The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

I can no longer say that I've never grown corn. The chipmunks apparently missed a few seeds, there are about half a dozen very small plants. They aren't even 3 foot tall. :laugh:

corn_2.jpg

They sure have pretty manes:

corn_1.jpg

Doubt that they will be edible in any way, but at least I know they will grow there.

On the successful growing front, I have won the battle with the tomato eating chipmunks so far. Gotta love it when the tomato slices are as big as the bread slices!

sandywich.jpg

I've had three plain toasted today and one BLT from one tomato!. I'm picking up more bacon tomorrow.

:circle-of-love:

I can no longer say that I've never grown corn. The chipmunks apparently missed a few seeds, there are about half a dozen very small plants. They aren't even 3 foot tall. :laugh:

corn_2.jpg

They sure have pretty manes:

corn_1.jpg

Doubt that they will be edible in any way, but at least I know they will grow there.

On the successful growing front, I have won the battle with the tomato eating chipmunks so far. Gotta love it when the tomato slices are as big as the bread slices!

sandywich.jpg

I've had three plain toasted today and one BLT from one tomato!. I'm picking up more bacon tomorrow.

Ahh nothing like fresh maters... Enjoy!

I believe those are commonly known as Sulfur Tuft shrooms.
They are poisonous to most people.
It does resemble other species, but if you look at the little brown "nipple" on the top when they are young and fresh..your pics look exactly like them.

Look 'em up on google when you have a chance. But, don't eat them. LOL

It is so weird that you posted this today. By coincidence... I took quite a few pictures earlier today of mushrooms starting around here, and haven't had time to post them yet. :laugh:

Before mushroom pics...I have to show you guys the most interesting spider I have ever come across. This dude is neon colors and less than a half inch in size including the leg span.
A little blurry, but I did my best with the tiny thing and the wind:

neon_spider_2.jpg

Neon_spider.jpg

From what I can find, it appears to be a Venusta Orchard Spider. The description says they are tiny, but fast. And they were not incorrect on the fast part! It took forever to get it to sit in one place.

Thanks my friend, I didn't want to eat it but wondered whether beneficial or negative Impact on root system? Bio mutualism??

Ahhh.....

Most of what I remember about mushrooms in soil is that they help to break down nutrients and disperse moisture and stuff like that.
They are supposed to be a beneficial, and help promote good root growth, from what I've read. Not harmful.
Let's see what others say to that.

Edit: I did a little search. Here's an Article from Oregon State U:

Mushrooms can mean healthy soil | Oregon State University Extension Service | Gardening

A couple of clips from it:

"Mushrooms are the reproductive structures of fungi and may indicate healthy soil for trees and other plants to grow in."

Underground, below the mushrooms, are thread-like networks called hyphae. Some attach to plant roots, creating filaments that reach far into the soil, increasing the surface area of plant roots up to a thousand times. Fungal hyphae and plant roots working together are called mycorrhizae.

This week I am harmonizing with nature at it's best. or worst......as evidenced by the swelled up foot that a bug bite got me during my nature walk this morning. :laugh:

Here's the "best":

We stand united around here:

stand_united.jpg

These little bees have the oddest body structure. They move like worms, slithering and bending across the flowers instead of the normal bees rigidness:

bee_1.jpg

I am often surprised at what else appears in the photos after taking them. I completely missed that spider under the bee:

bee_2.jpg

bee_reversed.jpg

More as I edit and upload through the week.

Heirloom,
Can you tell me why my cucumbers are growing round like this instead of long? This area of the garden has been neglected. I have harvested some nice cukes out of it, but these have me stumped:

cukes_2.jpg

cukes_1.jpg

Wow! I never seen them grow like that. Very strange. I guess something in the genetics somewhere.

Okay, it's finally time for my annual Mushroom Chronicles post. There is no shortage in variety here, and that changes on a seemingly daily basis.

shrooms_81.jpg

shrooms_91.jpg

shrooms_7.jpg

shrooms_61.jpg

shrooms_51.jpg

shrooms_41.jpg

shrooms_31.jpg

shrooms_21.jpg

shrooms_1.jpg

This is a puffball:

shrooms_101.jpg

And this is what puffballs do when they mature. They burst open and spew the spores in a wide girth. As the spore stuff dries up to a powder, the wind takes it from there:

shrooms_12.jpg

The end result of my mushroom hunt at this time of year is specifically for these:

shrooms_111.jpg

They are Corals. And they are delicious! PITA to clean, but worth the effort. I have to harvest them fresh and white, they turn brown very quickly (overnight), and the turkeys will eat them too.

Speaking of turkeys, the little ones are almost adult now!

turkeys_2.jpg

turkeys_11.jpg

turkeys_3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom