The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

On my breaks of roof/gutter work, I have been muddling away on this old stove. I am praying there are no pieces missing, so far I've been lucky by studying parts and matching screw holes and rust lines or grease lines where pieces fit together. Number one problem has been that the guy who tore it to pieces painted some of the pieces! That made this quite difficult.
Here's what I have so far, the ovens are going to be a major pain:

gas_stove_1.jpg

gas_stove_2.jpg

After I've finished figuring out how it goes together, I will draw a schematic, label the parts with location info, and take plenty of pictures. Then I tear it down again and begin the restoration. First thing is to remove that danged gray paint.

Wow, what an undertaking. I would have undertaken this years ago. Not so much now. Someday I will have to tell the small chainsaw story. Imagine, drop cloths all over the living room for 2 weeks. An exploded view of a chainsaw with tools and toothbrush nearby. Saw dust every where. Yep, it started on the first pull when I got it all back together and fueled it up. And then there was the time I cut the hole in the roof........

Wow, what an undertaking. I would have undertaken this years ago. Not so much now. Someday I will have to tell the small chainsaw story. Imagine, drop cloths all over the living room for 2 weeks. An exploded view of a chainsaw with tools and toothbrush nearby. Saw dust every where. Yep, it started on the first pull when I got it all back together and fueled it up. And then there was the time I cut the hole in the roof........

I can certainly picture the exploded view! I am anxiously awaiting the "hole in the roof" story. Did you do that with the freshly assembled chainsaw to see if it worked? :laugh:

I think I'm going to go with Rustoleum Ultra High Heat paint spray in a black semi gloss. Most of the major parts of the stove are black, so it wouldn't be taking anything away from the original look....I hope. I might grab several pieces after I've scrubbed and finished with steel wool and let my dad do some painting. He's always painting parts for lawn tractors etc. Nice safe job so he'll stay away from hauling/chopping wood for awhile. :)

I have searched for hours and hours for a pic on the net using all combinations of words and descriptions, even using the different brand names it was under. There isn't a picture anywhere on this exact model stove, in that brand name, with the double hoods. It's just crazy, because a pic would be so helpful!

On my breaks of roof/gutter work, I have been muddling away on this old stove. I am praying there are no pieces missing, so far I've been lucky by studying parts and matching screw holes and rust lines or grease lines where pieces fit together. Number one problem has been that the guy who tore it to pieces painted some of the pieces! That made this quite difficult.
Here's what I have so far, the ovens are going to be a major pain:

gas_stove_1.jpg

gas_stove_2.jpg

After I've finished figuring out how it goes together, I will draw a schematic, label the parts with location info, and take plenty of pictures. Then I tear it down again and begin the restoration. First thing is to remove that danged gray paint.

Check this out. Clark Jewel Gas Range - Vintage Appliance Ads and Info

+reps to you my friend!!! Although the advertisement isn't the exact model, mine is A317, this one is so close that I can not see a difference. Just reading the description in the ad tells me I have a piece that will need to be replaced or repaired. I had no idea what the heck it was. And looking at the ovens and reading about them told me a lot of info to help put them together now.

You're my hero for the day! :thanks:

That is an amazing undertaking. I cannot image and I have done some crazy things. Good on ya.

I had a ton of running around to do this morning, off to the folks house and then on to see a friend who has a farm.

When I got to my friends' place, I had to drive down to the gardens to find him. He was in the midst of some of the tallest Sunflower bushes I have ever seen. There is also corn in there and tons of veggies on the grounds. I wanted some pics of the Sunflowers which are clearly twice as tall as I am, and he let me into the garden. He was smirking as we stepped around in there, and I realized why.

Here's a couple long views:

Garden_18.jpg

garden_24.jpg

Let's get closer shall we? I spotted these almost immediately. After he realized I knew what they were, we had a lovely conversation about bug control and mold control. I'm sure he has always suspected I'm a grower, but nothing was clear to either of us until today. :laugh:

These plants are sooooo tall! There is a row of 4 of them there.

garden_33.jpg
garden_43.jpg

And a couple of younger ones that are about 2 foot high, but nice n bushy. I didn't get the strain names. I have to go back there again tomorrow and will ask him then.

garden_53.jpg

And a "Whatizzit" today:

whatizzit2.jpg

Lol, my was drawn to the big one in the first pic. Nice garden your friend has!

And I'll leave that whatzzit for someone else.

:circle-of-love:

:laugh: I didn't have the heart to say you are disqualified, because I KNOW you know whatitizz.

Edit: The gardens are truly amazing. This is a guy who really does live off the land. He grows almost all of his own food and is constantly harvesting or canning something. Every time I call him, I ask what he's doing and he will say "Eating a pickle". I think he eats more pickles than the whole city population in a year. :)
He's going to be teaching me a lot next year when I get into full swing gardening in the old corrals.

Back
Top Bottom