Emmy Finally Goes Auto, Convinced Because Of Its Name!

After careful and thorough examination of our XXL, I have determined that she is not yet ready. She is definitely getting there, but for now we have no news of a harvest to announce.

First, due to the number of pictures, we will start with the micro shots. I did run into a few ambers in some of the buds about mid way to the top, but a couple of clusters didn't impress me. In these shots you can see lots of milky and still more clear trichomes than I would like.

2022_08_12_17_15_12_720.jpg
2022_08_12_17_21_03_263.jpg
2022_08_12_17_21_41_409.jpg
2022_08_12_17_22_30_348.jpg
2022_08_12_17_24_07_032.jpg
2022_08_12_17_31_23_215.jpg
2022_08_12_17_31_29_257.jpg
2022_08_12_17_31_57_972.jpg

Hi J...
it actually caused a growth spurt and did NOT immediately send the plant into flower.

Thanks.

I actually haven't heard that it will immediately send the plant into flower but have heard many times that it will stunt the growth with each transplant, a.k.a, 'transplant shock'.

Hence the mindset of not transplanting since auto's have a limited/set time before they flower rather than relying on light cycles, it would make sense that avoiding stunt periods would give you maximum growth before flower.

I may look into autos myself, so how many times did you transplant till you got to the final container?

j

Thanks.

I actually haven't heard that it will immediately send the plant into flower but have heard many times that it will stunt the growth with each transplant, a.k.a, 'transplant shock'.

Hence the mindset of not transplanting since auto's have a limited/set time before they flower rather than relying on light cycles, it would make sense that avoiding stunt periods would give you maximum growth before flower.

So how many times did you transplant till you got to the final container?

j
just once, from solo to 5 gallon, and contrary to everything you have heard, there is absolutely no reason that a transplant would cause shock and stunt growth. I believe that a vast majority of people seeing stunting in their Auto, #1 don't understand that there is a built in stall in the Auto that isn't there in its photoperiod cousins, and #2, probably caused stunting by not understanding the water needs of this plant during that stall period, and they end up overwatering, further stunting the plant, oftentimes permanently.

there is absolutely no reason that a transplant would cause shock and stunt growth. I believe that a vast majority of people seeing stunting in their Auto....

Cheers.

It's actually not a term limited to autos; transplant shock is a common term among gardeners, have read it from many sources over the years applying to all sorts of plants so I guess cannabis growers just took on the terminology.

j

Cheers.

It's actually not a term limited to autos; transplant shock is a common term among gardeners, have read it from many sources over the years applying to all sorts of plants so I guess cannabis growers just took on the terminology.

j
Jaz,
There is no need to ever shock a plant upon transplant. Sure, it can be done and stunting can be seen when it happens, but 99.99% of the time, even a semi experienced grower of weeds will never shock their plants by transplanting them, and most times a growth spurt is seen when the plant is put into a bigger pot with fresh soil, There is no reason for this not to happen.

No, what you are reading from many sources is the myth that has sprung up around this, giving excuse to the many growers out there starting these rumors who had troubles with their plants, and to blame it on anything other than themselves and maybe their watering habits, they blame the transplant.

We have even developed a very popular method of transplanting where a hole is made in the soil in a larger container, exactly the size and shape as the smaller container the plant is about to come out of. It is very easy to slip the plant out of the first container and neatly drop it in the hole made just for it in pre-moistened soil. What exactly is there not to like about this? The plant probably doesn't even realize it has been moved at first, until it finds the fresh soil.

To sum up, unless you try to stress out a plant when transplanting, it really is difficult to do. All the things you have been reading about this are a myth, and what we like to call bro-science. I don't think that I can ever recall stressing a plant in this way... it just doesn't happen in this world. If you are an arborist, and you are transplanting trees with 50 foot root systems, then yes... transplant shock is a real thing. Here in the weed growing world, not so much.

probably caused stunting by not understanding the water needs of this plant during that stall period, and they end up overwatering, further stunting the plant, oftentimes permanently.

thanks.

One thing that intrigues me is this 'permanent stunting'.

What exactly is going on there?

Recently a member posted a pic of his three month old seedling which was about an inch tall, I've seen quite a few online examples of similar and have experienced this once or twice myself when plants alongside the stunted one thrive unhindered and yes it seems like it's permanent.

Are such stunted plants possible to be revived and continue to grow somehow?

j

Jaz,
There is no need to ever shock a plant upon transplant. Sure, it can be done and stunting can be seen when it happens, but 99.99% of the time, even a semi experienced grower of weeds will never shock their plants by transplanting them, and most times a growth spurt is seen when the plant is put into a bigger pot with fresh soil, There is no reason for this not to happen.

No, what you are reading from many sources is the myth that has sprung up around this, giving excuse to the many growers out there starting these rumors who had troubles with their plants, and to blame it on anything other than themselves and maybe their watering habits, they blame the transplant.

We have even developed a very popular method of transplanting where a hole is made in the soil in a larger container, exactly the size and shape as the smaller container the plant is about to come out of. It is very easy to slip the plant out of the first container and neatly drop it in the hole made just for it in pre-moistened soil. What exactly is there not to like about this? The plant probably doesn't even realize it has been moved at first, until it finds the fresh soil.

To sum up, unless you try to stress out a plant when transplanting, it really is difficult to do. All the things you have been reading about this are a myth, and what we like to call bro-science. I don't think that I can ever recall stressing a plant in this way... it just doesn't happen in this world. If you are an arborist, and you are transplanting trees with 50 foot root systems, then yes... transplant shock is a real thing. Here in the weed growing world, not so much.
I’m new to this and what I do know is Em.s watering system works and I transplanted 3 auto’s +1 photo with no problem. When removed from the solos there were roots everywhere (Thanks Em.)and all I did was like Em said made a hole in the up pot as big as rootball moisten hole +roots covered both with Myco and kept out of intense sunlight for a couple of days. No problems.

thanks.

One thing that intrigues me is this 'permanent stunting'.

What exactly is going on there?

Recently a member posted a pic of his three month old seedling which was about an inch tall, I've seen quite a few online examples of similar and have experienced this once or twice myself when plants alongside the stunted one thrive unhindered and yes it seems like it's permanent.

Are such stunted plants possible to be revived and continue to grow somehow?

j
doubt it. If the problem is caused by excessive watering as I suspect it is, then the root system can be damaged to such a point that the plant can not recover in its shorter time to live and all that, and plants damaged in such a way and with substandard root systems, would likely be permanently limited in what they could do height wise, yield wise or any other parameter.

Another branch got so heavy overnight that gravity dragged it down to rest on the smaller plants below it.

DSCF1453.JPG

A third vertical leg was installed on the tomato cage, and one more horizontal brace was installed to corral the wandering branch.

DSCF1455.JPG

Every day brings her closer and closer to looking like she is done. There are less white pistils today than there were yesterday. Today she got watered, and today is her 76th day above ground.

DSCF1454.JPG

just once, from solo to 5 gallon, and contrary to everything you have heard, there is absolutely no reason that a transplant would cause shock and stunt growth. I believe that a vast majority of people seeing stunting in their Auto, #1 don't understand that there is a built in stall in the Auto that isn't there in its photoperiod cousins, and #2, probably caused stunting by not understanding the water needs of this plant during that stall period, and they end up overwatering, further stunting the plant, oftentimes permanently.
For what it’s worth, I am currently testing this exact myth by up potting a White Widow auto as many times as possible. So far we went from Solo to small pot on day 11.

For what it’s worth, I am currently testing this exact myth by up potting a White Widow auto as many times as possible. So far we went from Solo to small pot on day 11.
Same here. Repotting 3 times. I could go 4 next time. Everyone was like oh it's an auto 1-3 gallon. Psht. Now they're over 4ft tall, can you see that baby ass pot holding all that up. Let alone all the extra work involved in watering 5 times a day.

They found a home in 5 gallon fabric.

I feel starting a seed in a 5gal is stupid. But so many do it, so maybe I'm stupid.

I consider it bonding time!

Another branch got so heavy overnight that gravity dragged it down to rest on the smaller plants below it.

DSCF1453.JPG

A third vertical leg was installed on the tomato cage, and one more horizontal brace was installed to corral the wandering branch.

DSCF1455.JPG

Every day brings her closer and closer to looking like she is done. There are less white pistils today than there were yesterday. Today she got watered, and today is her 76th day above ground.

DSCF1454.JPG
Very nice as usual Em.

Here we go, another day, another day closer to harvest. We are at exactly 11 weeks above ground, 50 days into bloom. Today she didn't need anything but admiring looks and compliments, and she got plenty of those from me. My eye can see her actually darkening as the trichomes start to change in the lower and middle parts of the plant, but up top she still isn't ready. There are less white pistils today than there were yesterday, but still with a loupe, I can't find any amber on the buds at the tip top. The buds are starting to foxtail a bit now as they finish up, expanding some of them out horizontally in a significant way and definitely putting on some more girth.

As a side note, I have just put 2 Fruit Punch Auto fems in water today, a couple of my prizes from @Herbies Seeds and the GJOTM contest. I sort of like the idea of growing an Auto or two in one of my underutilized Veg rooms and will keep doing it as each Auto grow finishes up. Strangely, without even trying, I have accumulated enough Auto seeds to keep this going the rest of this year.

Here are her pictures from just a couple of hours ago. Isn't she beautiful?

DSCF1473.JPG
DSCF1472.JPG
DSCF1471.JPG
DSCF1470.JPG
DSCF1469.JPG
DSCF1467.JPG

Here we go, another day, another day closer to harvest. We are at exactly 11 weeks above ground, 50 days into bloom. Today she didn't need anything but admiring looks and compliments, and she got plenty of those from me. My eye can see her actually darkening as the trichomes start to change in the lower and middle parts of the plant, but up top she still isn't ready. There are less white pistils today than there were yesterday, but still with a loupe, I can't find any amber on the buds at the tip top. The buds are starting to foxtail a bit now as they finish up, expanding some of them out horizontally in a significant way and definitely putting on some more girth.

As a side note, I have just put 2 Fruit Punch Auto fems in water today, a couple of my prizes from @Herbies Seeds and the GJOTM contest. I sort of like the idea of growing an Auto or two in one of my underutilized Veg rooms and will keep doing it as each Auto grow finishes up. Strangely, without even trying, I have accumulated enough Auto seeds to keep this going the rest of this year.

Here are her pictures from just a couple of hours ago. Isn't she beautiful?

DSCF1473.JPG
DSCF1472.JPG
DSCF1471.JPG
DSCF1470.JPG
DSCF1469.JPG
DSCF1467.JPG
Shes just busting out all over! :battingeyelashes::bravo:

Back
Top Bottom