The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

Damn Rad!
My world differs a touch this morning....
Butterfly plant on the left, cilantro on the right. Both fully blooming.
IMAG022425.jpg

Probably a good time to get some Creole Toms going.

Damn Rad!
My world differs a touch this morning....
Butterfly plant on the left, cilantro on the right. Both fully blooming.
IMAG022425.jpg

Probably a good time to get some Creole Toms going.

When I lived in Arizona, I never knew when to plant tomatos. If you didn't get your fruit on by Apr-May it wouldn't happen because it was too hot for the flowers to polinate.

I added soil to my cilanto seedling this morning. She was having trouble standing up.

I just woke my cilantro baby up from her nap to take this snapshot

20161230_001016-1.jpg

You gotta jump on 'em early down here. I never knew the mechanism behind the Tom summer death. Thanks.

It's kinda funny for me to see cilantro grown carefully in a garden. Mine just pop up about Oct/Nov when the weather cools, then sometimes the cold kills them off, but they'll just pop back up in a month. I always just let some seed out and feed the next generation. Gives me a pretty constant supply of it at hand just a few steps from the kitchen. This whole process has been rolling since I moved in and put the raised bed up. Yup... funny.

Some day I'd like to find my way out of the urban jungle where planting option suffer size limitations. I need an acre or two in the backyard to play with some veggies. Hmmmm.... perhaps an acre or two in a friendlier environment or even (gulp!) a legalized state. It's good to dream....

Very nice! While I love to cook a holiday meal, I've often been very tempted.

So, your roof leak.... Can't you just do a temporary patching job with the thick roofing tar to get your thru the winter?

That's exactly what I had to do on one end of my roof just before snow started. This spring will be some new shingling and flashing where it was supposed to be in the first place.

I absolutely love Cilantro, (thanks for the pics Radogast) I wish it would grow here without planting it. I suppose if I plant some in spring.....is it perennial?

Thanks for the pics, I love to see ground not hidden completely in snow right now. :laugh:

You gotta jump on 'em early down here. I never knew the mechanism behind the Tom summer death. Thanks.

It's kinda funny for me to see cilantro grown carefully in a garden. Mine just pop up about Oct/Nov when the weather cools, then sometimes the cold kills them off, but they'll just pop back up in a month. I always just let some seed out and feed the next generation. Gives me a pretty constant supply of it at hand just a few steps from the kitchen. This whole process has been rolling since I moved in and put the raised bed up. Yup... funny. Some day I'd like to find my way out of the urban jungle where planting option suffer size limitations. I need an acre or two in the backyard to play with some veggies. Hmmmm.... perhaps an acre or two in a friendlier environment or even (gulp!) a legalized state. It's good to dream....

If you can find a source of water, everything grows in Southern and Central California. You might miss the humidity but it's as legal as USA possible.
I had an acre or two in Massachusetts but nothing grew. You can grow more plants in 100 sq ft of California, than 5 acres there.
Arizona mostly grew heat loving plants well (bouganvilla and cacti heaven.)

It looks like Illinois loves to grow plants like California does. I'll know more this time next year. :)

That's exactly what I had to do on one end of my roof just before snow started. This spring will be some new shingling and flashing where it was supposed to be in the first place.

I absolutely love Cilantro, (thanks for the pics Radogast) I wish it would grow here without planting it. I suppose if I plant some in spring.....is it perennial?

Thanks for the pics, I love to see ground not hidden completely in snow right now. :laugh:

I know nothing about Cilantro - It seems to be an annual. Thats why they make google :)

If you can find a source of water, everything grows in Southern and Central California. You might miss the humidity but it's as legal as USA possible.
I had an acre or two in Massachusetts but nothing grew. You can grow more plants in 100 sq ft of California, than 5 acres there.
Arizona mostly grew heat loving plants well (bouganvilla and cacti heaven.)

Ahh.... maybe mid Cal... but more likely I will return to the stomping grounds of my birth and find a little cabin on a hilltop of the Oregon coastal range. You know... 4 logging roads and a mud trail that no normal vehicle could ever traverse lead to a log cabin on a hidden hilltop.
Yup... the dream lives.

Luvs me some bouganvilla. When I lived in B-ham I'd have to take it indoors every year. Down here it grows like a prickly weed all year.
Ran into some gardenia seeds this afternoon. Got a fence that needs some decorating. Should be nice.

Canna, love me some cilantro as well, but in our parts, it is an annual and seeds out pretty quickly....better to grow indoors if you ask me...with our cannabis....

And Rado, I, too, jacked your beautiful first picture of the winter wonderland....superb!

Ahh.... maybe mid Cal... but more likely I will return to the stomping grounds of my birth and find a little cabin on a hilltop of the Oregon coastal range. You know... 4 logging roads and a mud trail that no normal vehicle could ever traverse lead to a log cabin on a hidden hilltop.
Yup... the dream lives.

Luvs me some bouganvilla. When I lived in B-ham I'd have to take it indoors every year. Down here it grows like a prickly weed all year.
Ran into some gardenia seeds this afternoon. Got a fence that needs some decorating. Should be nice.

Oregon plus mud - :rofl: NOW you're talking !

As long as that hidden hilltop has a mighty fine meadow close by you are on to something.

I would have suggested Oregon, but I figure your blood runs real cold after a few winters in New Orleans. I've got a WW2 mil spec sheepskin bomber coat that I bought when I moved from Scottsdale, AZ to a 116" of snow winter in Albany, NY. At the time, I couldn't see how it would keep someone warm in the cold altitudes of the sky.

Contrast to now, I went outside this morning to take a picture of the butterfly bush near a patch of snow in the backyard. I debated putting on shoes or a hoodie, but I was just too lazy to slip them on before a short trip outside. That sheepskin bomber coat has spent the last 4 winters in the closet because I won't consider putting in on over zero and I don't have to go outside when it's under zero :) The human body is a wonderful and adaptable thing :laugh:

We swim in similar waters. In my case, it's a full length leather duster with the most wonderful liner... much more fitting for a rider on a steed cresting a ridgeline rather than a shorts and sandal wearing hippie eating his way thru a steamy urban jungle. It lives in the closet still, having been maintained yearly for nearly 2 decades.

I've actually got some fairly formal plans going for a northwestern migration some time later in life. My sweetie is a type 1 diabetic and I suspect I'll outlast her.... so perhaps upon her exodus I'll make the move. I have my eye on a region (somewhere between Tillamook and Siletz) that I'm very familiar with but has probably changed significantly over the years.

Of course, it's really all a touch of romantic dreaming... but dreams + plans = actions after all, so something might happen there. Next step would be to find a corner of land somewhere.

I'm sure I'll look really good emerging from a log cabin with a thick layer of snow on the ground wearing a now significantly worn leather duster. Tho I've not formally settled on a hat style for this Rockwellian painting, I'm sure it will be very complementary.

hmmm.... a different kind of 'seasonal change' for the thread this morning. Please pardon the romantic detour... back to our normally scheduled programming of pretty pictures and words.

Prider.jpg

Your "detour" was welcomed this morning Tead. (I am a huge Clint Eastwood fan. The westerns, not the later movies)
I will never forget night time fishing for smelt at Lake Michigan, it was always just before the freezing started. One of our compadres used to wear his leather duster while he fished. I would not have used a perfectly good leather duster for fishing in a lake. LOL

Your dreams are a wonderful picture.

I'm going to head outside today and see what the world has been doing the past week while I've been a shut in. :)

Hey Tead, a leather duster is cool. I was tempted by a Firefly Brown Cloak a few years ago but settled on a a sort of Inverness cloak.

Two days ago, It had it's first midwestern showing after several winters in Boston. I left the top hat in the car as I don't think the natives at the meat market and pedicure palace were quite ready for the full effect :)

Me in my Inverness and modern top hat.

1483203837156-1.png

I have a few cowboy hats, but over time I often change them into fedoras - like this one - which I left on the Amtrak Crescent returning from New Orleans.

1483203999196-1.png

Oh dude... launchin me directly into the Paint Your Wagon mode. I'd dig out the DVD but a wise Tead knows this simply wouldn't pass muster with the spousal unit.
I often sing a tune along my journeys thru the Qtr. Occasionally this tune is actually 'I Talk To the Trees' or 'Wanderin Star'. Lately I've been trying out 'Gold Fever'.

I believe I could add some liquor to the subject of your photos and come away with a pretty good Ben Rumson (Lee Marvin). You know... the drunk with a brain and some common sense and some liquor enhances his ability to be offended by other's transgressions upon said common sense.... or perhaps just a touch of whimsical chaos could be visited upon those about.

So nice you were able to employ such whimsical garb once again... 'Old Ben'.
Of course, we all know such attire is pretty common 'round this bend in the river. I sure do appreciate a touch of apparel creativity. Then again, my last run in with creative apparel included a plastic horse head and condoms.

Oh.... I was a weekend regular on that Crescent run between Bham and NOLA many years back. You'll not find any evidence of Tead lifting that fedora... oh no... no evidence at all.

Back
Top Bottom