But that would require water roots, not soil roots, no? And we find in SIPs that it usually takes a couple of weeks for the roots to adapt.

I know you're not planning on keeping the soil overly wet but I can say, as a quite accomplished overwaterer, replanting into overly wet soil doesn't sound like the best idea.
If they pop out still shaped like solo cups then I will repot conventionally, but if I have to wash the roots then they will already be wet, and without a myco link I have no chouce but to feed hydroponically. Whatever roots are in there will take in at least some nutes from the wet soil.

Cloth pots remember, so it won't actually be that wet, and air is available all around.

I just need the soil to be completely and homogenously wet so the feeds percolate everywhere, missing no roots, so a full pre-wetting (which I recommend on any uppotting or cloning) is really the only way to do that.

So I got home from a fantastic week and a half of beach and forest and the grow still looks unhappy.

To the point that I'm about to start a 2nd one in the veg tent and if these ones don't come around I will feed them to the worms.

So before making a bad decision I went back over my soil recipe just to double check and I think I found the problem. (Yeah I'm a stoner SMH) lol all you lurkers and new growers, this will make you smile, probably even belly laugh. You seasoned pro's can all line up to tell me I'm an idiot, and you will be correct. @Keffka ... you go shush in the corner🤣. I already fucked a hundred bucks worth of seeds. Just because I would rub it in on you (in a fun-loving ribbing of course) doesn't mean you can beat me up for a stupid mistake lolol.

My recipe is for 20 gallons of soil, so I'm reading thru it and it says 7 cups of prilled dolomite. I'm thinking WTF??!!. 7 is what I need for 40 gallons, which is the amount I use at once, but making 20 gallons per tub, I should have used 3.5 cups, and thats with the 25% extra added in as recommended by the light manufacturer.

So I double-calciumed the mix, well double-dolomited to be exact. The gypsum and oyster shell flour are correct. No wonder nothing is working. I'm surprised they didn't die on the spot. Tough plants.

So the 2 remaining used Durban pots will get rebuilt tomorrow, correctly this time, and we shall try again.

I have some soil left over from the successful Durban grow so I may start some seeds in solos in a couple weeks to get things rolling unless this current grow perks up.

If I have to push the reset button then all this hot soil will get scattered around my outdoor veggie gardens.

Thats 3.5 cups of dolomite per 10 gallons. Poor plants, it should be 1.5-1.75 per 10 gallons.

The worst part is I used 10 gallons of beautiful EWC in that big pot😭.

Stupid Gee! Stupid Gee!

At least I found the problem.

So if any of you are using the recipe I posted in here. It should read 3.5 cups dolomite per 20 gallon batch, not 7 cups per 20 gallon batch. Sorry if I screwed you up.

IMG_7349.jpeg

Well that was weird.

I’ve been having weird issues on the site lately. I will be typing out a message and it will try to replace one of my sentences/paragraphs with a sentence/paragraph I’ve already written prior in that same message. It’s weird and makes it so I’m constantly fighting to get my words correct.

I think cutting the soil and all of that is a good idea but I think you risk drowning your plants tbh. Also speaking as an accomplished over-waterer.

Well that went surprisingly well, unless your name is Lucky Lady. She didn't survive a 2nd transplanting, and RVDV 1.0's rootball fell apart upon extraction, but I think she will be fine.

As for Iklwa, LC-18, and RVDV 2.0, their rootballs popped right out still shaped like solos. No roots got torn at all.

They got transplanted into a mix of 12 parts used Durban soil (which was awesome stuff😎 the entire rootball was already decomposed in the pot so I didn't need to add any soil carbon.) 5 parts EWC, and 3 parts perlite.

I also added a generous dose of myco.

20240203_151733.jpg

RVDV 2.0.

20240203_152837.jpg

LC-18.

20240203_153528.jpg

Iklwa.

20240203_161859.jpg

When RVDV 1.0's rootball fell apart I quickly dropped her into her pot and buried her in. I didn't get a picture of her rootball but it was the same as the others before it crumbled.

They are now all fully drenched and resting comfortably.

If they like this soil I think we should see roots poking out the walls of the pot within 2 weeks.

Now I need to empty the 40gal. Tomorrow I will dig the lettuces, spinaches, and kales out for transplant and start emptying the pot out.

I have 40 gallons of Rev's soil cut with compost stored in tubs outside, and what will become 80 gals of soil from the tent once it gets remixed, so that 120 gallons will give me 12 10gal pots to grow autos outdoors this coming summer, so a silver lining I suppose😔.

This watering was just with RO water. Next watering, in probably 5 or 6 days, will be the fish water.

So now we wait....

20240203_161911.jpg

Root balls look great, will establish themselves just fine
I'm quite hopeful. They survived the night quite well. They have a better color already.

20240204_072613.jpg

Ikky.

20240204_072600.jpg

RVDV 1.0

20240204_072603.jpg

RVDV 2.0

20240204_072554.jpg

LC-18.

The green is more vibrant on the new growth and the turgidity is up a bit so they are moving water already. Today I'll empty out the 40gal. Ughh.

They look infinitely better Gee man.
I really feel for you with that soil. Sorry you have that to do.
Once I saw my mistake all their issues made sense.

When I get all this soil cut and cooked, it will actually be kind of nice to have all my Summer auto soil ready. I need to start some serious auto seed shopping.

Hopefully in a few more days we will see some actual growth starting on these Ladies.

20240204_141233.jpg

Here they are with the big pot gone.

Tomorrow I will lower the light and set the intensity.

20240204_141731.jpg

I transplanted the best kales and lettuces.

I gently shook the roots off and they didn't wilt so lets see what tomorrow brings.

They are in the left over soil from the transplanting. They all got myco'd too.

Once I saw my mistake all their issues made sense.

When I get all this soil cut and cooked, it will actually be kind of nice to have all my Summer auto soil ready. I need to start some serious auto seed shopping.

Hopefully in a few more days we will see some actual growth starting on these Ladies.

20240204_141233.jpg

Here they are with the big pot gone.

Tomorrow I will lower the light and set the intensity.

20240204_141731.jpg

I transplanted the best kales and lettuces.

I gently shook the roots off and they didn't wilt so lets see what tomorrow brings.

They are in the left over soil from the transplanting. They all got myco'd too.
Tell me about your auto thoughts?

Tell me about your auto thoughts?
Well I want to start them indoors and when they have 4 weeks left to harvest I want to put them outside.

I'm legally allowed 4, so every 2 weeks put 2 more out, and harvest 2, all summer long. I think I can cycle 6 sets of 2 thru before winter sets in.

I don't care about strain, I just want 3' - 5' tall colorful decorative patio plants. There are so many to choose from.

Whats the prettiest strain you have ever grown?

I'm wide open to suggestions if anyone knows of really pretty ones. I want show plants.

I love that! I suggested to another grower who had the capacity to do it, to select only colourful varieties as a hobby. They aren't interested but you are. That's so fun! Google "colourful weed" and go down some rabbit holes. You could try Dark Devil as an experiment. A lot of people have had smaller plants with the Dark Devil but it is a beauty. Forbidden Cherry is one I would like to try. It looks exquisite. There are several that have champagne colours and so on. You could have a lot of fun growing contrasting colours.

I love that! I suggested to another grower who had the capacity to do it, to select only colourful varieties as a hobby. They aren't interested but you are. That's so fun! Google "colourful weed" and go down some rabbit holes. You could try Dark Devil as an experiment. A lot of people have had smaller plants with the Dark Devil but it is a beauty. Forbidden Cherry is one I would like to try. It looks exquisite. There are several that have champagne colours and so on. You could have a lot of fun growing contrasting colours.
I was completely taken with my Dark Devil grow! There's something about them! That's just growing them! Smoking them is another thing! Heavenly in so many ways!
I'm quite hopeful. They survived the night quite well. They have a better color already.

20240204_072613.jpg

Ikky.

20240204_072600.jpg

RVDV 1.0

20240204_072603.jpg

RVDV 2.0

20240204_072554.jpg

LC-18.

The green is more vibrant on the new growth and the turgidity is up a bit so they are moving water already. Today I'll empty out the 40gal. Ughh.
Didn't take long!
Well I want to start them indoors and when they have 4 weeks left to harvest I want to put them outside.

I'm legally allowed 4, so every 2 weeks put 2 more out, and harvest 2, all summer long. I think I can cycle 6 sets of 2 thru before winter sets in.

I don't care about strain, I just want 3' - 5' tall colorful decorative patio plants. There are so many to choose from.

Whats the prettiest strain you have ever grown?

I'm wide open to suggestions if anyone knows of really pretty ones. I want show plants.
Maybe talk to Jon. He's grows some great and large autos. Justin Goody too!

Back
Top Bottom