The Mega Crop Thread

I haven't had bugs since I started growing about three years ago. Someone decided I needed to learn, and I discovered I have the start of a fungus gnat infestation today. It's a great day for it, as no one here in the Halifax area has remedies in stock. I ordered nematodes and yellow sticky traps through Amazon, but they won't be here for a week. To keep the gnats down to a dull roar I deployed some cut up fly paper strips around the plants.

That's really bad luck!

It seems strange to me that I got them in winter

Yep - that's quite a surprise!

In total she ate up 118 grams of Megacrop start to finish. She produced 103 grams of dry bud.

Wow! Without doing the math, I'm pretty sure your ROI is extremely high - 1g of cannabis is worth a lot more than 1g of MC!

Ah, those pesky feckin gnat bastards. I just love those. [/sarcasm]

However, I do have some tips that will help.

First, the ones flying around. The yellow sticky strips will get a few, so keep that up. Also add some coffee cups filled 1/4-1/3 of the way with apple cider vinegar around your grow.

Now to eradicate these pesky jokers, it's good to understand how they cycle (and they cycle very quick) and how to break that cycle.

They love moist and dark areas. Drains, that potato at the bottom of a sack starting to soften and go bad, etc. I had a horrid, horrid infestation with my house plants that I bring inside in the winter a few years ago. I mean it was bad. Those things were everywhere in the house. Every window sill would be covered with their expired bodies, and I can't tell you how many times I had to windex the TV from the smears of their demise.

I dug and dug into it all, and finally found what worked in the long run. Needless to say, I haven't had an issue since. Not once.

The strips and ACV will get the fliers, but really unless you break their breeding cycle you will not be rid of them. You can spray (I tried them all) but they will come back. Why? Their eggs. That's the kicker, and they lay them thick and often.

I found that they absolutely loved the top of my potted plants. Nice and moist, and the perfect spot for their reproductive escapades. They were having a party like it was the 60's and free love. It was bad. Bad bad bad.

What I ended up doing to break that party up was put about 1/2" (12mm or so) of sand on top of my plants. Just that regular old "play" sand (that's fairly fine) from the home improvement store. It sounds odd at first, but it works. They absolutely hate the sand, and will not go near it one bit. I guess it's like glass and cuts the crap out of them, so they avoid it like the plague.

Early on, I also had to keep the drains closed in all the sinks and tubs to take away another dark, damp area. Within a week, they were all gone. I've always had sand on top of my plants since, and never had another one of those buggers.

I also started watering them from the bottom, but that's only because it isn't as easy to get them gently watered from the top.

There are some additional benefits as well. One is it acts like a mulch, and reduces evaporation from the top of the soil. So it allows more water to go to the plant, and in turn each watering lasts a little longer as well.

Anyway, it's a solution that works. Sometimes you have to adjust to make it work, but that's better than those feckin gnats. :laugh:

Excellent write-up! A few more tips like that and you'll have enough for a really useful thread in the forums!

To expound...

The normal range for K in a growing medium is 30-300ppm. Under 30 being deficient and over 300 being high. @Lazarus13 feeding 5g Mega, 1.2g of Bud Explosion, and 4ml CaliMagic put his ppm from K at 313. Upping the Mega Crop to 6 takes it up to 353. I've never had a "Potassium Deficiency" and my K numbers have always been sub 300. Grew for years with Dyna Gro and at that time my K topped out at 127. I'd rethink your mix. If you absolutely will not give up the Bud Explosion, use 6g Mega, 4ml CaliMagic, and .5g of Bud Explosion (combo is 285ppm K). My mix is 282ppm K, although I do it with Silica instead.

Hmmm - I'm sure the math is correct - but how can we have a K deficiency when the K is over-range? :hmmmm:

Bright yellow paper smeared with a thin layer of vaseline does the trick in a bind.

Nice tip - quick n easy home remedy!

Happy New Year everyone! Wishing you and your family all the best!

Amen to that!

Since most of the good folks I interact with here also happen to read this thread, and I hope I don't miss anyone, I want to wish everyone a prosperous and happy new year! Thank you all for being here, and perpetuating the kindness and knowledge we all have gained and shared!

Amen to that!

Since most of the good folks I interact with here also happen to read this thread, and I hope I don't miss anyone, I want to wish everyone a prosperous and happy new year! Thank you all for being here, and perpetuating the kindness and knowledge we all have gained and shared!

cheers to that,,

peace and love to all, from the boys and me

Just an update on my plants with MegaCrop a couple days before transplant. They're beautiful. Back left is Blueberry and the other two are Zkittles. Currently making 4-6 cups at a time and still pHing it before applying (still get in the high 7 range with my terrible water, so I adjust. Just a preference).

IMG_1609.JPG
These look fantastic! Get them across the finish line.

Here's some images to start the New Year off with a bang!

I had to pull GDP #2 from the tent for maintenance. I installed some spreader bars to open her up a little. She is cramped in the Mars Hydro 100cm x 100cm (3' x 3' tent, actually 40" x 40"). For those not following my journal, the seed was dropped on Aug 31, 2019, and she has spent all but a few days under the Mars Hydro TSL-2000 and TSW-2000. She's been fed on a diet of Mega Crop since day one, in coco/perlite.

full

Front View of Granddaddy Purple #2

full

Top View of Granddaddy Purple #2

Hello guys, I’m interested in no-till growing but I can’t find any shop with notill/living soil amendments in EU. GreenLeafNutrients have small warehouse in EU so the price for shipping isn’t that bad. I have asked GLN on Facebook if MegaCrop is suitable for No-till growing, they said yes, but I’m little bit worried because it have 9-6-17 NPK.

I’m plaining to make a soil mix in this composition:
Base: 40% peat moss,
Aeration: 40%Pumice/rice hulls
Compost:14% worm hummus/bat guano
Mega Crop: 6% (as a mineral/silica/b vitamins amendment)

Does anyone try MegaCrop in no-till gardening?
It is possible to make soil with this composition and don’t bur plants?

Thank you guys for tips

Hello guys, I’m interested in no-till growing but I can’t find any shop with notill/living soil amendments in EU. GreenLeafNutrients have small warehouse in EU so the price for shipping isn’t that bad. I have asked GLN on Facebook if MegaCrop is suitable for No-till growing, they said yes, but I’m little bit worried because it have 9-6-17 NPK.

Compost:14% worm hummus 1-0-0/ bat guano 1-6-1
Mega Crop: 6% (as a amendment)

Thank you guys for tips
Hi NoTill... and no... and no again... but also welcome to the forum! :welcome:
This is not how MC is intended to be used. When you spoke to GLN, did you explain that you meant to make it part of your soil mix and use it as an amendment?
Combining organic methods with MC is not going to work. There are several reasons that despite your best efforts, the organic feeding cycle will break down because the MC has already supplied the needs and portions of your microlife will die out. It is clear to me that it is best to use one system or the other, so on my MegaCrop test grow I have basically turned off my living organic soil, and am relying on MC exclusively with tap water and no worries about adjusting pH. MC doesn't care much about the medium that is being used to hold up the plants... everything needed is in there.

Compost:14% worm hummus 1-0-0/ bat guano 1-6-1
Mega Crop: 6% (as a amendment)

Thank you guys for tips

I think you will kill the plants with that mix. There's too much Mega Crop. It's meant to be added with your water as a nutrient solution. With your no-till, I think you are trying for a Living Organic Soil, where the nutrient precursors are converted by the microbes into nutrients the plants can use. @Emilya will probably check in later, and comment. She is an accomplished soil grower, that is using Mega Crop and can give you some pointers.

Edit: She beat me to the 'Post' button. :)

Here's some images to start the New Year off with a bang!

I had to pull GDP #2 from the tent for maintenance. I installed some spreader bars to open her up a little. She is cramped in the Mars Hydro 100cm x 100cm (3' x 3' tent, actually 40" x 40"). For those not following my journal, the seed was dropped on Aug 31, 2019, and she has spent all but a few days under the Mars Hydro TSL-2000 and TSW-2000. She's been fed on a diet of Mega Crop since day one, in coco/perlite.

full

Front View of Granddaddy Purple #2

full

Top View of Granddaddy Purple #2

Old Salt your Granddaddy #2 is looking real nice. :yummy: What size pot is she in?

Im feeding 5g MC 2.0 with 1.2g of their PK and 4 mls of calimagic per gallon as i did with my last batch of plants.
I think your biggest issue is too much N, Ca and Mg with the Calimagic. You've reduced the availability of the K by adding so much. The plant most likely can't access the K now which will likely cause the plant to suffer if you don't change your feeding routine.

I don't know. I just bought a big pot at the garden center. It's 15" x 15" x 14" tall, so 13.6 gal, with a built-in drip tray. Calling it 10 gal, or 40l would be close.

I traded the SP-250 I won earlier in the year fot the TSW-2000. They were looking for more people to grow with that light. I decided on a single plant, and am pleased with the result so far.

I think your biggest issue is too much N, Ca and Mg with the Calimagic. You've reduced the availability of the K by adding so much. The plant most likely can't access the K now which will likely cause the plant to suffer if you don't change your feeding routine.

You think 4ml per gallon is a lot? If I'm running 5g Mega I'm using 5ml, and my Cal-Mag product is 2% N, 3.2% Ca, 1.2% Mg, and .1% Fe.

You think 4ml per gallon is a lot? If I'm running 5g Mega I'm using 5ml, and my Cal-Mag product is 2% N, 3.2% Ca, 1.2% Mg, and .1% Fe.

I can't say for sure... but I don't see any signs of a K excess right now. So logically his MC numbers are OK and he shouldn't have it. But if certain plants are more sensitive then the only issue would be lockout.

Back
Top Bottom