Welcome To Archie’s Indoor/Outdoor Perpetual Garden

Not an update really, but I did give the raised bed plants a drink this morning of water and Tea.
I’ve worked out the amounts to feed with the help of @Amy Gardner, thanks again AG :Namaste:
I’m not completely confident that I know how to best water plants in a raised bed. We usually want them to dry out in containers, but the heat here is drying the top three inches of soil out and I decided they could use a drink.

If Amy or anyone else would like to offer advice on watering frequency outdoors in a raised bed, I’m all ears. It hit 98F here yesterday and I can only imagine how fast a thirsty plant could perish in that heat.

Some cool pics man, I thought there was something on the screen, but your lizard has grass on his chin.
Yeah I saw that too haha! I like the blue on his chin mimicking the patio furniture lol.
Crazy that you're harvesting the AK that flipped itself outside! Everything looks great and the DP's will love you after transplant. My plants are taking a long time to love me after transplant lately because I keep waiting too long :(.
Yeah it is crazy, here’s my theory: The age of this plant is technically two years old or so right? I think it just wants to complete its natural life cycle. Once it started flowering, it got about six weeks in before I realized I don’t think this plant is gonna reveg. The sad part is, I was watering it more the way you’d water in veg, letting it dry out, and as we know that’s not the right technique in flower. So, the plant could’ve been better but it is what it is :high-five:
Looking wonderful. I’m excited for those little ones with all that soil to explore!

Beautiful lizard - grassbeard :)

:D:thumb:

My Candida was the frostiness in my garden and also responded very well to the Cat Drenches so I’m not surprised the GD is super frosty!
Yea the little plants outdoors are producing one new node daily right now. I think I might let them grow naturally. Time is of the essence and I don’t want to slow them down. We’ll see.

I know from experience that SLH was a pretty frosty strain and if Candida is typically pretty resinous... I’m gonna dry a little of GD, but most of it will be used for oil.

If Amy or anyone else would like to offer advice on watering frequency outdoors in a raised bed, I’m all ears. It hit 98F here yesterday and I can only imagine how fast a thirsty plant could perish in that heat.
OK, here's my opinion, which is not necessarily shared by all, so follow it or not - it's up to you to decide... If you water it deeply enough, you won't have to water it so often (maybe every 3 days), but check the soil 4 or 5 inches down. If it's still damp you're good. Watering deep encourages the roots to grow deeper - as the soil dries out at the surface, the roots stretch downward where it's moist. Also, the moist soil below will slow down the drying of the soil at the surface. In this heat, you might also consider a little shade during the mid-day sun.:goodluck:
It's forecast to be 100F in my neighborhood today!

A layer of straw or mulch?

That's what I said about the Candida until my wife started smoking it and handing it out to friends. I'd say I'm curing more like 80% of it now! I can always use it for oil later :).
That’s exactly what I want to see. I had to toss a few clones (but did get a mother plant set up for future clones) but I still have a lot of space dedicated to plants that “don’t get you high”. I can’t wait to see what it’s like for myself! The pure CBD herbs I got online just ruin a good high when smoked, I wouldn’t want to dedicate the space for that.

:passitleft:

Oof! I am so glad you lived to see the other side of that. :circle-of-love:
I am too... wasn't at the time because my mind was so skewed...

I'll jump out, at every opportunity, to help someone get away from that madness...
:meditate:

I’m glad you got out too p9 :thumb:

Archi, I agree with everything Luiz said. Deep thorough soaking and you can let it dry out more than you think. Mine never wilted even a bit once in the ground, even when it seemed dry enough to do so. You’re in the kit soil with pear and perlite so it should be even better. I was in more dirt-like soil. So you’ll have to experiment a bit. Prolly be easier to soak it deep :)

OK, here's my opinion, which is not necessarily shared by all, so follow it or not - it's up to you to decide... If you water it deeply enough, you won't have to water it so often (maybe every 3 days), but check the soil 4 or 5 inches down. If it's still damp you're good. Watering deep encourages the roots to grow deeper - as the soil dries out at the surface, the roots stretch downward where it's moist. Also, the moist soil below will slow down the drying of the soil at the surface. In this heat, you might also consider a little shade during the mid-day sun.:goodluck:
It's forecast to be 100F in my neighborhood today!
28B932F6-A427-42DE-BC67-B42FA8082FD1.jpeg

That’s my forecast at the moment.
Thanks for the feedback Beez, I truly value your experience and opinion. I’ve determined I would need twenty gallons of H2O to completely soak this bed, based on how many gallons of soil I have in there. When I hear “water deeply” am I to take that as water twenty gallons or give it ten and call it a day? Perhaps that’s where the experience part comes in? Cheers Beez!
Oof! I am so glad you lived to see the other side of that. :circle-of-love:
Yeah you said it brother. Seriously.
I am too... wasn't at the time because my mind was so skewed...

I'll jump out, at every opportunity, to help someone get away from that madness...
:meditate:
I’m glad you got free of that brother.
I’m glad you got out too p9 :thumb:

Archi, I agree with everything Luiz said. Deep thorough soaking and you can let it dry out more than you think. Mine never wilted even a bit once in the ground, even when it seemed dry enough to do so. You’re in the kit soil with pear and perlite so it should be even better. I was in more dirt-like soil. So you’ll have to experiment a bit. Prolly be easier to soak it deep :)

I watched my baby seedlings battle the heat yesterday and it was worse today. I stuck my finger down about four inches this morning and it was dry. I watered in ~10 gallons of water and my last watering can had h20 w/tea. I think, given the conditions and the dryness of the topsoil, I made the right decision. I’m doubting myself if I gave it enough of a soaking.
Cheers AG!

watered in ~10 gallons of water and my last watering can had h20 w/tea. I think, given the conditions and the dryness of the topsoil, I made the right decision. I’m doubting myself if I gave it enough of a soaking.
Cheers AG!
This sounds good. Just check it a bit every day and you’ll know. Dig down again and see how deep the moisture goes.

I was in garden/bush soil, not the Peat based medium so... YMMV from mine :)
widening circles around the plant
Sort of - except in a living soil you want to soak the whole thing a bit too because youre trying to keep a soil community alive. Then the whole bed dries out but the areas away from the plant roots dry out slower - until the roots get there. So i think a good soaking on the whole bed fairly often is good and then use the widening circles around it for in between times as the whole mass is drying out. SOmething like that anyway. Thing is - we all do slightly differnt versions of similar things so really just have to run with whatever combination of the current wisdom applies.
Soaking the whole bed when it’s dry will stop it getting hydrophobic too.

Wouldn't you water a small plant in a raised bed the way you would if you put an auto sprout into its final big pot home? Which is to say in widening circles around the plant.

I’m not really sure Shed. My gut is telling me it was too hot and with the temp hovering around 100, I felt better knowing they had plenty of moisture.
This sounds good. Just check it a bit every day and you’ll know. Dig down again and see how deep the moisture goes.

I was in garden/bush soil, not the Peat based medium so... YMMV from mine :)

Sort of - except in a living soil you want to soak the whole thing a bit too because youre trying to keep a soil community alive. Then the whole bed dries out but the areas away from the plant roots dry out slower - until the roots get there. So i think a good soaking on the whole bed fairly often is good and then use the widening circles around it for in between times as the whole mass is drying out. SOmething like that anyway. Thing is - we all do slightly differnt versions of similar things so really just have to run with whatever combination of the current wisdom applies.
Soaking the whole bed when it’s dry will stop it getting hydrophobic too.

Thanks AG. I think I’ll do exactly as you suggest and check the soil on a daily basis. This heat wave is alleged to be over in a couple days, perhaps the climate will have a significant impact on how quick the bed dries out.

I watched my baby seedlings battle the heat yesterday and it was worse today. I stuck my finger down about four inches this morning and it was dry. I watered in ~10 gallons of water and my last watering can had h20 w/tea. I think, given the conditions and the dryness of the topsoil, I made the right decision. I’m doubting myself if I gave it enough of a soaking.
Cheers AG!
Wow, it was a scorcher yesterday! Supposed to start cooling down today and tomorrow. I just water directly from my hose so I really don't know how much water I actually use. Just a feel for it after a while.
My gut is telling me it was too hot and with the temp hovering around 100, I felt better knowing they had plenty of moisture.
In this heat and low humidity, I believe it's better to err on the side of wetness.
And protect them from it as much as possible. Can you make a small shade thing to save them from some heat? Maybe you have something already... :)
Since your plant is still small, you could shove 4 bamboo stakes (or similar) into the ground around your plant and then drape a towel over them. It would give the plant some shade while the sun is directly overhead, but still get some direct sunshine at other parts of the day.

Back
Top Bottom