Where did you get this little gem? :love:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
That would be an Extractcraft Source Turbo I believe, a bit pricy but would be a good investment for somebody doing a lot

Its called a "Source Turbo" and it's made by Extractcraft.

It has a vacuum pump inside the still that causes negative pressure, which allows Everclear to evaporate at a much lower temperature, so 102F distills it, but no terpenes get burnt.

It evaporates up, contacts the cold glass lid with the ice pan on it, and condenses.

The lid is on a slight angle, so the condensate runs to the back and down into the recovery chamber.

The post that the crucible screws onto in the still has a heating element in it.

It's slick for small batch craft oils.

When it's done and still warm you pour it out onto a silicone mat. I'll post more pic's tomorrow as the process plays out.

I'm in BC. Getting the Everclear was the tough part. I had to go to Alberta (ughhh, face-shake so lips warble) to get it.

I find the real trick is getting all the Everclear out, but not to the point that the oil goes gummy. You still want a very small amount of Everclear in it just to be able to pour it out, then let the residue alcohol vent off.

It's a pain, so I condense my oil until I only have a small amount of really potent tincture, and then finish it only once or twice, instead of every run.

So I collect the condensed liquid for the final runs.

20240112_175102.jpg

Here is the 1st load of condensate. It's about 1/3 of what I started with.

20240112_175823.jpg

So I pour it in here for now. I will collect every run's condensate in here.

20240112_175107.jpg

Tool of the trade.

20240112_175122.jpg
It collects the alcohol from the recovery chamber to return to it's bottle.

20240112_175336.jpg

The glass chamber lifts off.

20240112_175307.jpg

Here's the heating post that the crucible screws onto. The vacuum nipple is above.

So round #2 is going now, and when it finishes I will add the condensate to the jar. Rinse and repeat until all I have is condensates of each strain, then I will finish them.

This is how my week will go.

It's going to take a few days to get through it all. Ice is the limiting factor. The still eats it faster than the freezer makes it.
Freezer freeze some blocks of ice overnight outside in the cold

I have never used iso, somehow food grade makes me feel a bit better, but for topicals it may work great. Would you have to decarb it 1st for topicals to work?
I'm going to make it with my blend of 40% each cbd and cbd-a, and 5% each cbg, cbg-a, thc, thc-a, so plan to decarb half.

I made some infused cbd lotion with grape seed oil that seems to work well, but has to be remixed after it sits a while as the oil wants to separate from the lotion.

I'm hoping the extract won't have that issue.

I'm going to make it with my blend of 40% each cbd and cbd-a, and 5% each cbg, cbg-a, thc, thc-a, so plan to decarb half.

I made some infused cbd lotion with grape seed oil that seems to work well, but has to be remixed after it sits a while as the oil wants to separate from the lotion.

Very cool😎.

Is there a better place or worse place to apply topicals, or does it matter?

Try adding in a little bit of tween20/polysorbate20 under heat and it will sort the separation issue!

Cheers!

Very cool😎.

Is there a better place or worse place to apply topicals, or does it matter?
There is a thread somewhere that suggests a good place is the pad of tissue at the base of the skull where it connects to the spine. I think @InTheShed talks about that for the salve he makes.

Have you tried an emulsion? I want to do this myself. Ive been doing a little research, got any favorite sites?

Emulsion?

I've been turning my stuff into dust and decarbing half in my Instant Pot, and then making up my blend so I already have the mix in blend form, just need to extract it into something for use in a lotion, so that's why I thought I'd give the iso a go.

Emulsion?

I've been turning my stuff into dust and decarbing half in my Instant Pot, and then making up my blend so I already have the mix in blend form, just need to extract it into something for use in a lotion, so that's why I thought I'd give the iso a go.
Many different types of binding agents are food grade, to stop the separating. just a thought might not work at all in your case . I would like to see how JWA acts as a binder. It should work decently and be safe for many uses.

I don't know what that is. :(
Emulsifier agent. Used in everything from soft drinks, lotions, creams and shampoos. Very common in making your own lotions and DIY stuff. It will make your lotions work better since it lessens surface tension and increase uptake. Google is your friend!

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom