36Gr0w's First Journal - Hi-Brix - LOS - Indoor & Out!

Hey Co, I'll try to keep that in mind, and I totally agree! I just do it because it is easy and no one has seemed to mind. I'll do my best to turn some lights off at times when I take average at best pics on my phone lol.

Chronic, I'm hoping to designate a small area to foliar/pics outside the tents. Easier cleanup and possibly better (or wet) backdrop.

Do post lots of info on how you do this 36. I need to do the same thing if I start with foliars. Although I was reading from the beginning of the Q&A and Doc mentioned once that foliars aren't as effective with LOS. I'll look more deeply into this. I was thinking some type of portable shower stall. It's still brewing in the back of my brain.

This came today. Should last a while(Maybe).
20150318_174516-1.jpg

Cytokins

Nature of Cytokinins

Cytokinins are compounds with a structure resembling adenine which promote cell division and have other similar functions to kinetin. Kinetin was the first cytokinin discovered and so named because of the compounds ability to promote cytokinesis (cell division). Though it is a natural compound, It is not made in plants, and is therefore usually considered a "synthetic" cytokinin (meaning that the hormone is synthesized somewhere other than in a plant). The most common form of naturally occurring cytokinin in plants today is called zeatin which was isolated from corn (Zea mays).

Cytokinins have been found in almost all higher plants as well as mosses, fungi, bacteria, and also in tRNA of many prokaryotes and eukaryotes. Today there are more than 200 natural and synthetic cytokinins combined. Cytokinin concentrations are highest in meristematic regions and areas of continuous growth potential such as roots, young leaves, developing fruits, and seeds (Arteca, 1996; Mauseth, 1991; Raven, 1992; Salisbury and Ross, 1992).

History of Cytokinins

In 1913, Gottlieb Haberlandt discovered that a compound found in phloem had the ability to stimulate cell division (Haberlandt, 1913). In 1941, Johannes van Overbeek discovered that the milky endosperm from coconut also had this ability. He also showed that various other plant species had compounds which stimulated cell division (van Overbeek, 1941). In 1954, Jablonski and Skoog extended the work of Haberlandt showing that vascular tissues contained compounds which promote cell division (Jablonski and Skoog, 1954). The first cytokinin was isolated from herring sperm in 1955 by Miller and his associates (Miller et al., 1955). This compound was named kinetin because of its ability to promote cytokinesis. Hall and deRopp reported that kinetin could be formed from DNA degradation products in 1955 (Hall and deRopp, 1955). The first naturally occurring cytokinin was isolated from corn in 1961 by Miller (Miller, 1961). It was later called zeatin. Almost simultaneous with Miller Letham published a report on zeatin as a factor inducing cell division and later described its chemical properties (Letham, 1963). It is Miller and Letham that are credited with the simultaneous discovery of zeatin. Since that time, many more naturally occurring cytokinins have been isolated and the compound is ubiquitous to all plant species in one form or another (Arteca, 1996; Salisbury and Ross, 1992).

Biosynthesis and Metabolism of Cytokinins

Cytokinin is generally found in higher concentrations in meristematic regions and growing tissues. They are believed to be synthesized in the roots and translocated via the xylem to shoots. Cytokinin biosynthesis happens through the biochemical modification of adenine. The process by which they are synthesized is as follows (McGaw, 1995; Salisbury and Ross, 1992):

A product of the mevalonate pathway called isopentyl pyrophosphate is isomerized.
This isomer can then react with adenosine monophosphate with the aid of an enzyme called isopentenyl AMP synthase.
The result is isopentenyl adenosine-5'-phosphate (isopentenyl AMP).
This product can then be converted to isopentenyl adenosine by removal of the phosphate by a phosphatase and further converted to isopentenyl adenine by removal of the ribose group.
Isopentenyl adenine can be converted to the three major forms of naturally occurring cytokinins.
Other pathways or slight alterations of this one probably lead to the other forms.
Degradation of cytokinins occurs largely due to the enzyme cytokinin oxidase. This enzyme removes the side chain and releases adenine. Derivitives can also be made but the pathways are more complex and poorly understood.

Cytokinin Functions

A list of some of the known physiological effects caused by cytokinins are listed below. The response will vary depending on the type of cytokinin and plant species (Davies, 1995; Mauseth, 1991; Raven, 1992; Salisbury and Ross, 1992).

Stimulates cell division

Stimulates morphogenesis (shoot initiation/bud formation) in tissue culture.
Stimulates the growth of lateral buds-release of apical dominance.
Stimulates leaf expansion resulting from cell enlargement.
May enhance stomatal opening in some species.
Promotes the conversion of etioplasts into chloroplasts via stimulation of chlorophyll synthesis.

Sprinkled a mineral mix under our palm and Japanese maple trees, as well as in the veggie beds today. Also notices some new green growth on my blueberry plants.

MMJ Blueberry is stretching too much for my liking, so this one will most likely be grown for clones then thrown outside. Red Heri Fruit and Ultra Grapefruit are both going through a re vegging stage, so they will probably be grown for clones and thrown outside later as well. Have a random sprout of something in my aloe 1 gal smart pot, not mmj, so we will see what fell in.

The Super Lemon Haze and Critical Mass are showing signs of needing feedings. They have had nothing but water since I received them. Lemon Skunk is still nice and green in the 1 gal on water only. She will also be used for clones and sent outside.

/rambling

So that cytokinin piece I posted so I could easily reread and be reminded of the benefits of sprouted seed teas. Synthesized in the roots, larger leaves, and release of apical dominance stood out to me. Don't see anything about it being used or tested as a foliar, but some of it is over my head.

It's also found in moss, fungi, and bacteria...fascinating.

I've been reading about sprouted seed teas,, I saw some rye today, but I think barley is most recommended?? This is a hot spot for me...

Oh, and since it's up, I know I'll be harvesting some seaweed at the beach this year,,, people probably think I'm a weirdo ;) suckers

I've been reading about sprouted seed teas,, I saw some rye today, but I think barley is most recommended?? This is a hot spot for me...

Oh, and since it's up, I know I'll be harvesting some seaweed at the beach this year,,, people probably think I'm a weirdo ;) suckers

Seaweed has been used for mulch, compost piles, and top dressing for forever. Trace minerals, i.e. Iodine etc..
I would rinse it in fresh water before using.

I just don't know enough specifics, and I haven't delved deep into the kit. I keep finding very specific things that are very close between docs kit and organic growing. A buddy of mine does cationic feedings and is 10 years deep into organic chemistry research, and most of what he says a million miles a minute is over my head. But I'm learning and catch enough to ask good questions and keep a night full of conversation going. Of course this is over many beers, bowls, joints, and dabs every time lol.

Point being, I'm trying to get a decent grasp on soil biology and different effects before I try to dive in to the chemistry portion. I have loads of respect for people like doc who understand it, I'm just trying to slowly make my way there.

My ultimate goal is 100% organic self made soil and nutrients, but that's a few years out. Worms and leaves.

Barley is the most sought after. I use a malted barley grain. It's already been sprouted under precise conditions I couldn't replicate and all I have to do is grind it into a powder, bubble in water for 4-24 hours, strain and drench. Ooooo do the plants and soil love it!

And yes, rinse that seaweed. When you think you've rinsed it enough do it once more. Few plants offer more benefit to your garden than kelp.

I just don't know enough specifics, and I haven't delved deep into the kit. I keep finding very specific things that are very close between docs kit and organic growing. A buddy of mine does cationic feedings and is 10 years deep into organic chemistry research, and most of what he says a million miles a minute is over my head. But I'm learning and catch enough to ask good questions and keep a night full of conversation going. Of course this is over many beers, bowls, joints, and dabs every time lol.

Point being, I'm trying to get a decent grasp on soil biology and different effects before I try to dive in to the chemistry portion. I have loads of respect for people like doc who understand it, I'm just trying to slowly make my way there.

My ultimate goal is 100% organic self made soil and nutrients, but that's a few years out. Worms and leaves.

I'm with you here. I admire what they do with HB. I'm almost obsessed with what they're doing. I'm constantly trying to work out in my mind how to tweak LOS to do much of what HB causes to happen, but for now my focus is on establishing my LOS no till. I am going to change it up a bit with that delightful tier thing Dr Ziggy showcases, but I believe we can find a way to get those green petioles at the tops of the plants the HB guys chase and do it in LOS.

That being said, the chemistry and science HB plays with is just beginning to make sense to me. If I keep following them and studying their methods, someday I'm actually going to be able to carry my own in a conversation with a group of them. :laughtwo: But then I've heard HB guys say they wish they understood what goes on in the soil community the way LOS growers do, so I guess it goes both ways.

Back
Top Bottom