The Capn's Simple Hydroponics Cook Off - Goal: 1lb Indoors - Journal

I am chompin at the bit to get my a$$ back up there and do some weaving with those tops. Three runs with white trellis netting (Thanks Shottafire soon to be a.k.a. Sept. 13 MOTM)and one with metal wire fencing and thats the experience I have with scrog. I do know that there will soon be plenty of stretch to work with and should have no problem filling that screen.I got the 5 by 4 matrix my old friend Gator showed me on the brain, throw in a few pics from back in the day of some rock wool cube trees and I know what I will try next year when I get a mini split.
For now my full attention will be trying to put the cap'ns methods into a production schedule that can work in my situation, well that and netting 16 zips dried in this cook-off, I'm going to leave the 20+ mark for the capn. for now that is hahaha

Flip day#1 is here! Critical + by dinafem, she's a first generation clone from the original seed mom.
image4165.jpg

Well its Sunday.
image4280.jpg

I love the fullness of the plant before and then squished down under the screen! I am going to have to go back are read this journal from the start :)

:thumb: + Reps!

As promised, I installed my 600W apollo metal halide bulb, in attempts to limit stretch on the orange. Not much else to report. Branches are growing up thru the screen and I'm starting to pull them back and point to the next square. I changed 5 gal of the 10 gal in my res and I'll run the next week at 750-800ppm again. Res temp 70-72, PH 5.8-6.

1week2.jpg

As promised, I installed my 600W apollo metal halide bulb, in attempts to limit stretch on the orange. Not much else to report. Branches are growing up thru the screen and I'm starting to pull them back and point to the next square. I changed 5 gal of the 10 gal in my res and I'll run the next week at 750-800ppm again. Res temp 70-72, PH 5.8-6.

1week2.jpg
I guess the MH Bulb is whats confusing me but this ORANGE is the cook off plant right?
Thanks cap

Noob question. Does the runoff drain down into the 5 gal bucket and get recirculated into the plants?

Yes this is recirculating top feed, similar to what we do in flower. However, during vegetative growth stages, I typically hand water to waste. I only recirculate with a timer when I'm out of town.

There is so much knowledge through this journal it is making my head tingle. I PM'd for the oil recipe. I will have to look up the heisenberg's tea recipe. I need to measure the height of the containers + approximately plant height of 36 inches tall and wide to see if I can consider growing this way in my space. If not I could probably do it on a smaller scale.

I love the tid bits about plant height, width, tops of 40 or more. Top drain vs other styles of grow. Some much experience! Great stuff!!

Very interesting. You have me thinking.

I will be glued to updates :)

There is so much knowledge through this journal it is making my head tingle. I PM'd for the oil recipe. I will have to look up the heisenberg's tea recipe. I need to measure the height of the containers + approximately plant height of 36 inches tall and wide to see if I can consider growing this way in my space. If not I could probably do it on a smaller scale.

I love the tid bits about plant height, width, tops of 40 or more. Top drain vs other styles of grow. Some much experience! Great stuff!!

Very interesting. You have me thinking.

I will be glued to updates :)

Scar, glad to have you along.

Oil recipe sent. Check my "live or sterile" article for details on the Tea. I use it once a week and it is amazing.

As far as plant height... I control the height with any strain. This Orange pheno is the tallest growing I've had. One trick is to top very early to start the first split of the stem. Then when you get another couple nodes, top again. Then tie down the two main branches to get them growing OUT instead of UP. Make use of most of your lower branches instead of cutting them off. Forget the stuff you've read about "lollipopping" and "opening up the lower portion of the plant for better airflow". That style of growing is more for when you grow many plants crammed together.

Check my article on "bend and top" for more info on training.

I just checked out your CFL grow. That's one of the nicest CFL / dirt grows I've ever seen. VERY nice. I'm going to read it from start to finish when I get time... After looking at your plants I see you top early as well. It would be neat to see you do another grow... side by side, one dirt, one grodan grow - cubes. But you would need to commit to watering at least once a day.

As far as plant height... I control the height with any strain. This Orange pheno is the tallest growing I've had. One trick is to top very early to start the first split of the stem. Then when you get another couple nodes, top again. Then tie down the two main branches to get them growing OUT instead of UP. Make use of most of your lower branches instead of cutting them off. Forget the stuff you've read about "lollipopping" and "opening up the lower portion of the plant for better airflow". That style of growing is more for when you grow many plants crammed together.

I love your method of growing Capn, even though I'm new at this, I have developed a belief to top early and use the Veg process to develop a very low and broad footprint, but I had to wait till my next grow to test that theory. No need now as you have just confirmed it.

Question, can these methods be applied to growing a 100% sativa indoors? I really want to head down that road if possible b/c I like the stone of a sativa so much more than the Indy's.

I love your method of growing Capn, even though I'm new at this, I have developed a belief to top early and use the Veg process to develop a very low and broad footprint, but I had to wait till my next grow to test that theory. No need now as you have just confirmed it.

Question, can these methods be applied to growing a 100% sativa indoors? I really want to head down that road if possible b/c I like the stone of a sativa so much more than the Indy's.

Thanks Sky. Yes you can do sativa the same way, however it will take some extra care once it gets into flower, and it is difficult to get an even canopy. You may need to top unruly branches two weeks into flower after they have come thru the screen and getting too tall. For me, I don't have the patience to wait 12+ weeks for sativa strains... but if I had the time I prefer them too.

Your plant is looking great, BTW. Keep up the good work.

So last night, I was doing my thing, Capn style... and had to share with you this picture. NO NO, I'm not talking about THAT kind of picture. ha ha ha.

This will be the next plant going into flower... in about a month. This plant was transplanted from 1gal to 2 gal only 2 weeks ago, now I put it in a 3.5 gal pot. And then will go into a 5.8 gal air pot and then flowered. I'm certain the fantastic root growth comes from using the beneficial tea I brew weekly. I never use h2o2, DM zone, or any chlorine type product.

And all I can say is... if you're not "doin' it Capn Style", I don't know what the F--K you're doin!!!!!! Aren't you tired of dirt everywhere? I turned this upside down with one hand, pulled the pot off with the other, then flipped it into the 3 gal pot, and the plant doesn't skip a beat. Notice the root penetration all the way up the pot.

transplant15.jpg

Can't wait to try it out, I just hope I get so lucky. I will follow your instructions to the letter.

Got some tea brewing as I type. Trying to keep an eye on the temps too. Had to cut more roots out (x4), but the plants are showing no signs of wilt yet. Another day and I will be able to give them a spot of tea. Hope to get new white roots and some new growth. Little baby buds are starting to show. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom