I have seen 2 schools of thought on what is considered to be the 1st day of flower.

One is the flip date, which I consider the 1st day, because thats the day you triggered the process.

The other is that Day 1 is when the 1st pistils appear.

Well I don't really agree with that and here is why.

If you let your plants get old enough to be properly sexually active, before flipping, you will already have pistils showing while still in veg, so if you go by when the 1st pistils show, you could be counting veg days as flower days.

I don't flip anything if the preflowers aren't out.

I have had mother plants under 18/6 showing pistils in veg for 3 years, and when you cut clones they already have pistils when you cut them, so 14 days in a cloner and 14 days to root in would mean you are on day 28 of flower, but you are still on 18/6 and just barely rooted in. That makes no sense.

However, the day I flip I also see pistils, as they have been there since veg, so I guess if you veg correctly, flip day is the 1st day of the flower cycle that you see pistils on, so flip day covers both bases.

If you don't see any pistils before flipping, you are flipping too soon. It will cost you on harvest day.

Just because the nodes are staggered doesn't mean she's ripe to breed yet, she needs pistils showing, just as a 13 year old girl can get pregnant, but a 21 year old girl will carry a healthier pregnancy.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it🤣
This is my first time learning about needing to wait on pistols to go 12/12. I have always put mine into flower when they were the right size for what I am doing. And this is almost always before pistols show. I thought my grows were doing very well with averaging about 12 oz's per 3x3x6 or 2x4x6 tent. The smoke seems good quality also. What can I expect if I veg. til pistols form besides a plant possibly too large for my tent? Sorry if that sounds like I am being a smart-ass but it's a serious question? I am constantly sweating the stretch, hoping they stop stretching and still need to monster crop from time to time. Thanks.

I have seen 2 schools of thought on what is considered to be the 1st day of flower.

One is the flip date, which I consider the 1st day, because thats the day you triggered the process.

*stigmas

If you let your plants get old enough to be properly sexually active, before flipping, you will already have pistils showing while still in veg, so if you go by when the 1st pistils show, you could be counting veg days as flower days.

*stigmas
*stitmas

I have had mother plants under 18/6 showing pistils in veg for 3 years, and when you cut clones they already have pistils when you cut them, so 14 days in a cloner and 14 days to root in would mean you are on day 28 of flower, but you are still on 18/6 and just barely rooted in. That makes no sense.

*stigmas
*stigmas

However, the day I flip I also see pistils, as they have been there since veg, so I guess if you veg correctly, flip day is the 1st day of the flower cycle that you see pistils on, so flip day covers both bases.

*stigmas
*stigmas

If you don't see any pistils before flipping, you are flipping too soon. It will cost you on harvest day.

*stigmas

Just because the nodes are staggered doesn't mean she's ripe to breed yet, she needs pistils showing, just as a 13 year old girl can get pregnant, but a 21 year old girl will carry a healthier pregnancy.

*stigmas

Other than that, looks good 🤣

This is my first time learning about needing to wait on pistols to go 12/12. I have always put mine into flower when they were the right size for what I am doing. And this is almost always before pistols show. I thought my grows were doing very well with averaging about 12 oz's per 3x3x6 or 2x4x6 tent. The smoke seems good quality also. What can I expect if I veg. til pistols form besides a plant possibly too large for my tent? Sorry if that sounds like I am being a smart-ass but it's a serious question? I am constantly sweating the stretch, hoping they stop stretching and still need to monster crop from time to time. Thanks.

You can expect even higher quality smoke with greater yields and far greater resin production. There is a noticeable difference in terms of taste and quality. If you need a percentage, it’s a 30% improvement in quality, minimum.

Plants don’t produce their full potential unless they are sexually mature. It’s hard to really illustrate it but once you’ve tried growing to maturity it will change everything. If height is an issue you can be a little more aggressive with your training

You can expect even higher quality smoke with greater yields and far greater resin production. There is a noticeable difference in terms of taste and quality. If you need a percentage, it’s a 30% improvement in quality, minimum.

Plants don’t produce their full potential unless they are sexually mature. It’s hard to really illustrate it but once you’ve tried growing to maturity it will change everything. If height is an issue you can be a little more aggressive with your training
That's what I needed to know. I think I will try it out on my next grow. They are seedlings now. Cool, thanks Keffka.

I count day 1 of flower as the first day I see a flush of pistils all around, not the individual ones as you suggest. You can see the leaves change where they'll form. I do it this way as it gives me more patience on the back end since I don't get to the breeder estimate as quickly. Helps keep me from harvesting too early.

What's SIP if you don't mind me eavesdropping here? lol. I just learned a valuable piece of information about the over-large, papery leaves. Thanks.
A SIP is a Sub-Irrigated Planter, and is a specialized design of a grow pot that allows for a water reservoir below, grow mix above, and and air gap in between .

Come check out #SIP Club for more detail. The first page gives a pretty good summary and I have a design post on the second page for those who might want to build their own, though there are commercial versions for sale as well.

Generally if the plant is growing with opposite, rather than alternate, nodes it is not sexually mature yet. I don't always see pistils stigmas ( :laughtwo: ) even when I have alternating nodes, so it's the nodes that I look for to judge whether it's ready for flip.

Thanks Gee, totally makes sense and i learned something. I really appreciate the lengthy responses

Durban Poison - Day 71

20231218_164714.jpg

Here's what is left of the pinkish pheno. It's in the veg tent now for a reveg. The colas are hanging. 955 grams.A bit less but I left some behind here for the reveg, so it's pretty close in yield to the 1st two.

20231218_165234.jpg

The mace-head pheno is a conundrum. The trichs say most likely tomorrow, but it's tossing out new calyxes and really lush hairs and the resin is forming white clusters all over. 😎

20231218_165240.jpg

20231218_165247.jpg

20231218_165303.jpg

Truth is, I don't really grow. I pretend to so I can hang out with you guys without it being creepy. :cheesygrinsmiley:

It's all book learnin'. Hope it's convincing enough. 🤔
Either that or you’re actually a bot.

Durban Poison - Day 71

20231218_164714.jpg

Here's what is left of the pinkish pheno. It's in the veg tent now for a reveg. The colas are hanging. 955 grams.A bit less but I left some behind here for the reveg, so it's pretty close in yield to the 1st two.

20231218_165234.jpg

The mace-head pheno is a conundrum. The trichs say most likely tomorrow, but it's tossing out new calyxes and really lush hairs and the resin is forming white clusters all over. 😎

20231218_165240.jpg

20231218_165247.jpg

20231218_165303.jpg
I don’t know much, but I have had buds like this before with the trichome/new growth conundrum. In my limited experience, sometimes those odd, sort of foxtail-looking (but not) growths will just keep growing. And growing. And popping just enough white to tell you not to harvest. Meanwhile your normal trich assessment, which has always worked fine, is all out of whack. I go by trichomes. Under LED I find they rarely lie. Just me.

Back
Top Bottom