My yield will be relatively small on the oil run, as I only did one wash on the plant matter.

The weed was headed for the worm bin so I figured I would make oil instead.

The 1st wash is the best product. After that, each successive wash starts to grab plant matter, so I don't bother.

I could easily double my yield, but I don't smoke the oil, I use it for cannagars and I give it away, so I'm good with skimming the creme of the crop and letting the lesser grade stuff go to the composter.

20240115_070943.jpg

Its wake ' bake time😊. My 1st go at a prime cola. I had to cut them down to size to fit them in the jars. DP Shorty #1.

I use a device called a Source Turbo made by Extractcraft.

I use 190 proof Everclear.

I do not.

It's pretty simple really. You dump the wash in, close the lid, put the ice on top and press the button.

The 1st 2 hour run removes about 60% of the alcohol, and the 2nd run will over-still it to tar if you run another 2 hours, so I set a timer for 1 hour, and start watching it closely.

When it visually gets almost done, you stop the machine, open it, and dump the remaining mixture out on a silicone mat for the last bit of alcohol to evaporate.

Then I use a big darning needle to roll up the oil from the mat and put it in a container.

The final evaporation on the mat usually takes 24-48 hours.

Thank you very much Gee. You know that’s awesome sauce right there- I’m bookmarking! It’s precisely whats needed to get small batches with consistent results. It will be a platform from which I can learn.

a quick glance Source Turbo is 600 bucks, and over at bezos-mart 560 with 2 silicone vials plus a mat to the front door. Was not expecting that price point but it will obviously pay for itself

good to know 60% recovery rate, that’s big coin right there.

do you use lethecin for bioavability?

this will get me started, I’m sure to have more questions later

thank you!

Thank you very much Gee. You know that’s awesome sauce right there- I’m bookmarking! It’s precisely whats needed to get small batches with consistent results. It will be a platform from which I can learn.

a quick glance Source Turbo is 600 bucks, and over at bezos-mart 560 with 2 silicone vials plus a mat to the front door. Was not expecting that price point but it will obviously pay for itself

thank you!
What I meant by 60% is that you have to run a crucible of wash through 2 times to fully evapotate it.

The 1st run, which takes 2 hours, removes about 60% of the alcohol. A second run is needed, but if you let it run the full 2 hours again until it shuts itself off, you will over-cook the oil. It turns to tar.It varies from 90-105 minutes on the 2nd run.

So what I do is get it down to about 75-ish % evaporated, turn it off, and pour the oil/alcohol mix out into a jar.

Every run I collect the concentrate in the jar and then distill the concentrate in 1 or 2 second runs.

That lowers your 2nd runs, which lowers your chances of screwing up and over cooking the oil. You need to stand at the still and watch closely after 60 minutes of the 2nd run.

Also, you need a bigger silicone mat (2 really) than the free one. Cooking stores sell them cheap for rolling dough on and things like that.

Heres a cool tip. The cheap silicone mats are a woven cloth coated in silicone. You can take a darning needle and dip it in the hot oil, use the grid pattern of the mat weave as a guide, and quickly oil out a spot the same size as a rolling paper, (I usually do 6 when I do it) then you let it finish venting. A day or 2 later you lay a paper on the dry oil, gently rub your warm finger on it, and the paper will stick. Then let it cool, peel it up, and you have a perfectly oiled rolling paper. Party favorites every time!😎.

You can lay layers of parchment paper between the papers, and stack them up. I put them in a greeting card and a ziplock bag, and store them until needed.

If you like filters in your doobies, compensate for that when you put the oil out. It's way easier than trying to oil a paper.

I do the extra long papers and make my cannagars with those. 2 papers per cannagar for the larger ones.

thank you!
I don't decarb anything. This oil will all get smoked.

that’s fantastic!!

mostly use pre roll cones to minimize paper and not a fan of bongs or pipes because of constant relighting. But I’m hoping to reduce combustion intake by mostly dosing with RSO, the plan is to tack it or eat it, then use my Arizer vape to adjust the meds. For the wash I normally do a long soak in the freezer so my starting wash is green and I’m ok with that for now. I really want to reduce or eliminate the ole smokers cough.

great I’ll grab more silicone mats and a turkey baster. Hopefully I’ll be making oil this weekend

20240115_103512.jpg

This is a close up. The dark liquid in the center is my wash. The metal cup that it's in is heated from below.The condensation is alcohol running down the glass to the outer chamber where you can see the line where the liquid is collecting. Only oil is left in the cup in the end.

20240115_103520.jpg

In this picture you can see bubbles of alcohol bubbling up the back wall in the cup. It isn't a rolling boil, it's more like a series of small burps. Every once in awhile a huge burp jumps up and splatter gets into the recovery alcohol. Crucible #3 did it.

20240115_103459.jpg

It looks like this. Now I have to distill this again to recover the oil and clean the alcohol. It happens from time to time.

20240115_103341.jpg

This is all the condensate from jar #2, the 2nd darkest colored one.

If you do make some, grab some pics if you don't mind. I have had a couple people ask about RSO now, so I would love to see your process. Do you journal it?

Will definitely make some pics along the way. I‘m all over the place on journaling, sometimes yes other times stuff is too chaotic

Typically I do quick wash and drip drain for 4 hours, then a 4 hour soak followed by another drip drain, then a 24 hour soak, drip drain and done. Yes all the soaking and drip draining steps are done in the freezer.

This last wash was 600 grams of fan leaves and it took 8 bottles of 151 to wet it all down, lost about a bottle and a half in volume to the biomass. I just wanted to use up those fan leaves but will probably add more buds and do another wash with each bottle.

Oh wow yes collecting all the concentrate and then going for 2nd or 3rd pass sounds really good too.

So I guess in moonshine terminology we are collecting the tails of the distiller run? Got bad news from my mechanic today so I may be doing the double boiler method for another month, but that source turbo is too nice to pass up. I‘m convinced it will pay for itself in Everclear costs savings, can’t wait to get fully onboard.

the wash starts out in the crucible cup but the alcohol gets distilled off then mixes with the ice in top chamber, condenses and drips down the glass sides to collect in the outer chamber while the sticky oil stays in the center crucible cup.

Big guy I really appreciate the detail you’ve went to. The part about 1 run of 2 hours cook time but watch the clock and consistency of the oil on the 2nd pass is golden. Boom there it is… 90 to 105 minutes for the 2nd pass. Roger that but will be on pins and needles for the first few runs.

I may go dark for a minute on car repair but I’ll be back with that shiny distillery gadget under my thumb before long!

thanks again Gee, you rock!!!

Will definitely make some pics along the way. I‘m all over the place on journaling, sometimes yes other times stuff is too chaotic

Typically I do quick wash and drip drain for 4 hours, then a 4 hour soak followed by another drip drain, then a 24 hour soak, drip drain and done. Yes all the soaking and drip draining steps are done in the freezer.

This last wash was 600 grams of fan leaves and it took 8 bottles of 151 to wet it all down, lost about a bottle and a half in volume to the biomass. I just wanted to use up those fan leaves but will probably add more buds and do another wash with each bottle.

Oh wow yes collecting all the concentrate and then going for 2nd or 3rd pass sounds really good too.

So I guess in moonshine terminology we are collecting the tails of the distiller run? Got bad news from my mechanic today so I may be doing the double boiler method for another month, but that source turbo is too nice to pass up. I‘m convinced it will pay for itself in Everclear costs savings, can’t wait to get fully onboard.

the wash starts out in the crucible cup but the alcohol gets distilled off then mixes with the ice in top chamber, condenses and drips down the glass sides to collect in the outer chamber while the sticky oil stays in the center crucible cup.

Big guy I really appreciate the detail you’ve went to. The part about 1 run of 2 hours cook time but watch the clock and consistency of the oil on the 2nd pass is golden. Boom there it is… 90 to 105 minutes for the 2nd pass. Roger that but will be on pins and needles for the first few runs.

I may go dark for a minute on car repair but I’ll be back with that shiny distillery gadget under my thumb before long!

thanks again Gee, you rock!!!
Mad scientist in the extreme.

What size particles is the Leonardite?
I don't get the question? It's a natural occuring mineraloid and should exist in many different shapes or forms depending on if you order it from a manufacturer or source it yourself? Lignite is available globally if you know what to look for.

Do you mean what I get locally? It's like fine gravel in texture in the bucket, many different size particles depending on if you dissolve it in solution or not.

Cheers!

Didn't @StoneOtter make his own carts? Someone on here did. Maybe @ReservoirDog @Preston9mm ?
I did. Straight oil tempered with low heat over time to loosen it. That didn't work out as good as I want. Then with terps and a thinner. I wasn't thrilled with that comparing it with a good e-nail like the @Ispire Daab or @Xmax Daboo. There was always a burn or taste I wasn't in love with, and the cart had issues finishing sometimes. A good smash vaped in an e-nail at proper temp makes me feel so fine!
Do please keep trying! I'd love to use a cart and battery for portability and just plain ease!
Part of my problem is I find winterizing a pita and won't do it. So many hoops vs my e-nails! A stoners choice. :)

Mad scientist in the extreme.

thanks Jon but not so sure about the science part!

for me a better descriptive would be…. redneck with iPad having the uncanny ability to simultaneously attract garden pests and kill weed plants of any strain!

that’s my standard lie and I’m sticking with it!!!

Quick update for ya Gee. When i moved the plants out of the tents into the sunlight, i put them where my summer grows occur. Last weekend when i wasnt working, i realized the plants were mostly shaded due to the sun low in the southern sky. I moved them to the longest sunniest spot i have and know they are drinking and stretching like they should. Minor set back but they are rallying out of it.

20240118_162047.jpg

TMSC - Day 30
I have some kind of issue with this batch of soil. The 4 smaller plants are 30 days old and are stunted in growth with leaf damage all over. My suspicion is too much soil calcium for this strain. It has also been very cold for 2 weeks now, with daytime temps only in the low 70's. So that isn't helping either. I will have to run a soil ph test, and go from there. My only options are to see this grow through regardless of outcome, or to scrap it and do another Durban Poison run to get it's 1st grow over with. For now I will formulate a plan, and try things out to fix it. I will get to work on that starting tomorrow. I also scrapped the reveg. I want those pots rebuilding in case I decide to toss this soil.

20240119_091912.jpg

All 5.

20240119_091918.jpg
Iklwa.

20240119_091922.jpg

LC-18.

20240119_091927.jpg
RVDV 2.0.

20240119_091933.jpg

RVDV 1.0.

Wild Lady, the plant in the middle, had a terrible go at transplant so I am not judging anything by her reactions.

On a brighter note, I got an ounce of honey oil😎.

So a ph test tomorrow, and possibly a tea, as well as a full covering of EWC watered in with fish ferts. I also have the 1st root popping on one clone. It took a really long time, but again, cold temps.

20240119_091912.jpg

Have you done a slurry test? These sativas I hear need it up there. Temps too, gotta be over 64F/17.7C for some for that mag uptake.
An ounce is a lot of cannagar material! Sweet!
I put the heater on high and I will do a soil ph test tomorrow. Too much family stuff today. Then formulate a plan.

TMSC - Day 30
I have some kind of issue with this batch of soil. The 4 smaller plants are 30 days old and are stunted in growth with leaf damage all over. My suspicion is too much soil calcium for this strain. It has also been very cold for 2 weeks now, with daytime temps only in the low 70's. So that isn't helping either. I will have to run a soil ph test, and go from there. My only options are to see this grow through regardless of outcome, or to scrap it and do another Durban Poison run to get it's 1st grow over with. For now I will formulate a plan, and try things out to fix it. I will get to work on that starting tomorrow. I also scrapped the reveg. I want those pots rebuilding in case I decide to toss this soil.

20240119_091912.jpg

All 5.

20240119_091918.jpg
Iklwa.

20240119_091922.jpg

LC-18.

20240119_091927.jpg
RVDV 2.0.

20240119_091933.jpg

RVDV 1.0.

Wild Lady, the plant in the middle, had a terrible go at transplant so I am not judging anything by her reactions.

On a brighter note, I got an ounce of honey oil😎.

So a ph test tomorrow, and possibly a tea, as well as a full covering of EWC watered in with fish ferts. I also have the 1st root popping on one clone. It took a really long time, but again, cold temps.

20240119_091912.jpg
What's the soil amended with so we could better help? First impression is a to big pot for the size of plant and a overly dry medium. Then I saw the smaller plants, it's not a good idea to mix different stages of growth in one single regular pot. The lower temps will worsen the problems. You seem to mix styles of growing and that's not always a good idea.

It looks like you grow several plants "No-til" in one single regular fabric pot where a regular temperature controlled garden bed would be superior for your style of growing by better keeping water, temperature and gives bigger and better space for roots and microbes to flourish.

Reusing soil and soilless mediums are fine but you get better results by resetting, sterilizing and re-buffer the medium to get it back to its original state before re-use.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom