Here’s the reading on the clone and how she looks today. I flip her in 8 days. This feels like a good place for her, yes? 13.1 before the flip?

IMG_2514.jpeg

IMG_2515.jpeg

IMG_2522.jpeg

IMG_2523.jpeg

IMG_2524.jpeg

Question for the Lab:

Is it a good idea to add some form of sugar/carbs to your feed in organics or semi? If so what would that be? I have FF Bembe but it’s not organic enough I don’t think. (So far my inputs are simply Geo/RGR/bokashi/frass/Kelp Me Kelp You/Wholly Mackerel, all are rated organic, OMRI or the other one, and if that’s as close as I can come, what’s a good sugar?)

Thanks!

Day 54 of veg
20231006_140559.jpg

Well it's not my best canopy but at least it has light again.

I set the light at 50% which gives me 500 ppfd at the canopy 36" from the light. I will increase it gradually.

They are 20" tall so that should stretch me to 16" from the light if I flower now.

I guess I go in 1 day early.

The low light of the rescue strips stretched them out.

Tomorrow will be the 1st day of Flower.

Otherwise, they came through their ordeal quite well.

I need to get brix back up and watch for signs of bugs. They hardly drank any water this week so they should be well rested.

Tomorrow I will water in all the top dressing and mulch.

As they stretch out I will flex the colas into a more uniform forest. I only had to top 2 colas on the one back right plant, so when each of those coals doubled into 2, I plucked 1 off from each, so still 32 colas in total.

Question for the Lab:

Is it a good idea to add some form of sugar/carbs to your feed in organics or semi? If so what would that be? I have FF Bembe but it’s not organic enough I don’t think. (So far my inputs are simply Geo/RGR/bokashi/frass/Kelp Me Kelp You/Wholly Mackerel, all are rated organic, OMRI or the other one, and if that’s as close as I can come, what’s a good sugar?)

Thanks!
No suga, nope. You'll sever the relationship between the soil biota and the root exudates. You'll blind them. Nope

As Mr Bachman said "No suga tonight".

No suga, nope. You'll sever the relationship between the soil biota and the root exudates. You'll blind them. Nope

As Mr Bachman said "No suga tonight".
I've heard Gee saying that it is good to use blackstrap molasses to boost the herd but not so much that they become reliant on it. It sounds like it is fine if used for purpose. If you go to many of the links here, you will find where Gee recommends the use of molasses, with in-depth explanation.
Search results for query: molasses

Question for the Lab:

Thanks!
I use molasses once in the 1st tea they get and if I give a 2nd tea in flower I may or may not include the molasses, but too often and as @Graytail says, you will sever the tie between the microbes and the plant. The microbes will decide its easier to drink sugar water than wait for exudates.

Using it once or twice won't hurt though, it primes the pump, so to speak, and makes the microbes more robust, and gets higher brix up and running.

If you never achieve high brix so the plant can't support the microbes with exudates, and you didn't put enough carbon in your soil, organics will crash when the microbes run out of carbon.

Molasses is a great rescue tool at that point, and you may need it weekly to finish, but otherwise, only once or twice, and only in a microbe tea where a bunch of it gets eaten in the 24-48 hours you brewed the tea for.

High brix is mainly 5 inputs and light. Carbon, oxygen, calcium, phosphorus, and beneficial aerobic microbes.

If your brix are low, and your soil has good calcium and phosphorus, then oxygen will be fine unless you overwater, so all that is left is carbon and microbes, and they go hand in hand, so a primer of sugar, or better yet a microbe tea with sugar (blackstrap molasses is best, organic cane sugar is next best) will jack up the microbes. But if brix are good, as in over 12, you will do more harm than good.

If brix is stuck at 6 or 7, it will bump you up, but make sure cal and phos are correct 1st.

I use molasses once in the 1st tea they get and if I give a 2nd tea in flower I may or may not include the molasses, but too often and as @Graytail says, you will sever the tie between the microbes and the plant. The microbes will decide its easier to drink sugar water than wait for exudates.

Using it once or twice won't hurt though, it primes the pump, so to speak, and makes the microbes more robust, and gets higher brix up and running.

If you never achieve high brix so the plant can't support the microbes with exudates, and you didn't put enough carbon in your soil, organics will crash when the microbes run out of carbon.

Molasses is a great rescue tool at that point, and you may need it weekly to finish, but otherwise, only once or twice, and only in a microbe tea where a bunch of it gets eaten in the 24-48 hours you brewed the tea for.

High brix is mainly 5 inputs and light. Carbon, oxygen, calcium, phosphorus, and beneficial aerobic microbes.

If your brix are low, and your soil has good calcium and phosphorus, then oxygen will be fine unless you overwater, so all that is left is carbon and microbes, and they go hand in hand, so a primer of sugar, or better yet a microbe tea with sugar (blackstrap molasses is best, organic cane sugar is next best) will jack up the microbes. But if brix are good, as in over 12, you will do more harm than good.

If brix is stuck at 6 or 7, it will bump you up, but make sure cal and phos are correct 1st.
Perfect. Thanks! I have 2/3 of Yoda’s soil recipe and waiting on the last 6 ingredients and the tea recipe. He’s sending me a 5-gallon recipe. If it’s not here soon I’m gonna use yours if you think it’s fine for my situation. His is tuned to the clone, so I want to wait if possible. Meanwhile, my EWC will arrive today or tomorrow. Will that add a little Nitrogen?

Measured yesterday at 13.1 I feel pretty good going into flower in a week.

Perfect. Thanks! I have 2/3 of Yoda’s soil recipe and waiting on the last 6 ingredients and the tea recipe. He’s sending me a 5-gallon recipe. If it’s not here soon I’m gonna use yours if you think it’s fine for my situation. His is tuned to the clone, so I want to wait if possible. Meanwhile, my EWC will arrive today or tomorrow. Will that add a little Nitrogen?
If you can get the recipe the clone came from, I would try that one.

It should be good for nitrogen, assuming that the worms were fed a good mix of greens and browns.

If you can get the recipe the clone came from, I would try that one.

It should be good for nitrogen, assuming that the worms were fed a good mix of greens and browns.
Ha. Well, somehow the Zon didn’t go as far as telling me what the worms were actually fed. They all looked the same to my inexperienced eyes. So I went with one that was fed fully organic (they did say that) and was in the high end range of price.

I agree. 13 is a good starting point for flower, where it should climb.
Could you please check my understanding? For me, if I can spit it back at you in the form of accurate analogy, I get it. Regarding the sugar (I have the kill blackstrap organic unsulphured), if I get it, it’s like this: the microbes are my children. Sugar for my children is a treat, not a staple. You don’t give your kid Snickers bars with every meal. But once in a while and the kid is thrilled.

Is that a good way to think about it?

Ha. Well, somehow the Zon didn’t go as far as telling me what the worms were actually fed. They all looked the same to my inexperienced eyes. So I went with one that was fed fully organic (they did say that) and was in the high end range of price.
It will be fine Im sure👍

Back
Top Bottom