I am looking at light controllers. Has anyone had any experience with lights that dim on and dim off to simulate sunrise and sunset? Does it make a difference?
@Emilya Green is the one who's experimented the most with the far and deep red spectrums of whom I'm aware. UV at mid day as well.

@Emilya Green is the one who's experimented the most with the far and deep red spectrums of whom I'm aware. UV at mid day as well.
I know that's not exactly what you're asking, but she's a good resource for all things lighting. And watering. And deficiency issues. And bugs.

I guess just all around and every facet of the grow now that I'm listing them. Lol.

Yeah a UV/IR bar will be in the works for sure. Its the soft on/soft off thing I was really curious about. I can see it possibly having benefits but mostly I was wondering if the sunrise/sunset times would be part of the 12 hour lights on cycle, or would you sunrise, then 12 hours on, then sunset? If its part of the 12 on then it steals from your dli so an adjustment to hanging heights or light volume may be required.

20230625_144311.jpg
20230625_144324.jpg

Day 11 and the roots are bursting out everywhere on the 2 header. Its canopy is pretty cool for a clone.
20230625_151012.jpg

I wonder whats underneath in the perlite?

I think I might top both tops off the double header at the lowest node to make it a quad and then toss the 2 tops back into the Kloneking cloner and see if I can get 3 clones for the price of 1😎.

Hi I'm Gee and I'm an Organaholic.

I'm glad you finally found The Gee Spot😎

This will be a perpetual room for all to talk, brag, debate, and be proud of your plants in, with the quest for new and better knowledge. So if you got it flaunt it, past or present.

I will likely post grows in here as we science things but I will likely do other journals on the individual grows after a new or interesting topic is worth trying.

Talk about YOUR style of grow freely here, its not just about organics, thats just my thing.

I use Living Organic Soil with spikes and layers and right now SIPS, SWICKS, and anything sub-irrigated has caught my attention, so thats what I am working on at the moment.

20221213_084838.jpg

Here is a solo cup with a yarn wick hanging into an ice cream pail of RO water. The seeds were germinated in the cup.

20221223_124842.jpg

13 days after popping in the soil these are the roots. They aren't what I typically see. Normally its more fuzzy myco infested roots like the one by my thumb and this technique has feeder roots by the surface but as you can see there are water roots circling the bottom where the wick comes in.

20230107_102736.jpg

After uppotting to the 10gal the plants grew fairly well up top but nothing spectacular, just healthy.

The roots however burst through the bottom of the smart pot 15 days after transplanting and the pot is 15" tall so thats kind of cool. The roots poking out were big fuzzy myco infested feeder roots so it is looking good.

These are the plants at day 28 above ground, 15 days after transplant. They ( i started 2 seeds thinking it wasn't going to germinate....WRONG!) have been topped above the 3rd node to start the manifolding. They are regular seeds so hopefully I get a female.

I will eventually cut clones and try cloning straight into a 10gal pot. So far I have avoided my regular veg uppot to 1.66gals.

The light green color is my new led strip light, they are actually a very healthy normal green color.

20230108_055805.jpg

It all begins here in the worm farm.

I am travelling but on Thursday I will be home and will take photos of the bottom of the pot and the pad. The full setup. Its buried at the back of the veg tent so I couldn't get pictures.

Hopefully the pad will be root infested by then.

Its nice to not have to worry about watering👍

So stop on by, hang out, and tell us what you got going on.
hey Gee I take it, this is your worm bed? I did some research and pretty much understand what to do, but if you would double check my plan and tell me if im doing something wrong
Im kinda on a cheap budget wife does understand homemade EWC lol
any way here it is

I have a 27 gallon plastic bin (pic ) on my journal
1 lay my bedding they recommend a layer of sevral things to start I have tree mulch just to cover the bottom layer
2. add my medium I have a lot of FF happy Frog mostly a peat moss base. Im thinking about 8in of soil?
3, amendments I have Jobe compost activator and bokashi ,geo flora
4. 750 red wigglers
use the feed trough method (go to one side make a trough about 1to 2 inches fill with selected compostables and cover back up rinse and repeat to the other side every week. They say I should harvest EWC after I feed the other side.
I dont quite understand how to harvest the EWC.

my worms will be here at the end of the week I want to have the bed set ready for them. do you recommend anything? like I said this is all new. and if I am being a pest Please let me know, you have been a wealth of knowledge
thank you
Savvage61

20230623_134244.jpg

The good news is the clones on day 9 are doing fine. The double headed ones are popping roots at a much greater rate than single headed ones. Zoom in on the pot bottom.
20230623_150155.jpg

The bad news is that after 6 years of faithful, dependable, frosty growing my Perfectsun Goliath has lost a driver or 2. About a third of the lights were out this morning😪

RIP Goliath, I thank you for your service.

Hopefully it doesn't stop completely before the new light arrives.
Cutting edge light in it's time which wasn't long ago! Your plant is shaping up like the palms in It's a Mad Mad World! Nice work Gee!

Ooh nice folks have good grows with Spiders! Good luck with it! And topping the double just sets it up for the W! :cheesygrinsmiley::hookah:

hey Gee I take it, this is your worm bed? I did some research and pretty much understand what to do, but if you would double check my plan and tell me if im doing something wrong
any way here it is

1 lay my bedding they recommend a layer of sevral things to start I have tree mulch just to cover the bottom layer
2. add my medium I have a lot of FF happy Frog mostly a peat moss base. Im thinking about 8in of soil?
4. 750 red wigglers
use the feed trough method (go to one side make a trough about 1to 2 inches fill with selected compostables and cover back up rinse and repeat to the other side every week. They say I should harvest EWC after I feed the other side.

my worms will be here at the end of the week I want to have the bed set ready for them. do you recommend anything? like I said this is all new. and if I am being a pest Please let me know, you have been a wealth of knowledge
thank you
Savvage61
I think this is a great start. You actually get out of it what you put into it. The greens have a lot of moisture in them so don't overwater it.
20230626_143557.jpg

Thx Gee I'm cant wait till i get my worms, my grandkids will wanna go fishing. Ill keep track of my worming adventure in my journal , in case ya wanna check it out later. Ironicly I just got done talking to my son and me been talking about doing some clones. so I was planning making a DIY 5gal bucket cloner. so the links on your sig are like fate Ill be reading your cloning sip/swick article tomorrow.
Thank you

any way here it is

4. 750 red wigglers

thank you
Savvage61
This sounds good Savvage. If it gets too wet add more browns and if its too dry add more greens. It wont take long until you get the hang of it. I save all my greens in ziploc bags in the freezer and once a week I feed the worms. I use a drip maker coffee pot so I try to include 1 used filter in every ziplock bag as well.

Cutting edge light in it's time which wasn't long ago! Your plant is shaping up like the palms in It's a Mad Mad World! Nice work Gee!

Ooh nice folks have good grows with Spiders! Good luck with it! And topping the double just sets it up for the W! :cheesygrinsmiley::hookah:
Isn't it amazing how far LED has come in the last 6 years.

@Savvage61 here is what I did with my worm farm today. It was harvest day so I emptied out the bottom tray and got 4 gallons, 21 pounds, of EWC.
20230627_155750.jpg
20230627_155755.jpg
20230627_152002.jpg

I set the tray up on top, its got hundreds of holes machined into the bottom, and add a layer of my worm mix soil.

Its 1 part used soil, 2 parts coco, and then perlite to however you like it, so I go 2 gals coco, 1 gal used soil, and 1 gal perlite and the trays are 4 gals so perfect.

This is about a half inch of soil, 2 teaspoons of soft rock phosphate dusted over, then another half inch of mix. Thats my base. Probably close to a gallon.

20230627_152214.jpg

Then I layer some frozen shake leaves I crush up, I call it weed meal.

20230627_152236.jpg
Then a bag of frozen scraps microwaved up.

20230627_153200.jpg
More soil and all my ammendments.

20230627_153407.jpg

More scraps and weed meal.

20230627_153527.jpg
More dirt.

20230627_153553.jpg
More meal.

20230627_155517.jpg
The final layer.

In a week it will be settled enough for another bag and in 2 weeks right before another tray gets set on top it will take on its last bag of scraps and soil.

This sounds good Savvage. If it gets too wet add more browns and if its too dry add more greens. It wont take long until you get the hang of it. I save all my greens in ziploc bags in the freezer and once a week I feed the worms. I use a drip maker coffee pot so I try to include 1 used filter in every ziplock bag as well.
Hi Gee, do you keep all the coffee grounds in the filter for the farm? thanks for a great tutorial!

@Gee64 I read/heard dont use anything with seeds I belive I seed peppers are some seeds ok? I do understand about greens and yellows but Im gonna copy and paste some stuff on my journal especially the pic of the instructions on the wormer. do I Inder stand this correctly does the final product work its way to the bottom tray > or do you harvest each tray?

Back
Top Bottom