The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

Wish you had been here Heirloom. I did get my grilled tomatoes, at the folks house. They have many ready for eating.
They do some of their outdoor cooking on an antique old gas stove converted to propane that they have on the back covered deck.
I commented on how much I loved that stove, many times including today.

So, my Pops...My Dad...My hero...My buddy...says "You want one?" And I said "Sure, just as soon as I'm rich and start hitting the antique auctions." He says, "Follow me".

In his old barn is an antique Clark Jewel, 1920's gas stove with porcelain doors, knobs....etc. This is what it looks like, a pic stolen from Ebay (might be slightly different)

clark_jewel.jpg

Now, why didn't I post a pic of the one he's giving me?.......well my Pops knows full well how much I enjoy tinkering and tearing things apart and fixing things, he taught me most of that when I was a child. Along with Uncles and Brothers.

This stove is in about a gazillion pieces. It is complete, not missing any doors or anything, right down to original nuts and bolts. LOL

The person he got it from tore it completely down to recondition and do sand blasting, etc. etc. He never got around to it, and gave it to my Dad. Now it gets to be my personal project. I couldn't be more excited! And he knew I would love the opportunity to get this cleaned up and back together for my own use.

I love my Pops.

So, I did get some pretty awesome pictures while I was there. I'll upload in a bit.

Yeah, how many times can this happen to a person in one day?....ya just gotta ask yerself.

What do you see in this picture?

barn_1.jpg

At the base of the door, stuck ever so neatly to the beam is a hornets' nest in my Pops' Barn. The service door cannot be opened, he gets in using the sliding door and says the bees don't mind him at all...."Just don't piss them off"..he says. Yeah, I get that!

hornet_nest_2.jpg

Here's the bigger than a basketball nest they left from last year under the eave of one of his outbuildings:

hornet_nest_3.jpg

My folks have a pond at their place too, but it is a very small one. However....they have the most abundant array of dragonflies there. Incredible colors, including some white ones. I've never seen a white one until this year. They didn't stay still for me, but I managed one almost white....I loved the blue hues more:

dragonfly_33.jpg

dragonfly_41.jpg

And a different style:

dragonfly_22.jpg

This little moth just posed so nicely. Even turned and looked at me.

Moth_1.jpg

moth_2.jpg

A bright colored lady bug in the midst:

ladybug1.jpg

Well the challenge of the close up on Green dragonflies, odonates...odes...whatever we want to call them today, has been completed.

In all honesty, it became rather bothersome between the green one and a blue one. :laugh:

I took all of the porcelain parts of the antique stove out to scrub baked on cakes of cooking residue and other such messes off them. I used two old large coolers. I did not realize just how challenging this stove was going to be until I brought it all here and began to TRY to reconstruct. This will not be an easy or quick task by any means.

stove_parts.jpg

While I'm scrubbing and scraping away for the first hour or so, a blue dragonfly kept me company. I think the blue ones are female and the green are male. She stayed very close, even landing on my arm a couple times. They are such curious and friendly critters. She had me giggling.

blue_ode_1.jpg

blue_ode_2.jpg

I went in the house to cool off for about an hour and went back out to continue. The Mrs. had gone, but the Green dude made himself known immediately. First he landed on my hand rag. I think Denim agrees with him:

green_dragon_5.jpg

I got a couple shots of him hiding next to me in the grass. It looks like it's smiling at me...or snearing....I dunno...:

green_dragon_4.jpg

green_dragon_3.jpg

From there he got rather playful. He landed on my head, stayed there quite awhile. Even while I was moving.
Then he plopped onto my glasses, I didn't let him stay there.

Then he rested on my cooler while I was splashing water around.

It made the heat bearable, having fun with the dragons. :laugh:

Went out to check on my garden after sundown and found one of these hopping around my front porch. I have them all over my yard...coming out in force at night. I wish I had caught my cat fighting a rat snake this morning on the porch....my son just told me about it.
420-magazine-mobile1124878212.jpg
420-magazine-mobile537827579.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Went out to check on my garden after sundown and found one of these hopping around my front porch. I have them all over my yard...coming out in force at night. I wish I had caught my cat fighting a rat snake this morning on the porch....my son just told me about it.
420-magazine-mobile1124878212.jpg
420-magazine-mobile537827579.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Dang, you and I both. I have hundreds of little toads about the size of a fingernail everywhere I walk on my lawn. I'm sure I've damaged a few because I couldn't see them. They are so funny looking with all the bumps on them.

Would have loved to see the rat snake. Maybe you'll get another chance.

:circle-of-love:

My personal rule is, if it doesn't produce food, meds or something I NEED, it's on it's own. I won't spend money on landscaping/vanity. Just my personal quirk.

Mulching is an easy and sometimes free way to provide better soil conditions and nutrients for those plants you can't afford to feed. When you pop the seed heads and spent flowers put them right under the plant. Mix them in with whatever litter is already there. Compost on the spot, like a forest floor.

:thumb:

On a personal note, how's things with the car situation and all that?

That had to be an amazing moment Canna. Wow! What wonder. You must give off the most loving energy to attract such wildlife.

Loved the spider pictures. Timing is everything, isn't it?

That had to be an amazing moment Canna. Wow! What wonder. You must give off the most loving energy to attract such wildlife.

Loved the spider pictures. Timing is everything, isn't it?

Thanks Sue. Not sure what I'm giving off to attract these critters, but it's okay by me. My formerly elusive green Dragonfly has gotten so friendly that I expect him to be there when I go outside now. He even chased off a bald faced hornet for me while I was up on the ladder yesterday. I kid you not.

He looks at me like he's saying, (in a singing child's voice) "Whatcha doin'?"

green_dragon_22.jpg

Green_Dragon3.jpg

I have one more round of roof/gutter repair today, so I hope the company is as good as yesterday. :laugh:

Here's a couple more shots at the little park I forgot to upload yesterday. Landscape type, there was no shortage of wildflowers there in front of the lake:

park_1.jpg

park_2.jpg

Oh thank you Canna. Thistles are one of my favorites. Do you have goldfinches harvesting them?

Back
Top Bottom