The Joy Of Growing - SweetSue Goes Perpetual

Ranger, that was beautifully poetic and incredibly reassuring. Thank you. I'll be letting that strength support me for a couple days. It's really good to have you there. :love:

I'm back home for the night. Think I'll unwind and find some music. No way of knowing what the morning brings, so it's a bit counterproductive to worry. Not sure how easy sleep will come now. (Saying that out loud may mean I'll be out and asleep sooner LOL!)

Don't want to shang-hai thread here, but...
DocBud and Xtrrchessreal are awesome!
Not only did they have superb diagnostic skills and the ability to see what is there, as opposed to what should be there, but they were able to express that and teach.
Again, apologies for the interruption, I had to toot some horn.
Respect

Don't want to shang-hai thread here, but...
DocBud and Xtrrchessreal are awesome!
Not only did they have superb diagnostic skills and the ability to see what is there, as opposed to what should be there, but they were able to express that and teach.
Again, apologies for the interruption, I had to toot some horn.
Respect

I couldn't agree more.

I think it would be really easy to overlook lighting needs when you first get a tent and an LED panel.

One thing I've noticed to be common with growers of outstanding plants -- they go overkill on the lights, sometimes putting 2x or more light in a given area than the lighting manufacturers recommend.

I wonder if theres any shift in perception when trying to get a feel for what the plant needs, like you did so masterfully under the cfls. Maybe with the little ones, use your cfls almost as though the LED panel wasn't there, until you can get the stuff you want for a shelf.:popcorn::slide::popcorn:

I think it would be really easy to overlook lighting needs when you first get a tent and an LED panel.

One thing I've noticed to be common with growers of outstanding plants -- they go overkill on the lights, sometimes putting 2x or more light in a given area than the lighting manufacturers recommend.

I wonder if theres any shift in perception when trying to get a feel for what the plant needs, like you did so masterfully under the cfls. Maybe with the little ones, use your cfls almost as though the LED panel wasn't there, until you can get the stuff you want for a shelf.:popcorn::slide::popcorn:

You mean like Graytail and his Land 'O Light? :laughtwo: Or Atrain and the way he completely surrounded his plants with light? Yeah.

My thoughts exactly on the seedlings, and almost at the same time. Whoa. Sometimes you guys make me pause. :laughtwo: I already did some shifting and will do more as time permits.

That mastery comment won you big points in my heart. :love:

It'll be a relief to get the CFL array done so the 7 gallon can sit right under the LED for now. Need to get through tomorrow first.

Thanks SS, I've heard its good stuff for a lot of bugs including these lil fookers. My plant is four wks into flowering, by puff dusting, do you mean over the plant or just on top of the soil/coco..? And what do mean by "laying it out on a sheet"?
Sorry for being a pain lol but I need to get this right first time..Cheers Sue :)

Dust over the surface. You want it finely dispersed as opposed to creating a depth of it on the surface. When you dust it on with some type of puffer it gets in all the tiny cracks that the critters crawl through. It exposes more DE surface area. If you look at pictures of these microscopic grains you'd understand why one would want more surface area exposed.

You couldn't be a pain shaun. The quest for knowledge is aided by asking questions. Anytime. :love:

Hey SS all looking good

Nothing wrong with CFl's as you proved in your last grow Sue, can you bring then down closer(1"-2" above) to those babies, it will stop the stretching.
As I understand LED's keep plants shorter compared to HPS, MH etc.
Got a question for you Sue, I've just discovered I have thrips, yes I said Thrips lol. I've just ordered some diatomaceas earth, I recall you using it on your last journal. Was it a 1" top dress?
One word for Thrips...Spinosad. It is OMRI listed for organic produce. Get some follow the directions, make sure you spray under the leaves and the tops until the plant(s) are dripping excessively. Do it again four days later. Optionally another four days after that. You will never see them again. I have provided the path it is up to you to take it:Namaste:

Heading back to the nursing home. He needs me. They did an X-ray and there's infection in the bone. Probably means amputation, probably tomorrow. Can't breathe.
Ugh...That is truly upsetting...Sorry Sue:love: ((((Sue)))) Hugs Stay Strong for Dale. We'll be here for you.

Thanks for making that clearer Sue, I'll certainly do that when it arrives :)

One word for Thrips...Spinosad. It is OMRI listed for organic produce. Get some follow the directions, make sure you spray under the leaves and the tops until the plant(s) are dripping excessively. Do it again four days later. Optionally another four days after that. You will never see them again. I have provided the path it is up to you to take it:Namaste:

Hey xtrchessreal, I did look into getting Spinosad but unfortunately I can't get it across the pond :( ..The DE looks like the best option for me right now, cheers for the input though eh :thumb:

Daily Update: Dark Devil Auto - Day 60

When I got home yesterday I did a bit of shifting of CFLs. I have a couple more to get in there over the seedlings, but the looming concerns of possible amputation have slowed that progress a bit. If I get home before lights out I can fix it a bit more, but then I have that new young man showing up around 6 tonight. How strange to meet someone who is already so significant in my life.

image25643.jpg

You can see here the shift I was able to get in. The seeds still awaiting germination are now under close CFLs, which will also give them a bit of heat. Geez. Should have done this at the beginning. OK Susan, no self-loathing allowed here. Correct and move on.

The germinated seeds are now more centrally located under the Dorm Grow LED panel until I can get more CFLs over them as well. Looking at some of the pictures today I can see where a bit more shifting is called for. Bit by bit.

image25644.jpg

image25645.jpg

Developing some nice tight nodes. Just what I want to see. I'm a bit partial to this little one. There's this strange energy around it that I find appealing. Strange that it's only this baby, but these are strange plants aren't they? They just seem to have personality.

image25646.jpg

Looking down on this array of seedlings (I managed to get all 7 that are up in this one shot - woohoo!) I see one that is obviously above and beyond the others in more than vertical height. See it, right there, almost dead center? Care to guess what strain? Hahaha! Bag Seed! Isn't that always the way? :laughtwo: I did say it was something special, which was why I not only saved the seeds but isolated them from the group bag seed collection.

image25647.jpg

Don't they look like a flock of tiny birds? :laughtwo:

Do you see how tiny that Kalasnikova is? Whoa.

On to our dear Dark Devil. Of course she got the 1/4 turn under the lights. Today the LOS pots also got the weekly aloe/coconut water drench (with 2.5 ml of Agsill 16H). I also added just a bit to the pots still awaiting germination.

image25652.jpg

image25648.jpg

image25650.jpg

image25652.jpg

image25653.jpg

Sweet trichome shots for your viewing pleasure. They give me goosebumps. :laughtwo:

image25654.jpg

image25655.jpg

image25656.jpg

She's changing over to rusty-colored pistils and starting to really smell. Yesterday, while relocating the CFLs over the germinating pots was the very first time she let loose with any fragrance. A sweet, mildly citrus scent, if I caught it right. It was exciting to smell one in bloom again. I'll miss that smell permeating the apartment, but I'll survive, I'm sure. :cheesygrinsmiley:

image25657.jpg

I'm still hoping to get the filtration/ventilation system up and running soon. Maybe after a few days wearing themselves out I can abscond with the lad who wants to bring grandchildren into the world with our daughter and get his help. He's taller and stronger than I and has some proficiency with tools. Might as well put him to work early, eh? He asked to join this family after all.

We're still waiting to hear back from Vascular Surgery about how they want to proceed. Twisting in the wind. Quiet enough to get this update done. Dale has lost his appetite and his stomach is beginning to act up. He's been sleeping all day. The infection at work, unfortunately.

As challenging as the day may present itself the inclination to spread joy overrides. I expect you all will find your own joyful expressions as we attempt to lighten the stress levels of the world. Give it your all. I assure you I will.

As I travel this path with Dale it's such a calming thought that I/we have all of you pulling for us. It makes all this madness more bearable. Ranger - powerful stuff. I'm intrigued in that I haven't been able to even slip towards panic since your reassuring spirit placed itself as my shield. Fascinating. Wish we could sit and talk about it over some of that delicious harvest you pulled down. It's not all that often I come across someone else adept at energy delivery.

Thank you all for keeping me company during this challenging time. I'd have been lost on my own. :love:

:Namaste:

Thanks for making that clearer Sue, I'll certainly do that when it arrives :)

Hey xtrchessreal, I did look into getting Spinosad but unfortunately I can't get it across the pond :( ..The DE looks like the best option for me right now, cheers for the input though eh :thumb:
You may want to do further research, from Wikipedia:
The females of the suborder Terebrantia are equipped with an ovipositor, which they use to cut slits in plant tissue and then insert their eggs, one per slit. Females of the suborder Tubulifera lack an ovipositor and lay their eggs singly or in small groups on the outside surfaces of plants. Thrips then pass through two wingless instars of nymph.
Thrips live on the plant so I don't think dusting the soil will do much of anything against them. They love to eat where the new growth is coming out but will eat just about anywhere on the leaves, you should see scars in the leaves and little black poop dots with a magnifier. You'll get used to seeing them with your eye. They have a yellow green hue, very small, if you think its dust look closer, put your finger on it and see if it starts to crawl away. There should be some kind of spray you can get for these but try to find one that is listed for organic produce if possible. Then you can wash you plants at harvest. Thrips infested three harvests before I knew what I was dealing with some people think they are gnat larvae crawling around, they are very different from a fungus gnat and even though they are described with wings they only hop a bit like a flea. It would be nice if a tutorial was made and placed on here so you can diagnose easily and see the difference between fungus Gnats and Thrips.
Good luck on your fight, I hate those bastards, don't bother with the insecticidal soap that was a joke against them at least for me. :)

We're in a holding pattern until Tuesday. Dale already had an appointment for then and the decision is to watch him carefully. If he slips over the edge the hospital is only 10 blocks away. Twisting in the wind isn't as much fun as the name would imply. :straightface:

I need to get home and prepare for meeting the man who believes my daughter is his soulmate. He's crippled in pain from driving coast to coast and she pulled her back moving furniture yesterday, so yours truly gets to carry his stuff up the 40 stairs. My gift to them.

What a strange week it's been.

You may want to do further research, from Wikipedia:
The females of the suborder Terebrantia are equipped with an ovipositor, which they use to cut slits in plant tissue and then insert their eggs, one per slit. Females of the suborder Tubulifera lack an ovipositor and lay their eggs singly or in small groups on the outside surfaces of plants. Thrips then pass through two wingless instars of nymph.
Thrips live on the plant so I don't think dusting the soil will do much of anything against them. They love to eat where the new growth is coming out but will eat just about anywhere on the leaves, you should see scars in the leaves and little black poop dots with a magnifier. You'll get used to seeing them with your eye. They have a yellow green hue, very small, if you think its dust look closer, put your finger on it and see if it starts to crawl away. There should be some kind of spray you can get for these but try to find one that is listed for organic produce if possible. Then you can wash you plants at harvest. Thrips infested three harvests before I knew what I was dealing with some people think they are gnat larvae crawling around, they are very different from a fungus gnat and even though they are described with wings they only hop a bit like a flea. It would be nice if a tutorial was made and placed on here so you can diagnose easily and see the difference between fungus Gnats and Thrips.
Good luck on your fight, I hate those bastards, don't bother with the insecticidal soap that was a joke against them at least for me. :)

Cheers for the info xtrchessreal, found the lil shits a few days ago, I'm in coco n water every day, have around 20% run off.. This is when i first saw them, lots of them all in the bottom of my tray. They look a white colour, very small n were bouncing around like fleas. Not seen any on the plant just in the coco. Seem to have a lot less in the run off after I sprayed them & also done a drench with Provado ultimate bug Killer..If I can keep them under control until harvest I'll be Happy... Around 4 wks to go then the coco gets dumped.
Would love to give Docs High brix kit a go but not sure I could get it here in UK..Oh well, I will persevere :thanks:
They resemble springtales..Now those I wouldn't mind:These guys resemble thrips, but are very small, clear, and can dart away quite quickly. Usually found in the runoff of pots after watering, having a springtail population isn't something to worry about. It is a sign that the soil biosphere (the rhizosphere) is balanced and in check. Springtails are known to eat spores and mycelia of pathogenic fungi that can cause damping off, as well as carry mycorhizzal fungi to root hosts, and control other forms of microlife that become imbalanced or disrupt the rhizosphere. Springtails are estimated to have some of the highest populations of any animals on earth, and play an important role in soil conditioning. :hmmmm:

Headed to the hospital. They're transferring him now. Decided waiting might not be such a good idea. I have no idea what to expect.

well i havnt been here for a bit and boy is that girl sexy lol... every thing is lookig pretty dam good here :goodjob:

It's a work in progress Professor. I've been busy myself and can't remember the last time I visited your grow. Maybe I'll get there later. Missed you. :love:

ahh your are not missing much , last thing i did was a bit of training really ,
been a busy bee with other gardening also , and ive did a little organic shop on ebay , selling crab meal, instant fertilizer teabags , ect lol

Well that's wonderful news Professor! You have an amazing creative streak and a passion for the gardening, so that sounds like a good move. Best of luck at the endeavor.

Back
Top Bottom