Great write up @Gee64 I'm curious if you can help with my issue. I need to fill pods and carts. I don't have bud to use but plenty of hash. How would I prepare hash for cart? I don't have a press I can buy everclear and I'm not worried about recovering the alcohol ATM. Thanks
I have turned kief into oil before, but I have never made cartridges. You just mix the kief and the alcohol together until all the kief has dissolved, then distill it or let the alcohol evaporate.

If you choose the evaporation route, find a dust free place as dust sticks to oil really well.

When it comes to thc, alcohol has a saturation point, so if you don't use enough alcohol it won't fully absorb all the thc and some may go to waste if it gets left behind.

This is even more important when rinsing weed, as you throw the weed away after the alcohol wash, so you want to make sure you never fully saturate the alcohol.

You can rinse more than once, but quality degrades with every rinse. So always use a little extra alcohol just in case.

I recover mine so it's a no brainer. If you buy new alcohol every run, weigh the pros and cons 1st.

There is a thread somewhere that suggests a good place is the pad of tissue at the base of the skull where it connects to the spine. I think @InTheShed talks about that for the salve he makes.
Well-remembered Azi! Not the salve (no THC), but the topical pain oil works well when applied to the spot where your spine meets your cervical vertabrae, called the Medial Dorsal Rami (MDR) explained in my post here. From a video on the Green Flower Network, that is an area where the never ending move from the spine to the neck and are close to the skin. Additionally, it's an area where those nerve connections are unmyelinated, meaning they don't have a covering on them and may be more susceptible to the effects of the oil.

Applying oil to the MDR can deaden pain signals from anywhere below that spot. It's also good to have as much THC in the oil as you can squeeze in there. I aim for at least 15mg/ml oil, and use grapeseed for fastest absorption.

Great write up @Gee64 I'm curious if you can help with my issue. I need to fill pods and carts. I don't have bud to use but plenty of hash. How would I prepare hash for cart? I don't have a press I can buy everclear and I'm not worried about recovering the alcohol ATM. Thanks
If you give it a go on converting the hash to oil for the cartridges, can you drop in and let us know how it goes/went, or if you journal it can you tag me please?

Didn't @StoneOtter make his own carts? Someone on here did. Maybe @ReservoirDog @Preston9mm ?
Otter did but wasn't crazy about the results in an attempt to reproduce a live resin cart. @BakedARea created a thread for the way he (successfully) makes his (with liquidizers):

the winterization step with hash is probably important to get all the crud out that otherwise won't vape well in the cart.
I know it sure makes for clean oil😎.

The coolest part is that at -27, the alcohol pretty much doesn't evaporate, so when you take a sniff of the elixir, all you smell is terpenes.

Starting to show. This is the Acapulco Gold.
20240113_085421.jpg

Otter did but wasn't crazy about the results in an attempt to reproduce a live resin cart. @BakedARea created a thread for the way he (successfully) makes his (with liquidizers):

Man, I thought it had only been a couple months since I last talked to Baked, but apparently he hasn’t been around for almost 2 years now. Anyone know if he’s doing okay?

Starting to show. This is the Acapulco Gold.
20240113_085421.jpg
Nice! Is that the 1st touches of crystal I see deep in the center?

How is the weather? I just checked sunrise/sunset for San Diego, which I figured is fairly close to you, and you have until March 15th before the days go over 12 hours. Will you try to finish the grow outdoors?

20240114_075953.jpg

Here's where the oil making is at. I got the darkest jar run thru. 6g in one container, 7g in the other, and whats on the mat. The mid colored jar is going thru now.

20240114_104339.jpg

Freezer freeze some blocks of ice overnight outside in the cold
A marvelous idea. I found some containers just the right size so it's a chain gang now🤣 Lemonade anyone?😎🤣

Looks nice & clean making some myself its -35 c 50c windchill or for you Americans -31f -56f windchill
51 grams of trichome shake

IMG_5294.JPG

Nice! Is that the 1st touches of crystal I see deep in the center?

How is the weather? I just checked sunrise/sunset for San Diego, which I figured is fairly close to you, and you have until March 15th before the days go over 12 hours. Will you try to finish the grow outdoors?
Hope to finish outoors. March 15 would put me at 11 weeks so i have some wiggle room. Im just outside if San Diego, weather is good, only had a frost scare once.

I thought it might be trichs too bit maybe dew, will look again. Happy growing!

Hey Gee64,

Appreciate this info. I’ve made a few batches of RSO but really must learn consistency plus how to reclaim that guvment taxed radiator brew. Once you do the quick wash- how do you separate the oil from the booze before reclaiming the alcohol?

Have you tried boosting 151 thru distiller to get higher proof before the quick wash?

Do you decarb in advance?

After doing double boiler method a few times think I’ve got the concepts down but just in case…. What else do I need to know either procedurally or specifically about Source Turbo to get the job done?

peace out

Hope to finish outoors. March 15 would put me at 11 weeks so i have some wiggle room. Im just outside if San Diego, weather is good, only had a frost scare once.

I thought it might be trichs too bit maybe dew, will look again. Happy growing!
That’s pretty far south if my high school geography is any good.
Hope your not getting frost or we are all in trouble this far north 🥶
I know parts are really getting it bad.
Stay warm.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Hey Gee64,

Appreciate this info. I’ve made a few batches of RSO but really must learn consistency plus how to reclaim that guvment taxed radiator brew. Once you do the quick wash- how do you separate the oil from the booze before reclaiming the alcohol?
I use a device called a Source Turbo made by Extractcraft.
Have you tried boosting 151 thru distiller to get higher proof before the quick wash?
I use 190 proof Everclear.
Do you decarb in advance?
I do not.
After doing double boiler method a few times think I’ve got the concepts down but just in case…. What else do I need to know either procedurally or specifically about Source Turbo to get the job done?

peace out
It's pretty simple really. You dump the wash in, close the lid, put the ice on top and press the button.

The 1st 2 hour run removes about 60% of the alcohol, and the 2nd run will over-still it to tar if you run another 2 hours, so I set a timer for 1 hour, and start watching it closely.

When it visually gets almost done, you stop the machine, open it, and dump the remaining mixture out on a silicone mat for the last bit of alcohol to evaporate.

Then I use a big darning needle to roll up the oil from the mat and put it in a container.

The final evaporation on the mat usually takes 24-48 hours.

Back
Top Bottom