@Azimuth
What is your go-to strain for CBD?
In the coming spring I will be growing just for CBD. I'm on the market for the best strains.
I started with AC/DC which is a high cbd / low thc pheno of cannatonic and about 16-30:1 depending on what pheno you get, at about 15% cbd.

But that one's a sativa leaner and was too odorous for a stealth grow so I've switched to Blueberry CBD from WSE (don't know if they're still a sponsor) and that one's an indica leaner which I prefer.

That's a cross between DJ Shorts' famous Blueberry strain and a high (but undisclosed) CBD strain. Lots of good terpines in it and that's my workhorse.

Charlottes' Web is another good one, and a sativa leaner.

I started with AC/DC which is a high cbd / low thc pheno of cannatonic and about 16-30:1 depending on what pheno you get, at about 15% cbd.

But that one's a sativa leaner and was to odorous for a stealth grow so I've switched to Blueberry CBD from WSE (don't know if they're still a sponsor) and that ones an indica leaner which I prefer.

That's a cross between DJ Shorts' famous Blueberry strain and a high (but undisclosed) CBD strain. Lots of good terpines in it and that's my workhorse.

Charlottes' Web is another good one, and a sativa leaner.
Thank you! I am an Indica gal.
I will look in those. I believe I still have some Blueberry seeds, but I got them from a grower friend and I'm just not confident enough that's what they are, if you catch my drift. LOL

Infused Zucchini & Tomato Pasta

Makes approximately 5 Cups

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 medium onions, chopped
8 large tomatoes, chopped or cherry tomatoes, or canned tomatoes
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 C. grated parmesan (optional)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt (adjust as needed if this seems to much)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Hot cooked pasta
Thc Powder or other infusion to your tolerance level. Use a dosage calculator if needed.

Directions:
In a large saucepan, melt butter with oil over medium heat. Add onions, cook and stir until tender, 5-7 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, zucchini, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until zucchini is tender and sauce reaches desired consistency, 50-60 minutes.

While that's simmering, cook your pasta to al dente. Reserve a cup of the pasta water, then drain. Add the THC powder, or infusion of your choice to the sauce and stir well, simmer for a couple of minutes on medium/low, then add your pasta. If it looks to dry, add a little of the reserved pasta water.

Serve topped with a little fresh grated parmesan and sprinkle a little THC powder.

THC Powder Using Tapioca Starch

I followed this Recipe:

EQUIPMENT​

• Mixing bowl
  • Whisk or wooden spoon (I used a large metal spoon)
  • Measuring cup or digital scale
  • Mesh sieve or flower sifter

INGREDIENTS​

• 30-60ml cannabis oil (infused MCT oil works best, but any infused oil will get the job done)
  • 250g of tapioca maltodextrin (a food-grade starch powder derived from tapioca, similar to potato or corn starch powder)
  • 1 teaspoon of liquid or powdered sunflower lecithin (a natural emulsifier derived form sunflowers that's amphiphilic, meaning it is soluble in both water and fat)

Mix the Tapioca starch and Lecithin in a bowl, combining well. (I tried my Kitchenaid mixer, and that was not the best way to mix this up)
Using a large spoon, drizzle the Cannabis oil into the powder a little at a time, mixing and smashing the powder as you go. If you put it in all at once, it's going to make a lot of extra work for you trying to combine it.

Once it's well mixed start running it through a sieve into another large bowl. Use the large spoon to swirl and gently push it around in the sieve to get it through. Once it starts getting clumpy and thickish, I found it very helpful to add a large spoonful of already sifted powder to the sieve and mixing it around again. I did that a couple of times and it did help from getting a stuck layer in the mesh of the sieve.

I think this is more of a powder consistency than the maltodextrin was. I will be putting some in liquid later to see how it performs.

I have a question to all who have tried making powder. How much cannaoil did you use? 30 to 60 ml seems a small amount into the 250g of starch. Surely that doesn't get you high? How are you dosing with the powder folks?

Notes on water soluble cannabis powder:-

I made up a batch using the recipe given in this thread (250g starch: 1tsp lecithin: 60ml cannabis oil). I went with 60ml cannabis oil instead of 30ml, and feel I could have gone with more.

I used corn starch because I had some to hand.

At 00h00 I took a tablespoon of powder in a glass of milk. At 01h00 I took two more teaspoons in a cup of tea. I feel high but not sure if it is from the powder, also it's a mild high. I think I will mix the rest of the oil into the the starch and have it crumbly as opposed to powdery. I'll run it through the sieve again.

Before I mix the balance of the oil into the powder, I will test the oil for potency. I made the oil using about 30g flower covered in EVOO. I infused it in a double boiler for 16 hours with a cooling down period in between.

Ideally this powder should be quite potent so that it lasts and is economical. It's pretty pointless turning my precious weed into oil and then powder if it isn't going to go very far.

It is waaay more palatable than oil and pretty easy to disguise in a drink, hot or cold.

I am now properly high and it is 90 minutes after my first dose, and 45 minutes after my second. I will run another test tomorrow morning with a wake and bake. It will be interesting to see how long the high lasts.

I hope this is helpful to others who are experimenting with the powder and working out dosing.

Notes on water soluble cannabis powder:-

I made up a batch using the recipe given in this thread (250g starch: 1tsp lecithin: 60ml cannabis oil). I went with 60ml cannabis oil instead of 30ml, and feel I could have gone with more.

At 00h00 I took a tablespoon of powder in a glass of milk. At 01h00 I took two more teaspoons in a cup of tea. I feel high but not sure if it is from the powder, also it's a mild high. I think I will mix the rest of the oil into the the starch and have it crumbly as opposed to powdery. I'll run it through the sieve again.

Before I mix the balance of the oil into the powder, I will test the oil for potency. I made the oil using about 30g flower covered in EVOO. I infused it in a double boiler for 16 hours with a cooling down period in between.

Ideally this powder should be quite potent so that it lasts and is economical. It's pretty pointless turning my precious weed into oil and then powder if it isn't going to go very far.

It is waaay more palatable than oil and pretty easy to disguise in a drink, hot or cold.

I am now properly high and it is 90 minutes after my first dose, and 45 minutes after my second. I will run another test tomorrow morning with a wake and bake. It will be interesting to see how long the high lasts.

I hope this is helpful to others who are experimenting with the powder and working out dosing.
This is the kind of feedback we need to get. Experimenting and learning as we go.
When you test tomorrow, see if the high comes on any faster. Mine has been hitting between 20 and 30 minutes the last couple of times. Definitely faster than when I used to have edibles regularly each day.
I get high on mine, but different strains and different dosages are going to be key players for me because I'm just getting back into this after a few years away.

How did the cornstarch do for dissolving in the drinks? Any residue at the bottoms?

Truly appreciate your detailed results and information, Carmen! 💞

So, 90 minutes with corn startch vs 10-20 with the malto. That's closer to a normal edible which suggests it's not getting absorbed as quickly as the malto which makes sense.

Can you try straight white sugar and see if you get a quicker reaction? I've been using sugar this week and it dissolves well and adds sweetness to whatever it's put in. But I use it with CBD so no reaction to compare it to.

The downside to sugar is the glycemic index, only slightly less than the malto, but sugar should be very quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. Another option I'm trialing is molasses which has a much lower GI value but that may also suggest it gets absorbed less quickly.

So, 90 minutes with corn startch vs 10-20 with the malto. That's closer to a normal edible which suggests it's not getting absorbed as quickly as the malto which makes sense.

Can you try straight white sugar and see if you get a quicker reaction? I've been using sugar this week and it dissolves well and adds sweetness to whatever it's put in. But I use it with CBD so no reaction to compare it to.

The downside to sugar is the glycemic index, only slightly less than the malto, but sugar should be very quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. Another option I'm trialing is molasses which has a much lower GI value but that may also suggest it gets absorbed less quickly.
What do you mean with sugar? Is that just oil + lecithin + sugar? What proportions of each? I'll certainly give that a try but wouldn't want to make it a habit. What type of sugar is best?

This is the kind of feedback we need to get. Experimenting and learning as we go.
When you test tomorrow, see if the high comes on any faster. Mine has been hitting between 20 and 30 minutes the last couple of times. Definitely faster than when I used to have edibles regularly each day.
Great. I'm interested to see tomorrow vs tonight.
I get high on mine, but different strains and different dosages are going to be key players for me because I'm just getting back into this after a few years away.

How did the cornstarch do for dissolving in the drinks? Any residue at the bottoms?

Truly appreciate your detailed results and information, Carmen! 💞
The liquids were a little textured and carried a mild cannabis flavour but barely distinguishable and far nicer than a spoon of oil in a mug of coffee which was my go to before. There was no residue at the bottom of the mug.

What do you mean with sugar? Is that just oil + lecithin + sugar? What proportions of each? I'll certainly give that a try but wouldn't want to make it a habit. What type of sugar is best?
Basically mix your oil and bud at your normal ratio (I do 2g/tablespoon) , decarb and infuse, then add lecithin at 1 tablespoon per 8oz and figure out your dose and then add sugar to taste. I did 1:8 oil:sugar but plan on trying other ratios.

Basically mix your oil and bud at your normal ratio (I do 2g/tablespoon) , decarb and infuse, then add lecithin at 1 tablespoon per 8oz and figure out your dose and then add sugar to taste. I did 1:8 oil:sugar but plan on trying other ratios.
I'm confused. So just sugar flavoured oil then? I don't get it. Is the sugar supposed to accelerate the effects?

I'm confused. So just sugar flavoured oil then? I don't get it. Is the sugar supposed to accelerate the effects?
Yes. I think that's how the malto works. It's a carb that's very quickly absorbed by the body and I'll bet sugar works the same way.

Yes. I think that's how the malto works. It's a carb that's very quickly absorbed by the body and I'll bet sugar works the same way.
Interesting notion but I'm afraid it sounds like it will taste horrible. I think I'll leave the testing of this up to you :) I would have thought that once it has melted into the drink it is just the same as having cannaoil in a sugary drink?

This morning I took two teaspoons in my morning coffee. If you are going to do this, make enough coffee to enjoy a cup on its own after! There is a residue after all. I started feeling high within half an hour and by an hour I was feeling the full effects. I had a nap for a couple of hours and awoke refreshed. I had another dose an hour and a half ago and am enjoying the mild edibles buzz. I have not needed to smoke today and am grateful for that as I have bronchitis. It's a fully functional high. I just went to the art supply shop and interacted with the shop assistant. I guess I feel medicated as opposed to high.

Interesting notion but I'm afraid it sounds like it will taste horrible. I think I'll leave the testing of this up to you :) I would have thought that once it has melted into the drink it is just the same as having cannaoil in a sugary drink?
I like the taste of the sugar much more than the malto because, well, sugar.

Yesterday was the first day I replaced all 4 of my doses with the sugar version and liked it better, though I finished the day with a splitting headache. Could have been totally unrelated but I also don't consume much sugar generally so I'm going to give it a break today and try it again tomorrow and see if those results repeat.

Also, from my research it seems coconut oil is a much better carrier generally than olive oil for the cannabinoids. Coconut oil is more than 90% of a healthy fat good at absorbing the cannabinoids while olive oil is less than 15%.

So the question has been what is the maximum amount of weed one can extract onto a given volume of oil and it seems whatever the answer is, it's much higher with coconut than olive oil.

I like the taste of the sugar much more than the malto because, well, sugar.

Yesterday was the first day I replaced all 4 of my doses with the sugar version and liked it better, though I finished the day with a splitting headache. Could have been totally unrelated but I also don't consume much sugar generally so I'm going to give it a break today and try it again tomorrow and see if those results repeat.

Also, from my research it seems coconut oil is a much better carrier generally than olive oil for the cannabinoids. Coconut oil is more than 90% of a healthy fat good at absorbing the cannabinoids while olive oil is less than 15%.

So the question has been what is the maximum amount of weed one can extract onto a given volume of oil and it seems whatever the answer is, it's much higher with coconut than olive oil.
Have you looked at Sweet Sue's Cannabis Oil Study Hall?

Have you looked at Sweet Sue's Cannabis Oil Study Hall?
Wow, that link took me back a few years. I had forgotten just how much reading and valuable information was contained there.

Regarding the sugar, I won't be trying that method because of the side effects of sugar in itself on my body (headaches, dizziness, and jittery). And, because I will be using the powder in savory recipes a lot, it would add an adverse taste to those.
I've read that too much sugar can bring on headaches, and I do remember this being true before I started using less and less sugar in my coffee. I used to get morning headaches a lot, and I believe it was from all of that sugar. I'm not a one cup person, I need a few cups throughout the morning. LOL

Back
Top Bottom