Welcome To Archie’s Indoor/Outdoor Perpetual Garden

If it is ready, it will have encased all the perlite to the point that you can just slide it out of the solo cup in one piece, and into a “reverse sandcastle “.
:ganjamon:

There’s a photo around here somewhere..

This one may have been over-ready

08A73F12-A56B-49C2-A272-B75F58A68F08.jpeg

4D5C065D-2428-4429-BE97-2BA542B5A0D8.jpeg

Na man they don't get shock or anything like that. They do slow down their above ground growth, for a day or three until the roots stretch to the new deeper reservoir but that's about it. They really take off fast as soon as that happens though.

:passitleft:
Thanks G, that sounds fairly straightforward. Well here we go, for science!

SweetSue has posted step by steps of her process in the past. I’ll try to find one ... she ‘floats’ the football out...
I’m fairly stoney, but rootball makes more sense than football, so I’m gonna go with that :rofl:
If it is ready, it will have encased all the perlite to the point that you can just slide it out of the solo cup in one piece, and into a “reverse sandcastle “.

There’s a photo around here somewhere..
Ahh thanks Felipe. I assume this wouldn’t work as hot for hydroton?
This one may have been over-ready

08A73F12-A56B-49C2-A272-B75F58A68F08.jpeg

4D5C065D-2428-4429-BE97-2BA542B5A0D8.jpeg
Lovely roots!

Damn auto correct... :laughtwo:

I suppose roots are the plant’s feet... :hmmmm:

I didn’t find much - only simple statements that hempy transplants are the easiest and that she just plugs the hole, fills with water and the little one comes right out (the rootball and all)...
And if they’re rootbound even better by the looks of Filipe’s routine! :thumb:

I assume this wouldn’t work as hot for hydroton?

Hydroton is larger and smoother, so it might require more roots to tie it together. By then, the plant might be really root-bound. I’m going to check out some scoria today - sold as barbecue lava rock - like pumice, but dark and a bit heavier. And larger - up to 1/2” or so. And hopefully cheaper than perlite.

Lovely roots!

Thanks! They’re from one of my brother’s grows.

Fair enough!
Thanks for looking AG.
Seems like it would be a precarious transplant. Cheers!
It’s super simple. I go from 32oz to 1gal to either 2gal or 3.5 gal pots without any issues.

I just let the old pot dry out a bit extra first and pour off the top layer of loose perlite. Then half fill the new pot with fresh perlite. Squeeze the sides of the old pot to loosen it a bit, flip the pot and the whole root ball slides out super easy and stays together. Then place it right on top of the half filled pot and fill around it.

Then cover the hempy hole with your finger and flood the whole pot with nute water to soak and settle all the perlite.

Then wait 3 weeks or so to do it all over again. The leaves won’t even droop or anything. It just will slow down it’s growth for a couple days while the roots search out the new deeper reservoir, then it’ll have a massive growth explosion for a few days and go back to normal.

It’s super simple. I go from 32oz to 1gal to either 2gal or 3.5 gal pots without any issues.

I just let the old pot dry out a bit extra first and pour off the top layer of loose perlite. Then half fill the new pot with fresh perlite. Squeeze the sides of the old pot to loosen it a bit, flip the pot and the whole root ball slides out super easy and stays together. Then place it right on top of the half filled pot and fill around it.

Then cover the hempy hole with your finger and flood the whole pot with nute water to soak and settle all the perlite.

Then wait 3 weeks or so to do it all over again. The leaves won’t even droop or anything. It just will slow down it’s growth for a couple days while the roots search out the new deeper reservoir, then it’ll have a massive growth explosion for a few days and go back to normal.

Sweet! Thanks for that man. I’m noticing that hydroton gets heavy in the buckets really fast. I see another advantage for perlite there.

I’ve washed the hydroton really good, got my buckets ready, and the seeds are on a germination mat in their root riots.
A reason to stick with perlite?

Nice save!

Wait what? But your pumice mine might go out of business if you switch...

I believe you mean "football."
I think I’m already sold on perlite being my option in the future. I just figured if all I have to do is buy a couple buckets, I want to try it.
Only time will tell. You know I’m very anti-ph pen lol. I’m also smart enough to buy the type that replaceable sensors like the Blue Lab. If I have to I’ll buy it, but I’d rather not lol. Hopefully, Advanced Nutes will take care of it for me.

I can say with certainty, from past grow experience, that the AN stuff did adjust the ph. How long does it hold it there is another question that I’m not prepared to answer. I feel like it won’t matter as long as the res is getting topped up daily.

I don’t ph adjust at all. I tried for a couple weeks but I got weird results that drove me crazy. Since I started ignoring it my plants are a lot healthier.

Okay cool!
I think I’m going to try and swing by somewhere and get some perlite so I can test the bloody perlite and hydroton for myself. I can’t mis an opportunity for a experiment.

I’m going to check out some scoria today - sold as barbecue lava rock - like pumice, but dark and a bit heavier. And larger - up to 1/2” or so. And hopefully cheaper than perlite.

Nope - too heavy, and not that much cheaper.

Keeping the pumice mine Shed!

Sunday Update
Hey everyone :ciao:
I’ve not felt much like taking photos lately, things just didn’t seem all that interesting.
I figured it’s time to update, so here we go.

The outdoor seedlings. Critical Haze still has a somewhat weak stem.

Shed’s Gift

The Durban Clones and Moms.

Cheers :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom