Emmy Finally Goes Auto, Convinced Because Of Its Name!

Btw - the first week lag thing? It’s not just soil, and it’s not just the XXL genetic. More of them do it than not, although not all. To test this I popped a regular auto, a White Widow, in a Solo of coco. It has behaved exactly the same. Pop > lag time > explode. The Forbidden Runtz and Watermelon WeddingCake also both acted this way, although they’re going nuts now. It’s an odd thing. I like to think of it as them prepping themselves for the explosion in that lag time. Storing energy.
Over the years I have noticed this about Autos. Even not growing one myself, I could deduce from the trouble calls coming into the forum that Autos tended to stall out at some point in the grow... too many people reported on this for it to be otherwise.

Growing my own, and monitoring water usage as I do, it was obvious that the plant was stalled after that first week... she was just sitting there, not even drinking water. You all reassured me that this was normal, so I just sat back and watched, not watering for quite a long time for a plant still in the solo cup. Sure enough, she came out of it and started her first growth spurt.

It would be an interesting study to find out what is actually going on during that stall week. I think the roots were growing, but not the top. My theory is that this comes from the N. Latitude genes in her and that these cold climate plants in order to survive the cold and wind, have evolved into developing their root system first so that there is a good bit of the plant growing safe underground, before the plant up top has to develop strongly and quickly despite the weather. It would be fun to prove that hypothesis to be true, but for now it is just a guess. I am excited to run some more Autos so I can observe whether or not this is a normal feature of Auto plants.

Mine forgot to do that part!!! :hmmmm:
The key to that I think is to stop watering. If she ain't going to do anything, then you shouldnt either. I forget without looking, but I think we went 11 days without watering during that period, because I refused to overwater until she could earn it by draining the cup.

I am going to do a series of pictures tomorrow morning. She will be sitting at exactly 6 weeks of bloom, counted from the very first pistil spotted.

I hate how autos are listed when it comes to bloom time, they apparently are not.

1. One site says she will go 56-90 days, a full 34 day window. This wide harvest window is totally confusing.
  2. Another site is more specific and says that Banana Sherbet Double XL will go 11+ weeks. They don't specify if this is bloom time or time above ground.
  3. Then another site, names the strain a little differently and calls it Double XL Banana Sherbet, and get this, they specifically say that it will go ±70 days from the seedling to the harvest. Seedling to harvest? This of course is listed as "bloom time" in the Auto world.

Tomorrow we will be at 74 days from hitting the top of the soil, or 10 weeks and 4 days.

I am thinking that she is looking to be almost done... maybe another week for 95% of the pistils to turn. In a week she will be 49 days in bloom, or 7 weeks. She will be 81 days above ground or 11 weeks and 4 days. I think according to each of the descriptions above, all of the confusing numbers say she will be ready at that time. Site #3 says she could be ready today, and I can see why some would think that, especially those who like a few white pistils and cloudy trichomes.

Pictures of the buds and macro pics of the buds are forthcoming. I will present all of the evidence tomorrow.

The key to that I think is to stop watering. If she ain't going to do anything, then you shouldnt either. I forget without looking, but I think we went 11 days without watering during that period, because I refused to overwater until she could earn it by draining the cup.
I went back to look. I watered her on June 2 and other than little dribs and drabs down the middle at first and then along the edges every 3 days or so, she wasn't watered again until June 13th, 11 days later. I make my plants work for a living, even an Auto.

Watering has been a "funny business" with my two little runts as they are in the ground but in raised hoops. I'm going to raise these hoops up by about a foot for next year - (Look at me planning ahead at my age!!!) - I'm wondering if they have wetter feet than they like. The photos that have grew there in the past didn't mind but I think it would give me a bit more latitude for adding water for fertilizing etc.
Another down side - I gotta get down on my hands and knees to check the trichs, dammitt !!!
Who's gonna get me back up????? :thedoubletake: :ciao::nervous-guy::rofl:

Watering has been a "funny business" with my two little runts as they are in the ground but in raised hoops. I'm going to raise these hoops up by about a foot for next year - (Look at me planning ahead at my age!!!) - I'm wondering if they have wetter feet than they like. The photos that have grew there in the past didn't mind but I think it would give me a bit more latitude for adding water for fertilizing etc.
Another down side - I gotta get down on my hands and knees to check the trichs, dammitt !!!
Who's gonna get me back up????? :thedoubletake: :ciao::nervous-guy::rofl:
I tweaked my back lifting a Hempy pot if I was on the ground it would take a crane to get me back up.

Over the years I have noticed this about Autos. Even not growing one myself, I could deduce from the trouble calls coming into the forum that Autos tended to stall out at some point in the grow... too many people reported on this for it to be otherwise.

Growing my own, and monitoring water usage as I do, it was obvious that the plant was stalled after that first week... she was just sitting there, not even drinking water. You all reassured me that this was normal, so I just sat back and watched, not watering for quite a long time for a plant still in the solo cup. Sure enough, she came out of it and started her first growth spurt.

It would be an interesting study to find out what is actually going on during that stall week. I think the roots were growing, but not the top. My theory is that this comes from the N. Latitude genes in her and that these cold climate plants in order to survive the cold and wind, have evolved into developing their root system first so that there is a good bit of the plant growing safe underground, before the plant up top has to develop strongly and quickly despite the weather. It would be fun to prove that hypothesis to be true, but for now it is just a guess. I am excited to run some more Autos so I can observe whether or not this is a normal feature of Auto plants.
I agree with the roots are growing but not the top part.

I am going to do a series of pictures tomorrow morning. She will be sitting at exactly 6 weeks of bloom, counted from the very first pistil spotted.

I hate how autos are listed when it comes to bloom time, they apparently are not.

1. One site says she will go 56-90 days, a full 34 day window. This wide harvest window is totally confusing.
  2. Another site is more specific and says that Banana Sherbet Double XL will go 11+ weeks. They don't specify if this is bloom time or time above ground.
  3. Then another site, names the strain a little differently and calls it Double XL Banana Sherbet, and get this, they specifically say that it will go ±70 days from the seedling to the harvest. Seedling to harvest? This of course is listed as "bloom time" in the Auto world.

Tomorrow we will be at 74 days from hitting the top of the soil, or 10 weeks and 4 days.

I am thinking that she is looking to be almost done... maybe another week for 95% of the pistils to turn. In a week she will be 49 days in bloom, or 7 weeks. She will be 81 days above ground or 11 weeks and 4 days. I think according to each of the descriptions above, all of the confusing numbers say she will be ready at that time. Site #3 says she could be ready today, and I can see why some would think that, especially those who like a few white pistils and cloudy trichomes.

Pictures of the buds and macro pics of the buds are forthcoming. I will present all of the evidence tomorrow.
This is easy. She’s ready when the trichomes tell you so. Forget the breeder info, it’s practically irrelevant. Titan was supposed to be 11 weeks from seed to harvest. She went 104.

This is easy. She’s ready when the trichomes tell you so. Forget the breeder info, it’s practically irrelevant. Titan was supposed to be 11 weeks from seed to harvest. She went 104.
My six strain outdoor grow is showing me the absolute truth in your post here Jon.

Theres so many variables that will effect an auto plant. Autos are by their very nature (in this part of the cannabis timeline) truly "Chaotic Neutral".

Each individual plant is an individual plant (within given genetic spectrums etc).

My six strain outdoor grow is showing me the absolute truth in your post here Jon.

Theres so many variables that will effect an auto plant. Autos are by their very nature (in this part of the cannabis timeline) truly "Chaotic Neutral".

Each individual plant is an individual plant (within given genetic spectrums etc).
I find autos very rarely follow breeder info. Certainly at a lower rate than photos. Photos are far more predictable in my opinion.

I find autos very rarely follow breeder info. Certainly at a lower rate than photos. Photos are far more predictable in my opinion.
Which is one of the both fun and maddening things about the suckers!

Which is one of the both fun and maddening things about the suckers!
Im loving it. They just kind of have attitudes. Like not bad but just 'tude.. chutzpah.

Of course this is just me being a newbie again and all but holy cow compared to growing photos of NL5 x Haze back in early 90s, they were just way more characteristic and stablized. :hippy:

I obviously need to meet a few more Autos then.:thumb:
Its of my firmest belief that you can get any auto to absolutely sing (work) for you. This thread like I said a few days back is incredibly inspirational.

Everyone wants you to meet more autos! :cheer:

I agree with the roots are growing but not the top part.
That’s a very interesting hypothesis. It makes a lot of sense. Em. you should write a book some day. Ya could call it Emilya’s Observations of Cannabis Growing. I’d buy a copy but only if ya signed it. Just kidding I’d buy a copy just for your knowledge. Keep up the great growing info.

Also not to be a bother but still doing an update today? Its kind of like waiting for the next episode in a favourite series :)
sorry, yes, had a couple of things get in the way, but I am getting ready to do that soon and then I will get that report out. Glad you are anxiously awaiting it!

Curious to know, did you put it in the final container or will you be using your watering method and transplanting?

j
Hi J...
we are already at the tail end of this grow, but to answer you, I would never start off in my final container. I believe the internet rumor that transplanting will stunt an Auto is a myth, and in actual practice I had no trouble at all transplanting my plant... it actually caused a growth spurt and did NOT immediately send the plant into flower.

Back
Top Bottom