How should I handle this mold issue?

Lovie

I live in VA. It has rained almost every day for the past 2 weeks and should continue to rain for the next few days. My plants have Leaf Septoria. Yesterday I plucked the leaves with visual signs of septoria and sprayed them with copper fungicide. When I remove the leaves I pinch them off. I have been doing it this way for a while now but yesterday it caused some serious issues. Overnight, the remaining portions of the leaf stems that were still connected to the plants died, decayed, are oozing and causing mold. I am 2 to 4 weeks away from harvest. How do I keep this situation under control? I am going to go through and remove all the decaying leaf stems I see from plucking leaves off yesterday and cut off any mold I see. Is there anything else I can do?

Stem that broke off and landed on a bud.
DecayingLeafStem.jpg

Decaying Stem. The quality of the pics suck but you can see were something oozed onto the stem and leaves.
OzingDecayingLeafStem.jpg

This happened overnight. This was removed from the top of the plant. I was receiving good airflow and this still happened.
MoldlyBudFromTopOfPlant.jpg

Ooz from decaying leaf stem.
Oz.jpg

I live in VA. It has rained almost every day for the past 2 weeks and should continue to rain for the next few days. My plants have Leaf Septoria. Yesterday I plucked the leaves with visual signs of septoria and sprayed them with copper fungicide. When I remove the leaves I pinch them off. I have been doing it this way for a while now but yesterday it caused some serious issues. Overnight, the remaining portions of the leaf stems that were still connected to the plants died, decayed, are oozing and causing mold. I am 2 to 4 weeks away from harvest. How do I keep this situation under control? I am going to go through and remove all the decaying leaf stems I see from plucking leaves off yesterday and cut off any mold I see. Is there anything else I can do?

Stem that broke off and landed on a bud.
DecayingLeafStem.jpg

Decaying Stem. The quality of the pics suck but you can see were something oozed onto the stem and leaves.
OzingDecayingLeafStem.jpg

This happened overnight. This was removed from the top of the plant. I was receiving good airflow and this still happened.
MoldlyBudFromTopOfPlant.jpg

Ooz from decaying leaf stem.
Oz.jpg
Be careful when cutting it out as you can spread it throughout the plant
Wipe gloves & snips between removal with alcohol
Try to do it when plant is dry

Be careful when cutting it out as you can spread it throughout the plant

This is my first grow. What caused this is the decaying stems from the leaves I plucked yesterday. That has me terrified to remove anything else but I know if I don't it will only spread. Especially since this all happened in less than 24 hours. I am going to use shears instead of pinching things off with my fingers and I guess I need to make my cuts right against the branches so there is nothing left over to decay. Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated! And is there anything I can do to prevent it from oozing?

Try to do it when plant is dry
I don't think that will be possible. Yesterday was the first sunny day we had in a while and even though it wasn't raining it was 85 and humid. We are supposed to have overcast skies and rain on and off for the next 3 days.

Lost Coast Plant Therapy is what I use best product ever - kills spider mites, russet mites, thrips , aphids also powdery mildew - this stuff is organic --spent $5.00 for their sample and have used all of it because of a "living soil" issue FYI
I just sprayed them with copper fungicide yesterday for leaf septoria. I just checked the label and it doesn't say anything about black mold. I know the quality of my pics sucks but you can see black fuzzy mold on the decayed leaf stems and the one bud I posted a pic of is covered in a greyish fuzz. I need to find something that I can buy over the counter today. I don't think I have time to wait for anything to be shipped.

use plant scissors to remove any dead or decaying material don't pluck things off with your hands, you'll only spread it around and make new infestation sites. wearing disposable gloves would help as well. keep the scissors in some iso alcohol when pruning and wipe them constantly with it.

I just sprayed them with copper fungicide yesterday for leaf septoria. I just checked the label and it doesn't say anything about black mold. I know the quality of my pics sucks but you can see black fuzzy mold on the decayed leaf stems and the one bud I posted a pic of is covered in a greyish fuzz. I need to find something that I can buy over the counter today. I don't think I have time to wait for anything to be shipped.

there isn't much that's gonna be safe to use in flower. pretty much everything that kills it will be toxic. copper is ok in veg but not flower if you want to use the bud. a sulphur burner and increased air movement is the most common greenhouse method of controlling it.

damp weather is a killer if it continues. there may come a point you simply have to pull the plants early.

it all makes indoor growing a lot more attractive.

There is an old saying for pruning. If you can hang your hat on it you are not done. You need to take the leaf stem all the way back at the node. It's dyeing and rotting away.

Black mold is sephoria. Just like Thai is hemp. Sephoria and hemp are the genus. Thai and black mold are the sub species of that genus.

Just got home from the hardware store and pharmacy. I got gloves, alcohol, 2 new pairs of pruning shears and more bamboo sticks to better separate the branches I have tied up that are collapsing due to the weight of the buds and rain. I found this stuff by Trifecta called Crop Control. It has small percentages of thyme oil, clove oil, garlic oil, peppermint oil, corn oil, geranoil, citric acid, and rosemary oil and 99.26% Filtered water, Soap, Isopropyl alcohol and vinegar. It says it works on botrytis so we will see. I never heard of it before but the ingredients seem too hateful.

Just got home from the hardware store and pharmacy. I got gloves, alcohol, 2 new pairs of pruning shears and more bamboo sticks to better separate the branches I have tied up that are collapsing due to the weight of the buds and rain. I found this stuff by Trifecta called Crop Control. It has small percentages of thyme oil, clove oil, garlic oil, peppermint oil, corn oil, geranoil, citric acid, and rosemary oil and 99.26% Filtered water, Soap, Isopropyl alcohol and vinegar. It says it works on botrytis so we will see. I never heard of it before but the ingredients seem too hateful.
Sounds about what most people use. Citric acid was the choice but now people are trying out canola oil spray because of Korean studies
Spray in the morning so they dry before night

Should I change my gloves after removing each infected piece or can I apply hand sanitizer to my gloves between handling each contamination?
Just sanitize between is good

Unfortunately, I did not get to do the thorough job I was wanting to do. The rain and sunset beat me. I wanted to do a thorough investigation of each limb. Instead, I looked for the obvious, removed it and I did spray the Trifecta spray I got even though it was raining. I figured hopefully it would get a chance to kill something before the rain rinsed it off. I am flash drying a bud now and waiting for my husband to get home so he can be the guinea pig to see if I should harvest early.

If you are really worried about it rotting I'd recommend pulling with the rain. Trichromes are ready for consumption pretty quickly. This year my OG Kush was the first to start having issues. Cutting back to the nodes actually got me an extra ounce or so.

Back
Top Bottom