Fanleaf's Huge 42 COB Array Build Plus Other Builds

The charts i meant were about PPFD per Watt at 12 inches. In that the 3590 was in the middle. No binning info :/ its somewhere arround here in the diy or grow lighting section. Anyway i have no data on LM per Watt or any proof that the people claiming they have over 200lm/w told the truth and how they test it.

Yeah i just saw you typing somewhere you have the biggest, best and efficient DIY light anywhere in the world and i just thought...ouuuukay. :) sounded just a lilbit cocky because i think if money wouldnt be a Problem and it was legal to grow in this scale everywhere you would be surprised what others could do. you dont need to be a scientist for that, just money and time for reading/planning/building. But i dont wanted to put the thread down at all. All good. Nice lights and controlls. I respect your work dude.

I was curious. How did you go about figuring how many lights you needed. Is there a formula like 1 light can cover 1.5 c/ft? Like I said I'm building my own as well. But have a small grow space. And trying to figure out how many LED's is enough and how much is too much.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I was curious. How did you go about figuring how many lights you needed. Is there a formula like 1 light can cover 1.5 c/ft? Like I said I'm building my own as well. But have a small grow space. And trying to figure out how many LED's is enough and how much is too much.

Im not really aware of a formula however Im pretty sure there is one somewhere. What I do know is that formula would depend on how hard or soft you plan to drive them. I also know that if you want to run them really soft then about 1 chip per square foot allows you to not only run them really soft but allows you to drop the lights really close to the canopy where great par levels will still be.
I do really like your question though because for some people let's say in a 4x4 tent would be curious as to how few they could get away with and still get amazing levels of par.
I too must admit that I am very curious that if one of these chips are ran at say 80-90w what type of core coverage can be obtained.
Maybe that is a test I can do for you guys if a few of you are interested. I can take one chip and run it at say 80 Watts and do some par testing.

Sent from my android from outer space!

That would be a cool idea fanleaf. I think most people try to go with fewer COBs because of the cost of entry. Many will forget about the power savings they can get from running more COBs on a lower wattage. I am enjoying the thread and look forward to your experiments.

I will do it. I would be glad to test out the capability of one single chip. I just know from some real world experience not on paper that 1 per square foot does an amazing job for efficiency. With the 25 chip array that I'm running in my current room it is a proven winner so I based this new light to be very similar. I'm actually standing with my phone in one hand and some tools in my other hand because I'm wiring in my 20 amp Breakers now so we can do some serious par testing. Like I said I will be glad to test a single one because I am very curious as well. You don't have to build a super elaborate array like mine to get really really good power efficiency and amazing plants. I just go to an extreme sometimes I guess LOL

I can tell you this though. This is fact. I have ran the Chinese LED's. I have ran very very expensive similar based LED's and hps.
There is no comparison between any of those and these cob arrays. None.

Sitting here at my work bench looking at this thing. I have good breakers wired in for the array now.
Par/ppfd test video coming soon.
420-magazine-mobile236619828.jpg

Anyone wanna follow a cree cxb 3590 42 cob superpanel build?

Impressive I must say. And looking forward to your tests.

So if you curious I had planned on running this kit from rapid LED.
10 Solderless LED Low Profile Rooting Kit - Rapid LED
It's cheap, it's got quality parts. It's a super low profile. For my micro ass spaces. 24" High 24" Wide 12" Deep. I had planned on modifying the heat sinks and fabbing my own brackets at work. Probably weld the heat sinks to some 1x1x1/8" aluminum notched to fit the poles.

I know it's small but it's all I have to my disposal. But what I was trying to figure out is if your big boy COBs could cover a certain area I could cut the numbers down and see how much par I would need for myself.
I'm stuck between getting 2 kits and running them switched so I can run them independently. One for seed/ early veg. Than turn on the second and nuke the plant. Or would that just be overkill.

Edit Growmau5 did a vid on this kit. I think somewhere in there he says 2 can take a 2x2 from seed to flower. But he suggested 3.

Impressive I must say. And looking forward to your tests.

So if you curious I had planned on running this kit from rapid LED.
10 Solderless LED Low Profile Rooting Kit - Rapid LED
It's cheap, it's got quality parts. It's a super low profile. For my micro ass spaces. 24" High 24" Wide 12" Deep. I had planned on modifying the heat sinks and fabbing my own brackets at work. Probably weld the heat sinks to some 1x1x1/8" aluminum notched to fit the poles.

I know it's small but it's all I have to my disposal. But what I was trying to figure out is if your big boy COBs could cover a certain area I could cut the numbers down and see how much par I would need for myself.
I'm stuck between getting 2 kits and running them switched so I can run them independently. One for seed/ early veg. Than turn on the second and nuke the plant. Or would that just be overkill.

Very cool kits man! You would need 2 of them in your space for sure though. 1 would be enough to veg on but no go in flower. 2 would be perfect. That is $200 though. For less $$ you could do 1 3500k 3590 and have enough power to veg and flower. If you could swing 2 3500k's and a driver you would be able to do exactly what I do but on a smaller scale. 2 chips would be 1 per square foot. Run with no lense or reflector in your box and run them soft and cool. That would be between $200 and $250 probably. Then you could dim them to about 35 watts or so each. That would be badazz.
Thin flat heatsink for 2 chips is fairly cheap too. Still be really low profile.

Anyone wanna follow a cree cxb 3590 42 cob superpanel build?

I have been considering them seymore.
I was going to express here as I did in your thread. I'm all for running a bigger chip and dimming it down. I would prefer that over the other setup.
But I feel that I need to have a more diffused light pattern. I feel like one chip in the middle of the box would give me a serious hot spot. As to where 20 smaller chips spread across the ceiling would get me a better more even covering. I only have a 14-16" useable area to work with. So there is little to no room for the light to cone out and dissipate.
It seriously blows working with such a small box. But this is life until I purchase a house.

Im not really aware of a formula however Im pretty sure there is one somewhere. What I do know is that formula would depend on how hard or soft you plan to drive them. I also know that if you want to run them really soft then about 1 chip per square foot allows you to not only run them really soft but allows you to drop the lights really close to the canopy where great par levels will still be.
I do really like your question though because for some people let's say in a 4x4 tent would be curious as to how few they could get away with and still get amazing levels of par.
I too must admit that I am very curious that if one of these chips are ran at say 80-90w what type of core coverage can be obtained.
Maybe that is a test I can do for you guys if a few of you are interested. I can take one chip and run it at say 80 Watts and do some par testing.

Yes that'd be awesome

"carpe diem"

Going for 4 chips could solve that problem. Without reflectors like fanleaf said. They all seem to have almost 180 degree light output, maybe 160. Is it possible to just have the chips inside your box and the heatsinks stickin out of your ceiling? With a robust low Profile fixture you can put on top of your tent. Maybe cut some parts out of the top and sealing it when youre done. This way you maybe end up with only half an inch inside

I have been considering them seymore.
I was going to express here as I did in your thread. I'm all for running a bigger chip and dimming it down. I would prefer that over the other setup.
But I feel that I need to have a more diffused light pattern. I feel like one chip in the middle of the box would give me a serious hot spot. As to where 20 smaller chips spread across the ceiling would get me a better more even covering. I only have a 14-16" useable area to work with. So there is little to no room for the light to cone out and dissipate.
It seriously blows working with such a small box. But this is life until I purchase a house.

I really think 2 chips with no reflectors or lenses wouldn't have hot spots. If placed in the center of your ceiling there would only be about 6" on each side to the wall if I am imagining your space right. 20 small 3w or 5w chips may cover it slightly more evenly but won't be near the cobs efficiency. You would create more heat watts with the 20 chips. In small spaces that's always an issue.

Going for 4 chips could solve that problem. Without reflectors like fanleaf said. They all seem to have almost 180 degree light output, maybe 160. Is it possible to just have the chips inside your box and the heatsinks stickin out of your ceiling? With a robust low Profile fixture you can put on top of your tent. Maybe cut some parts out of the top and sealing it when youre done. This way you maybe end up with only half an inch inside

Hey Seymore. What driver would you use to power 4-6 of those 1825's in series? Being 50V chips with a min of 47.8 to turn them on. That may be a challenge or get really expensive in drivers. Is there a driver that will power 6 in series?

Back
Top Bottom