" taste from chlorophyll out of the bud. Also less to deal with and dries more even. Anything that has no sugar crystals gets cut off right before harvest.

I tried using the wash method once. Two mowi clones grown and harvested side by side. One defoliate and hung. The other defoliate then washed. Gently lowered into each 70 deg bucket and soaked for a few minutes. Baking soda and lemon ( 1 tsp per gallon) in the first bucket. Strait water in the next two for rinse. Hung the branches on a line with a fan moving and exhausting air until ready for cure. The washed bud has almost no flavor and lost a lot of its potency. I know a lot of people swear by the method so there must be some devil in the details I missed. Never had the need or desire to attempt it again. Closest I get is cold water to strip the trichs when making bubble hash. If you are concerned abought mold in the buds bubble hash may be a solution for you.

When drying you will get the advice that when a branch snaps clean with an audible pop it is dry. Never understood that description. I have tried a branch that sat on a potting bench for a year and it wouldn't snap. If you push a bud towards the base of the plant and it pops off into your hand it is dry and ready for cure.
I trim as leaves dry, buds still slightly wet, depending on how moist after a branch is trimmed I'll hang back up, put on a rack or jar. I haven't destroyed anything yet, if in jar buds are still losing moisture, open and with a fan keeps it from molding etc. I don't get the snapping a branch either. Makes no sense to me. I don't want buds to be so dry they crumble to dust...

I wet trim because I want to check every flower for rot and bugs. Anything with rot should be cut from the plant before you even wash and anything with powery mildew should be wet trimmed.

There may be some loss of chlorophyll between harvest and dry trimming but that will also happen between wet trimming and bucking the buds from the branches after a week of hang drying, so the result is the same.
If you are concerned abought mold in the buds bubble hash may be a solution for you.
I'm sure that most mold spores are smaller than the smallest mesh bubble bags and therefore would make it into the hash.

I went into a headshop yesterday looking for Bravada packs. The guy said the same thing to me the branch snapping. I was thinking to myself they are all different sizes and some of them I don't think would ever snap. From what I have read online you want the outside of the bud to be on the crisp side but when you squeeze it there should be enough moisture on the inside that it bounces back and doesn't compress. Does this sound right?

I went into a headshop yesterday looking for Bravada packs. The guy said the same thing to me the branch snapping. I was thinking to myself they are all different sizes and some of them I don't think would ever snap. From what I have read online you want the outside of the bud to be on the crisp side but when you squeeze it there should be enough moisture on the inside that it bounces back and doesn't compress. Does this sound right?
Yes, though you might have to dry the bud further. Outside gets crispy, squeeze a little, outside moist again, dry again. I trim more in between. Helps dry a little quicker. It's a little bit of guesswork at first. Buds can get really dark with too much moisture going in a jar, cause mold issues.
Hash is actually really simple too. Bubble bags. Can do a really simple shake with water in a jar and filter off. Repeat once or twice. Bucket and ice.
Some of the tutorials I've seen you use multiple buckets. Repeating the process a few times. Stir ice/herb for up to a half hour. Filter off. Let settle . Water can be reused and cycled again. It's too much a hassle for me to get something I don't care for. I either use my grinder, freezing and shaking or the bubble bags in the freezer over a dish. Grinder I don't have to dry. Other 2 ways I do have to dry.
Drying with using ice/water you'll have a drying mat. Usually 25 micron. Can use it to press and dry. After dry a press to press it if you want it compacted further

I use the stem snap method but I also have a hygrometer in the drying box or tent to let me know how dry the air is in there. I take them off the lines around 70% RH and burp them down to 62% over two weeks.

And for the record, humidity packs are for long term storage of flowers, not for adjusting the humidity in them. Get the buds within 1% up or down before sealing them with humidity packs.
I know nothing about making hash but if it's not too difficult I would love to surprise my husband with some. Anyone have some easy instructions?
Personally I find bubble hash a royal pain in the ass, between the ice and the stirring and the filtering through multiple bags waiting for the water to drain, then drying the hash and cleaning the bags...once and never again.

Now I make dry ice hash, pretty much per this video:

I use the stem snap method but I also have a hygrometer in the drying box or tent to let me know how dry the air is in there. I take them off the lines around 70% RH and burp them down to 62% over two weeks.

And for the record, humidity packs are for long term storage of flowers, not for adjusting the humidity in them. Get the buds within 1% up or down before sealing them with humidity packs.

Personally I find bubble hash a royal pain in the ass, between the ice and the stirring and the filtering through multiple bags waiting for the water to drain, then drying the hash and cleaning the bags...once and never again.

Now I make dry ice hash, pretty much per this video:

I haven't used dry ice. I likely will in the future. Currently my preference is the bags in the freezer and no water. Condensation after pulling out a minute here and there causes it to be moist but it's far easier than with ic/water. Experimenting with sizes, currently using the 160 micron and 90 micron. 160 is fairly pure on it's own. I'm waiting to see how the first attempt using 90 micron turns out. Initially I was just pressing after using the 190 micron. A little leafy.
Regularly I just throw a few buds in my grinder without grinding. Shake after a few hours in the freezer and press what falls below. Little plant matter gets in but has been the tastiest

I know nothing about making hash but if it's not too difficult I would love to surprise my husband with some. Anyone have some easy instructions?

If it gets below -20 where you live, you can make hash outside in the cold
Check my Link in my Sig
I also make concentrated cannabis oil when it’s 30 below.

Save all them leaves that have sugar on them

Not everyone is so lucky though. :)
That’s why I said if 😆
Not everybody is so lucky to live where it’s warm year round

If not the dry ice is your best bet
But I would not shake it that hard directly with the dry ice as it will grind & shatter the organic matter turning it to dust that will go through your screen

I try to shake it so that the leaves & bud slide against each other shearing the trichomes off the stalks

Also you need some kind of box built around the glass
You can see the trics floating off past the glass in the vid

I use a garage bag to catch mine & it works well
What dust is left in the bag is mostly organic matter because it is lighter than the trichomes

If I had to do it with a dry ice, I would get a cooler put the dry ice in the bottom
Fill my Micron bag with the weed put that in the garbage bag and chill in the cooler For 15 minutes

Open cooler insert a cardboard extender and shake
Cold air is heavier so the dry ice would never touch your weed

When I was younger, we read in a book that putting your weed on dry ice would make it stronger

Well, we wrapped it in newspaper and shook it a few times, checking to see if the dry ice was gone or not. When we opened it up the weed was dust.

Mold is much smaller than trichomes so it passes through the screens. Bubble hash Process separates plant matter, trichomes, and dirt/mold.

Throw your plant matter in a bag, in the freezer. Stack your bubble bags in a bucket like trash bags in a can. Buble bags have silk screen bottoms to let water through but catch trichomes. Dump frozen plant, and equal parts ice and water in the lined bucket. Stir/ agitate for 15 minutes. Pull the first bag ( working bag) full of plant material. Agitate each following bag as you lift and rinse the inside so trichomes clump together in the bottom. Scrape up the globs and place on cardboard. Finer the mesh the more pure the hash. You can repeate getting lower and lower yield each run. Let dry overnight. Grind with siv screen or mandalin. Let fully dry another day. Smoke now or store for decades. Gets better with age.

That’s why I said if 😆

If not the dry ice is your best bet
But I would not shake it that hard directly with the dry ice as it will grind & shatter the organic matter turning it to dust that will go through your screen

I try to shake it so that the leaves & bud slide against each other shearing the trichomes off the stalks

Also you need some kind of box built around the glass
You can see the trics floating off past the glass in the vid

I use a garage bag to catch mine & it works well
What dust is left in the bag is mostly organic matter because it is lighter than the trichomes

If I had to do it with a dry ice, I would get a cooler put the dry ice in the bottom
Fill my Micron bag with the weed put that in the garbage bag and chill in the cooler For 15 minutes

Open cooler insert a cardboard extender and shake
Cold air is heavier so the dry ice would never touch your weed

When I was younger, we read in a book that putting your weed on dry ice would make it stronger

Well, we wrapped it in newspaper and shook it a few times, checking to see if the dry ice was gone or not. When we opened it up the weed was dust.
I'm using the square Pyrex dishes because of the dust that floats. What I'm doing is a lot like using dry ice but while shaking around temp is quickly rising on the material. Dry ice temp is a tad steadier with the dry ice.
I haven't been finely grinding. Doing so with water was a big mistake. After I watched the video of dry ice I switched up. A whole lot more quicker.

If it gets below -20 where you live, you can make hash outside in the cold
Check my Link in my Sig
I also make concentrated cannabis oil when it’s 30 below.

Save all them leaves that have sugar on them
I am in VA. We get all 4 seasons. Hot, humid summers and below-freezing winters. We don't get a lot of snow anymore though......damn global warming! I remember when I was a kid school being closed for days at a time because of snow. Now we are lucky to get enough snow to cause a school delay. The last blizzard we had was about 15 years ago.

That’s why I said if 😆

@InTheShed I got to agree with Joe, you got it made with the weather. In my younger days I was quite the road warrior and out of all the places I have visited your area is the only place where the locals like and are proud to be where they are from. Any other place I have been the locals have some reason to hate where they live.

Back
Top Bottom