The Mega Crop Thread

A quick question for the coco/perlite growers out there:

Is there any real value in adding Great White, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, Tarantula to a coco/perlite grow?

I used them in soil, but I'm not sure if microbes are beneficial with MC in coco.

I am going to start with just MC in coco/perlite, but since I still have some left over nutrients (Sensizyme, Ancient Earth, Rhino Skin, Great White, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, Tarantula, Open Sesame) I will be using them up instead of just letting them sit on the shelf to expire.

Please don't mix those with MegaCrop. You're headed towards a disaster if you do.

MegaCrop is all you need, with a few caveats to that. IF using RO or distilled water and/or LED lighting, you will need to add some calmag. IF you add calmag, you need to keep the ratio of nitrogen to potassium in balance.

1577670202721.png

Thanks to @farside05, his above schedule is spot on when you need to use calmag.

For now, just keep the numbers in mind. Don't worry about the notations at the bottom as pH and such can vary by medium. However the number of days and amount of MegaCrop per gallon is spot on.

You can either make your own and save a couple bucks, or you can just buy gallon jugs of the additional supplements.

If you're buying:

For the calmag, I recommend CALiMAGic from General Hydroponics. It's great and a 1-0-0 ratio.

Pro-TeKt is from DynaGro, and it has a 0-0-3 ratio. Note that combined that's a 1-0-3 ratio, keeping your N->K right in line.

I'm using this exact schedule in promix, RDWC, and now a hempy (aka Dutch, aka Bato) bucket setup. I needed the extra calmag, so I'm also using the Pro-TeKt to keep that ratio right.

Pro-TeKt being a silica supplement is icing on the cake. Plants are loving the combination and thriving.

The version of MegaCrop available now has everything you need on its own. You don't need 15 other products like other nute lines, just MegaCrop. The bud explosion being referenced isn't needed. It's already part of the main MegaCrop mix. Having had discussion with GLN, the additional products are aimed for previous versions, as well as compatibility with base nutrients from other lines.

The exception to that IIRC is the "sweet candy" or whatever its called, as it doesn't mix well with the main nutrients. Even then, it's not a required addition by any means.

So other than the calmag exception, all you need is MegaCrop.

Well I got a big bag of Mega Crop from my mom and sister for Xmas. Still have lots from my freebie I sent away for. Anyways I took down 2 of my plants yesterday and WOW on the yield from them. I took down my Dr Seedsman CBD and harvested in wet weight 464g.

30332431-99DF-44A9-B14A-45740D5BBFBC.jpeg
95D981A2-C49C-431B-9615-0F567992EBC0.jpeg

and I thought I did amazing with that. Then I harvested my PURPLE URKLE and was expecting maybe 300g and it turns out I doubled that guess. I harvested a wonderful 609g off of her and I know it was thanks to my switch from my Advance Nutrients to Mega Crop.

65477CE5-4A67-404D-884A-6062BC1D95D7.jpeg
8954D4D0-4C89-48D4-ADEE-5928BD272830.jpeg

Can’t wait to see what it can do from Start to Finish. Still have 2 more to harvest, and they should be done in the coming week

total waste of money my friend... MC is all included and doesnt use microbes... it uses amino acids.

Well, I've already wasted my money and have them sitting on the shelf :)

Maybe I'm missing something in the difference between soil and coco.

Do amino acids harm beneficial microbes?

Why would I not want to use Carbohydrates, Great White, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, and Tarantula to help my roots grow and protect from harmful bacteria?

So Recharge is also a waste in coco too?

My apologies, but I don't understand your answer :(

Please don't mix those with MegaCrop. You're headed towards a disaster if you do.

MegaCrop is all you need, with a few caveats to that. IF using RO or distilled water and/or LED lighting, you will need to add some calmag. IF you add calmag, you need to keep the ratio of nitrogen to potassium in balance.

1577670202721.png

Thanks to @farside05, his above schedule is spot on when you need to use calmag.

For now, just keep the numbers in mind. Don't worry about the notations at the bottom as pH and such can vary by medium. However the number of days and amount of MegaCrop per gallon is spot on.

You can either make your own and save a couple bucks, or you can just buy gallon jugs of the additional supplements.

If you're buying:

For the calmag, I recommend CALiMAGic from General Hydroponics. It's great and a 1-0-0 ratio.

Pro-TeKt is from DynaGro, and it has a 0-0-3 ratio. Note that combined that's a 1-0-3 ratio, keeping your N->K right in line.

I'm using this exact schedule in promix, RDWC, and now a hempy (aka Dutch, aka Bato) bucket setup. I needed the extra calmag, so I'm also using the Pro-TeKt to keep that ratio right.

Pro-TeKt being a silica supplement is icing on the cake. Plants are loving the combination and thriving.

The version of MegaCrop available now has everything you need on its own. You don't need 15 other products like other nute lines, just MegaCrop. The bud explosion being referenced isn't needed. It's already part of the main MegaCrop mix. Having had discussion with GLN, the additional products are aimed for previous versions, as well as compatibility with base nutrients from other lines.

The exception to that IIRC is the "sweet candy" or whatever its called, as it doesn't mix well with the main nutrients. Even then, it's not a required addition by any means.

So other than the calmag exception, all you need is MegaCrop.

Thanks for the feedback and I understand your theory so far.

When you say "I'm heading for disaster" - that is a very strong statement and seriously warrants my attention.

Has someone else here already tried adding these supplements (Sensizyme, Ancient Earth, Rhino Skin, Great White, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, Tarantula, Open Sesame) to a coco/perlite grow?

Will you please point me to your source of the pitfalls of using these well known supplements in coco or with coco/MC.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to avoid anecdotal concepts and focusing on documented empirical/quantitative evidence.

PS: I've read the FAQs at GLN and they are vague to say the least, and it's possible some of their info has been wrapped by their marketing department :)

Why would I not want to use Carbohydrates, Great White, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, and Tarantula to help my roots grow and protect from harmful bacteria?

You seem to be thinking that just because you have a beneficial microbe that all is good and all is better than if you didn't have the microbe. The problem is that you can have all the microbes you can cram in there but if they don't have any raw minerals to chomp on, break down and then provide raw nutrient to the plant, what good are they? They are not beneficial just because of their mere presence, they are beneficial when there is something for them to do in regards to the feeding cycle. In coco, there is nothing there for them. In a MC grow, the plant's needs are being taken care of with a new fertilizer that injects itself right into the plant... again, nothing for the well dressed microbes to do.

Well I got a big bag of Mega Crop from my mom and sister for Xmas. Still have lots from my freebie I sent away for. Anyways I took down 2 of my plants yesterday and WOW on the yield from them. I took down my Dr Seedsman CBD and harvested in wet weight 464g.

30332431-99DF-44A9-B14A-45740D5BBFBC.jpeg
95D981A2-C49C-431B-9615-0F567992EBC0.jpeg

and I thought I did amazing with that. Then I harvested my PURPLE URKLE and was expecting maybe 300g and it turns out I doubled that guess. I harvested a wonderful 609g off of her and I know it was thanks to my switch from my Advance Nutrients to Mega Crop.

65477CE5-4A67-404D-884A-6062BC1D95D7.jpeg
8954D4D0-4C89-48D4-ADEE-5928BD272830.jpeg

Can’t wait to see what it can do from Start to Finish. Still have 2 more to harvest, and they should be done in the coming week

Hey @EhCndGrower , nice to meet you, and what an incredible harvest!

Did you use any of your Advanced Nutrients supplements (not base nutrients) with your MC grow?

I'm trying to figure out if I can safely use the AN supplements in coco with MC as the base.

You already spent the money , do you have the basic like the connoisseur a&b . I’d say finish that way but not with MC not compatible . I’m in the same boat , I have enough for another run . If I don’t use them since I already paid for them then you and I wasted money !

You seem to be thinking that just because you have a beneficial microbe that all is good and all is better than if you didn't have the microbe. The problem is that you can have all the microbes you can cram in there but if they don't have any raw minerals to chomp on, break down and then provide raw nutrient to the plant, what good are they? They are not beneficial just because of their mere presence, they are beneficial when there is something for them to do in regards to the feeding cycle. In coco, there is nothing there for them. In a MC grow, the plant's needs are being taken care of with a new fertilizer that injects itself right into the plant... again, nothing for the well dressed microbes to do.

Perfect! I think that is where the disconnect was.

I was thinking there were hormones and larger molecules in the coco and MC for the microbes to feed on, like in soil.

I guess we also don't need mycorrhizae either because of the chelated minerals right?

So, how do we protect the roots from harmful bacteria in coco using MC? - or is this mostly a non issue?

Thanks for your time, and I will continue researching this.

Perfect! I think that is where the disconnect was.

I was thinking there were hormones and larger molecules in the coco and MC for the microbes to feed on, like in soil.

I guess we also don't need mycorrhizae either because of the chelated minerals right?

So, how do we protect the roots from harmful bacteria in coco using MC? - or is this mostly a non issue?

Thanks for your time, and I will continue researching this.
Hydroguard and or Z7 .

You already spent the money , do you have the basic like the connoisseur a&b . I’d say finish that way but not with MC not compatible . I’m in the same boat , I have enough for another run . If I don’t use them since I already paid for them then you and I wasted money !

How are things today @West Hippie ? Having fun learning and chatting?

Excellent question and this is going to pop up repeatedly as MC becomes more and more popular here.

I have AN Sensi Coco Grow A & B, B-52 and Voodoo Juice that I will be using up in my next coco/perlite grow. AN nutrients has a few articles posted on their web site about the benefits of using microbes with their nutrients in coco.

I will then finish off the coco/perlite bloom portion of the grow with MC.

I believe I am being told that using Great White, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, and Tarantula are not needed in coco when using the vegan chelated MC.

But I will be using Sensizyme and Open Sesame/Beastie Bloomz/Cha Ching sparingly and documenting the results for future growers here.

@Dutchman1990 is showing success with MC and BE - great news because I already bought both of them :)

I need to read @farside05 's post on PK enhancers again that @InTheShed pointed me to earlier. This is new information for me still, and I have not fully digested it yet.

I also need to investigate adding more Silica and Humic/Fulvic acids with MC - although it appears the Silica research with coco and MC is pretty much complete and documented by @farside05 .

PS: I am still trying to catch up on this thread's theory - and the info is pouring in very quickly :)

How are things today @West Hippie ? Having fun learning and chatting?

Excellent question and this is going to pop up repeatedly as MC becomes more and more popular here.

I have AN Sensi Coco Grow A & B, B-52 and Voodoo Juice that I will be using up in my next coco/perlite grow. AN nutrients has a few articles posted on their web site about the benefits of using microbes with their nutrients in coco.

I will then finish off the coco/perlite bloom portion of the grow with MC.

I believe I am being told that using Great White, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, and Tarantula are not needed in coco when using the vegan chelated MC.

But I will be using Sensizyme and Open Sesame/Beastie Bloomz/Cha Ching sparingly and documenting the results for future growers here.

@Dutchman1990 is showing success with MC and BE - great news because I already bought both of them :)

I need to read @farside05 's post on PK enhancers again that @InTheShed pointed me to earlier. This is new information for me still, and I have not fully digested it yet.

I also need to investigate adding more Silica and Humic/Fulvic acids with MC - although it appears the Silica research with coco and MC is pretty much complete and documented by @farside05 .

PS: I am still trying to catch up on this thread's theory - and the info is pouring in very quickly :)
@InTheShed is the one that got me started in MC . Glad I did when you run the full line of the ph perfect it got costly $400-550 a run . Now less than $20 a grow !
I have an organic farm north of me so when the north wind blows we get everything they’ve got. So to say I use Hydroguard after I adjusted the ph and Z7 every three days and I need to document it when I use it in my journals! My roots are Snow White ! As a matter fact I used both with the ph perfect nutrients also !

@DrCannaCanadian ...

AN nutes + MC =

:cheesygrinsmiley:

you don't need anything else. i'm in hempy and have had no use for hydroguard or z7 either. hempy is near identical to coco. only cheaper and easier. :)

Hey @EhCndGrower , nice to meet you, and what an incredible harvest!

Did you use any of your Advanced Nutrients supplements (not base nutrients) with your MC grow?

I'm trying to figure out if I can safely use the AN supplements in coco with MC as the base.
thanks Doc

Hard to say as I never have tried a Coco grow, and best leaving that to the experts here. As for my grow, once I got my Mega Crop I went down to using only A.N. Cal/Mag and Overdrive for 2 weeks of use. Only 2 plants showed the cal/Mag issue and are still growing in my tent as I type. My Canuk Seed Do-Si-Dos has been a real struggle from mid veg period in showing any health issues. Again should be fun to see with my next grow if these issues still show up with nothing but straight up Mega Crop use

For those that want to play with additives...have you calculated exactly what you're doing with those additives on an elemental/ppm level? If you follow Greenleaf's recommendations from their online calculator, and use all their products at the levels they say, you're basically feeding the equivalent of 7.25g of Mega Crop PLUS 50ppm of Potassium and 120ppm of Sulfur. Try just feeding 7.25g of Mega Crop and see what happens, let lone the other two increases. Odds are you'll get a crispy plant.

The amino acids won't hurt beneficial microbes. They starve to death as the precursors for the nutrients the plants need are consumed.

Coco by itself, or mixed with an inert substance like perlite, does not have the precursors for the nutrients the plants need. Recharge contains beneficial microbes that convert the precursors, when present, into the nutrients the plants require. Since there are no precursors, Recharge is wasted in coco.

Recharge is used with LOS or Living Organic Soil. It is wasted in any grow that uses synthetic nutrients. Soil that doesn't have synthetic nutrients can be referred to as Living Organic Soil. In most other circumstances the soil is simply a substrate used to anchor your plants.

If you want to use Carbohydrates, Great White, Voodoo Juice, Piranha, or Tarantula, you'll need to figure out how they will interact with Mega Crop. Throw away the hype, and take a close look at what these supplements really do, other than lightening your wallet. If you've never grown without them, I suggest side by side grows to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom