Who Let The Dogs Out? Chem Comparison Grow!

Somedays the run to the mailbox are just more fun than others....

From CSI Humboldt - I bought the three cultivars on the left. The Snausages were freebies.

And from an awesome arrangement with @Preston9mm:

The Chem 91 are of course for this comparative grow, along with the Dinachem Fem that I got a few weeks ago. Excited to get started! Need a few more weeks to finish up my Frankenstein experiment with reversing autos, and then will be good to go!

I might be twisted, but I might enjoy seeing pictures of seed packets as much or more then I do flowering plants! o_O

I might be twisted, but I might enjoy seeing pictures of seed packets as much or more then I do flowering plants! o_O

That's because when they are seed packs they are just beautiful pictures of what they might become, full of potential. When the grow starts, is when the screw-ups start for me! :)

Penny is right... addictive indeed!

Just out of curiosity, I did a quick Google search...

Origins of Chemdog/Chemdawg:
Heritage (no serious source known):
Speculation 1: unknown indica strain (Kush, HP or NL?)
Speculation 2: Nepali x Thai
At a Grateful Dead show at Deer Creek Amphitheatre, joebrand (aka wonkanobe) and pbud met chemdog and sold him an ounce of very high quality pot for $500. Joe and Chemdog exchanged numbers and they later arranged for two ounces to be shipped to chemdog on the east coast. According to chemdog, one ounce was seedless and the other had 13 seeds. In ’91, chemdog popped the first 4 seeds. From these seeds, one male was found and disposed of (chemdog was young, you can’t blame him). The 3 females were labeled "chemdawg" (now '91 chemdawg), "chemdawg a" (now chemdawg's sister), and "chemdawg b". In 2001, chemdog and his girlfriend attempted to germ 3 more seeds, labeled "c", "d", and "e". the "e" seed never germinated, "c" turned out to be junk (according to chemdog), and chemdawg "d" was the keeper. In 2006, chemdog and joebrand reunited and joe was given 4 of the last 6 beans: Chemdawg phenos 1-4, "4" being the chosen keeper. Joe thought the "4" was the best representation of the original and thus dubbed it the "reunion pheno". Chemdog still has two seeds left in his stash.
[seedfinder]

Here is another link with a similar story, but with more detail about the origins of Chem. We cannot tell this story without mentioning the OG Kush strain . There are several theories about its origins: for some people, it is simply a sister of the Sour Diesel. For others, it is a self-pollination of the ’91 Chemdog selected in the Lake Tahoe area in 1996. Finally, the third and most widely accepted theory (Kailua Kid from Sierra Seed Company) tells that it’d be a cross between a Chemdog clone and a Lemon Thai x Old World Paki Kush hybrid developed in Northern California; this theory would explain the “Kush” in the name of the variety, while the “OG” would probably mean “Ocean Grown” (grown near the ocean).

Some Descendants of Chem:

OG Kush is a legendary strain with a name that has recognition even outside of the cannabis world. Despite its fame, though, its exact origins remain a mystery. Some claim that it’s a cross between staple Chemdawg and a hardy Hindu Kush landrace. It’s also possible that OG Kush emerged from undocumented bag seed as a distinct phenotype of some other existing strain. [wikileaf]

Sour Diesel Thought to be an accidental cross when the DNL hermied, Sour Diesel (or East Coast Sour Diesel, as it's commonly called) is a special plant in the OG Kush/ChemDawg line of strains. Its often "crushing" sativa effect actually seems to hit most people as more of an indica, increasing couchlock and being strong to the point of being overwhelming at times. The plant itself is a fairly lanky one that tends to show lots of foxtailing when finished, practically stinking up the room with its pungent fuel-skunk-citrus bouquet. Lineage unconfirmed, thought to be Original Diesel (ChemDawg '91 x [Massachusetts Super Skunk x Sensi Seeds Northern Lights] x DNL (Northern Lights/Shiva x Hawaiian)

From these sources, at least, it seems like the origins of Chem, as well as its descendants, are kind of murky. But as I said, I'm no expert!

Like @Preston9mm, I'd like to make this comparative grow open to as many folks as possible. So I'd suggest the following: anything with anything with Chem or Dog/Dawg in the name; anything with a strong OG Kush or Diesel component. Will that work for folks?

Josh D bred the real, original OG Kush and he has done a podcast or two and told the ENTIRE story. I'm also a stickler for the real deal strain/pheno and the real origins. I won't post the direct link, but it's on Leafly and called "Episode 12: Josh D and the Real OG Kush." El Diablo from the Receda Care Center I think it's called is another cutting of the real OG directly given by Josh to that breeder, and SFV is another cutting that originated off the real original OG Kush, they just got different nicknames essentially from their growers. I don't have any real OG Chemdog '91 to grow alongside but I'm currently running Ackbar OG, which is X-Wing OG(a Skywalker OG pheno) X PhishHead Kush. Will be watching, I prefer more oldschool indicas and indica hybrids.

Back
Top Bottom