The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

THE GREAT MUSHROOM HUNT

Hello everyone. Yesterday was beautiful so I went for a long walk through the woods behind our house, up the mountain. I was accompanied by Teddy the dog and the two kittens came along too. I felt like the Pied Piper. There was a particular mushroom I was after - the fabulous Parasol. So I took a few snaps for you.

The woods are carpeted with cyclamen right now.

DSC_13481.JPG
DSC_13492.JPG
DSC_13503.JPG

Conifers always mark a chapel. This is the high chapel of Elijah the Prophet.

DSC_13512.JPG

The woods are full of old stone terraces.

DSC_13662.jpg
DSC_13652.JPG
DSC_13733.JPG
DSC_13801.JPG
DSC_13742.JPG
DSC_13754.JPG

Ah, some mushrooms. This one is either Boletus Badius (despite its name, very good indeed) or possibly Russula Emetica (a good Greek word telling you pretty much what it does). So we'll leave that.

DSC_13603.JPG

This I think is Red-Stained Inocybe. Definitely to be avoided.

DSC_13641.JPG

And I've no idea what this black one is.

DSC_13581.JPG

Fortunately I'm sure that this innocuous-looking little chap is a young Death Cap. If you ingest this you've got 48 hours to finish your bucket list. Well, more like 6 hours because you're not going far after that. Kills more people in Europe than any other mushroom. Who'd have thought it?

DSC_13632.JPG

Ah, these are what I'm after...

DSC_13522.JPG
DSC_13611.JPG
DSC_13563.JPG
DSC_13781.JPG

On the way home I popped into the St Haralambros chapel behind our house. I've told his story in my on-topic thread. He actually lived on this spot and his spring water feeds my girls. He's easily identifiable by his world class beard.

DSC_13811.JPG
DSC_13832.JPG

Result! Plus a couple of Ink Caps from the lawn.

DSC_13883.JPG

DSC_12971.jpg

A bit of an egg and parmesan dip, then the bread-crumbs, fry for a few minutes.....and who says there's no such thing as a free lunch?

Pip Pip!

:love: Mr Teddy x

I had to pry this little guy away from the yard beasts the other day. You can see the forsythia turning purple in the background as well.

IMG_20141015_115704.jpg

First of all, Mr. Teddy! Wonderful photos, I thoroughly enjoy looking at your photographs over and over again. It's so nice that you let the dog and the kittens follow you. They must just love you crazy. LOL The cyclamen remind me of little moths flitting their way above the ground. So pretty.
The mushrooms you were on the hunt for, I really have never tried. I see them all over out here and have never gotten up the nerve to try them even though they are listed in my book as choice. Guess next year I will have a go at them. ;-) Thanks a bunch!

And SmokesDaKush, you are so kind. That poor Robin looks scared to death. I hope he knows what you saved him from.
Nice picture, thank you for the smiles.

Lester, I have never seen giant puffballs. That is an awesome shot showing how they explode. When we were kids we used to take sticks and force the puffballs here to release the spores. Maybe that's why there are so many of them here now? LOL

Thanks for prompting me back over here this weekend, I have been busy on other threads this week.

I will have a pic coming up shortly....

Relaxed Lester, I think you just identified what I found under my pine tree. Looked just like that. I kicked it and a bunch of dust blew out everywhere. It was dead and dryed up though but cool none the less..

Cannafan, The poor little guy was trying to learn how to fly. Everytime he tried to just walk away his head would fall forward and his beak would trip him up. Your fire bush is ahead of mine...

You and I are getting a serious leaf dropping activity Radogast. :) I'll try to get some pics this weekend. I think our "Indian Summer" will be here this weekend based on the forecast. Woo hoo!

Halloween is around the corner and I have to tell you all, this is one thing I miss about living in the suburbs. The "tricks".

I had tons of fun messing with those trick or treaters. But, mostly with the parents......

My favorite "trick" was to set up a lawn chair next to the front door with some traditional small pumpkins and a little straw strewn around. Then I would dress up in an old overcoat, extra large jeans and sweatshirt and stuff some straw into the excess. A large dark hat to cover my face which had been painted dark with some hunters "make up". I would sit in the chair in a slump and looked just like a homemade scarecrow. Haven't we all seen those? LOL
As the kids would come to the door with the parents close behind, I would wait until they had their candy from my hubby..then I would quickly reach out and holler "Give me that candy!!".
I have to tell you, I had women running into the middle of the street almost wetting their pants and screaming. And a few guys too.
It was so much fun for all.

I'll have another story later....get your Friday the 13th movie set out for this one. ;-)

I had a few leaves fall on Saturday.
:rofl:

I love those fallen leaf photos. Thanks, Radogast. What a fabulous spot in the woods. Beautiful.

And your Firebush, CF....wow, I love America. Stunning. This thread has shown me so much more of our ex-colony than I knew. We should have hung onto you. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Hope all is top of the shop with everyone. I trust PeeJay's just busy.....or enjoying his harvest.

I got to thinking about those puffballs. They don't look anything like the kind of puffballs that we eat around here. (of course the ones in the pic that Lester posted are way past edible stage. LOL)

Two years ago I found some white/brownish puffballs in my back yard that varied in size from a baseball to something about triple the size of that. I had never seen them that big here. I wound up slicing some of them up into 1/2" "steaks" and fried them. Two of the slices filled the fry pan. LOL I froze the rest of the slices, but was not happy at the texture once thawed. Seriously mushy from the freezing of the moisture in them.

I have some pics of them somewhere in my old phone files, if I locate them I will upload one to show you what I mean.

:)

They are so cool aren't they? I love that picture of it puffing. Although it is not cannabis smoke! :rofl:

Trillions of spores. I think it is hard for the human mind to even comprehend the amount of spores that is.

And apparently 99% of the spores land within 100 meters of the parent puff ball.

It was funny, I had found this meaty looking marshmellow puff looking presumed to be mushroom growing in with the strawberries, it had no cap or stalk, and it was meaty and heavy. Didn't know what it was at the time. Never seen one puff before but I'd rather it did not, there's enough fungus in the air for me. :rofl:

image15141.jpg

On my way to work
Got there
image15142.jpg

image15143.jpg

There were so any butterflies on this plant, but I could only get two in photos.

Sorry about the iPhone quality.

I'm shattered, finally learned how to upload photos, and I ain't learned jack, all of them sideways :( I've seen koalas, wallabies, kangaroos and a blue tongue lizard at work this week. Oh and the colours coming in here, second month of spring.
Thanks canna, cause of this thread it's made me enjoy the beauty on offer around me. I do live in a rainforest by the beach with waterfalls, so you do have to search for the beauty, not, lol.

Ahhhh.,..the iphone uploads. I get it now Grizzwald, on the sideways problem. I think there is a tutorial here on uploading from I-phones with that issue addressed. I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit: Here ya go, read through this and see if it helps you. That link takes you to the part about sideways photos from tablets/phones:

Back
Top Bottom