The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

Canna I even use the DE in flea powder... I mix it with yarrow flower powder and neem leaf powder... I add a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil for the dogs but leave it out for the cat... I hate the pesticides they try and make you use... But this mixture works better than any flea crap I have ever used and it doesn't hurt my animals... DE is amazing stuff... I even put the mixture around the outside of my windows and around the perimeter of the house... I have been amazed at the difference in bugs getting in my house... Just FYI...:)... Hope you're enjoying your long weekend....:circle-of-love:

Yes all of my plants are outside. Here is a picture of the insect but mine is white. Is it a plant hopper too...can they be white
planthopper.jpg

Yepper, they can be white.

Canna I even use the DE in flea powder... I mix it with yarrow flower powder and neem leaf powder... I add a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil for the dogs but leave it out for the cat... I hate the pesticides they try and make you use... But this mixture works better than any flea crap I have ever used and it doesn't hurt my animals... DE is amazing stuff... I even put the mixture around the outside of my windows and around the perimeter of the house... I have been amazed at the difference in bugs getting in my house... Just FYI...:)... Hope you're enjoying your long weekend....:circle-of-love:

I totally agree. I am just discovering the many uses of this powder. My Mom has an issue this year with the really big black ants, we know where they are coming in. We dusted the whole area with DE powder and I put some jars of sugar water in her cupboard to get the ones that are already inside. They bite hard! I'm going to check on things this weekend, but I'm sure it helped or she would have called me by now.

I am enjoying my long weekend....but I'm finding that everything I am doing and have planned is all work. LOL I have 7 projects going at once outside right now. :laugh:

Our weather is supposed to be sunny and 80's all three days. How about yours?

:circle-of-love:

Heirloom, would it benefit my tomato grow area to put compost over the top of it? It's really nothing more than grass/leaves/wood chips. I don't have a true compost pile where you would throw scraps and such on it, just natural stuff.

Absolutely, Canna. A couple inches worth. Maybe forked in lightly. Then if you have some uncomposted materials to mulch over that with, your soil will be really happy. And in turn your plants.

And again with the water.... light, frequent, even water is one of the differences between a good garden and a great one. Mulch with drip irrigation and a timers are your best friends. Easy to dial in the needed frequency and length of waterings. That ability is sorely missed.

Water infrastructure is near the top of my farm 'to do' list. Right now I have only 2 spigots on the property. All of this is hand watered right now. I've done the engineering. Now I need to get the materials and hire a trencher.

:Namaste:

I used some miracle grow on the tomatoes last night...I am guessing that is the wrong thing to do. Also I think I have to use the neem oil on my MJ cuz I saw a white high back flying insect on my plant leaves this am.

Can you be more specific on which MG? They have a few products.

IF you have the blue water soluble salts....

MG might help a little in the short run. But it's ratios are wrong for tomatoes to do really well. IIRC MG is like 24-8-16. That's a 3-1-2 ratio with the 'ratio key' nutrient being the P. That is, for every 1 part P, there are 3 parts N and 2 parts K. If we look at the Tomato-tone bag label of 3-4-6, again with P as the 'key' nutrient, it's ratio is .75-1-1.5.

MG does have a tomato-centic fertilizer. 18-18-21.

In garden speak the MG will grow nice big green plants but have fewer fruits than a plant fed the Tomato-tone. This is because they are N sensitive.

In addition to having low N requirements, tomatoes have a high calcium requirement. Tomato-tone has 8% Ca in it. Garden-tone as 5%. Can't remember what MG has, but I think it's none. Magnesium also sticks in my memory as being nonexistent. With out those two critical elements, there's no use applying more N.

1/4 cup gypsum dressed in the top couple inches of soil around each plant, watered in with Epsom salt 1Tbsp/gallon. This will supply Ca, Mg and Sulfur and will not affect PH. You can go up from there if they respond well.

So think of it this way, the difference between MG and either of the -tone products, or MG vs most anything else, is the difference between a healthy, well rounded home cooked meal and chicken mcnuggets. What you're feeding your plants is a steady diet of junk food. And the biology in the soil is paying the true cost.

Do yourself a favor and only use the MG as a foliar treat once in a while. Don't let it soak the ground. Get the soil fixed up and you will be rockin' more tomatoes than you'll know what to do with.

And buds. But you probably know what to do with those.:cheesygrinsmiley::Rasta:

Sorry if I come across...IDK...short or forceful in anyway at times. It's just my nature, I'm fairly direct, I say everything with love.

I won't be able to get it til Friday but I will. We just cut the yard today so the boys are gathering the clippings....I have a bunch if coffee grinds and left over food....no meats...like veggies...that was going to put in a tin can with grass clipping...chicken poop..egg shells..banana peels and a little water to put in the sun to compost. Should I mix these items...minus the chicken poop...into the first couple of inches then lay the grass clippings?

Heir, thanks for the information! I wish I had a drip irrigation system available where the tomato garden is.
This big azzed house, they installed one single spigot on the outside of the house. That spigot line is run directly to the house line that goes through the water softener! One of my projects this weekend is to trace that line down and see if I can redirect it to not go through the softener line.

I did a drip system...actually more of a light spray system, out of an old garden hose by poking random holes in it and placing it in the flower beds by the pond a couple years ago, that line is connected to the well for the sprinklers, but it is way too far away from the house. I can control the amount of water using the spigot. Having a garden hose going across my entire back lawn up to the house would not be good. I WOULD go over it with the mower. LOL

I won't be able to get it til Friday but I will. We just cut the yard today so the boys are gathering the clippings....I have a bunch if coffee grinds and left over food....no meats...like veggies...that was going to put in a tin can with grass clipping...chicken poop..egg shells..banana peels and a little water to put in the sun to compost. Should I mix these items...minus the chicken poop...into the first couple of inches then lay the grass clippings?

Compost it first. Add 50% total volume dry brown matter. Straw, leaves etc. And if you can get some of that forest humus (under a fallen log) then add some too. It inoculates your compost with all the organisms needed.

A tin can might affect PH and do funny chemistry stuff. A plastic bin that drains would be better. And you can capture any leachate that comes out and add it to water for your plants. Or you can put it on the ground and cover it over to keep animals out. Cover it with paper or cardboard. Won't be long before the worms find it.

Heir, thanks for the information! I wish I had a drip irrigation system available where the tomato garden is.
This big azzed house, they installed one single spigot on the outside of the house. That spigot line is run directly to the house line that goes through the water softener! One of my projects this weekend is to trace that line down and see if I can redirect it to not go through the softener line.

I did a drip system...actually more of a light spray system, out of an old garden hose by poking random holes in it and placing it in the flower beds by the pond a couple years ago, that line is connected to the well for the sprinklers, but it is way too far away from the house. I can control the amount of water using the spigot. Having a garden hose going across my entire back lawn up to the house would not be good. I WOULD go over it with the mower. LOL

You're welcome Canna!

A simple timer wouldn't hurt. It also doesn't forget to turn off the water (I emptied a 10k gallon tank by accident once). Just sayin'.....anything to aid the process and get better results. They have some basic mechanical ones, like older kitchen timers, but with a valve instead of a bell.

I way prefer the drip tape or 1/4 line with drip emitters. With the spray you can't water mid day with out spotting leaves. And on windy days it just blows all over. Drip can be under the mulch, even buried in the ground. I'm from Cali. Efficient water use and conservation is brainwashed into me.

Another first this year, besides the first time blooming, the Wisteria are now giving me seed pods! These are so cool, they look and feel just like velvet.

Wisteria_Seed_Pods_1.jpg

I didn't know for sure at first, so I cut a small one open and there are two seeds forming in it. Now I have to research when to harvest them, they are supposed to be dark and you can shuck them just like pea pods:

wisteria_seed_pods_2.jpg

Looking at the photo, it appeared to me to be two aliens getting ready to take off in their space pod:

wisteria_seed_pods_3.jpg

Is that what you've got in flower all around your decking?

I see the Aliens :thumb: love your 'interpretations'

Hi my friend! The smell goods around the decking are Honeysuckle. I get two blooms per season out of them.
They do tend to take over areas though.
I actually let them take over the flower bed by the pond because it is slowly eroding, it's on a slope. I'm hoping the Honeysuckle roots will help keep the erosion down.

we want more pic's.
we need visions of natural health to promote the desire to heal.
we demand the freedom to experience the natural realm.
No matter how small we measure against the planet, solar system, galaxy, universe, Infinity, we still can appreciate what we can comprehend, perceive, experience.
We request that you continue to be our means to enhance our education.
:Namaste::goodjob::thumb::thanks:
Dan.

We shall try to keep the universe in balance for you with more pictures, educational if we can. :laugh:

Hi my friend! The smell goods around the decking are Honeysuckle. I get two blooms per season out of them.
They do tend to take over areas though.
I actually let them take over the flower bed by the pond because it is slowly eroding, it's on a slope. I'm hoping the Honeysuckle roots will help keep the erosion down.

Honeysuckle reminds me of my childhood when daddy taught us how to suck them. Can I take a piece of some I saw yesterday growing wild and root it. If so what is the best way

Honeysuckle reminds me of my childhood when daddy taught us how to suck them. Can I take a piece of some I saw yesterday growing wild and root it. If so what is the best way

Honeysuckle is probably one of the easiest rooting that I have ever done. Just take a branch and stick it in water.
If you can grab a section that is on the ground, pull it up. It will have roots all over it. They don't usually just lay on the ground, when they hit the ground they grab it! LOL (just my experience with what I have)
Take a section with some leaf growth on it for sure.

Some people put the cuttings directly into soil after applying rooting hormone powder. I have always done my cutting in a dark glass, in water and set them in the windowsill until they have roots. Grandpa's way....works perfectly.

Take a pot of soil to the host plant. Take a branch and loop it into then out of the soil in the pot. Just bury the stem a little. Stick a rock or something on it to keep it down and help retain moisture.

The branch will root, just like Canna said, except it's rooted right into a pot for you to transplant. A month or two you can cut the branch from the host plant and take your well rooted clone.

This way you don't rely on it taking energy and resources to root, then get started growing again.

They call it air layering. But usually it's done with a bag of soil affixed to a branch, say a tree or something. Hence the air part, because the roots form in the bagged soil up in the air. Honeysuckle obviously is flexible and easy to bend a whip down to a pot or five. A bonus is you have less monitoring. Just let it go and make sure the soil is a little damp.

Back
Top Bottom