The Capn's Simple Hydroponics Cook Off - Goal: 1lb Indoors - Journal

So I am back with internet at home! Yee Haw, Got lots n lots of pics but it might take me a while to get em all up. That and I am currently upgrading one of the 200 square foot rooms so as of tomorrow I am going to be gone for a few more days, no net.

Here is some pics of possible entries
OG Kush by Reserva Privada
DSCN047312.JPG
DSCN04065.JPG
DSCN04606.JPG

Critical Plus from dinafem I believe
DSCN04925.JPG

Here is a side by side of the 2 critical + Clones taken in July. Ones in Advanced #4 and the other in the grodan grow cubes a.k.a. croutons
DSCN04747.JPG

Here is a few pics of the cap'ns method one or my version of it. Its a 5.8 gallon air pot with an incorporated hydro halo 12" with like 54 holes. Its got a 1/2 inch input which works great. I have to put the finishing touches on it this weekend. Its also under my first ever H.I.D. which I believe was bought in 2001? Its a 400 watt MH which I will use for two weeks and if it cools down in my area soon the last two weeks I will veg it under a 1000 watt MH I have in storage. The first say ten days this cut did nothing but now it has a stalk bigger than its older sisters in their 6th week of flower lol. Cant wait to see this bad girl bloom.
DSCN05067.JPG

DSCN05127.JPG
DSCN04876.JPG
DSCN04869.JPG

I will do my best to really stay updated on this journal which shouldnt be hard to do as I dont even have a solo journal up right now. With moving, kids starting school and the room building I am swamped and hardly home. Hope to be able to retire in ten years lol
"I'll Be Back" with more pics and data
Welcome Back Cap'n! Soon I hope lol

Is that a ballast on the floor next to those water tubs?

Yeah but its not turned on or is it going to be. Thanks for pointing that out. Wouldnt be good at all if it were. In fact its not even in the same room right now. was just test hanging the light and wanted to ee how much cord length I have to work with. I will build a shelf for it this weekend. Would actually like to have it in the next room but with so much change getting ready to happen with all rooms I will probably opt for the temp. shelf. Thanks again sky bound.

hey S1ing looking great! :) love the air pot / hydro halo intergration. my only thoughts are when I ran air pots I had to water in the middle to keep the water from running out the holes in the sides. with the halo all the way to the outside edge your going to have to water slowly.

the larger container your using on the bottom of the rack is the same container I used as my controller res (epicenter).:)

+reps bro

:Namaste:

hey S1ing looking great! :) love the air pot / hydro halo intergration. my only thoughts are when I ran air pots I had to water in the middle to keep the water from running out the holes in the sides. with the halo all the way to the outside edge your going to have to water slowly.

the larger container your using on the bottom of the rack is the same container I used as my controller res (epicenter).:)

+reps bro

what kind of medium were you using? I know I used to use them with soil and yeah I dont think it will work but these small grow cubes i am hoping it will wick twds the center. If not? Back to the drawing or should i say growing board lol
Have a great weekend all I am getting ready to limp the 4wd 65 miles to the ranch with a bad radiator, got a new one but ALL my tools are at my ranch. I'll be crossing my fingers I get there as I let our AAA lapse, DUH! dang it.
TTYS monday evening prob, then again I might not be going anywhere lol. Got to our the plants suffer

what kind of medium were you using? I know I used to use them with soil and yeah I dont think it will work but these small grow cubes i am hoping it will wick twds the center. If not? Back to the drawing or should i say growing board lol
Have a great weekend all I am getting ready to limp the 4wd 65 miles to the ranch with a bad radiator, got a new one but ALL my tools are at my ranch. I'll be crossing my fingers I get there as I let our AAA lapse, DUH! dang it.
TTYS monday evening prob, then again I might not be going anywhere lol. Got to our the plants suffer

yeah I was using soil, so maybe your right about the cubes. they look like little sponges . I would definitely set the pump on low and water slowly.

hope all goes well with your auto mechanics adventure this weekend. :)

Is that a ballast on the floor next to those water tubs?

This pic is for you sky bound, thanks again for pointing the danger of having the ballast on the floor near water. I know its kinda ugly right now but its safe
DSCN05226.JPG
DSCN05233.JPG
DSCN05216.JPG
DSCN05207.JPG
DSCN05339.JPG

This last pic is dedicated to my friend "The Cap'n" and I want to send a BIG thanks! his way for helping me to give the grow cubes a try, so far they are responding better than anything else I have done in a while. These "Cookies" are approx. 2 weeks out of the turbo kloner and they are looking great. I used the cap'ns recipe for a live solution in the res. of the cloner and this is the first month this year ( I take cuts on the 1st every month) that the cuts looked as good coming out of the cloner as they did going in, no joke, being 100% honest. Perfect and fully rooted in less than 10 days. I am hooked.
DSCN05045.JPG

Just some pics, still have a couple of things to do for the top feed to be automated. I have to get it done quick cause 6 am on thursday I go under the knife. Trust me theres no way anyones keeping me from being back up there the same day I get my surgery, lol. Unless they give me enough Demerol? DOubt it lol

so yeah the OG Kush that has been topped three times and defoliated a bit due to it being crammed in between so many others. It's in its own 5.8 gallon (equivalent I think?) airpot made by super roots with a 12 inch hydro halo aka watering ring that utilizes a 1/2 inch inlet which ought to work well. I will have it set for 6 feeding every 18 hours and will continue to veg. under the 400 watt Meta Halide for another couple of weeks unless the heat breaks and I can put it under the 1000 watt MH I have in storage.
I am super tired from working up there so much lately and have to go back tomorrow but will do my best to update this journal proper like asap.
Mid Sept. thry Mid November ought to be real interesting, can't wait.
Looking fwd to seeing current pics of the entries, how many we have only 3? Sure wish B.I.D. could have entered with his new LED lamp he's testing. Maybe next time.
Remember everyone were still vegging until 9/15 so if anyone has one going theres still time to enter

Off subject but the Biggest Pheno I have of Cookies I call #1 are so big I had to remove the 4 by 8 tray and set them on the floor in plastic drip pans and good thing cause there tall and BIG, looking great for 2 weeks from flip. 9 under a 1000 is still to many

It has been a month since I made an update... but you've all seen a plant grow before. My orange clone started off slow and then has really taken off in the last couple weeks.

I have been watching sling's updates and his plants are looking really nice. I have some tough competition. In the meantime, I have been learning how the orange grows. It is supposed to be a 55-65 day strain but after 65 days there were very few if ANY amber tricks. So I let it go another 9 days. So anyway, my grow will probably take a week longer than sling's indica.

I am still using the same recipe for nutrients. To make my water, in a 5 gallon bucket, I start with 4-5 gal of RO water, then I add 15-20ml of calmag, 20ml florablend. This should put your PPM around 200 (if you started with 0ppm water). Then, add 15ml grow, 10ml micro, and 5ml bloom. This is about 25% of the suggested dose on the chart, and should put your mix around 600ppm @.5 conversion, which is all I use up until the last couple weeks of veg. After mixing, I check the PH. Mine lands right around 5.8. I'm also adding a splash of liquid sea weed, and making tea once a week.

Here are a couple pics of the transplant I just did. Nice white roots, even though I'm using the florablend and seaweed. As you can see I waited a little too long and roots were piled up on the bottom of the pot. I'll let it go in this 3.5 gal pot until a week before flower and then I'll move to the 6gal air pot.
roots89.jpg

re-pot.jpg

I've been busy making my 4x4 double decker SCROG for this puppy. I'm using 3/4" PVC, nylon string, and drywall screws, 4" apart. Here it is. It just barely fits in my grow room, so I'm going to make a way for it to mount on the walls, rather than from the floor. I'll post again when we go to flower!
scrog37.jpg

She's a looker for sure. Can't wait to see her fill up that double screen!

im trying to figure out how to mount my scrog too. Havnet even made it because cant think how im going to get it to hold up! i want the container to be mobil so some how i have to attach it to the base :hmmmm:

Most I've seen are like a table with 4 legs. Cap'n made the last minute decision to mount to the wall. Mine will be on 4 legs, here's the net;
DSCF11504.JPG

@jlt1202
I began reading your first journal and noticed you use the smart pots. Thinking I'll advance to that as well based on your statements. Maybe you can get something like those conical shaped trellises used for tomato plants and increase the angle of it as soon as it leaves the smart pot. This way it is planted in your pot and is mobile with the pot, and a ScrOG net can be fashioned to the top of it as they are made of metal and can be cut to whatever dimension you want. I once planned to use this idea for outdoor grows in the tree tops, but never got that idea off the ground.

@jlt1202
I began reading your first journal and noticed you use the smart pots. Thinking I'll advance to that as well based on your statements. Maybe you can get something like those conical shaped trellises used for tomato plants and increase the angle of it as soon as it leaves the smart pot. This way it is planted in your pot and is mobile with the pot, and a ScrOG net can be fashioned to the top of it as they are made of metal and can be cut to whatever dimension you want. I once planned to use this idea for outdoor grows in the tree tops, but never got that idea off the ground.

Shhhhhhhh.......LOL......treetops...hehehe!

JLT... I saw your post the other day, but forgot to mention, happy to have you along! You better give that baby some steroids so you can catch up ;-)

I'm not sure what your container looks like but maybe this will give you an idea?

I used pvc fittings to attach it to the container. This SCROG is only 2 x 3 but you could use some 45 degree fittings to make it bigger.

SysB.jpg

I love playing around with PVC, you can make anything with it.

Back
Top Bottom