The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

I've has this little thing come up in one of my Los pots. Any ideas as to what it is?

DSC_64051.JPG

It almost looks like ground ivy, or bittercress. I can't be sure. Hopefully someone else will know at first glance.

:)

It looks a lot like a plant my neighbors call a weed and I see as a nice variation in texture :)

This was yesterday, 64 degrees....Sunny:

yesterday.jpg

This is today, 33 degrees and snowing like crazy:

today18.jpg

Cold and flu season, didn't miss me. I had some chicken noodle soup for breakfast to break up congestion. It worked so well, I went outside for the snow pic. Then I got to thinking, this age old remedy of chicken soup for colds...is it really something that works with our bodies, or is it all in the mind?
Studies show there is actually a bodily reaction that causes it to work for relieving congestion and other symptoms. So Grandma was spot on with that one.

Here's one article I found on it:

Chicken Soup Really Is Good for a Cold
By MELISSA SCHORR B O S T O N, Oct. 17

Grandma was right, after all: Chicken soup is good for the cold, not just the soul.

Using an in-depth laboratory analysis of old-fashioned chicken soup, a team of medical researchers explored the science behind the broth’s reputation as salvation for the sniffly.

Dr. Stephen Rennard, a pulmonary expert at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, found evidence the soup contains anti-inflammatory properties that may help prevent a cold’s miserable side effects.

“My wife’s grandmother says that chicken soup is good for colds,” explains Rennard, whose findings were published in the current issue of Chest, the journal of the American College of Chest Physicians. “Just because your grandma said something doesn’t mean that it’s not true.”

Used in Ancient Times The idea that chicken soup, often dubbed the “Jewish penicillin,” has medicinal effects dates back to ancient times, but modern scientists have never fully deciphered the reasons.

Some doctors believe that the soup’s benefits are mainly psychosomatic, that it’s the ultimate comfort food. Others say the steaming hot soup clears congestion and provides the body with necessary hydration to flush out viral bugs.

Researchers believe colds are caused by viral infections in the upper respiratory tract. The body responds with inflammation, which triggers white blood cells to migrate to the area.

These bacteria-devouring cells, however, have little ability to kill off a virus, and as a side effect, stimulate the production of mucous, which may cause the traditional cold season symptoms of stuffy heads, coughs and sneezing.

In the lab, Rennard tested the ability of those white blood cells to migrate from one side of a chamber across a filter to the other side, as they normally do. In the presence of the chicken soup, however, he noted that fewer cells migrated to the other side of the chamber.

His theory is that some ingredient in the soup blocks or slows the amount of cells congregating in the lung area, possibly relieving the development of these cold symptoms.

Biological Basis Unclear

Rennard tested a family recipe passed down from his wife’s Lithuanian grandmother that contained chicken, onions, sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, carrots, celery, parsley, salt and pepper.

The white blood cells migrated less often in the presence of each of the tasty ingredients. But it remains unclear what chemical compound within the ingredients prevented their motion.

“The biologically active material is unknown,” Rennard admits. “It may be that some complex chemistry takes place, that the entire concoction makes it work.”

If you’re feeling too sick to get out of bed and cook, take heart: Rennard also examined 13 brands of canned chicken soups and found many may work even better than homemade.

They included Knorr’s chicken noodle, Campbell’s Home Cookin’ chicken vegetable, Campbell’s Healthy Request chicken noodle, Lipton Cup-o-soup chicken noodle and Progresso chicken noodle.

“You hate it when your grandma’s soup doesn’t come in first,” Rennard says, “but in our house, in terms of which one taste best, grandma’s soup wins hands down.”

When I lived in the woods, 3 or 4 times a year there would be a full moon night where the sky was clear and the moonlight cast shadows deep into the woods. The squirrels, woodpeckers, foxes, crow, deer and other creatures would be out and about - as if it was twilight all night. There was an air of magical mystery, potentiality, and danger.

I would walk the woods quietly. Listening. Tasting the air. Careful to avoid those places best left to creatures not fully part of this world.

The full moon tonight is such a night in the ravines and wooded hillsides a couple of blocks away.

My phone says it is 8 degrees outside with a windchill of -2. The web says local natives called this december full moon "The Long Cold Moon." Some animals will roam the neigborhood and arrive late to the feeders tomorrow morning after a long night out.

I am snuggled on the couch with blankets, my wife and the cat. We are all content to let tonight's moonlight walk occur in memory and imagination.

May the blessings of the last full moon of 2016 fall gently upon you and yours.

20161212_161146-1.jpg

Thank you Radogast. So well said, and I have been on those woodsy moonlit walks as well. So quiet....and you just have the feeling that little eyes are all around you...watching and waiting to see what you're going to do.
Last nights' moon was incredible, I could see it when we were on our last break. Very bright, made the crisp snow sparkle. But the wind chill....could freeze your fingers in no time at all.
I'm going to try to get some pictures today, winter storm Decima appears to be arriving later than first expected. Today has little spots of sunshine here and there.

Beautiful black squirrel!

:circle-of-love:

I, too, noticed the moon tonite when I took my Auggie the doggie out to go potty.....spectacular....I moved the horses into the barn; pretty unusual as they prefer the outdoors and have tremendous thick coats....but not tonite...gonna awake to some double digit minus lows in the morning with wind....they even went into the same stall to be together (a horse and a mini in a 12 X 12 stall), which I didn't object to since they can feed off each other's body warmth...I figure they will remain in the barn until Sat when it is scheduled to warm up and rain....go figure....!

I hope they stay warm Shawnee. I was raised on a horse ranch, it's amazing how much those fur bearing beauties can endure. :)

I got ONE picture yesterday. From inside the truck. I tried for a few outside, but where this is at there are gale winds and my fingers got so cold so quickly that they would not work on the phone to take the pics.
This lake is freezing up quickly, we'll be seeing ice fishing on there within a week, I suspect.

Winter_is_here.jpg

I just jumped in my truck to ride over to the neighbor's to feed their 4 cats while they are away in Vegas.....baby it's cold outside.....they will be in for a rude awakening when they get back tomorrow!

We are getting some serious snow right now. White out in the front yard, and I cannot see the woods. Not going to be a fun drive to work.
When I got home last night I started to crawl into bed after dinner and could not believe how much colder it was in there than the rest of the house. I finally decided to investigate. When I opened the window curtains I saw the windows were icy. Well...okay...it's winter...that happens, but still a problem. However, there was a clear draft coming right at me and as I put my hand on the window I realized that ice was on the INSIDE of them. Oops.....
Obviously there was not a good seal on them with how old they are, so I spent the better part of two hours insulating and sealing up the frames. What a difference!
Then I took a look at a bathroom exhaust fan that always makes noise when the furnace or the air conditioner turns on. Got on the net and typed in the problem and found out it's probably due to a broken flap in the vent that is opening when it shouldn't and I am losing my heat right out the vent. I never use that exhaust fan, so I covered it up with a large clear plastic shower cap. Huh.....no more noise when the furnace kicked on.

There's going to be some permanent fixes this spring so that doesn't happen again.

I'll try to get some pictures of the snow accumulation over the weekend. Got about 3" just in the last hour or so.

We are getting some serious snow right now. White out in the front yard, and I cannot see the woods. Not going to be a fun drive to work.
When I got home last night I started to crawl into bed after dinner and could not believe how much colder it was in there than the rest of the house. I finally decided to investigate. When I opened the window curtains I saw the windows were icy. Well...okay...it's winter...that happens, but still a problem. However, there was a clear draft coming right at me and as I put my hand on the window I realized that ice was on the INSIDE of them. Oops.....
Obviously there was not a good seal on them with how old they are, so I spent the better part of two hours insulating and sealing up the frames. What a difference!
Then I took a look at a bathroom exhaust fan that always makes noise when the furnace or the air conditioner turns on. Got on the net and typed in the problem and found out it's probably due to a broken flap in the vent that is opening when it shouldn't and I am losing my heat right out the vent. I never use that exhaust fan, so I covered it up with a large clear plastic shower cap. Huh.....no more noise when the furnace kicked on.

There's going to be some permanent fixes this spring so that doesn't happen again.

I'll try to get some pictures of the snow accumulation over the weekend. Got about 3" just in the last hour or so.

Canna, I so feel you....I'm going to get another 7 inches tonite and tomorrow....my neighbors called and they can't get home from Vegas until Sunday, so I will continue to feed their 4 cats for another 2 days....that is, if I can get out of my driveway with all the snow....he is the one that plows me out.....

In addition, over 3 days this week I noticed a "bubbling" in the drywall in the paint in my bathroom ceiling that began with a water mark about the size of a basketball, which morphed into leakage and condensation dripping into a bucket that I placed beneath it to monitor as it created a hole in the drywall the size of a 50 cent piece.....oh lord have mercy, I totally freaked out....a company I called to install a new metal roof does not do anything in the winter....I took an entire day for a pity party to wrap my head around it and then the next day I spent the entire day in the grow rooms to get happy again....jesus, joseph and mary, the worst time for this to happen at the worse time of the year.....we'll see how I navigate out of this one and it will all be a big "if".

On a brighter note, I met 2 of my patients for an annual xmas Chinese lunch today: I gave them 6 months of meds in advance; 1 gave me a lovely bottle of red wine and some lip balm she made with cannabis (she is a lot like you, so resourceful with lotions, tinctures, and salves, and the other sister gave me a lovely cedar grave blanket with red ribbon that I place on my departed pet graves throughout the winter season to honor how much they were loved......

Canna, I so feel you....I'm going to get another 7 inches tonite and tomorrow....my neighbors called and they can't get home from Vegas until Sunday, so I will continue to feed their 4 cats for another 2 days....that is, if I can get out of my driveway with all the snow....he is the one that plows me out.....

In addition, over 3 days this week I noticed a "bubbling" in the drywall in the paint in my bathroom ceiling that began with a water mark about the size of a basketball, which morphed into leakage and condensation dripping into a bucket that I placed beneath it to monitor as it created a hole in the drywall the size of a 50 cent piece.....oh lord have mercy, I totally freaked out....a company I called to install a new metal roof does not do anything in the winter....I took an entire day for a pity party to wrap my head around it and then the next day I spent the entire day in the grow rooms to get happy again....jesus, joseph and mary, the worst time for this to happen at the worse time of the year.....we'll see how I navigate out of this one and it will all be a big "if".

On a brighter note, I met 2 of my patients for an annual xmas Chinese lunch today: I gave them 6 months of meds in advance; 1 gave me a lovely bottle of red wine and some lip balm she made with cannabis (she is a lot like you, so resourceful with lotions, tinctures, and salves, and the other sister gave me a lovely cedar grave blanket that she made up from her property with red ribbon that I will place on my departed pet graves throughout the winter season buried around the Shawnee Ranch to honor how much they were loved......

Back
Top Bottom