Emmy Finally Goes Auto, Convinced Because Of Its Name!

Has anyone done a definitive transplant thread?
I'll take note of that intense sunlight tip, cheers.

j
There is no definitive study because no one would agree with the results. There would always be someone that pulled out a white paper explaining this or that, the soil folks wouldn't agree with the coco people, and then someone would wander off into the weeds describing the best containers to use or how to water them.

I just go with what is probably centuries of experience that we humans have gathered on how to grow plants in a container. We know that we restrict the size of the container in order to force the plant to grow a rootball, and we know that a plant forced to do so has better roots than a plant naturally growing, and we know that by doing this several times, we can most definitely end up with vastly superior roots than the plant would do by itself. That in itself is enough to convince me.

Regarding autos.... a plant is a plant is a plant... what logical reason could there be to treat an auto any differently?

There is no definitive study because no one would agree with the results. There would always be someone that pulled out a white paper explaining this or that, the soil folks wouldn't agree with the coco people, and then someone would wander off into the weeds describing the best containers to use or how to water them.

I just go with what is probably centuries of experience that we humans have gathered on how to grow plants in a container. We know that we restrict the size of the container in order to force the plant to grow a rootball, and we know that a plant forced to do so has better roots than a plant naturally growing, and we know that by doing this several times, we can most definitely end up with vastly superior roots than the plant would do by itself. That in itself is enough to convince me.

Regarding autos.... a plant is a plant is a plant... what logical reason could there be to treat an auto any differently?
I have 2Tangie Matic that I didn’t stunt but are Pygmy’s.What is your thoughts on starting grow nutes in the first 2 weeks?

I have 2Tangie Matic that I didn’t stunt but are Pygmy’s.What is your thoughts on starting grow nutes in the first 2 weeks?
That question has a tricky answer. I am growing organically and by that I mean that the microbes and the roots are working together in order to decide how much nutrient the plants need. I have nothing to do with this process once it starts, I just water. So growing with @GeoFlora Nutrients, I am confident in applying the first "feed" just days after the plant is above soil, and I did that with this one. They got a full dose of what would normally be applied to a container of that size, and that advice was not qualified by whether it was an auto or not.

The problem with an Auto is that it is going to stall out in that first week and during that pause it is not going to want water or nutes. In my case, I water only when the plant has earned it by draining the cup, so I stopped watering when the pause occurred. The microbes were likely not getting notifications from the roots to bring them anything, so the organic feeding cycle stopped too. I didn't disturb my plant during that pause.

Someone watering on a schedule and not noticing the pause could easily water excessively during this time, and if that also included nutes, could probably overfeed too. I would say that there is a lot of truth in the warnings you hear about watering and feeding Autos very lightly, at least at first. Once the pause is over I see no logical reason to feed lightly any more and as a matter of fact I think the opposite is true. As fast as an Auto takes off after the pause, it makes sense that she would need a LOT of nutes and could probably process the full amount recommended on a feeding schedule with ease.

2 weeks is a very arbitrary time period, and I see no logical reason at all to ever wait 2 weeks to feed any plant. You use fertilizer to make your plants bigger than they would naturally grow in a good soil. Waiting to apply that fertilizer is simply wasting time, time that the plant could have been growing much faster. What are you waiting for, a sign? You are in charge of your garden and your plant's growth. Garden like a boss. Don't be afraid of your fertilizer. Grow big plants.

The problem with an Auto is that it is going to stall out in that first week and during that pause
Someone watering on a schedule and not noticing the pause

Where can I find more info on this stall/pause? Google gave me info on stunted plants so it must go by another name?

What exactly is going on during that phase and why is it an auto thing?

Sorry for the probing questions but I like to gain in-depth understandings behind these things.

j

Where can I find more info on this stall/pause? Google gave me info on stunted plants so it must go by another name?

What exactly is going on during that phase and why is it an auto thing?

Sorry for the probing questions but I like to gain in-depth understandings behind these things.

j
Google can only show you what has been put in there and it is debatable whether it has all the latest information. I might even be breaking new ground with my thoughts and observations and if so I hope Google catches up with me someday.
It wasn't a week ago that I explained my theory regarding the pause and the reason it occurs. Please scroll up to find it.

That question has a tricky answer. I am growing organically and by that I mean that the microbes and the roots are working together in order to decide how much nutrient the plants need. I have nothing to do with this process once it starts, I just water. So growing with @GeoFlora Nutrients, I am confident in applying the first "feed" just days after the plant is above soil, and I did that with this one. They got a full dose of what would normally be applied to a container of that size, and that advice was not qualified by whether it was an auto or not.

The problem with an Auto is that it is going to stall out in that first week and during that pause it is not going to want water or nutes. In my case, I water only when the plant has earned it by draining the cup, so I stopped watering when the pause occurred. The microbes were likely not getting notifications from the roots to bring them anything, so the organic feeding cycle stopped too. I didn't disturb my plant during that pause.

Someone watering on a schedule and not noticing the pause could easily water excessively during this time, and if that also included nutes, could probably overfeed too. I would say that there is a lot of truth in the warnings you hear about watering and feeding Autos very lightly, at least at first. Once the pause is over I see no logical reason to feed lightly any more and as a matter of fact I think the opposite is true. As fast as an Auto takes off after the pause, it makes sense that she would need a LOT of nutes and could probably process the full amount recommended on a feeding schedule with ease.

2 weeks is a very arbitrary time period, and I see no logical reason at all to ever wait 2 weeks to feed any plant. You use fertilizer to make your plants bigger than they would naturally grow in a good soil. Waiting to apply that fertilizer is simply wasting time, time that the plant could have been growing much faster. What are you waiting for, a sign? You are in charge of your garden and your plant's growth. Garden like a boss. Don't be afraid of your fertilizer. Grow big plants.
That makes sense, when I said 2 weeks I should’ve said as soon as she showed sign that she is using more water if then using nutes. Thanks Em

In the evening the red lights appear again on the natural horizon, and if the plants can see about 10 minutes of this as the light is slipping away, they know that night time is approaching, and they quickly get into the night time mode.

Have to ask if it's detrimental to those growing indoors/outdoors shifting from outdoors at dawn/dusk to indoors during winter, say.

Similarly, does providing intermittent on/off light throughout the day, two sleep periods for example, rather than solid blocks of day and night affect the plant differently?

j

Have to ask if it's detrimental to those growing indoors/outdoors shifting from outdoors at dawn/dusk to indoors during winter, say.

Similarly, does providing intermittent on/off light throughout the day, two sleep periods for example, rather than solid blocks of day and night affect the plant differently?

j
That is a very complicated question and one that deserves a lot more research than me quickly answering your question. Any big shift can be detrimental, depending also whether you are in veg or bloom. As far as multiple blocks during the day, research the gas lantern routine of light control, but I have no idea how an Auto would react to it.

Same here. Repotting 3 times. I could go 4 next time. Everyone was like oh it's an auto 1-3 gallon. Psht. Now they're over 4ft tall, can you see that baby ass pot holding all that up. Let alone all the extra work involved in watering 5 times a day.

They found a home in 5 gallon fabric.

I feel starting a seed in a 5gal is stupid. But so many do it, so maybe I'm stupid.

I consider it bonding time!
Well, I wouldn’t go as far as stupid. It’s easier and less work for lots of folks. I’ve done it just to test my watering game, in soil. Started a seed from scratch in a 7. Grew the roots out and it was big and gave me around 6-7 ounces…but had I up potted a solid root ball three times would it have been bigger and better? I’m betting it would be, so I’m with you, up pot the crap out of them! Lmao.

That is a very complicated question and one that deserves a lot more research than me quickly answering your question. Any big shift can be detrimental, depending also whether you are in veg or bloom. As far as multiple blocks during the day, research the gas lantern routine of light control, but I have no idea how an Auto would react to it.
If I may - I have done the indoor/outdoor thing and imho the biggest change the plant has to deal with, assuming you can pretty much duplicate the environment outside of course, is the change from natural sun to LED. IMO the environment change is immaterial to the plant, but they definitely notice and react to the change in light. That said, I’ve found it wise to go with lower lighting at first on the switch for a couple days and then bring it up to level after that. Just me, I cannot prove this is wise, lol. This would apply to both photos and autos.

The other question, about breaking up the light intervals, is an interesting one. I’ve also wondered this. I don’t know, but my logic says as long as they get their DLI satisfied it doesn’t matter how, but @InTheShed is a DLI guy, he’d know. To break them up also messes up the use of the average timer, lol. My personal feeling is it wouldn’t be worth the hassle, but that’s just me and I can be persuaded with facts!

Hope some of that helps.

Every day she gets more beautiful. I am only starting to see a few ambers at the top, but still there are white pistils and still most of the trichomes are cloudy. We are at day 79.

DSCF1487.JPG

DSCF1486.JPG

DSCF1485.JPG

DSCF1484.JPG

DSCF1483.JPG

DSCF1482.JPG

DSCF1480.JPG

DSCF1478.JPG

Every day she gets more beautiful. I am only starting to see a few ambers at the top, but still there are white pistils and still most of the trichomes are cloudy. We are at day 79.

DSCF1487.JPG

DSCF1486.JPG

DSCF1485.JPG

DSCF1484.JPG

DSCF1483.JPG

DSCF1482.JPG

DSCF1480.JPG

DSCF1478.JPG
My god. The colas are incredible. Even I’m surprised they’ve gotten this fat and tall. Wow. What a first auto. Too bad you’re permanently spoiled now since you started with the most insane auto genetic there is. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My god. The colas are incredible. Even I’m surprised they’ve gotten this fat and tall. Wow. What a first auto. Too bad you’re permanently spoiled now since you started with the most insane auto genetic there is. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Also it’s worth noting the consistency of this particular strain. Despite being trained very differently, my Banana Sherbet has grown exactly the same way as yours and has kept to almost the exact same timing and growth patterns. Phenotype realities aside, it speaks to the stability of the XXL genetics. Another current example is my current Watermelon WeddingCake. It’s being trained differently, but even with that and a different light, it’s identical to the last one. I’m impressed. Stability rules. Small pool to gauge from I know, but plusses are plusses.

Thought: might you move the auto to the bloom tent for part of her day to let her take advantage of either the morning or evening red light treatment? By moving it around you could take advantage of one end of that, no?

I am curious how my next 2 autos do. It might be the xxl genetics, but I am convinced that equal credit must go to @GeoFlora Nutrients , @DYNOMYCO and my @NextLight 420h that is only running 50%. The plants really seem to love this light!

That’s one gorgeous looking lady. Bravo Em.

Back
Top Bottom