36Gr0w's First Journal - Hi-Brix - LOS - Indoor & Out!

My theory is also when going for a true organic soil perlite must be added to this equation cause of water retention. I know some is good but I've seen such better results with plants that require daily feedings. Not a couple a week.

Explain hybrid organic/bottle soil please? Organic, by it's very definition suggests the absence of chemical additives. What's in the bottles?

On another note people bag on ocean forest for being hot. Well the only strain I had issues with was at seedling and it was jedi kush. I've done hundreds of strains and saw zero I'll effects. So I'm looking to create myself a great draining soil.

Funny I agree but I also think organic soil can have hot "spots" I've seen it in the past. And even though docs kit isn't true organic for you hippies (just kidding kinda) it can happen

When coming up with the design for my hybrid organic/bottle soil I'll be sifting all ingredients at mix. Then sift post mix into container

Hot spots in an organic soil would be from bad mixing, too much of something, or spikes/layers in the soil. I may be guilty of too much, but not the other two:high-five:

My theory is also when going for a true organic soil perlite must be added to this equation cause of water retention. I know some is good but I've seen such better results with plants that require daily feedings. Not a couple a week.

Not a fan of perlite other than the SWICK. I much prefer pumice and lava rock in LOS. It adds a mineralization element that perlite doesn't. Have you looked at CO's plants lately Dutty? He's got some right nice things happening in this soil that will never require daily feedings.

On another note people bag on ocean forest for being hot. Well the only strain I had issues with was at seedling and it was jedi kush. I've done hundreds of strains and saw zero I'll effects. So I'm looking to create myself a great draining soil.

Roots crapganic burnt the crap out of a few plants outside last year, when at the same time happy frog and ocean forest didn't. Fox farms did cook up some nice gnats for me last time I bought it though lol.

Yeah bad name.

I'm trying to get a soil that requires zero feeding till week 3 of bloom. This could save me money,time,effort, back ache etc etc.

So what I mean is a self sufficient soil for approximately 12 weeks then hit it with my magical weed steroids.

I'm thinking of this.

No nutes in veg.

Week three follow my usual schedule.
Nitrogen boost
A and b
Multi zen
Drip clean
Algen extract
Pro tekt
Optimize

Then week 4
Go straight

Bud xl
Drip clean
A and b
Algen extract

Then week 5 on add the top shooter till flush.

Hot spots in an organic soil would be from bad mixing, too much of something, or spikes/layers in the soil. I may be guilty of too much, but not the other two:high-five:

And adding too much of something becomes moot after proper cooking, assuming you didn't go completely overboard. :high-five:

isn't true organic for you hippies (just kidding kinda)
Ha haa haaa!

We are all entitled to our opinions, Dutty.

Your hybrid bottle/organic concept is synthetic in my eyes. And the inorganic chelating agents used will certainly give it the potential to burn plants. Sift well, my friend. :)

The soil food web does my sifting and my chelates are biological catalysts (enzymes). I don't think hybridizing the two methods will do any better than just using the bottles themselves.

Just my 2cents on that.

Not a fan of perlite other than the SWICK. I much prefer pumice and lava rock in LOS. It adds a mineralization element that perlite doesn't. Have you looked at CO's plants lately Dutty? He's got some right nice things happening in this soil that will never require daily feedings.

So far, and this is my very early observations, but I haven't liked the lava rock as aeration. I haven't grown with it and that is the only thing that matters of course. So far I've mixed with it, watered, stored, and observed it. The soil with just lava rock seems to compact more than with just perlite. Clumps formed around some pieces of the lava rock. Perlite seems to drain and aerate better from what I can see so far. My mix going in the swick is a combo of the two. May put the layer of lava rock on the bottom of the smart pot like I mentioned elsewhere.

I understand

I want to feed just water till week 3 of bloom by then I want just base bare ass soil hopefully and hit hard with my boosts.

I want to still water frequently cause I believe in the plants have a constant evaporation process so ideally the perlite will make that more prevalent

I may be crazy but one can dream.

As for opinions organic in my size adds tons of time and hours between prep, cook, space etc etc Im just looking for a middle ground.

Only time I go full organic with cannabis is when I retire from the industry and go hobbiest

@ 36
I haven't followed along too well, I'll have to admit. Can't remember what you had in your soil mix. Hot to the touch, well now I got ya. I wouldn't plant in it yet. Wonder what the temp of the soil is? Doesn't really matter. I bet the alfalfa is heating it up.

So far, and this is my very early observations, but I haven't liked the lava rock as aeration. I haven't grown with it and that is the only thing that matters of course. So far I've mixed with it, watered, stored, and observed it. The soil with just lava rock seems to compact more than with just perlite. Clumps formed around some pieces of the lava rock. Perlite seems to drain and aerate better from what I can see so far. My mix going in the swick is a combo of the two. May put the layer of lava rock on the bottom of the smart pot like I mentioned elsewhere.

I mentioned similar stuff way different experience though

When I first grew indoor 2001 my parents buddy talked my parents into using pumice and nothing else just that in a pot in a catch bucket. I've fucking hated it ever since.

In minor amounts it seems very nice. Minor amounts.

Dutty have you been paying attention to what CO and I are doing with this soil? You say you want a soil that will take your plants through week three of bloom. This soil mix - this Clackamas Coots mix- will take your plants from seed to harvest without anything other than water and you will be stunned with your harvest quality, and with the right environment control and lighting, quantity as well.

We're not wishing and hoping this is what our soil can do, we're proving it. We amend as we grow because we are running no-tills. This soil can be used for one run, reconditioned with another cooking and do the same thing all over again. Or you can keep the soil undisturbed and watch the soil grow stronger every cycle. The choice is yours, but the soil mix is designed to fully meet the needs of cannabis with water only. The teas and drenches are enhancements. How much easier can it be?

Yeah bad name.

I'm trying to get a soil that requires zero feeding till week 3 of bloom. This could save me money,time,effort, back ache etc etc.

So what I mean is a self sufficient soil for approximately 12 weeks then hit it with my magical weed steroids.

I'm thinking of this.

No nutes in veg.

Week three follow my usual schedule.
Nitrogen boost
A and b
Multi zen
Drip clean
Algen extract
Pro tekt
Optimize

Then week 4
Go straight

Bud xl
Drip clean
A and b
Algen extract

Then week 5 on add the top shooter till flush.

The problem with that is you go from naturally giving the plant what it wants and needs when it wants it, to force feeding it in a completely different way.

The space taken up by the unnecessary addition of lava rock in your pots could be filled with soil for roots instead. Worth considering. It will also add to the weight.

The problem with that is you go from naturally giving the plant what it wants and needs when it wants it, to force feeding it in a completely different way.

In theory yes but in my conditions I think it would work. You've seen. The only issue is initial shock but I can buffer that.

Dutty have you been paying attention to what CO and I are doing with this soil? You say you want a soil that will take your plants through week three of bloom. This soil mix - this Clackamas Coots mix- will take your plants from seed to harvest without anything other than water and you will be stunned with your harvest quality, and with the right environment control and lighting, quantity as well.

We're not wishing and hoping this is what our soil can do, we're proving it. We amend as we grow because we are running no-tills. This soil can be used for one run, reconditioned with another cooking and do the same thing all over again. Or you can keep the soil undisturbed and watch the soil grow stronger every cycle. The choice is yours, but the soil mix is designed to fully meet the needs of cannabis with water only. The teas and drenches are enhancements. How much easier can it be?

I know people affiliated with them in Portland I'll shoot them a email tonight. Is it in 1.5 cu ft bags. Im doing a Journal with coast of Maine that MassMedMan hooked up so that is an option as well

I'm open to two methods but I know house and garden fairly well.

As for opinions organic in my size adds tons of time and hours between prep, cook, space etc etc Im just looking for a middle ground.

Only time I go full organic with cannabis is when I retire from the industry and go hobbiest

Way less work than you imagine. You own a farm, in farm country. We know a nursery that will store shipments. The hard work is front loaded, but is actually easier on a larger scale.

I mentioned similar stuff way different experience though

When I first grew indoor 2001 my parents buddy talked my parents into using pumice and nothing else just that in a pot in a catch bucket. I've fucking hated it ever since.

In minor amounts it seems very nice. Minor amounts.

My mix was 1/3 pumice with rice hulls thrown in as a bonus (they turned out to be the additional 25% I needed for the SWICK). Pumice is heavier than pumice, but the mineralization aspect of pumice made it more attractive than perlite.

I'm wondering why you believe that this easy to mix and easy to amend soil wouldn't work in a commercial grow? I would think that a series of well-managed no-tills would save major time and money.

Back
Top Bottom