The Mega Crop Thread

hiya @CChapp, thanks for chiming in

i wouldn't even worry about the calcium (?) balls.

simply poured a 9.9kg bag into a bucket for longer term storage, and they naturally distributed themselves evenly throughout.. if you have anything bigger than the 2.5kg bag i salute you for inspiring up to the task of pulling them out, grinding them up, and remixing. :)

MC is meant to work as an average over several feeds.

i've been monitoring ppm, but not feeding by it. it varies from feed to feed but, stays under + - 50ppm, which is not a huge swing. the + - of the calcium (?) balls is accounted for in that swing.

i've tried straight mixing, grinding / crushing the stuff, mixing and letting sit 24 hrs, and zapping the stuff. it always measures out the same, with about the same precipitate. did get a touch more precipitate with a straight mix.

i simply went with the easiest, quickest method. quick zap in the mic, mix and go.

don't worry about your balls. treat them nice... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Funny enough I was just jumping on here today to ask about this very thing. I was having a talk with a guy at the local hydro shop and thing came up. I brought up wanting to use MC for my grow and his face showed signs of disapproval. I asked what his experience was and he mentioned that the new formula had compensated for the needed cal mag missing in the old formula. He said the problem he had was the balls of which always went to the bottom and he had a hard time with it. He said he took his bag of MC and ran it all through a strainer and pulled all of them out, ground them into a power then mixed the whole bag over again. He suggested he had greater success with MC outdoor than in. I think I'll follow the sifting idea but would love the see some indoor results.

An aquarium wave generator was recommended here earlier to mix them until they dissolved. I received one, and will install it later this week.

Just fed my first dose of mc to my girls. So as I've read thru this journal I was under the impression that a table spoon of mc weighed abound six grams. My table spoon weighed 18.6 grams. A teaspoon weighed 7.6 grams. Got weight down to 6.4 g and I fed my two white widow autos the sixth week of flower. That's 6.2g per gallon. Is that correct?

hiya @CChapp, thanks for chiming in

i wouldn't even worry about the calcium (?) balls.

simply poured a 9.9kg bag into a bucket for longer term storage, and they naturally distributed themselves evenly throughout.. if you have anything bigger than the 2.5kg bag i salute you for inspiring up to the task of pulling them out, grinding them up, and remixing. :)

MC is meant to work as an average over several feeds.

i've been monitoring ppm, but not feeding by it. it varies from feed to feed but, stays under + - 50ppm, which is not a huge swing. the + - of the calcium (?) balls is accounted for in that swing.

i've tried straight mixing, grinding / crushing the stuff, mixing and letting sit 24 hrs, and zapping the stuff. it always measures out the same, with about the same precipitate. did get a touch more precipitate with a straight mix.

i simply went with the easiest, quickest method. quick zap in the mic, mix and go.

don't worry about your balls. treat them nice... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thank you for the insight Bluter, I learn every time I log on here. For a first time indoor grower I like the keep it simple approach until I get my bases rock solid. I figured MC would follow those lines. Quick question for you though, I mentioned to this same hydro shop tech that I'd be running Canna Coco and I planned on buffering in calimagic before potting so I know I have a solid base, then beginning MC nutes. He told me not to even bother, Canna was fine out of the bag. I've read so many mixed opinions on this. I'd love to hear your take on it. (not to pull the convo totally away from MC). Cheers!

Just fed my first dose of mc to my girls. So as I've read thru this journal I was under the impression that a table spoon of mc weighed abound six grams. My table spoon weighed 18.6 grams. A teaspoon weighed 7.6 grams. Got weight down to 6.4 g and I fed my two white widow autos the sixth week of flower. That's 6.2g per gallon. Is that correct?

A teaspoon should weigh between 6-8g. Depending on your spoon and how level you fill it. Myself, I'm closer to your weights. My teaspoon is right around 8g.

I think my problems are heat related not feeding. New at this, first time indoors.

I have a small heater on low, cabinet in garage, it was on analog timer 30min on 30min off but when temperatures got colder in garage I set heater on all the time. Peak temperature for the last 24 hrs was 87F.

The change in heat setting is about the time I started having problems.

Harbor freight has analog timer that has 15min increments so I can set 15min on 15 off to keep temperature more constant.

Comments?

That's what I read. 6grms during flowering.
I read all kinds of websites last night, and they all had different gram to teaspoon conversions. I figured a teaspoon would be an accurate way of measuring for those not wanting to mix up 5 gal+ at a time. It varies from 4 grams to 5 grams, and sometimes more per teaspoon. Even comparing like substances like sugar or salt . There just was no consensus on how much 1 teaspoon or tablespoon for that matter was in grams, from site to site. Looks like I'll be buying a battery for that old digital scale.

Quick question for you though, I mentioned to this same hydro shop tech that I'd be running Canna Coco and I planned on buffering in calimagic before potting

Most clerks in hydro shops are not you friends. Few have actually completed a grow.

I usually expand the bricks with RO water, and let it drain. I then pre-charge with 0.25ml / l or 1ml/US gal water until I get run off. Let it sit overnight, and the seeds or clones go in in the morning. Light waterings are key to success in the early stages. Water down the stem until true leaves appear, then around the container's edges to tease out the roots.

A teaspoon should weigh between 6-8g. Depending on your spoon and how level you fill it. Myself, I'm closer to your weights. My teaspoon is right around 8g.
thanks for the answer farside. again lol. oh, thanks for the patience too :)

if you wanna be dead accurate on MC go by weight. g/L or g/gallon.
and start with the online calculator recommended amounts. then read your plants.
i use a small digital scale. a la gram dealer size lol.

i'm in hempy under cob. it's also a calmag poor environment.
the newer versions of MC have been tweaked to account for this type of grow style.

what i did was start with a calmag supplement at half strength, then dropped it over time to gain headroom for more MC.

I think my problems are heat related not feeding. New at this, first time indoors.

I have a small heater on low, cabinet in garage, it was on analog timer 30min on 30min off but when temperatures got colder in garage I set heater on all the time. Peak temperature for the last 24 hrs was 87F.

Harbor freight has analog timer that has 15min increments so I can set 15min on 15 off to keep temperature more constant.

Comments?

I use ZooMed's Hygrotherm Temperature/Humidity controller. My heater is set to always on, and the controller looks after the rest. Others here are using the Inkbird controllers in a similar fashion.

Comments?
does it have a thermostat ? i have a heat challenged space and use an electric heater with a thermostat.
the area is also internally insulated with reflectix.

works great, but the area is not in an unheated garage

MC seems to give different weight per ml then those here.
TSP=4.93ml

This is the recommendation for late bloom on back of bag given in grams and ml.
6g/gallon
20ml/3.5 gallons or 5.7ml/gallon

5.7ml/6grams=5ml/Xgrams
This would make 5ml=5.2g
tsp=5.1g

Actual reported weight seems to differ. Possibly our MC is absorbing humidity and getting heavier or the information on bag is inaccurate?

This was bought ten years ago, when I was using tissue culture to propagate Venus Flytraps. I've re-purposed it. ;)

Shit, Salt was using tissue culture to propagate Venus Flytraps when using tissue culture to propagate Venus Flytraps wasnt cool.

Actual reported weight seems differ. Possibly our MC is absorbing humidity and getting heavier or the information on bag is inaccurate?

Although it will absorb humidity, the weight gain is negligible. InTheShed did the expirement over the summer. He took some fresh Mega, weighed it, set the sample in an extremely high humidity environment for 3 days, then remeasured it. It got globby but didn't gain significant weight.

An aquarium wave generator was recommended here earlier to mix them until they dissolved. I received one, and will install it later this week.

Wowsors. That's one way to do it!

I'm just using a spare pump to whirl it around in the bottom of my nute bin.

Comments?

The great site of Mr Bezos, aka amazon, can help you out here, as long as your heater is 1500w or less, and on 120V not 220V.

"BN-LINK Digital Heat Mat Thermostat Controller"

$20, and from there, here's what ya do:

Heater hooks to controller, controller temp probe goes into tent. Set controller for desired temp, and off you go.

Just make sure your heater is within the specs of the controller, which is rated for 15A and 1875W.

For what its worth I am mid-second grow and have used MC throughout. In flower Ive added GH Max Bloom to the MC regimen, 5g each in 1 Gal distilled H2O. I use an old coffee grinder to get the MC in the right consistency and have had great results. I burned the girls once because I confused mixes and fed the girls a too strong dose intended for other plants... gotta quit smoking when I feed!
November girls.jpg

To the left are 2x Barneys LSD, in the middle is a Grand Daddy Purple and an Obama Kush. In the back right corner is a much abused White Widow mother. All except the mother are about 10 days into flower (I kinda screwed the pooch on the 12/12 change. I programmed the timer like a champ and then forgot to turn the timer switch function on so the girls were getting light 24x7.
I couldnt figure out why they hadnt started to look like they were in flower, duh.

Grown in Fox Farm Happy Frog. Spider Farmer SF-2000 LED light.

Mega Crop makes life easier.

Funny enough I was just jumping on here today to ask about this very thing. I was having a talk with a guy at the local hydro shop and this came up. I brought up wanting to use MC for my grow and his face showed signs of disapproval. I asked what his experience was and he mentioned that the new formula had compensated for the needed cal mag missing in the old formula. He said the problem he had was the balls of which always went to the bottom and he had a hard time with it. He said he took his bag of MC and ran it all through a strainer and pulled all of them out, ground them into a power then mixed the whole bag over again. He suggested he had greater success with MC outdoor than in. I think I'll follow the sifting idea but would love the see some indoor results.
Funny my hydro had the same face n it was because he couldn’t make money off the product n he was a bit hurt cuz he couldn’t sell me 20 bottles to do one grow

Back
Top Bottom